INTO THE WOODS Reviews

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#225INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 2:10pm

TaffyDavenport said: ""Has anyone sat in the front left orchestra? They have Row B seats for $79 listed as partial view next to $299 full view seats so I was wondering how partial they mean by partial view? I generally don't mind a partial view seat but I don't want a completely obstructed view if I can avoid it."

Those seats are blocked by the Narrator's podium. This is the view from B 13, which might not be the best for a first for a first viewing, but definitely good for a return visit. The review on A View from My Seat gave it 4 out of 5 stars, but I haven't seen anything about the other 2 seats:

INTO THE WOODS Reviews
"

Thanks for the info Taffy! I just bought that seat. It's my second time seeing the show (after seeing it full view, but very high up in the balcony at City Center), so I think it'll be worth the obstructed view to be so close!

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#226INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 2:17pm

Georgeanddot2 said: "Since Bernadette can still sing the role and is still youthful and beautiful, I'd love to see her make a return as The Witch. Imagine what an event that would be."

I doubt it would happen but that would absolutely be enough for me to spring for tickets and another trip to NY for a return visit to Into the Woods

BwayinVan
#227INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 4:55pm

jbp1232 said: "Has anyone sat in the front left orchestra? They have Row B seats for $79 listed as partial view next to $299 full view seats so I was wondering how partial they mean by partial view? I generally don't mind a partial view seat but I don't want a completely obstructed view if I can avoid it."

I just bought seat 9 in row B as it’s the closest seat to the middle for those cheap seats. I figure that it can’t be that terrible if it’s right next door to a $300 ticket

PipingHotPiccolo
#228INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:07pm

Georgeanddot2 said: "Since Bernadette can still sing the role and is still youthful and beautiful, I'd love to see her make a return as The Witch. Imagine what an event that would be."

you've got to be kidding me.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#229INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:14pm

My Into the Woods Story

I went last night to see Into the Woods and had a great seat, F 111. About ten minutes before curtain, the two people who were to sit in front of me arrived. They were human skyscrapers. Major portions of the stage were not visible to me. I was very upset and asked the usher if there was anywhere else I could sit or stand. She told me everything was sold out including standing room. Because of this, I did not connect with the show at all.

I returned to the Midtown Hilton where I am staying and ordered another ticket for this afternoon and another great seat, D 105. I got to the theatre and another skyscraper arrived and sat in front of me. I turned to the woman to my left and said, " I have an unusual request. I came to see this show last night and there may have been "Giants in the Sky," but there were also giants sitting in front me. It's happened again. Would you change seats with me? If you say no, I don't blame you."

"Of course you can sit here."

"Ma'am, I don't know your name, but I love you. I flew 1,300 miles to see this."

"Sit! Sit! Enjoy!"

I thanked her profusely and had a perfect view of a perfect show.

When intermission came, I offered to buy her a drink or anything else she wanted. She declined and said she had seen the show before and had to go. She told me to continue enjoying the show and left.

That lady made my trip to New York about more than Broadway. She made it about human kindness. 

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#230INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:24pm

That is such a wonderful story. You are so lucky someone was willing to switch seats with you. Don't see many of those people anymore. This reminds me of when I saw Hello Dolly with Bette Midler. I remember an elderly woman sitting next to me who had to have been less than 5 feet tall. Two very tall people sat in front of her and her view was completely obstructed. I offered to switch seats, but she declined. Instead, I ran to an usher and had them give me a booster cushion to help her see. Thankfully, it worked and she was able to see better and enjoy the show. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#231INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 6:28pm

I love that. Also, don't hesitate to contact the House Managers. Usually they can work with you on figuring out a better solution! But glad it got resolved!

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#232INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 7:35pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Georgeanddot2 said: "Since Bernadette can still sing the role and is still youthful and beautiful, I'd love to see her make a return as The Witch. Imagine what an event that would be."

"

Why would I be kidding?  Meryl and her are like the same age and Meryl played the role onscreen.  I think Bernadette is still appropriate for the role.  She's sexy and regal and youthful and can still sing it.

JasonC3
#233INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 7:41pm

I will always move mountains to see Bernadette in anything, but I've seen little evidence the past few years that she could still sing this role at the level she would want to or that audiences would expect.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#234INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 7:56pm

After seeing both Phillipa Soo and her understudy  as well as both Sara Bareillis and her understudy this week what I found was the understudies are generally trying - as they are supposed to - to give emotionally similar characterizations.  They are following the lead of the director as well as the star performers when it comes to acting choices, and not doing anything markedly different. 

The difference is in the tone of their vocals.  I am not saying in "quality" of vocals, as both understudies are exceptional vocalists.  But,  I found that both Soo & Bareillis have a slightly sweeter tone to their voices.

Obviously,  for die hard fans of either it would be disappointing if they were out for the performance you are attending. But if you just generally want to see this production, don't be put off by seeing these understudies. 

Updated On: 7/27/22 at 07:56 PM

PipingHotPiccolo
#235INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 9:10pm

Georgeanddot2 said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Georgeanddot2 said: "Since Bernadette can still sing the role and is still youthful and beautiful, I'd love to see her make a return as The Witch. Imagine what an event that would be."

"

Why would I be kidding? Meryl and her are like the same age and Meryl played the role onscreen. I think Bernadette is still appropriate for the role. She's sexy and regal and youthful and can still sing it.
"

To each their own, and if you enjoy Bernadette by all means, enjoy away but I dont think I'm saying anything shocking when I say she absolutely cannot sing this role the way it should (or could, by many others) sung. She croaked her way through Dolly; this calls for lots more.

Dylan Smith4
#236INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 9:52pm

I can't watch this without tearing up! Patina is such a gift to our community! I really hope they do a pro-shot!

https://twitter.com/ITWBroadway/status/1552390757755109377?s=20&t=ydSQQ4ULbJRiEkJiQ9iCeA

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#237INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 10:35pm

I apologize if this has already been discussed but I was surprised to see the Witch get the last bow in this version. I've always felt the Baker & Baker's Wife should have the last bow just based on the characters but assumed the Witch was last in the original because it was Bernadette. Here, I thought especially with Sara in the role, they'd perhaps have Sara & Brian go last but instead Patina did. Just my two cents but if I was directing this at a local theater, I think I'd have those two characters go last based on the fact that it's really their story and they are the biggest roles.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#238INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 10:37pm

Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but if I'm paying $300 plus, I expect everyone to be there. Unrealistic possibly I guess. 

Dylan Smith4
#239INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 10:57pm

I did that once like 4 years ago. I was expected to see Sara in Waitress for the prices I paid but she got sick and was out. I exchanged my tickets and saw her 2 weeks later. I realize now that I should've been more appreciative to the understudies back then. Nowadays, I don't care who is on. Would I be disappointed that someone I really wanted to see is out? Definitely, but the show must go on. Understudies, Standbys, and Swings are the unsung heroes of this industry as COVID still rages on. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#240INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 11:02pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "I did that once like 4 years ago. I was expected to see Sara in Waitress for the prices I paid but she got sick and was out. I exchanged my tickets and saw her 2 weeks later. I realize now that I should've been more appreciative to the understudies back then. Nowadays, I don't care who is on. Would I be disappointed that someone I really wanted to see is out? Definitely, but the show must go on. Understudies, Standbys, and Swings are the unsung heroes of this industry as COVID still rages on."

Very rarely do I see Broadway shows post-shutdown, which is why I sometimes long to catch several understudies, standbys, swings, and replacements for fresh interpretations (depends on what show I see, of course). 

I can hear the originators on cast albums anyway. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 7/27/22 at 11:02 PM

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#241INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 11:18pm

Sutton Ross said: "Maybe I'm the only one who feels this way but if I'm paying $300 plus, I expect everyone to be there. Unrealistic possibly I guess."

Shows have high demands. Especially musicals. The vocals, the physicality, and the 8 show schedule are taxing. If someone is out it is probably for a very good reason. It’s a live event. You know going in that there is a chance you won’t see the entire cast. If it’s a big enough name and over the title etc. then exchange otherwise enjoy the understudies…they are equally talented. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#242INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 11:32pm

They are, quite literally, not equally talented. Read the reviews on Sara's replacement these past few days, not real positive. 

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#243INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 11:36pm

Sutton Ross said: "They are, quite literally, not equally talented. Read the reviews on Sara's replacement these past few days, not real positive."

It's interesting to hear this perspective from you when you're the first one to throw Beanie under the bus for Julie. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#244INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/27/22 at 11:39pm

Sutton Ross said: "They are, quite literally, not equally talented. Read the reviews on Sara's replacement these past few days, not real positive."

Fine. Then if you are there for Sara or any other big name, as I said earlier, then exchange. Actors are human and not immune to sickness, injury, family matters, etc etc etc. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#245INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 4:23am

Bernadette could sing the role again in the context of a reunion concert with adoring fans whose expectations are probably managed appropriately (and if she wanted to make it happen I think it would happen) but I just couldn’t see it working in this production. I don’t see how it would make any sense for her or her career - she doesn’t need the money (unlike say Alice Ripley in Barcelona right now who probably is appreciating the work as well as the experience), she risks being criticised instead of praised (and Bernadette has always practically got NYT raves for all her gigs in the last 20 years), it will be physically demanding for her to be on stage at her age, she isn’t trying anything new, she may have to cancel her concerts. Plus the production would need to foot an unnecessary hefty bill, change the tone and focus of the production etc. I just can’t see it happening personally. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/28/22 at 04:23 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#246INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 7:29am

I wasn't trying to say that they are equally talented,  but to answer the question posed further back in this thread: do the understudies give a different interpretation of the characters? Answer: No, they do not give a markedly different interpretation. 

They are both exceptional vocalists. They didn't hire anyone who can't sing the score. But no, they are not equally talented with the stars.

There is just something extra about the voices of both stars.

Midnight Radio
#247INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 7:45am

While we are on casting that would never happen, I would kill to see Patti LuPone finally take on the witch.

It's a semi-concert staging. Bernadette and Patti could still pull it off.

JasonC3
#248INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 8:58am

Nope.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#249INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 7/28/22 at 9:05am

Midnight Radio said: "While we are on casting that would never happen, I would kill to see Patti LuPone finally take on the witch.

It's a semi-concert staging. Bernadette and Patti could still pull it off.
"

No

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Videos