News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

WOLF HALL Reviews

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#1WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:32am

Post 'em here, kids!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#2WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 1:41am

One of the most thrilling days of theatre I have had since the original NYC production of Angels  In America, kudos to all involved. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

MaddieBB12 Profile Photo
MaddieBB12
#2WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:00am

Just wondering but: how do reviews/opening nights word for shows with two parts or like Twelfth Night/Richard III? 

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#3WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:03pm

They're doing both parts today. A matinee and then an early evening.

Do reviewers ever go to opening night anymore?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#4WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 12:51pm

I'm at the theater now, doing a marathon today. I didn't realize it's opening night! I'm very excited. My TDF seats are in a box. I was disappointed at first, but the view seems pretty close. 

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#5WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 1:04pm

they still do rush even for opening night?

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Andrew777
#6WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 1:41pm

I'll be seeing this next month. Should be great!

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#7WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 2:02pm

It is great (IMHO). I saw Part One last night, and will see Part Two tomorrow night. I'm certain the reviews will be excellent.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#8WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 4:31pm

Wow, Part 1 was amazing. I can't wait for Part 2! By the way, the woman sitting next to me told me she rushed this morning. 

The he box office personnel told me that yes, they are still selling rush, if available, for $39 per ticket, Part 1 or Part 3, and you can buy two tickets. 

Updated On: 4/9/15 at 04:31 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#9WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:31pm

"I'm certain the reviews will be excellent."

Not all of them are...

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#10WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 10:45pm

wow the reviews are pretty dull actually

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

rob136
#11WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:10pm

I saw Part I the evening before opening, and if it was a Saturday and Hedwig had a showing at 10pm, I'd have walked out at intermission and ran to get a ticket to something I would have enjoyed more. I found it to be a dull show that's unnecessarily long yet still somehow manages to leave out large portions of the historical narrative. I love this era of history, but this was just downright boring in my opinion.

I considered Anne Boleyn's acting to be average, although her lack of stage time in Part I made it impossible to develop her character fully. I think the majority of the fault lies in the book. It's too long and has too many characters to develop any of them fully. Even after three long hours of theatre, I'm still not quite clear on what Wolf Hall's Cromwell has for a motivation. He switches between ambition and seeming to just wish to survive repeatedly. I suspect that's more an issue with the book than an issue with the acting.

On the other hand, the actor playing King Henry VIII did an excellent job. The minimalist staging and direction were the highlight of the evening - I doubt they could have done a better job in that department.

I'm undecided on whether I'll go back for Part II, but I suspect not. There are too many good shows opening at this time of the year for me to waste half a trip to the city on seeing a play for the sake of completion.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#12WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:23pm

It's an all out rave from the times 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Wilmingtom
#13WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:41pm

"I think the majority of the fault lies in the book."

I believe that most, including myself, found Mantel's book to be extraordinary.  It is admittedly a lot to harness in a play, even in two parts, but I think the less successful stretches can be attributed to the adapter, Poulton rather than Mantel.  

Updated On: 4/10/15 at 11:41 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#14WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:43pm

"It's an all out rave from the times "

Not just that, but Brantley is pushing people to flock to this by tarting it as a low brow (but awesome) period piece.  

NY times

broadwayfan24
Jonwo
#16WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/9/15 at 11:52pm

There are enough strong reviews that they can use but the NYT review is encouraging and likely will help ticket sales

VintageSnarker
#17WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:14am

Have any of the reviews compared the play to the TV show? I mean, have any of the reviewers seen both?

Wilmingtom
#18WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:22am

Many have mentioned the TV show, emphasizing that they have nothing in common other than the source material.

rob136
#19WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/10/15 at 12:48am

Re: Wilmington

I should clarify that by "the book", I mean the script itself. I have not read the source material, but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

BROADWAY: The Cripple of Inishmaan, This is Our Youth, If/Then, Hedwig and the Angry Inch (x3), Cabaret (x2), The Real Thing, A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Chicago, Les Miserables (x2) Disgraced, Finding Neverland, On the Twentieth Century, Wolf Hall Part I, On the Town, Fun Home; TOURING: Jekyll and Hyde, The Book of Mormon; LOCAL: The Twilight Zone, Anne Boleyn, Death and the Maiden, The Lying Kind, Chorus Line, Stupid F**king Bird

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#20WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/10/15 at 9:22am

Is this the same story (abridged, I imagine) that Masterpiece Theater is currently showing on PBS (with Rylance!)?

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#21WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/10/15 at 9:55am

"Is this the same story (abridged, I imagine) that Masterpiece Theater is currently showing on PBS (with Rylance!)?"

Yep, pretty much. But the play is very different from the series.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#22WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:33am

I did the marathon yesterday and really enjoyed it. But I thought Part 1 was much stronger, more interesting, better paced. Part 2 is where most of the grim stuff happens. But more than that, I found the "trial" scenes to be tedious and my mind started wandering a few times. I found myself really missing last year's Twelfth Night.

The people sitting in the box with me had done rush for Part 2 and hadn't seen Part 1 yet. That I would not recommend. Still, I do recommend the show.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#23WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/10/15 at 10:51am

Does anyone think it could still get some Tony Nominations for...

Best Play?
Leading Actor in a Play?
Featured Actor in a Play?
Direction of a Play?
Lighting Design of a Play?
Costume Design of a Play?

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#24WOLF HALL Reviews
Posted: 4/10/15 at 11:05am

Could still get some? Yes 6x.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

Videos