pixeltracker

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread- Page 103

Chicago the Musical Appreciation Thread

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#2550Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/1/22 at 10:03pm

I'm inclined to think that Lana Gordon will be Emma Pittman's Velma.  After all, it seems that Lana will mentor Emma during the rehearsal process.  It wouldn't make sense to make a Velma change.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#2551Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/1/22 at 10:05pm

Patti LuPone FANatic said: "I'm inclined to think that Lana Gordon will be Emma Pittman's Velma. After all, it seems that Lana will mentor Emma during the rehearsal process. It wouldn't make sense to make a Velma change."

She recently made a TikTok saying she had a rehearsal with Holliday, so I think that’s safe to assume.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2552Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/6/22 at 8:46pm

Anyone seeing Emma tonight?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#2553Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/22 at 7:14pm

Emma Pittman’s first “Roxie,” in its entirety:

https://twitter.com/playbill/status/1534252620671492097

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#2554Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/22 at 7:23pm

Oof.

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#2555Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/22 at 7:49pm

She seems fine, but there is no dazzle. Looks like a high schooler trying hard 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#2556Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/22 at 7:54pm

Ouch. That was rough.  You can see the affected acting.  She’s saying the dialogue and not feeling one word she’s saying.  Pamela Anderson made the dialogue organic and felt like a real conversation between her and the audience.  Not once didn’t you believe a word she was saying.  It truly was a Master Class on how the “Roxie” monologue needs to be done.  Emma is performing, not acting.  Poor girl.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2557Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/22 at 8:01pm

WldKingdomHM said: "She seems fine, but there is no dazzle. Looks like a high schooler trying hard"

Yeah, it was fine. Nothing special. Loved her energy. She's young, inexperienced & making her Broadway debut. Probably why she's only doing two weeks. Let's see if she's brought back or does the tour soon.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Nolan LuPone
#2558Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/22 at 8:12pm

She seems okay to me. I think it's just the nerves of a Broadway debut. Someone on the board stated earlier that the producers might be searching for a new "in-between" Roxie for between stunt-casting, and I completely agree. I don't think D'Amboise is comfortable in the role anymore and it also seems like Marroquin might move to the "in-between" Velma, as she is a veteran and AFW seems to be done with the show (and a little stale in the role). It looks like Emma could be returning to the Ambassador in a little while.

Updated On: 6/8/22 at 08:12 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#2559Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/22 at 9:27pm

I enjoyed it. If it was her first time, she was probably nervous and she may have just needed this first performance to get those butterflies out. I loved here comedic timing. I don't follow the show as closely as a lot of people here do, but I would see her in the role. JMO

Just give the world Love.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2560Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/7/22 at 11:24pm

The key isn't doing her any favors –– it's too low in her voice. She is also visibly very jittery/nervous in that video.

But Roxie is also one of those roles (like Cassie in A Chorus Line) where the actress has to have LIVED a life. It's evident that she, a 20something person coming out of a BFA program, does not bring that kind of lived experience to the part, even if she may be giving a technically proficient performance. (And for that reason I'm not sure why they cast her in the first place when there were hundreds of contestants.)

Updated On: 6/7/22 at 11:24 PM

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2561Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/9/22 at 9:05pm

https://www.telecharge.com/Broadway/Chicago/Overview   

Emma Pittman  (thru June 19)

Lana Gordon (thru September 11)

Ryan Silverman (thru July 31)

Jennifer Holiday (thru September 11)

Evan Harrington (thru September 11)

R. Lowe (thru September 11)

I wonder who'll replace Emma Pittman and Lana Gordon?   There are plenty of Roxie's to choose from, but very few available Velmas.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

BrodyFosse123
#2562Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/9/22 at 9:14pm

If they don’t stunt/star cast Roxie at the same level they did with Pamela Anderson, they’re going to use up all the profits they made during Pamela’s run.  The show will go back to 50% capacity whereas with Pamela they were doing 100% by showtime her entire run.  

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2563Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/9/22 at 10:55pm

I thought Emma was pretty good, actually. She has a comfort and a familiarity with the role, and sang and danced it quite fine. I think the one thing that video continues to show, is that the younger they go in casting the role, the less of a fit it is with the character. Similar to what Ermengarde says, it's a lived in role. It's not meant to be played by an ingenue. Emma is typical of what happens when they go young, the Roxie monologue is chirpy and light, when for example Pamela, she was able to channel a whole lot into that moment.

As for Emma, she'll be a fine in-between and tour Roxie.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#2564Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 9:22am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The key isn't doing her any favors –– it's too low in her voice. She is also visibly very jittery/nervous in that video.

But Roxie is also one of those roles (like Cassie inA Chorus Line) where the actress has to haveLIVEDa life. It's evident that she, a 20something person coming out of a BFA program, does not bring that kind of lived experience to the part, even if she may be giving a technically proficient performance. (And for that reason I'm not sure why they cast her in the first place when there were hundreds of contestants.)
"

I think it’s this exactly. She’s very charming but simply too young, playing at a jadedness she couldn’t possibly have. And, yeah, the key’s too low. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2565Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 11:27am

Bianca Marroquín returns as Roxie Hart June 21!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/CHICAGO-to-Welcome-Back-Bianca-Marroqun-as-Roxie-20220610

Oh look, a bibu!

BrodyFosse123
#2566Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 11:37am

And… we’re going backwards again.  At least CHICAGO was able to enjoy its brief “event show” moment when Pamela Anderson took her residency at the Ambassador Theatre.  Now we’re back to point zero… again.  Geez.  

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2567Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 11:38am

Boring. Maybe they have a name lined up for the Fall.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#2568Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 12:29pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "And… we’re going backwards again. At least CHICAGO was able to enjoy its brief “event show” moment when Pamela Anderson took her residency at the Ambassador Theatre. Now we’re back to point zero… again. Geez."

One would think with the love and acclaim Pamela got, more names would be expressing interest, especially those in a similar age range and lack of theatre background. I mean aside from a panto, she hasn't even acted since the 90s.

I feel like it's a usual refrain: "Maybe they have a name lined up..." but really, before Pam, when was the last time they had one?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Patti LuPone FANatic
#2569Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 5:45pm

A little clip of Miss Jennifer Holiday singing as Mama.  https://www.instagram.com/reel/CeoJD25g-nI/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#2570Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 7:45pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "And… we’re going backwards again. At least CHICAGO was able to enjoy its brief “event show” moment when Pamela Anderson took her residency at the Ambassador Theatre. Now we’re back to point zero… again. Geez. "

Bianca Marroquin is one of the best Roxies. One could only wish for more point zeroes.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

BrodyFosse123
#2571Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 7:53pm

Bianca is fantastic.  But she’s been doing this show for decades and outside of Broadway and Mexico, she’s unknown.  Those nightly crowds after each performance.  The sold out performances.  The cheering and enthusiastic audiences.  None of that happens when Bianca performs.  CHICAGO was truly magical between April 12 to June 5, 2022.  It was glorious seeing crowds outside the Ambassador Theatre daily.  Now W. 49th Street will return to its previous ghost town form.  There’s more to being a great talent.  An artist needs that special spark.  Pamela Anderson proved she has it and put CHICAGO back on people’s radar.  It’s all over now.  

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#2572Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/10/22 at 11:28pm

I love when a Roxie plays up the southern part during the courtroom scene. I’m curious did Pam? 

i would of seen Pam if I could but I fractured my foot, needed surgery and have been housebound for months and no friends that saw her, who I’d bet my life came away with something, have been kind enough to share. 

yay Jenn’s back as Mama. Did anyone get to see Holliday as Mama with Donna Marie as Velma? 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#2573Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/11/22 at 10:11am

I've been hoping for another exciting "stunt" casting for the summer.  I haven't seen Chicago since maybe 1999.  Was considering it for the Sunday evening of my trip at the end of July, but now I probably will choose something  else.  

EDIT: After looking through Show-Score I learned about the Classical Theatre of Harlem's free production of Twelth Night at Marcus Garvey Park this summer, & registered through Event Brite for a ticket to a Sunday evening performance. 

Back to about Chicago: I wish they would refresh this show by doing something like bringing back the costumes from the original production, even if they kept the current staging.  All the black & white now looks dated - like watching a rerun of Who Wants to be a Millionaire with Regis in a metallic coloured neck tie.

Updated On: 6/11/22 at 10:11 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#2574Chicago The Musical Appreciation Thread
Posted: 6/11/22 at 3:13pm

Anderson now Holliday then who's the next star for the fall?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos