Annie Preview Thread

Vermont
#225Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 9:58am

Annie was played by Taylor Richardson for both shows yesterday while Jaidyn played Duffy which is normally Taylor's role. Both shows went amazingly well especially in light that this was Taylor's first time as Annie and Jaidyns first time on stage.

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#226Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 10:43am

I'm reading all these posts, and thinking WTF? ANNIE never was and never will be anything more than a mediocre and predictable audience-pleaser, with a pleasant, hummable score and heaps of obvious sentiment. The only reason I would see it again would be Katie Finneran, one of the great comic actors of our time, but it's a tough role and not surprised that she might be having trouble getting laughs from the two-dimensional writing.

But family audiences cannot be denied, and $150 per ticket prices will not slow down this machine. Pity that a great director like Lapine felt that a paycheck was more important than finding a worthwhile project.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#227Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 11:41am

While I thought Katie Finneran was a bit less compelling than I expect out of any Miss Hannigan, I don't really understand the vehemence from those who hated her performance.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

NYsky
#228Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 6:46pm

You are thinking WTF? Take a guess at what everyone reading your post is thinking. The play is mediocre, yet you'd go see it again? (love when you fools criticize before ever buying a ticket, and I'm betting you have Yet to buy a ticket. You simply lie about seeing it as you feel it gives you some authority to critique it). Lapine is a sell out, you say, but Finneran is "one of the great comic actors of our time." Is she a sell out too for taking on this role? Is she just out for a pay check? Next time save your breath and our time. Good luck scraping together the $150 to buy a ticket. Maybe you should ask your parents for it.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#229Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 6:54pm

And who the hell are you?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

NYsky
#230Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/14/12 at 7:03pm

You are thinking WTF? Take a guess at what everyone reading your post is thinking. The play is mediocre, yet you'd go see it again? (love when you fools criticize before ever buying a ticket, and I'm betting you have Yet to buy a ticket. You simply lie about seeing it as you feel it gives you some authority to critique it). Lapine is a sell out, you say, but Finneran is "one of the great comic actors of our time." Is she a sell out too for taking on this role? Is she just out for a pay check? Next time save your breath and our time because clearly you have not a clue of what youre talking about. Good luck scraping together the $150 to buy a ticket. Maybe you should ask your parents for it.

mb87
#231Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 1:17am

when can we expect photos in costumes? I think i've only seen one with Katie, Lilla and Anthony.

bk
#232Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 3:41am

"I'm reading all these posts, and thinking WTF? ANNIE never was and never will be anything more than a mediocre and predictable audience-pleaser, with a pleasant, hummable score and heaps of obvious sentiment. The only reason I would see it again would be Katie Finneran, one of the great comic actors of our time, but it's a tough role and not surprised that she might be having trouble getting laughs from the two-dimensional writing. "

It's funny but Dorothy Loudon and any number of other Miss Hannigan's had no trouble whatsoever getting not only laughs but HUGE laughs from the "two-dimenstional writing." As to Miss Finneran, whatever one may think of her, to call her one of the great comic actors of our time" is silly - what has she done to earn that? Not much.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#233Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 7:16am

Katie Finneran, one of the greatest comic actors of our time?!!?!

Now THAT'S hilarious!!!

alterego Profile Photo
alterego
#234Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 8:19am

I applaud you BK !

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#235Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 10:58am

I'm so glad that Hoover is in this version. It always makes me sad when they cu it.

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#236Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 4:24pm

I wish I could take all the ANNIE haters back in time to experience the original production when it first opened. It truly was sublime in every way.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#237Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 4:25pm

What's the running time of this?

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#238Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 4:45pm

Two and a half, including intermission.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

egghumor Profile Photo
egghumor
#239Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 4:46pm

morosco, I COMPLETELY agree! I was quite surprised by how much I loved the original production of ANNIE. Having seen it several times, I remember it as one of the most elegant, tasteful, and artistically perfect productions I've ever seen (and I've seen hundreds of Broadway and OB shows).

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#240Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 4:53pm

Morosco, I totally agree with you. The original ANNIE shouldn't have been anything special-- hackneyed characters, stale plot. Martin Charnin's last show was Two by Two for god's sake...

But the show was a miracle, so honest and heartfelt and genuinely funny. Kids weren't cloying, stereotypes were turned on their head, tears were earned. The kids danced, the adults danced, the scenery REALLY danced. Every time you yearned for liftoff, the score and the staging gave you liftoff. The show grabbed your heart in Act I Scene 1 and just held on the whole blessed night.

Hope to see if Lapine's revival can repeat Mike Nichols' miracle from 1977.

greenguy211
#241Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 6:16pm

Has Katie Finneran been improving?

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#242Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 9:17pm

Annie really is a beautiful show.
The score is a gem. I'm sorry but "Maybe" "Tomorrow" "Something Was Missing" and "Easy Street" are exceptional songs. And then the fact that the book is clever and written very well adds to it. As others have said, the characters are engaging and the plot moves people. I think it has gotten a terrible rap merely because of countless productions that are reduced to nothing more then a little brat standing center stage, in a poorly fitted red curly wig, screeching out "Tomorrow".
Plus, IMO the 1982 movie didn't help (I can't be the only one who hated that crap fest? The 1999 version is superior in most aspects.)

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

adam.peterson44 Profile Photo
adam.peterson44
#243Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/15/12 at 9:46pm

Do the young (child) actors in Annie have an alternate schedule and share the part with other children, and if not, why is that not needed in Annie but is needed in other shows to stay on the right side of labor laws? If there is an alternate schedule for Lilla, does anyone know what it is?

Also, would a wed. matinee be likely to be better or worse than a weeknight (e.g. wed. night) in terms of noise level in the audience, in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for any input!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#244Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/16/12 at 1:16am

"Plus, IMO the 1982 movie didn't help (I can't be the only one who hated that crap fest? The 1999 version is superior in most aspects.)"

I admit, I loved the movie as a (very small) child, but you're far from alone. It's often listed as one of the worst, most overblown stage to screen adapatations *ever*.

Jordan Catalano
#245Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/16/12 at 1:31am

I saw the show tonight. I'd never seen it on stage and even given everything I've read, I was still excited. I thought the production was "ok". I didn't hate it at all but it's not something that I watch and think "My God, this must have been groundbreaking back in the day!" And judging from the 25 other people in the balcony, they weren't blown away, either.
Yes, there's great music in there which I do feel is choreographed very poorly and I thought Katie was fine as Hannigan. She made me smile and laugh and she was how I thought she would be.

In the end, I'm glad I saw it. I happen to love the movie (since I grew up with it) and it was nice to see a live production. So I guess I would sum it up with that word...nice.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#246Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/16/12 at 7:25am

Jordan, do you think where you were sitting might have had an affect on your enjoyment of the show, especially since it was your first time seeing a live production of it? If I like a particular show, I tend to see it several times. I loved the original production of Ragtime, but one time I sat up in the 2nd tier and felt so far removed from the proceedings on stage, that I definitely didn't enjoy it as much.

I'm hoping to see the revival of Annie in November when I'm in town. Like Morosco said, the original production was truly magical, so much so, there are parts of it that I still remember vividly (e.g., the way the set moved).

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

broadwayguy2
#247Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/16/12 at 11:46am

I can easily see how certain aspects of the design - for one, the various locations within Warbucks' mansion, would not read as well / properly from as high up as the balcony is.

I saw the show from the orchestra and I was very taken with it.

I understand the issues people have taken with the set and how moments here and there could more elaborate, but I will make a few counter points - 1.) The show will only require minimal alteration to tour, so road audiences can expect to see the whole shebang. 2.) The Palace's stage house is jammed incredibly tight in the wings with scenery with barely an inch to spare. The only way they could add more would have been to use extensive trap doors. 3.) Korins' inspiration for the set was a vintage cut-paper pop up holiday card that Lapine showed him. It succeeded wonderfully in that vein.

Now, my thoughts on the show.

Across the board, the cast is fantastic. O'Malley is spot on as Gracy, Thorell is a delight as Rooster without crossing into archetype sleaze. Marcos is a hysterically unconventional Lily. Warlow is a winning Warbucks and takes the character on a real journey of growth and opening up. Finneran is a RIOT as Hannigan. Her line readings are unexpected at times and she threw in a few extra zingers. A believable drunk who disliked the children, without ever falling into cartoon villian as some have. Great. The show rests on the shoulders of Lilla Crawford and she carries in every step of the way. A big Broadway belt, genuine charm. She isn't a grating child actor and she handled a number of mishaps during the performance like a well seasoned pro.

The orchestra is 17 strong, plus conductor, and it sounds big and beautiful and it has the hallmark stamp of everything else in the production - the familiar things about Annie that we love are there in spades, but with a lot of fresh, new discoveries and reinventions.

Blankenbuehler's choreography will be a VERY welcome surprise to those of us who have long thought him to be a one-trick, pop and lock pony.

I enjoyed about 70% of the design. The morphing orphanage was great, the change to Annie's hair was very welcome and one of the best, simple elements was the transforming chandelier in Warbucks' mansion (which, I was told, has evolved during previews to make the transformation more fitting).

Did I have reservations here and there? Yes. I also have an OCD brain that notices detail and I find things in EVERY show to say that about.

All in all, a winning production of an old warhorse that will give you the comfort of the familiar and the excitement of the fresh and unexpected, coming to life through a talented ensemble of actors, designers and crew with a spotlight firmly on a strong, pint-sized star.

mariodelagarza Profile Photo
mariodelagarza
#248Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/16/12 at 11:48am

I saw the show last week, on monday, and I liked it. Katie and Lilla are really good. I think it's a fun, simple, crowd-pleaser, family show.

My friend thought that Lilla sounded like a child Bernadette Peters haha. The theater was full by the way.

Annie Preview Thread

Annie Preview Thread

Jordan Catalano
#249Annie Preview Thread
Posted: 10/16/12 at 11:55am

Sitting in the front row of the balcony in no way had any impact on my enjoyment of the show or my ability to "see" the full set.

And Blankenbuehler's choreography is just so lacking it's not even funny to joke about. And hearing this morning from friends that BIG things might be changing with this show since they know it's not working, either.

Videos