News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 10

Unpopular opinions you hold

Jackson Upperco
#225Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:13am

Double post. Sorry.

Merman > LuPone > Rodgers > Paige > Foster
Updated On: 11/26/11 at 11:13 AM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#226Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:38am

Please change your screenname. At a glance, it looks like "Jordan Catalano," so people are going to be constantly disappointed.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

06s091 Profile Photo
06s091
#227Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 1:57pm

I think one of the strongest ALW scores is ASPECTS OF LOVE.

random person 112
#228Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 2:28pm

i think elena roger sings don't cry for me argentina with more understanding, and emotion then patti lupone ever could or will.

BroadwayBound92 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound92
#229Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 6:26pm

Not really sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion, but I believe that "The Miller's Son" is better than "Send In The Clowns."

I like Maury Yeston's "Phantom" over ALW's "Phantom Of The Opera"

Frank Wildhorn's music is actually good, in my opinion

Emmaloucbway
#230Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 6:31pm

- I love the current revival of H2$
- I hate mamma mia
- I didn't really like Priscilla (not really an unpopular opinion though)
- I like wicked and phantom, but the are really overrated
- I enjoyed Memphis...
- I loved book of mormon, but i think the scottsboro boys deserved the tony award.
- I don't think Ave Q deserved the 2004 tony award.

GatorNY Profile Photo
GatorNY
#231Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 6:42pm

I saw Godspell this afternoon and I loved it. I can't wait to see it again.

"The price of love is loss, but still we pay; We love anyway."

TheHappyPhantom
#232Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 10:15pm

Emma, there's nothing unpopular about hating Mamma Mia. It's garbage.

Here's my list:

1. I can't stand Kristen Chenowith. Her speaking voice is nasally and obnoxious, she looks like a plastic surgery Barbie doll, and I'm convinced she's never grown adult size teeth.

2. I not at all impressed with RENT. It's full of cliche's and I don't feel sorry for a bunch of characters who made such stupid decisions.

3. Next to Normal plays like something written by some undergraduates in a 101 playwriting class. It's amateurish and has all the depth of a Katy Perry ballad.

4. I find it creepy and a little disgusting that people embrace Kathy Rigby playing a young boy. I hate gender bending in every possible situation unless done purposely, and with the intention to draw attention to it, because there's no hiding/ignoring it on stage.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#233Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 10:41pm

1) I find some of the lyrics in FOLLIES to be extremely pedestrian. (*ducks*)

2) HIGH was possibly the GREATEST play I ever saw.

3) Given the theatre it's set in, this revival of GODSPELL is brilliantly staged.

4) I'm looking forward to Ricky Martin as Che in EVITA.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

TheHappyPhantom
#234Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:07pm

Quizking, Are you aware Sondheim was imitating other writers in every song of Follies? Just curious if you took that into consideration.

Gaveston2
#235Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:13pm

^^^^Not every song, Phantom, just the so-called "pastiche" numbers (i.e., the ones that are supposed to have been performed in the imaginary Weisman Follies).

There's also the "book score" ("Don't Look at Me", "Too Many Mornings", et al.) where the characters are singing their own, present-day thoughts and feelings.

I have no idea what quizking finds "pedestrian", unless he means Sally and Buddy singing about their ordinary lives, language which is supposed to be ordinary and everyday.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#236Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:23pm

My new ones.

~I still think WICKED is one of the best musicals ever...yup...I said it
~Follies needs more fans...asap (is that unpopular? Nah)
~9 to 5 was a pretty good show. Some book fix ups and it would have done a lot better
~Sondheim and Schwartz are two of the best Musical Theater composers ever
~As said above..I think if the two ever paired up as a team they would write one hell of a musical
~Next to Normal-one of the best musicals of our time
~Lion King is very....boring

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

TheHappyPhantom
#237Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:26pm

finger, that opinion of Sondheim is not unpopular as far as I know. He's practically the only composer of our time.

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#238Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:44pm

Mary Poppins deserved the Tony award for best choreography.

Godspell is amazing.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#239Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:48pm

I think Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown was one of the best new musicals last season... It is up there with The Book of Mormon in my book.
I really do not care for the music for Scotsborro Boys and Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

flyinghighwithwicked
#240Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:55pm

-I think Alice Ripley is an incredible performer, and I LOVE her voice.
-I think Wicked is one of the strongest shows ever written (by far the strongest I have ever seen, and yes, I have seen LOTS of shows)
-Victoria Matlock was a stellar Elphaba
-True Theatre people don't hate shows for being too mainstream/successful, and they don't get bored with shows easily.
-Pirate Queen is Amazing
-Billy Elliot, while very enjoyable, is extremely overrated.
-I think stunt casting cheapens the value of a show.

quizking101
#241Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:58pm

"Quizking, Are you aware Sondheim was imitating other writers in every song of Follies? Just curious if you took that into consideration."

I didn't actually, which actually explains alot now...Thank you.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

quizking101
#242Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/26/11 at 11:58pm

"Quizking, Are you aware Sondheim was imitating other writers in every song of Follies? Just curious if you took that into consideration."

I didn't actually, which actually explains alot now...Thank you.

metropolis10111 Profile Photo
metropolis10111
#243Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/27/11 at 12:02am

If any other composer wrote the lyric:

Which dress from my wardrobe of two
One of them was borrowed and the other was blue

they would get a big eye roll...
Updated On: 11/27/11 at 12:02 AM

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#244Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/27/11 at 12:07am

I do think that Sondheim does get away with some odd lyrics. But I think his brilliant scores in general make up for it :P

BUT on that note, I do agree that some of his fans tend to come off as...snobby.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

Gaveston2
#245Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/27/11 at 12:21am

"If any other composer wrote the lyric:

Which dress from my wardrobe of two
One of them was borrowed and the other was blue

they would get a big eye roll..."

Why? There is a context to those lines: Phyllis is remembering when she was young and underpaid, owned one outfit and borrowed a second. It's particularly meaningful because she is now extremely wealthy--in fact, "American royalty"--and is musing about the "good old days" when she was poor. What's the problem?

I realize the Sondheim praise gets boring to some people here, but inventing problems where there are none does nothing to tarnish his legacy. It just makes the complaining post seem arbitrary.

AwesomeDanny
#246Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/27/11 at 12:36am

I'm not sure how popular/unpopular this is, but apart from Sondheim, Maury Yeston is my favorite composer for the theatre.

Titanic is a favorite of mine.

I think Carrie is dreadful and bad material for a musical.

In the past decade, I think the Tony for best musical went to the right show only once.

I think South Pacific has a dull book that isn't helped by the fact that the character's problems come from her own racism.

While I love Bernadette Peters in some shows (Sunday, especially) her voice really annoys me, and it just gets worse as the years go on. I really don't like what people are calling her "soprano" (meaning her head voice) that she uses in Follies. Her long, slow phrases in the show (or, on the album, at least) are really annoying.

I can't stand Carolee Carmello's huge vibrato

Gaveston2, I thing the problem with the lyric is "and the other was blue" sounds like it's fishing for a rhyme. I've imagined a line reading making sense of it by saying it in disgust, conveying that one was borrowed and the other is blue, which is not my color. Unfortunately, I've never heard that line reading, so I wonder "why is it important that the other was blue?" and it doesn't make much sense without justification. Updated On: 11/27/11 at 12:36 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#247Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/27/11 at 12:37am

It seems a lot of people don't care for Arianda Fernandez as Mimi in the RENT revival. I think she rocks. She is exactly how I envision Mimi to be. And she sings the hell out of "Without You".

Just give the world Love.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#248Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/27/11 at 12:39am

Xman8 Profile Photo
Xman8
#249Unpopular opinions you hold
Posted: 11/27/11 at 1:05am

Ahem.

1.) I hate ALW musicals (except Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat and #2)
2.) I. LOVE. STARLIGHT. EXPRESS
3.) Starmites had some fun songs
4.) Rent is too pretentious not even worth a watch.

Videos