News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread- Page 12

WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread

JSquared2
#275WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 3:39pm

LuPita2 said: "A rape scene is disgusting and completely unnecessary. Considering Amar's casting, it makes it even more nauseating.

Disregard the complaints about missing songs; the objections about who was cast; and the absence of the original choreography.

No one has to disregard anything, including the disgusting monster who was cast. People can also miss the original choreography. Feel free to have an opinion, but don't tell other people how to feel. Thanks.
"

In other words, no one should do EXACTLY what you are doing in the above post?

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#276WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 3:56pm

^^

This.

SporkGoddess
#277WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 4:22pm

Thanks for the clarification about the original intent of the scene. Sounds like it was always intended as an attempted rape, so it isn't really the fault of this production to depict it as such.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#278WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 4:50pm

JSquared2 said: "LuPita2 said: "A rape scene is disgusting and completely unnecessary. Considering Amar's casting, it makes it even more nauseating.

Disregard the complaints about missing songs; the objections about who was cast; and the absence of the original choreography.

No one has to disregard anything, including the disgusting monster who was cast. People can also miss the original choreography. Feel free to have an opinion, but don't tell other people how to feel. Thanks.
"

In other words, no one should do EXACTLY what you are doing in the above post?

"

This is exactly how I felt when reading the message. I just try my best not to feed trolls. For the most part this thread has been about early thoughts and reviews of the production in previews. Not worth letting some thoughtless nothing upset this otherwise thought provoking thread. 

I agree with the moderators: we should all do our best to stay on topic. Especially for this thread, it’s going to be very very controversial.

Updated On: 12/13/19 at 04:50 PM

Impossible2
#279WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 5:37pm

LuPita2 said: "A rape scene is disgusting and completely unnecessary. Considering Amar's casting, it makes it even more nauseating.

"

How is sharing a picture that someone willingly posed for even remotely the same as rape?

Jesus you people...

Piparoo Profile Photo
Piparoo
#280WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 5:46pm

Another question for those who’ve seen it - is there any profanity or slurs used in this production that weren’t in the original book? If so, can you remember what they were, without running afoul of the moderators?

I’m trying to anticipate any necessary convos to have with our kids before seeing this production.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#281WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 5:50pm

Piparoo said: "Another question for those who’ve seen it - is there any profanity or slurs used in this production that weren’t in the original book? If so, can you remember what they were, without running afoul of the moderators?

I’m trying to anticipate any necessary convos to have with our kids before seeing this production.
"

Not that I can think of. From what I could tell they just kept Laurents and Sondheim’s faux-profanity. The way they did Office Krupke, I actually wondered if they would change the final line to be more direct, but they didn’t. The do the lyrics as written. 

davidvaldezmfa
#282WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 5:51pm

bisous3 said: "Quoting my friend's Facebook status:“not only was the show absolutely awful, they do not announce at any time before the performance that you many not leave to use the restroom! We stood in line outside for 35 minutes in the cold to get in…only to have our actual tickets not work, we had to then get back in line once again! No time to use the restroom. Two of us got up halfway through and went out the back between numbers only to be told once out that we were not allowed to go back in . $1000 for four tickets and we were not allowed to go back in and claim our belongings! They ruined one of my favorite shows. It was awful.""

Well, this has nothing to do with the performance, so...

Globefan
#283WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/13/19 at 9:41pm

JBroadway said: "Piparoo said: "Another question for those who’ve seen it - is there any profanity or slurs used in this production that weren’t in the original book? If so, can you remember what they were, without running afoul of the moderators?

"

Maybe they can finally change the Krup you to F you. 

Not that I can think of. From what I could tell they just kept Laurents and Sondheim’s faux-profanity. The way they did Office Krupke, I actually wondered if they would change the final line to be more direct, but they didn’t. The do the lyrics as written.

"

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#284WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 11:55am

I got a last minute ticket for last night and thought the production was overall really stunning.

It’s a production that is directed and designed to be experienced live, so it really isn’t a cast recording anyone needs. Some of the staging is so viscerally thrilling to watch, it brought tears to my eyes. The beginning all the way through the Rumble is vital, exciting theatre at its contemporary finest. The staging loses a bit of steam in the latter half, to be honest, but I think that has more to do with pacing than anything in the conception.

I found the staging and especially the choreography of the opening, Dance at the Gym, and the Rumble to be the highlights. There are some lovely staging moments with Tony and Maria. I could definitely see some places where Sergio Trujillo could bring his musical staging expertise into play, specifically with America. I really hope Anne Teresa’s choreography is largely untouched, as it’s easily my favorite thing about this production.

I agree that the projections get a little overwhelming in spots. I definitely didn’t need the music video-like segments and some of the group numbers got a little too busy when the same thing that was happening on stage was being highlighted on the screen. But when it works, it WORKS.

I’m excited to revisit in a month or so to see how it has tightened and evolved. All the pieces are there for a vital revival of this show, but it needs a little more time to cohere.

Updated On: 12/14/19 at 11:55 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#285WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 12:00pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "It’s a production that is directed and designed to be experienced live, so it really isn’t a cast recording anyone needs."

Interesting. I am personally already dying for a cast recording of this production just because I thought the vocals and orchestrations were so incredibly thrilling.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#286WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 12:40pm

I so agree with nearly every point ColortheHours048.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#287WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 2:27pm

Ok ... important question here. 

Is this an appropriate momsical? My mom likes old fashioned musicals. I didn't take her to Daniel Fish's Oklahoma! because I knew it wouldn't be for her. Is this so radically different that she couldn't handle it?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#288WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 2:29pm

poisonivy2 said: "Ok ... important question here.

Is this an appropriate momsical? My mom likes old fashioned musicals. I didn't take her to Daniel Fish's Oklahoma! because I knew it wouldn't be for her. Is this so radically different that she couldn't handle it?
"

If you didn't think she'd like the Oklahoma revival, she probably wouldn't like this. 

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#289WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 3:48pm

Dolly80 said: "Does it sound good musically? Good singing ?"

I too would like to hear more about the musical side of things (especially since the 2009 revival was sunk, for me, by insufficient attention to putting the score across with care and strength).

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#290WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 4:27pm

Peter2 said: "Dolly80 said: "Does it sound good musically? Good singing ?"

I too would like to hear more about the musical side of things (especially since the 2009 revival was sunk, for me, by insufficient attention to putting the score across with care and strength).
"

I thought that the score was played and sung beautifully in this production. The 20+ piece orchestra was on fire, and the vocals were gorgeous.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Globefan
#291WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 4:29pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Peter2 said: "Dolly80 said: "Does it sound good musically? Good singing ?"

"

I thought that the score was played and sung beautifully in this production. The 20+ piece orchestra was on fire, and the vocals were gorgeous.
"

Did they re-orchestrate anything? 

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#292WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 4:51pm

Vocally, it’s a fine production. There are a lot of sound issues to be worked out because of all the rain. At least at my performance. I didn’t walk away thinking “Wow, the vocal performances.” But I also didn’t think anyone was weak.

The orchestra is indeed on point. 25 or 26 strong and sounds perfect. There is a bit of re-arranging and tempo/stylistic alterations to Dance at the Gym to make it a bit more 2019, but it is nearly identical. Nothing else I noticed was different.

Globefan
#293WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 5:55pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "Vocally, it’s a fine production. There are a lot of sound issues to be worked out because of all the rain. At least at my performance. I didn’t walk away thinking “Wow, the vocal performances.” But I also didn’t think anyone was weak.

The orchestra is indeed on point. 25 or 26 strong and sounds perfect. There is a bit of re-arranging and tempo/stylistic alterations to Dance at the Gym to make it a bit more 2019, but it is nearly identical. Nothing else I noticed was different.
"

How was the rumble? 

Bwayfan17
#294WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 7:12pm

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

The gangs are all topless and don tribal masks. They start with two people fist fighting and then break into the standard rumble. It starts raining on stage during this part and for the rest of the show. The music kicks in when Bernardo pulls out his knife and begins fighting with Riff who doesn’t have a knife. Riff is stabbed and blood is on his stomach. Tony then punches, beats up Bernardo to death and this is then displayed on the wall screen and cuts to a shot of Bernardo and Riff going into an ambulance. Everyone is left wet and bloody at the end. 

First time post here. I saw this thread and I needed to create an account. I saw the show today so I can also answer any questions. The rumble is very intense and violent... and beautifully staged.

Globefan
#295WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 9:35pm

Bwayfan17 said: "

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
The gangs are all topless and don tribal masks. They start with two people fist fighting and then break into the standard rumble. It starts raining on stage during this part and for the rest of the show. The music kicks in when Bernardo pulls out his knife and begins fighting with Riff who doesn’t have a knife. Riff is stabbed and blood is on his stomach. Tony then punches, beats up Bernardo to death and this is then displayed on the wall screen and cuts to a shot of Bernardo and Riff going into an ambulance. Everyone is left wet and bloody at the end.

First time post here. I saw this thread and I needed to create an account. I saw the show today so I can also answer any questions. The rumble is very intense and violent... and beautifully staged."

Which lyric do they use in America at the beginning of the song? The tropic diseases one or the sink back in the ocean one? 

Bwayfan17
#296WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/14/19 at 10:09pm

I don’t remember but it was the film version with the Sharks as well.

Globefan
#297WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/15/19 at 6:10pm

I think switching Cool and Krupke will be the right move for this particular production. And maybe if they were to put I Feel Pretty back in, they'd have to follow the film too. I'm sure they'll be able to iron out all the kinks that come from the original material. 

Updated On: 12/18/19 at 06:10 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#298WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/19/19 at 11:45pm

Nothing done to this revival enriches, illuminates or entertains.

Feels like some community theatre "deconstruction" meant to mean something.

It doesn't.

Lots of talent on that stage - to no good purpose.

The video is intrusive, pointless and finally annoying.

The Tony is a fine talent but "Polack" he ain't.

The Maria has a fine voice.

The end.

BroadwayBen
#299WEST SIDE STORY (2019 Revival) Preview Thread
Posted: 12/20/19 at 7:36am

I went last night to see it in hopes of then seeing it again after it opens to see what the changes are.   Its the morning after, and I'm still not quite sure what to think.   Its bold and singular and you can't take your eyes off of it.   It's like watching a master painter or sculptor at work, and its sort of mesmerizing as they go about it.   Is it all successful?   That's the tougher part.   For as much as you're riveted, you're never really moved.   The show starts as an obvious tragedy and ends like a obvious tragedy.   Its the same tone all night.   You don't really connect with the characters because you can't stop watching the world they are in and focus on who they are.  The costuming with the video and the lighting is such that for the most part you don't know the sharks from the jets -- even after an opening that gives you massive "close ups" of each.   Once they blend, they blend.   The choreography is interesting, with "Cool" being the stand out.  It got the biggest applause of the evening -- when we were allowed to applaud, that is.   But like the rest of the show, no character is built through dance; it's all a moment-to-moment thing.  I personally found most of the extreme video odd, but again, its makes an impact and you can't take your eyes away.   I thought it was really weird to the actors to have them sing, dance, act and do effective camera work.   Some are more confident than others at being on camera, and it gets a little amateur indie backyard film at times.   There were also some times that the street montages and the city scenes completely take away from the show and you really lose the musicality of the show.  The images are so big, so powerful, you have no choice but to watch them and ignore the stage.  The Anita/Maria duet is overwhelmed by what's behind it.  The Krupke sequence is a video polemic that goes directly to today's politics.  (That was the number where the people behind me left.  From their chatter, they were related to police officers.).  I think right now its sort of WSS "a play with video and music" and not WSS the musical.   And you have to take it on those terms, and sometimes on those terms it is sort of thrilling.  I think the biggest challenge they have right now was that at the end of the show, there wasn't a tear in the house.   I think when WSS is done well, you can really feel the tragedy and that doesn't happen here.  You're heart doesn't break as the kids make one mistake after another, and that was what I missed most.  But when you read about the original WSS, the audiences were stunned and didn't know what to make of it, and that is also the case here.   There's so much new to creating a musical here, that its hard to know what you're seeing sometimes, and I suppose that's a good thing.   If in the original, Robbins used dance in a way audiences had never seen in a musical before, this team is using video in the same way, and its fascinating.  It will be interesting to see how they continue to shape it.   I will definitely go back.   And it was full. 

Videos