pixeltracker

BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions- Page 11

BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#250BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/6/14 at 7:35pm

As much as I adore Stephanie J. Block, I don't think she would have been the right pick to originate the role. Idina, while sometimes inconsistent, did bring a lot to the role (one such example is taking the entire first half of the flying part ("So if you care to find me-everyone deserves the chance to fly!") up an entire octave). I also think she deserved the Tony she won.

I love almost all of Sondheim's shows, but I detest most of his "loyal" fans who claim he is pretty much the second coming of Jesus.
Same can be said for most WICKED fans. I love WICKED, I consider it my favorite musical, but I kind of hate the rabid fanbase it has gained.
I think "Spider-man" was a piece of crap and I'm glad to see it close.
"Porgy and Bess" should have a run on Broadway at some point with the original music and staging. I did adore the revival though.
"Gypsy" is a remarkable piece of theater, but it needs to NOT be revived for a long time.
I like "Death of a Salesman" but I can't sit through an entire performance of it unless the cast is absolutely top notch.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#251BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/6/14 at 10:58pm

I am not that demanding.

LOL.

fingerlakes, in the mid-1970s, the Houston Grand Opera did PORGY AND BESS at the Uris and Mark Hellinger--not as it was originally staged by the Theatre Guild, but as it was intended to be performed by its creators. (IIRC, the Guild got nervous that the piece was "too operatic" and insisted that much of the recitative be dropped so that it was more like a musical play.)

It remains one of the best productions of anything I have seen (and I had no experience with opera at the time). You can still find a few copies of the 3-CD recording at Amazon. I can't recommend it too highly.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#252BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/7/14 at 12:27am

I feel that the giant staircase at the end of Carrie was a brilliantly clever way to end the show.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#253BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/7/14 at 12:30am

Thank you GavestonPS! I'll have to look into that.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

BobbyBubbi  Profile Photo
BobbyBubbi
#254BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/7/14 at 2:12pm

-Linda Lavin's performance as Madame Rose wasn't /that/ bad.

-Grace Gummer (Meryl Streep's daughter) can't act. Stop shoving her down our throats.

-Ragtime The Musical should be made into a film.

-Barbra Streisand should have never turned her back on theatre. She would be held in higher regard today if she didn't and all the movies she made besides Funny Girl, suck.

-Carrie flopped for a reason. It's bad. Stop trying to make it work.

-The revival of Sunday in the Park with George, sucked.

-Are we /really/ going to see the SAME version of Cabaret Sam Mendes staged with Alan Cumming? Shame on you Roundabout.

-I hated A Funny Thing Happened… and The Producers.

-The revival of A Chorus Line was terrible and the show hasn't aged well at all.

-ALW's version of The Wizard of Oz on the West End was actually pretty spectacular.

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#255BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/7/14 at 2:28pm

I detest Cheno. I find her acting completely awful and feel like she is always pandering.

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#256BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/10/14 at 8:16am

GavestonPS, totally agree about the Houston Grand Opera PORGY AND BESS. Went to Philadelphia to see it, as it was not scheduled to come in to New York, and was blown away. Same production at the (then Uris, now Gershwin) equally amazing. Sadly, the later attempt to do it at Radio City Music Hall did not work. But that original production could not have been better.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#257BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/10/14 at 8:17pm

I'm sort of glad I missed the Radio City Music Hall version. It certainly filled the Uris beautifully, which is saying quite a lot.

chinto1984
#258BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 1/11/14 at 2:00am

Kristin Bell is fantastic. I thought she was the best part of Frozen.

I wish the would have found a better singer for Elsa. Willemijn Verkaik sounds so much better than Idina. Because Idina can't sing and is ruining little girls voices

cbcgirl4life
#259BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 4:12pm

Bonnie and Clyde should have run A LOT longer than it did

Matilda deserved the Tony over Kinky Boots

I love Shrek the Musical

Patti Lupone is my favorite Mama Rose and the 2008 revival is my favorite Gypsy

I loved the 2012 Annie revival

Hated the Les Mis movie

I hated It's Only a Play

Cinderella was amazing until the OBC left

Violet is incredibly underrated

Glee ruined Lea Michelle's reputation

Jenifer Dammiano is incredibly talented

I loved The Sound of Music Live, but hated Peter Pan live

Laura Benanti is my favorite ITW Cinderella and my favorite Louise

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#260BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 5:08pm

I love Audra McDonald's acting but I secretly dislike her voice in the majority of things that she has been in.

I'm in love with Cheno and LuPone's singing/howling/talking voices.

I obviously have a weird taste when it comes to voices!

1000songs
#261BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 5:14pm

Yes Sutton was way miscast in Anything Goes
Curious Dog was really really awfully written
I did not care for hair even though Kevin's lighting was really good
Daniel in How to Succeed deserved a Tony Nom
I am really bored of films becoming musicals.
I love Lea Michele
I thought BOM was good but not great too much cliche.
American Idiot deserved WAY more TONY NOMS
WTF to MEMPHIS winning the TONY
CZJ deserved her TONY Updated On: 12/20/14 at 05:14 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#262BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 5:32pm

The Disney-fication of Broadway is utter bulls*it.

Steven Pasquale deserved the Tony for Bridges Of Madison County.

Frozen was horrible and completely uninspiring.

I thought bringing Holler if Ya Hear Me to Broadway was awesome and bold as hell.

Off Broadway has better, more thought provoking shows nowadays.

baal
#263BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 6:18pm

Andrew Lloyd Webber is a great composer.

Dance of the Vampires has a great score, and the Roman Polanski directed production is absolutely thrilling.

I can't stand the negativity that people on the internet have when it comes to the talent of an individual or the merit of a piece. The majority of things that people in this thread have labelled as flat out "horrible" aren't. Even if I don't get a certain composer or performer, I very rarely think they're horrible, especially if they're at a level of success that wouldn't have come had they no talent to begin with.

losttheatre12 Profile Photo
losttheatre12
#264BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 6:25pm

I had the most fun watching MEMPHIS. The book didn't really wrap things up the way I wanted, but overall it was a truly enjoyable night of theatre for me. And LOVE NEVER DIES was one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen- set-wise. I couldn't hum a single note of it now, but the Australian production (the one they broadcast in movie theaters) made my jaw drop at how gorgeous it all was.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#265BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 8:56pm

- I enjoyed It's Only a Play immensely
- I think If/Then is smart and compelling (I have no problem with the book OR score)
- Marin should have been nominated for Bullets
- Carolee deserved the Tony over Patina
- Rachel Bay Jones should have been nominated and WON for Pippin
- I adore Heathers
- Side Show's not the problem. Tourists just want Disney crap
- Carrie has a beautiful score
- I thought Newsies was just ok
- Big Fish should still be running
- Nobert and Kate were snubbed this past season
- Shrek was a good time with mostly good music
- Edwin Drood should have won best revival
- The last revival of Promises, Promises was awesome
- I adore Scandalous
- Love 9 to 5
- Hate ALW, love Sondheim
- The Addams Family is a fun show with pretty ok music
- Faith Prince was my favorite Hannigan in the last Annie Revival

Updated On: 12/20/14 at 08:56 PM

Gothampc
#266BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 9:50pm

"Side Show's not the problem. Tourists just want Disney crap"

That's just the eggnog talking. You'll be embarrassed tomorrow when you sober up and realize what you've said. Side Show is the problem.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

carash22 Profile Photo
carash22
#267BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 9:54pm

- I’ll be the first to admit that HEATHERS has some major flaws, but I still love the show.
- Sutton has been miscast quite a few times, but she has also had quite a few shining moments that prove why she’s as popular as she is.
- I prefer Megan Hilty as Glinda over Cheno, but Cheno was phenomenal in many other roles (i.e. PROMISES PROMISES).
- Overall, WICKED is horribly overrated, but I’m glad that it at least makes some people notice and appreciate theater. In my opinion, PETER AND THE STARCATCHER (an all-around breathtaking experience) does the whole “prequel” thing much better.
- NEWSIES is by far my favorite Disney show (mainly because of the dancing), but I agree that it’s a bit one-dimensional.
- PHANTOM, MAMMA MIA, and GODSPELL are the worst and are three of the only shows I’ve ever struggled to sit through.
- Laura Osnes is queen and probably one of the most talented and versatile actresses on Broadway today.
- Sondheim and JRB are the best.
- I really wanted to like SIDE SHOW, but I just didn't find it spectacular.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#268BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/20/14 at 11:37pm

-I find the character of Glinda to be irritating and cloying and I sometimes feel that if you're playing Glinda, you may fit the description.
-I think that despite it's failure, bringing in Holler If Ya Here Me this year will be looked back on and studied for good reasons. Also, it wasn't a train wreck. It just wasn't right.
-I think we--actors, writers, directors, producers, fans, everyone really--need to look back to where modern theater originated from and respect that, from the shows themselves to the etiquette associated with (I'm 30 and know many young people who feel similar).
-Bernadette Peters as Mrs. Lovett needs to never happen. Just...no.
-I think anything that draws people to the theater is positive. If just one family saw Peter Pan Live! and then decided to buy tickets to a show in thei town, it's job was done correctly.
-I have no problem with celebrities in shows (and true stunt casting) if it brings people into the theaters. Awareness goes far.
-I feel Sierra Boggess has a beautiful voice, but is a one-dimensional actress.
-I perferred Christina DeCiccio and Caroline Bowman as Evita far, far more then Elena Roger.
-I don't think anything is lock until it opens. Sorry Kelli O'Hara, K&I revival, and Matthew Morrison.
-I thought On the Town was the best thing since sliced bread at BSC. I was let down by the Broadway production.
-Jonathan Groff and John Gallagher Jr. are far better theater actors then they are screen actors and should accept that.
-I think Michael C. Hall's Wicked Little Town reprise is totally stunning and rivals JCM.
-I think the revival of Hair in '09 was one of the best revivals in the past 20 years
-I thought Love Musik was superb.
Updated On: 12/20/14 at 11:37 PM

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#269BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/21/14 at 2:36am

I don't understand the hype about Bernadette Peters. I've never wanted to listen/watch a performance of hers more than once.

The Les Mis movie was unbelievably awful. I lost interest after Anne Hathaway died (which pains to me to say because I was IN the movie!)

Every single thing about Jeremy Jordan annoys me.

I'd have killed someone for another season of SMASH.

Kristen Chenoweth's voice is overrated. Her vibrato could cut through steel.

I love stunt casting in show's.

Sorry. Not sorry.

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

Fantod Profile Photo
Fantod
#270BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/21/14 at 3:00am

I really liked Bring it On for some reason

I also loved the tour of Mary Poppins, and thought that the way they rewrote the show was the best way to do it to prevent the show from being too similar to the movie

Martin Guerre was the best thing that B&S wrote

I really dislike LaChiusa aside from The Wild Party

Sondheim started out great, but became worse with every show he wrote (Merrily excepting)

Merrily We Roll Along works as a piece of drama as well as an exhibition for a great score, despite a horribly written book.

I enjoyed Sister Act

I also liked Bernadette in Follies

I didn't like Pippin

I like Carol Channing's singing voice

I can't stand Norbert Leo Butz or Brian Stoke Mitchell

Ragtime is a hot mess with an astounding opening number (I only realized recently that this is a controversial opinion)

Updated On: 12/21/14 at 03:00 AM

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#271BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/21/14 at 3:35am

- I can't stand Sutton Foster's voice and her performance in Anything Goes didn't deserve the Tony
- Andrea Martin was amazing in Pippin, but Tovah Feldshuh was even better
- I don't think Heathers is so goood
- Tyne Daly was an amazing Madame Rose
- Bernadette Peters was sensational in Gypsy, but her standby Maureen Moore maybe was even better
- I'm still pissed Spring Awakening won Best Musical and not Grey Gardens
- NPH is very overrated: his performance in Hedwig was great, but he did a mess every time he played Sondheim
- Idina Menzel is incredibly overrated: they call her the Queen of Broadway when she sounds vocally exhausted for half of the shows every week
- Elena Roger was an amazing Eva and an incredible Fosca
- Donna Murphy was wonderful in Passion, but Maria Friedman was even better
- I love Audra McDonald with all my heart, but Cherry Jones should have won best actress
- More Stephen Flaherty and Lynn Ahrens shows should be on Broadway
- Angela Lansbury is amazing, but my favourite Lovett is Imelda Staunton
- I can't understand why Sierra Boggess is considered so good. Lovely signer, terrible actress
- Bernadette Peters was an amazing Sally in Follies
- Emma Thompson was an awful Mrs. Lovett
- Elaine Paige was an amazing Carlotta in Follies and she was totally robbed of a Tony nod
- Kinky Boots is such a stupid show
- Bridges is one of the most boring shows ever staged on Broadway, each song was a pastiche of cliches
- Adrian Lester is the best Robert ever in Company
- Florence Lacey is an incredible performer and terribly underrated
- West End is better than Broadway at the moment

Updated On: 12/21/14 at 03:35 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#272BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/21/14 at 4:02am

Maybe some people need the definition of CONTROVERSIAL.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Everlast85 Profile Photo
Everlast85
#273BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/21/14 at 4:48am

Oh just shut up. This thread has evolved in the past year and half.

Deal.

AwesomeDanny
#274BROADWAY SECRETS: Wherein we confess our controversial opinions
Posted: 12/21/14 at 5:58am

I think Samuel Hunter is today's most overrated playwright. Off the top of my head, I could think of at least a dozen young playwrights more deserving of the genius grant that he received this year. And I think Katori Hall is our most underrated playwright.

I also can't stand anything by Annie Baker. Or any other playwright with a similar disdain for plot and insistence on writing plays in which nothing happens. And I actually really enjoy Theresa Rebeck's works, for the most part, if only because her melodrama is the antithesis of Annie Baker's Chekhovian style.

I think A Minister's Wife is a truly fantastic piece, and Joshua Schmidt is one of the Great musical theatre composers.

I prefer the theatre scene in Chicago over that in New York. This wasn't always the case, but the dominance of the nonprofit theatre creates a really great artistic atmosphere in which more risks are taken, and the sense of community and ensemble is stronger. The past few years, I think Chicago's theatre scene has been gaining credibility what with the Broadway transfers from Steppenwolf and Jessie Mueller's rise to Broadway stardom, and I couldn't be happier about that.

I thought Jessica Chastain was truly dreadful in The Heiress. She ranked among the worst performances I have ever seen in a professional production.

I don't know how controversial or accepted this last point will be, but I think we are living in a golden age of new plays. Just look at playwrights who have emerged in recent years: Stephen Karam, Amy Herzog, Katori Hall, Tarrell Alvin McCraney, Andrew Bovell, Nina Raine, Quiara Alegria Hudes, Ayad Akhtar, Lisa D'Amour, Sarah Ruhl, and so many more. And we're still getting great plays from the likes of Tracy Letts, Bruce Norris, Donald Margulies, Jon Robin Baitz, Conor McPherson, Tony Kushner, John Patrick Shanley, Rebecca Gilman, John Logan, and other established playwrights. Even Caryl Churchill and Edward Albee are still cranking out plays in their old age. The musical may have seen much finer days, but there are so many great playwrights writing fantastic plays. It's truly a shame that most of our young playwrights aren't being produced on Broadway.

Videos