News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 10

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#225SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 7:32am

I'm bummed first preview is a matinee and I can't make it. But I'll be there that first week, then.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#226SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 7:43am

Going in March, and I can't wait! Really hoping for a solid production.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

hearthemsing22
#227SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 8:22am

I keep seeing people like, begging for someone to give them a first preview ticket. Just because you work in the industry doesn't mean you're more special. People got the tickets before you. That's it. You can make do with seeing something other than the first preview. It's like those influencers who expect free stuff. 

yyys
#228SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 9:28am

can anyone alert me when tickets are released for the first preview? All I see are resales ($375 for nosebleeds).

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#229SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 9:45am

yyys said: "can anyone alert me when tickets are released for the first preview? All I see are resales ($375 for nosebleeds). "

Tickets were  released in September and sold out fast which is why you see so many resales. Keep checking Ticketmaster though, someone may resell their ticket for what it’s worth ! 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#230SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 9:47am

They released some front orchestra seats on Friday, and they were gone very quickly.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#231SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 9:54am

I just check when I am going next month and there were only a couple of resale tickets left. They go for as little as $345 up to $1400 each. That is just outrageous! Thank god I got tickets when I did!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#232SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 10:07am

I'll be there March 11! Going with a big group and going all out with fancy dress and everything. :)

Dylan Smith4
#233SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 10:34am

BarnabyTucker said: "I'll be there March 11! Going with a big group and going all out with fancy dress and everything. :)"

I'm going on March 11 too! Are you going to the Matinee or the Evening?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

inception Profile Photo
inception
#234SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 11:13am

Dylan Smith4 said: "I just check when I am going next month and there were only a couple of resale tickets left. They go for as little as $345 up to $1400 each. That is just outrageous! Thank god I got tickets when I did!"

Wow, checked the night I'm going & just a dozen random resale tickets are available. Is this already the biggest hit of the season, before it even opens?

It helps when there are none of the questions you have when considering buying tickets to something new, such as is the story, or are the songs, going to be any good? It's just a question of will they do justice to a show we already know is good?

yyys
#235SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 11:25am

if Josh Groban is out on a particular day, can people request refunds? Hope this is the case so I can see his alternate instead.

hearthemsing22
#236SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 11:40am

yyys said: "if Josh Groban is out on a particular day, can people request refunds? Hope this is the case so I can see his alternate instead."

Is his name above the title? That's usually when a name is above the title audiences could request a refund or date exchange. If he's out when I'm going I'd definitely be happy to see an understudy or standby (I'm aware not everyone will feel the same)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#237SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 12:17pm

Still annoyed that they're only doing 7 shows a week. Was hoping after their opening, they would have add an eighth performance with the alternates going on.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#238SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 12:22pm

When did Hello, Dolly announce they were going to add an 8th performance with Donny Murphy going on? Was it not until after opening?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#239SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 12:27pm

Call_me_jorge said: "When did Hello, Dolly announce they were going to add an 8th performance with Donny Murphy going on? Was it not until after opening?"

Donna Murphy's schedule was announced prior to the show starting previews. That included her covering Bette's vacation weeks.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#240SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 12:39pm

ACL2006 said: "Call_me_jorge said: "When did Hello, Dolly announce they were going to add an 8th performance with Donny Murphy going on? Was it not until after opening?"

Donna Murphy's schedule was announced prior to the show starting previews. That included her covering Bette's vacation weeks.
"

Oh, okay. I’m sure if this production wanted to add an 8th performance in the week they still can, but it’s definitely not going to happen right away. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#241SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 12:46pm

Does anyone know if this still expected to be a physically large production? I would have assumed so, but I also remember expecting the recent 'music man' to be lavish and being quite disappointed...

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#242SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 12:55pm

This is the best preview we've gotten of the scenic design:

SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#243SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 1:43pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "BarnabyTucker said: "I'll be there March 11! Going with a big group and going all out with fancy dress and everything. :)"

"

Evening!

Dylan Smith4
#244SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 1:47pm

BarnabyTucker said: "Dylan Smith4 said: "BarnabyTucker said: "I'll be there March 11! Going with a big group and going all out with fancy dress and everything. :)"

"

Evening!
"

It's ok! Have fun!!!!

yyys
#245SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 3:48pm

Just saw a pair of $399 premium seating, orch right, row L - that's out of my price range LOL

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#246SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 8:53pm

I feel like the circular scenic design is a choice and kind of makes it all feel small rather than the grand design of the original. But I’m excited to hear reports! 

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#247SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 10:00pm

RippedMan said: "I feel like the circular scenic design is a choice and kind of makes it all feel small rather than the grand design of the original. But I’m excited to hear reports!"

Just to play devil's advocate, it certainly is a choice -- but a few things to keep in mind. The London of that time was extremely claustrophobic, tight, teeming masses cramped in small spaces. But all of that aside, we're going off of a few screenshots of social media videos where the renderings aren't even in the slightest of focus. Other than "there's an arch", we truly can't discern much beyond that -- and I do see what appears (and just that, appears) to be elements in at least one of the renderings taking place *in front* of that archway. Just feels ...premature at best to be judging the scenic design yet.

bear88
#248SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/20/23 at 10:05pm

And for anyone with side orchestra seats (mine are closer to the edge than the right center), I am curious to see how the staging choices affect sight lines.

persephone88
#249SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/21/23 at 9:25am

We are going Sunday and are sitting OrchR on the aisle. Will report back on sightlines...

Videos