pixeltracker

K-POP On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread- Page 11

K-POP On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread

VintageSnarker
#250K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/11/22 at 5:45pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel said: "As others have mentioned - why have they not been all over TikTok? I just checked their account - they’ve got maybe ten videos and just shy of 2500 followers. Just as an example, BTS (who, granted, are one of the biggest bands in the world), have 54 million followers on TikTok - and I am sure some of those 54 million followers are in the NYC area. There’s an audience there. They don’t seem to be making an effort to find it - and I am wondering if that tells us all we need to know, which is that they’re planning on it closing and don’t want to invest the money to market it."

How much can it possibly cost to film TikToks, even if you pay the cast for their time? It's a minor point since I don't think they're doing enough to market the show, but I wonder if SEO is hurting them. 

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#251K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 12:18am

VintageSnarker said: "Dirty Rotten Scoundrel said: "As others have mentioned - why have they not been all over TikTok? I just checked their account - they’ve got maybe ten videos and just shy of 2500 followers. Just as an example, BTS (who, granted, are one of the biggest bands in the world), have 54 million followers on TikTok - and I am sure some of those 54 million followers are in the NYC area. There’s an audience there. They don’t seem to be making an effort to find it - and I am wondering if that tells us all we need to know, which is that they’re planning on it closing and don’t want to invest the money to market it."

How much can it possibly cost to film TikToks, even if you pay the cast for their time? It's a minor point since I don't think they're doing enough to market the show, but I wonder if SEO is hurting them.

"

Or, more specifically, do the producers (or the marketing agency) even know what SEO is? I've found that internet marketing for major/NYC productions can be very hit-or-miss. And while I understand that a serious agency isn't going to be totally incompetent when it comes to digital advertising, what the producers want, or believe to be important, can be outdated to what really matters. 

NicoleMWright2
#252K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 1:19am

Show started at about 8:30 tonight, they didn’t open the doors until 8. Every single swing was on and this was the listing on the board:

Amy Keum was MwE

Patrick Park was Brad

Lina Rose Lee was Ivy

Marina Kondo was Sonoma

Timothy H. Lee was Wooyeon

Jason Depinto was Camera Operator

Director Teddy Bergman made a speech prior to the start thanking us for our patience as they were figuring things out with all of the coverage. He mentioned that some of the on-screen videos would not match up to the person playing the role tonight and that some might have a script in hand (only happened once and it was during a rehearsal scene so it blended right in). They were apparently sold out tonight and also had some people in standing room. I had a great time, it was a special performance for sure. 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#253K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 2:30am

Amy must have been amazing!!! She is pure talent.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

BoringBoredBoard40
#254K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 4:37am

this show just can't catch a break, a week from opening when press is probably starting to come in and six swings are on  

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#255K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 10:09am

Oh wow! Kudos to the swings last night!!! I went with friends on Thursday evening Nov 10th and the show started at around 8:20pm. At 8:10pm they made an announcement that there were tech difficulties and hence the delay in starting. Both Luna and Zachary Noah Piser were there so I hope both are ok since they were out last night.

Timothy Lee made his Broadway debut as camera operator and he was great! So happy for him!

Right when F8 was about to start “Amerika” they stopped the show for a tech issue. I’m glad no one got hurt and they were able to continue. Despite the hiccups my friends and I had a great time!!!

Loved MwE’s finale song “Phoenix” and really cool to see more audience members getting into the finale songs. Even saw a few people give standing ovation for Luna/MwE!

I’ll admit seeing excited and respectful audience members can be infectious and makes the experience of seeing this show even better.

forfivemoreminutes
#256K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 7:34pm

For those of you who have done rush or TDF recently, where have your seats been?

lachri5
#257K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 8:01pm

I rushed this morning via TodayTix. Very good seat. Front orch center, row D.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#258K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 8:37pm

According to Abraham Lim’s Instagram story, tonight’s performance was cancelled, though they are still scheduled to play tomorrow afternoon. No reason was given but there were a lot of swings on the last few nights.

I think this is their third or fourth cancelled preview now. Yikes!

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

forfivemoreminutes
#259K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 8:44pm

lachri5 said: "I rushed this morning via TodayTix. Very good seat. Front orch center, row D."

Thank you! Can you see the seat location (or general section) before you purchase through TodayTix?

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#260K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 10:28pm

Tonight's performance cancelled. This show can't catch a break. Hopefully the matinee tomorrow can go on.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BCfitasafiddle
#261K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/12/22 at 10:30pm

This is a mess.

lachri5
#262K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 1:08am

forfivemoreminutes said: "lachri5 said: "I rushed this morning via TodayTix. Very good seat. Front orch center, row D."

Thank you! Can you see the seat location (or general section) before you purchase through TodayTix?
"

No. From all my rush experiences, you never know where your seat is until you get the physical ticket at the box office.

Ensemble1665759202
#263K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 10:18am

Unfortunately (as much as some people want to pretend), covid didn't go anywhere sad

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#264K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 10:26am

lachri5 said: "forfivemoreminutes said: "lachri5 said: "I rushed this morning via TodayTix. Very good seat. Front orch center, row D."

"

No. From all my rush experiences, you never know where your seat is until you get the physical ticket at the box office.
"

TodayTix rushes for Roundabout shows with live ticketing sometimes show the seat location before purchasing. 1776 does, and Birthday Candles did.

Updated On: 11/13/22 at 10:26 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#265K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 11:54am

Odd that they only cancelled the evening show last night and not the matinee. This show is gone I. Two weeks anyways.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#266K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 12:42pm

I think this is some really unfortunate timing. It’s really hard to open a show right now, with lack of both coverage and rehearsal. No one really talks about how hard it is to keep shows going with people getting sick, but we saw so much cancellation a year ago when covid breakouts were happening. In such a tight, intricate production like this, it’s unsafe to just throw people on without rehearsal. It’s also really unfortunate that these people are probably being overworked because of the preview process itself. It’s unfortunate about it being this show that’s already struggling, but I think it’s a bigger conversation that we haven’t really done anything about over the last year.

Ensemble1665759202
#267K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 12:51pm

HeyMrMusic said: "I think this is some really unfortunate timing. It’s really hard to open a show right now, with lack of both coverage and rehearsal. No one really talks about how hard it is to keep shows going with people getting sick, but we saw so much cancellation a year ago when covid breakouts were happening. In such a tight, intricate production like this, it’s unsafe to just throw people on without rehearsal. It’s also really unfortunate that these people are probably being overworked because of the preview process itself. It’s unfortunate about it being this show that’s already struggling, but I think it’s a bigger conversation that we haven’t really done anything about over the last year."

100% agree. This is going to continue to be a problem for all Broadway shows moving forward, but especially those with bigger casts. We kinda transitioned to a "figure it out on your own" approach to covid nationwide, and it's going to be something that continues to plague (no pun intended) an already struggling industry moving forward.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#268K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 1:04pm

It's not just COVID that's going around right now either, it's regular ol' cold and flu season and everybody's immune systems are weird from various stages of lockdown/mask wearing. Everyone is in close quarters backstage and stuff is going around really rapidly no matter what we do. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#269K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 1:19pm

Yeah, it’s various states of under-the-weather, and it’s probably a good thing that people call out when they’re feeling sick and not just powering through and continuing the spread. But also, that means more and more people are calling out when they wouldn’t have in the past. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#270K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 1:33pm

Korean Pop music is hugely popular worldwide but it just doesn't translate to Broadway I guess. I can't imagine working on something and busting my ass for years, only to have it close so quickly. I hope it's not the case, obviously, but the grosses are some of the lowest I've ever seen around here. Truly unfortunate all around. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#271K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 1:49pm

This entire thing is bad producing 101

It absolutely should have done the out of town try out

It has zero recognizable names to a Broadway audience and unknown writers 

It is clearly a totally different show from the thing people loved five years ago, so why not call it something else

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#272K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 3:52pm

Did the matinee happen today? Who was on?

JuneJune
#273K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 4:14pm

It's a shame that they had to cancel last night. A friend who got her tickets exchanged told me that they were actually sold out for that performance.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#274K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/13/22 at 5:13pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "This entire thing is bad producing 101

It absolutely should have done the out of town try out

It has zero recognizable names to a Broadway audience and unknown writers

It is clearly a totally different show from the thing people loved five years ago, so why not call it something else

"

Which theaters out of town have a similar theater space to circle in the square?

I think the show would have fared better if it opened in late spring right before Tony cutoff date.

Videos