News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread- Page 10

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#225WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 9:13am

Impossible2 said: "How is being a decent person considered a part of the 'Liberal Agenda'?"

Because that’s the world we live in, unfortunately! 

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#226WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 9:30am

Lavieboheme3090 said: "
Black lives matter b-roll? Hard pass.

Ok Boomer.
"

Ugh you beat me

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#227WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 9:48am

bk said: "joevitus said: "Impossible2 said: "joevitus said: "Hate to say it, but I find the film of Cabaret a snooze, too. Didn't used to. Still like the film of WSS, but they screwed up the Blu Ray, so I never watch it these days."

Yup Cabaret is a snooze-fest that can't even compare to the stage version.

I also think WSS is a boring AF film, so I was glad to hear he was losing a good chunk of time from it.

I agree re the bluray too, I thought it look horrid when I watched it recently.

"

The issue for me is that they screwed up during the opening overture. Suddenly near the end of it, the screen fades to black then fades in again. Drives me NUTS. Theoretically, they fixed it and issued the fixed version under a different ISBN number, but I bought one of the "fixed" copies and it's still there.
"

The "fix" wasn't a fix and made it worse, as it introduced a second of green, which is what they were trying to cover up in the fade to black. The fact is, the transfer dates way back to the beginning of DVD - they did not upgrade it, they did not rescan the 65mm negative again, which they should have. If you watch the DVD you'll see exactly what they were trying to cover up - in that old transfer, an entire few seconds of lime green came in where there was never that color - apparently the idiots who did that transfer thought that was correct, even though the color timing notes could not be clearer about the colors and how they dissolve into each other (I have copies of all the timing notes on this film). So, for Blu-ray, they hauled out that transfer, someone realized the green was wrong so they inserted the fade to black. When the outcry happen, again they weren't willing to actually do what they should have done, and simply tried to make it more of a dissolve but that brought back some green.

There is, on YouTube somewhere, a video with all the versions of the overture, from VHS to Blu-ray - the laserdisc has the correct color timing, though it obviously looks like that technology.

"

Thank you for this info!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#228WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 9:50am

I wonder how many of the hyper-energized, "woke" people posting on Twitter have seen or will see the show. I feel like Twitter/ social media will be filled with those who are speaking out against all the horrible things inside the show, and will never actually see it or try to understand it. 

I can say, I don't like the way the Anita confrontation scene is played, or complain about why the Krupie video is an insult, but I have no plans on making it to New York for the unforeseen future, so I'm not going to subject the internet with all this fighting, when I don't know what I'm talking about.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#229WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 9:52am

Impossible2 said: "How is being a decent person considered a part of the 'Liberal Agenda'?"

By having an agenda that's liberal? I think the phrase is directed at one who wears one politics on one's sleeve. Something, in art, that mostly happens with people on the left, not the right, though obviously in social interaction and politics, there are many who have a Conservative Agenda. WSS, despite a conventional storyline, has a liberal agenda; Company, despite an unconventional storyline, really doesn't.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#230WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 9:55am

YvanEhtNioj said: "Lavieboheme3090 said: "
Black lives matter b-roll? Hard pass.

Ok Boomer.
"

Ugh you beat me
"

Starting to get the impression, people using this phrase have no idea what a boomer is nor whether the person they are talking to is one. I'm sure I'll get an Ok boomer response myself, which will make me laugh (I'm Gen X; we were talking back to boomers before your conception).

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#231WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:30am

joevitus said: "Impossible2 said: "How is being a decent person considered a part of the 'Liberal Agenda'?"

By having an agenda that's liberal? I think the phrase is directed at one who wears one politics on one's sleeve. Something, in art, that mostly happens with people on the left, not the right, though obviously in social interaction and politics, there are many whohave a Conservative Agenda. WSS, despite a conventional storyline,has a liberal agenda; Company, despite an unconventional storyline, really doesn't.
"

Did you ever read Ayn Rand? Or among critics, Arlene Croce or Terry Teachout? So saying that people in the arts don't have an obvious conservative agenda is nonsense.

YvanEhtNioj
#232WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:50am

joevitus said: 

Starting to get the impression,people using this phrase have no idea what a boomer is nor whether the person they are talking to is one. I'm sure I'll get an Ok boomer response myself, which will make me laugh (I'm Gen X; we were talking back to boomers before your conception)."

You right. 

Updated On: 12/12/19 at 10:50 AM

SporkGoddess
#233WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:54am

I consider myself pretty progressive and I just feel like the black lives matter stuff would seem... shoe horned into the story. Although it's certainly important to discuss this issue and portray it in art, is this really the place for it?

I don't know, I haven't seen it and I wouldn't see this production anyway because of Amar Ramasar, so they shouldn't be trying to please me. 

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#234WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 10:55am

fashionguru_23: I usually ALSO advocate for seeing something before criticizing it, but when you are so opposed to something on a moral and/or visceral level, how would you convince someone to spend money on something they find personally abhorrent or hurtful? Hope they come along as a comped +1?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Impossible2
#235WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 11:00am

joevitus said: "Impossible2 said: "How is being a decent person considered a part of the 'Liberal Agenda'?"

By having an agenda that's liberal? I think the phrase is directed at one who wears one politics on one's sleeve. Something, in art, that mostly happens with people on the left, not the right, though obviously in social interaction and politics, there are many whohave a Conservative Agenda. WSS, despite a conventional storyline,has a liberal agenda; Company, despite an unconventional storyline, really doesn't.
"

Sorry, but that bollocks x

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#236WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 11:13am

SporkGoddess said: "I consider myself pretty progressive and I just feel like the black lives matter stuff would seem... shoe horned into the story. Although it's certainly important to discuss this issue and portray it in art, is this really the place for it?

I don't know, I haven't seen it and I wouldn't see this production anyway because of Amar Ramasar, so they shouldn't be trying to please me.
"

I actually thought it worked really well conceptually and thematically. The whole number is about being abused by the police, and the theme of violence, and youth vs. older authority is also present in the story. And of course the show already deals with race with regards to the Puerto Rican community, so expanding that to Black people in the US isn’t much of a stretch. 

My issues with it weren’t conceptual - just that the footage in the back made it feel kind of heavy-handed. Also the jauntiness of the song was kind of at odds with the more serious angle. But that was partly deliberate I think.  

SouthernCakes
#237WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 11:18am

I’m actually in my 20s. Nothing wrong with the movement and I support it. Just seems a lame and obvious attempt to be relevant and controversial.

SporkGoddess
#238WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 11:28am

I actually thought it worked really well conceptually and thematically. The whole number is about being abused by the police, and the theme of violence, and youth vs. older authority is also present in the story. And of course the show already deals with race with regards to the Puerto Rican community, so expanding that to Black people in the US isn’t much of a stretch. 

My issues with it weren’t conceptual - just that the footage in the back made it feel kind of heavy-handed. Also the jauntiness of the song was kind of at odds with the more serious angle. But that was partly deliberate I think.  

Is "Officer Krupke" really about being abused by the police? That's never how I interpreted it. I always thought it was more about the failure of our society to address the structural issues that actually cause violence. I don't know as much about WSS as some of the people on this board, so please correct me if I'm completely off.

Glad to hear that you think it works thematically. I agree that the footage sounds very heavy-handed regardless of thematic appropriateness. 

Edit: Rephrased because I didn't like my original word choice

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 12/12/19 at 11:28 AM

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#239WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 11:33am

Starting to get the impression,people using this phrase have no idea what a boomer...”

Cool here’s my point. The moment a “good liberal” person starts saying “I don’t need any of these Black Lives Matters nonsense told to me, because that’s just preaching to the choir.”

That THAT is full boomer mentality. They admit they haven’t seen the show. All they know the one number is making a statement about police violence against POC, and somehow that is just liberals preaching to the choir?

Wake up. Broadway is not the liberal progressive haven that people in this thread are making it seem like. Production design and directorial choices of this revival aside this production is mired with controversy due to the casting of Amar in the post Harvey Weinstein era, and the noise around that is only growing.

Let’s also take a look at bringing in Sergio as a production consultant to possibly bring back some of the original choreography.
The production hired Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker who is a modern dance choreographer, and they cast the show with dancers of that sensibility. It’s been almost 65 years since the original production, and I for one am all about shaking things up when it comes to choreography of these classic shows, because they were all so intrenched the classical ballet form, that musical theater will stagnate. This cast has 30 something Broadway debuts and is an amazing display of diversity and representation. Her choreography when it’s not being upstaged by insane projections is sexy, fun, and COOL. Remember the title that song that’s actually in the musical? Also a song that has been placed where it is this revival at the behest of Stephen Sondheim, who has been at attendance both rehearsals and performances so far. And if over the course of the next few months all of that choreography is restored then what is the point of trying to make modern statement?

Does this production has to problems? Absolutely. The screens are over bearing during some of the larger group number, the tracking shots of what is clearly Greenpoint and Williamsburg are bizarre, and the costume design is a little bit to Bat Out of Hell for my taste.

But the discussion of actually trying to bring relevant themes to Broadway stage, and that the argument that because theater people are “liberal” we don’t need to be doing that give me break.

So when I say “Ok Boomer” to someone on this message board, I don’t actually care how old they are. If they are going to get on here and pretend like everything is just a big old progressive love fest on Broadway... well they might be able to kid themselves, but they ain’t kiddin’ me.

YvanEhtNioj
#240WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 11:39am

^Co-sign. Very, very well spoken. 

Impossible2
#241WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:00pm

People here are acting like police brutality against minorities is something new...

temms Profile Photo
temms
#242WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 12:14pm

Are “Cool” and “Gee Officer Krupke” in their stage or film placements?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#243WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 1:20pm

Lavieboheme3090 said: "Starting to get the impression,people using this phrase have no idea what a boomer...”

Cool here’s my point. The moment a “good liberal” person starts saying “I don’t need any of these Black Lives Matters nonsense told to me, because that’s just preaching to the choir.”

That THAT is full boomer mentality. They admit they haven’t seen the show. All they know the one number is making a statement about police violence against POC, and somehow that is just liberals preaching to the choir?

Wake up. Broadway is not the liberal progressive haven that people in this thread are making it seem like. Production design and directorial choices of this revival aside this production is mired with controversy due to the casting of Amar in the post Harvey Weinstein era, and the noise around that is only growing.

Let’s also take a look at bringing in Sergio as a production consultant to possibly bring back some of the original choreography.
The production hired Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker who is a modern dance choreographer, and they cast the show with dancers of that sensibility. It’s been almost 65 years since the original production, and I for one am all about shaking things up when it comes to choreography of these classic shows, because they were all so intrenched the classical ballet form, that musical theater will stagnate. This cast has 30 something Broadway debuts and is an amazing display of diversity and representation. Her choreography when it’s not being upstaged by insane projections is sexy, fun, and COOL. Remember the title that song that’s actually in the musical? Also a song that has been placed where it is this revival at the behest of Stephen Sondheim, who has been at attendance both rehearsals and performances so far. And if over the course of the next few months all of that choreography is restored then what is the point of trying to make modern statement?

Does this production has to problems? Absolutely. The screens are over bearing during some of the larger group number, the tracking shots of what is clearly Greenpoint and Williamsburg are bizarre, and the costume design is a little bit to Bat Out of Hell for my taste.

But the discussion of actually trying to bring relevant themes to Broadway stage, and that the argument that because theater people are “liberal” we don’t need to be doing that give me break.

So when I say “Ok Boomer” to someone on this message board, I don’t actually care how old they are. If they are going to get on here and pretend like everything is just a big old progressive love fest on Broadway... well they might be able to kid themselves, but they ain’t kiddin’ me.
"

LOL, you don't care that what you're saying is wrong. Amusing. Ok, boomer...

Updated On: 12/12/19 at 01:20 PM

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#244WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 1:47pm

Ok, well if that your best response all I can say is thank you for proving my point, and have a blessed rest of your Thursday.

SweetLips22 Profile Photo
SweetLips22
#245WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 2:39pm

Love to continue reading re this threads topic---all the above need to be Off-Topic.

I would LOVE to see an almost black and white with the odd splash of colour WSS, Projetions, footage, raw violent dancing and sensual, sexual attraction, hopeless love then death---maybe this is what I have been waiting for.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#246WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 2:46pm

Impossible2 said: "joevitus said: "Impossible2 said: "How is being a decent person considered a part of the 'Liberal Agenda'?"

"

Sorry, but that bollocks x
"

Sorry, but it isn't. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#247WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 2:51pm

poisonivy2 said: "joevitus said: "Impossible2 said: "How is being a decent person considered a part of the 'Liberal Agenda'?"

"

Did you ever read Ayn Rand? Or among critics, Arlene Croce or Terry Teachout? So saying that people in the arts don't have an obvious conservative agenda is nonsense.
"

*Sigh* Yes, but have you ever heard of the exception that proves the rule. By and large artists are liberals. I'd think you'd be in agreement with me that this is a good thing.

My point, just to be clear, is that one can have a liberal agenda as one can have a conservative agenda. More often, if a work of art has a political agenda, it is a liberal one, whereas in other facets of life, there's more parity between the two. This is not a knock on liberals or a liberal agenda. I'm a liberal. Proud to be. But saying "liberal agenda" isn't to parrot some made up propaganda term from the right, even if they try to use it as a political bogeyman. WSS has a liberal agenda. So? It's a beautiful one: to increase tolerance and decrease bigotry. Nothing wrong with that. But that is a liberal/progressive viewpoint, not a conservative/traditional one.

Updated On: 12/12/19 at 02:51 PM

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#248WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 4:08pm

temms said: "Are “Cool” and “Gee Officer Krupke” in their stage or film placements?"

Stage placements, though I really think they should consider flipping them to the film placements.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#249WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/12/19 at 4:56pm

Ledaero said: "temms said: "Are “Cool” and “Gee Officer Krupke” in their stage or film placements?"

Stage placements, though I really think they should consider flipping them to the film placements.
"

Out of curiosity, is this just for this production, or do you think the film placements are just more logical in any production? I always thought Laurents' argument was valid that if you have "Krupke" early, it just plays as a joke song, whereas coming after the rumble, it provides a necessary release for the audience, as the tensions of the second act mount. But considering the goal of this specific production, I can see how it would feel too unrealistic to have kids suddenly singing a funny song essentially irrelevant to the plot as the situation in their lives is getting dire.

Videos