News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 11

Unpopular opinions you hold

RainbowJude Profile Photo
RainbowJude
#250Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:31am

I'm not sure how popular or not this is as an opinion, but I really think that TALES OF THE CITY needs to be taken further. I largely loved the score when I heard it and I think the show is in good enough shape to warrant some tinkering and go places.

Musical Cyberspace: a tribute to the musicals of Broadway and beyond.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#251Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:33am

I think it's a bit of an open joke on here that I'm a big Tales supporter--but I think it definitely needs a recording. Re-reading the books, Act I is pretty much as perfect as you could translate it to the stage.

RainbowJude Profile Photo
RainbowJude
#252Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:37am

Don't know why it would be a joke. You're clearly a man with good taste. Unpopular Opinions

Musical Cyberspace: a tribute to the musicals of Broadway and beyond.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#253Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:40am

A sucker is born every minute ( thanks! :) )

michellek45
#254Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:52am

I don't understand the hate for Lea Michele. She's not the best singer/actor in the whole world, but she's nowhere near as bad as some people here make her out to be.

AMH Profile Photo
AMH
#255Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 2:02am

- Ethel Merman is not the end all, be all for Broadway roles
- I find Patti LuPone to be quite obnoxious (not sure how popular/unpopular this is)
- Stephen Sondheim is one of the greatest composers of all time; right up there with Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, George and Ira Gershwin, and Harry Warren

I thing the problem with the lyric is "and the other was blue" sounds like it's fishing for a rhyme. I've imagined a line reading making sense of it by saying it in disgust, conveying that one was borrowed and the other is blue, which is not my color.

Why over-analyze the lyric? It works.

"I'm the swell swab on the poop deck."

staunchcharacter Profile Photo
staunchcharacter
#256Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 3:45am

I love sister act....like REALLY love it. I would even choose it over Follies. (I feel a little guilty for saying that)

TheHappyPhantom
#257Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 4:06am

You should feel guilty for saying that.

Miranda3
#258Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 4:45am

1. I not only like Mandy Patinkin and all his mannerisms, but I also think he's hot.
2. I disliked "Rent" so much that I left at intermission.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#259Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:04am

Thought of some more....

I loved Cry-Baby, and I saw it 6 times. I could watch Spencer Liff, Charlie Sutton and whoever the third featured male dancer was every day and not get bored. Carly Jibson was also great, as was Christopher J Hanke.

Sutton has annoyed me ever since Little Women closed. I was glad that I saw Anything Goes when she was out of it, but found the whole show boring. For me, instead of Anything Goes, it was more like Everything Bores, except for the sailors...they excited me.

I have nothing against Frank Wildhorn, and I really hope that Bonnie and Clyde is well received. I thought it was good, but wished that the whole thing it was more exciting and suspenseful. The beginning dragged a bit.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#260Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:34am

"Why over-analyze the lyric? It works.

Your not SERIOUSLY saying that about Sondheim.. that man who if two words get changed in a show 15 people in a thread re psychoanalyzing the whole show as well as huge portions of their own lives because they connected with that particular lyric at some cosmic moment in their live and now need to know if they are still living their lives according to the Gospel of Sondheim?

Why not just admit that sure he's a fantastic lyricist but everyone stretches it every now and then?

Midnight Radio
#261Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 9:57am

Catherine Zeta-Jones was a much better Desiree than Bernadette

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#262Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 10:11am

XMAN8-- marry me :) We'll have a huge Starlight wedding

watchmesoar
#263Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 10:20am

I love Lestat.

I think Idina Menzel is one of the most overrated female actresses I ever experienced on a stage.

I think neither Mel Brooks is hilarious, nor are his musicals.

I'm German. Get used to the weird wording, spelling and/or grammar.

koam
#264Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 10:57am

RENT's score is the worst, agreed.

Born in a Ditch
#265Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 11:47am

1. I don't find Bernadette Peters exciting on stage. I don't enjoy her acting or her vocals in any show I've ever seen her in.
2. I thought Catherine Zeta-Jones deserved every bit of that Tony.
3. Laura Benanti was robbed at the Tonys last year.
4. I have seen Priscilla three times and want to go back again. It's the most fun I've had on Broadway in a long time.

westender
#266Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 12:30pm

1. I miss the Broadway I remember before Disney and pandering to the "sheeple" and their children took over. So much of what I've seen in the last decade is such utter crap and does NOT belong on Broadway.

2. NO MORE ANNIE REVIVALS. ENOUGH ALREADY.

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#267Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:00pm

1. Bernadette Peters' voice grates on me. I think it's too cutesy by far. However, I still think she is a brilliant performer. All I'm saying is that she sounds like she has major respiratory problems... But I still love her. I'm so conflicted.

2. Catherine Zeta Jones deserved that Tony over Montego Glover...

algy Profile Photo
algy
#268Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:18pm

I didn't like Jerusalem that much. I'm normally a big Mark Rylance fan, but I thought it could've done without the third act, and the whole final drumming sequence - pah.

My parents left at the 2nd interval, but boyfriend and I stayed. Thankful I got the tickets at discount or I'd've been really grumpy.

Definately not "the greatest performance of our lifetime" as the London papers are saying. Rylance is doing a good job, but it just left me a bit *meh*...

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#269Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:26pm

"Catherine Zeta-Jones was a much better Desiree than Bernadette"

A-sonofabitching-men.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#270Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:50pm

I loved Wonderland....

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

watchmesoar
#271Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 2:07pm

Me too!

I'm German. Get used to the weird wording, spelling and/or grammar.

jetts7 Profile Photo
jetts7
#272Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 2:17pm

I thought WONDERLAND was brilliant!

romgitsean
#273Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 2:38pm

"'Next To Normal' was an offensive portrayal of mental illness that seemed to have no grounding in what real people go through with this kind of condition."

I could not agree more jdrye222. I disliked N2N for a while for that very reason. However, I felt like Marin did a far superior job than Alice, which is not only an unpopular opinion, but seeing Marin is what made me like the show more.

I love Lestat, Metropolis and The Woman In White and think they are all worthy of revivals some day. I recognize that all of them have huge flaws, but I don't think they should be forgotten.

I don't think Peter Pan should be played by a woman. I just don't like it.

I loved Enron and thought Norbert should've been given a Tony for his performance.

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

TheHappyPhantom
#274Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/27/11 at 2:59pm

Totally agree with the people saying Catharine Zeta Jones deserved the Tony. She was astonishing in Night Music. The Tony performance was weird, but in the show she was great.

Videos