News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy- Page 11

Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy

verywellthensigh
#250Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/25/23 at 11:00am

My, this sounds EDGY!

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#251Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/27/23 at 10:31am

I first encountered this show, before seeing the (vastly superior) movie, in the West End transfer of a Watermill production. It was basically minimalist with the Watermill thing of the actors playing their own instruments, with just a very plain spiral staircase for a set. Funny how sometimes a major production kind of fades in a show's history after the fashion changes. Anyway, I understood the plot fine. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#252Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/27/23 at 11:06am

Thanks Jordan! As much as I love a big lavish production, this sounds interesting and hoping it comes over! 

AP1979 Profile Photo
AP1979
#253Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/28/23 at 1:59pm

Thank you everyone for such interesting feedback about this production. As an old man of 45 I have had the opportunity to experience this show a few times….1994 at The Shubert Theater in Los Angeles with Glenn Close. Loved it so much that I bought tickets to see Glenn Close replacement Faye Dunaway….and we all know how that worked out lol. Next production I saw was Broadway with Betty Buckley and then again with Karen Mason. Then came 2017 with Glenn Close again. Anyway, I share this because it’s been fascinating to see each of these women make the role their own. 
Anyway, thanks again for all of the info on this new production. I bought a ticket to see this show once again tomorrow night in London and it’s so nice to have some insight into what I am about to see. 😊

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#254Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/28/23 at 3:54pm

Old man at 45. cheeky

Old man status these days is 80. Sad you feel old at 45. I’m 58 and still surf a few times a week and I also skateboard. Both have kept me fit since my teens. My body is still as agile as it was at 15. 

Listener
#255Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/28/23 at 4:42pm

Wow. I was kind of interested to maybe get out and see this new incarnation of the show, but truthfully, part of the appeal to me IS the time period. What Joe and Norma are up to throughout the plot seems especially taboo because we tend to think of the Hollywood of the past as this period of manners and etiquette and yet, this story exposes how cruel and messy it all was.

Giving it a minimalist contemporary twist might save a few bucks (quite a few bucks!) but it sounds like it robs the audience of going back to a different time and seeing what the pressures were like then, versus now.

People today just don't think of Hollywood as this pristine perfect place where dreams come true. Joe and Norma's disillusionment really is a statement when it's set in the nostalgic period of way back when.

If it's all laptops and projections and the "period piece" element is gone, I'm considerably less excited. Just me?

Updated On: 9/28/23 at 04:42 PM

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#256Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/28/23 at 4:51pm

Listener said: "Wow. I was kind of interested to maybe get out and see this new incarnation of the show, but truthfully, part of the appeal to me IS the time period. What Joe and Norma are up to throughout the plot seems especially taboo because we tend to think of the Hollywood of the past as this period of manners and etiquette and yet, this story exposes how cruel and messy it all was.

Giving it a minimalist contemporary twist might save a few bucks (quite a few bucks!) but it sounds like it robs the audience of going back to a different time and seeing what the pressures were like then, versus now.

People today just don't think of Hollywood as this pristine perfect place where dreams come true. Joe and Norma's disillusionment really is a statement when it's set in the nostalgic period of way back when.

If it's all laptops and projections and the "period piece" element is gone, I'm considerably less excited. Just me?
"

I get that - especially as Sunset Blvd remains one of my all-time, if not the favorite ALW score of mine.

But I think that notion of Hollywood is so removed from people's minds and experiences, let alone silent films, talkies...  that when the 2017 revival happened, it seemed to draw more nostalgia audiences looking to see Glen Close reprise her Tony Winning role than bringing a new audience in.  And from the descriptions it feels like the minimalist approach is touching more on the deeper psychological themes that are far more universal and not confined to Hollywood of yesteryear.

Listener
#257Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/28/23 at 4:59pm

...and it saves a few bucks, LOL.

I'll be happy for the production if they manage to bring new dimension to the piece, but it's kind of like going to a restaurant and getting a steak dinner "reduction" or "foam" or something. Sure, that sounds impressive, but it's really a great way to rationalize copping out on the real deal.

I hate this feeling I keep having that none of us will ever see the Real Sunset Boulevard again, or something equivalent. Something with a grand production design that is happy to be a period piece.

But then, I also enjoy silent movies and black and white cinema. Seeing how a star from that era would have lived is part of the magic of experiencing the piece. If it's about losing your career, or losing your lover, or losing your mind...aren't there other shows that explore that subject matter just as well if not better?

Updated On: 9/28/23 at 04:59 PM

The Scorpion
#258Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/30/23 at 10:37am

Listener said: "
I hate this feeling I keep having that none of us will ever see the Real Sunset Boulevard again, or something equivalent. Something with a grand production design that is happy to be a period piece."

The best production I've seen of the show wasn't the original at the Adelphi, but actually a revival circa 2011 in Gothenburg. The set design was heavily influenced by the aesthetic of the Wilder movie with incredible attention to detail, and the orchestra and actors were all superb. So much so that they stole stuff from it (including both the car and Max!) to use in Lonny Price's Coliseum/Broadway revival. I much prefer that kind of take to the lazy approach taken by Jamie Lloyd here. I don't find anything in this revelatory or meaningful; it is about gimmick and shock value and the imposition of a well-worn aesthetic that he used time and time again on yet another property, at the expense of serving the story.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#259Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 9/30/23 at 12:35pm

That Gothernburg production really was great, visually. I loved the 2017 revival because I adore the show & Glen, but it left a lot to be desired in terms of design. Totally get why it was scaled down for the ENO concert, but they should have beefed it up more for the transfer. Would have been great if we could have gotten some replacements out of that revival. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

AP1979 Profile Photo
AP1979
#260Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/1/23 at 1:08pm

So I saw Sunset on Friday and have been racking my brain how to give my thoughts, but the previous reviewers have already done a great job and I don't want to be repetitive.

It's not the old Sunset, not even close. Definitely go with an open mind. Personally, I found it to be entertaining and thought provoking along with a little camp thrown into the mix. And Scherzinger did a fantastic job belting her two big numbers. They both stopped the show, and for good reason. She sounded great, the orchestra sounded great and it's a strong cast. And let me point out I am in no way partial to Scherzinger, I saw her in Cats a few years ago and might know one Pussycat Dolls song.
So, for anyone on the fence, I say definitely go!
I was reading Variety this morning and this really sums it up:

“Scherzinger’s initial reaction when director Jamie Lloyd offered her the role of Desmond was one of incredulity. “I was like, ‘Are you out of your mind?’ First of all, I still look great under bright lights. And isn’t that an older woman who is, like, an old relic? How does that even remotely have anything to do with me?,” Scherzinger told The Sunday Times. “I was, like, ‘Yo, this chick is crazy. I don’t want to play her. She crazy.’”

It was the music that persuaded Scherzinger to take up the role eventually. “When I listened to the music I felt those were songs I could have written, like they were my songs. This is a completely different show than the musical people know. I feel like we might as well change the name of the show because it’s a completely different story we’re telling,” Scherzinger told The Sunday Times, adding that in her interpretation of the role Desmond “is not crazy. She’s madly passionate about what she feels like she was put on this earth to do. She’s in love with her art. And there’s nothing tragic or pitiful about that. She’s wanting to be seen for who she really is.”

I hope this helps, and don’t be too hard on my review lol! It can be a tough crowd in here lol. 😊

yyys
#261Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/1/23 at 7:14pm

some of the Dress Circle are being sold as "Limited viewing of elevated scenes".   Does it apply to this production?

is Grand Circle totally fine ?

JasonC3
#262Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/1/23 at 8:35pm

yyys said: "some of the Dress Circle are being sold as "Limited viewing of elevated scenes". Does it apply to this production?

is Grand Circle totally fine ?
"

some seating advice here:

https://www.theatremonkey.com/venues/savoy-theatre

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#263Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/3/23 at 6:24am

If it is true that Broadway is on its last legs, this production will definitely kill it off for good!  

OhHiii
#264Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/3/23 at 8:49am

Impeach2017 said: "If it is true that Broadway is on its last legs, this production will definitely kill it off for good!"

Might I suggest a nice long walk outside? Maybe touch some grass while you’re at it?

Owen22
#265Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 3:21am

I saw this last night and am still so blown away by what I witnessed I can't yet formulate thoughts for a proper review. It was everything one could want in a reimagining of a classic! I will note, as it has not yet been mentioned, that this production reinserts the satire (on a slightly different angle) which was the mark of the Wilder film (satire that the original Sunset production pretty much excised). 

DurantPlummer41
#266Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 5:03am

I saw this production on Monday night. I had previously seen the Gleen Close revival in 2017. My knowledge of Scherzinger was limited to the few Pussycat Dolls songs and that she is a reality competition judge. I was completely blown away by Nicole's performance. Her vocals and delivery of the big numbers are very very strong, she also brings a humor to the role that felt a tad stilted with Glenn. 

In regard to seating. I was in the dress circle. There is quite a bit of video, I'm guessing some of the visuals of the large video screen would be cut off by the overhang. I was in row B and obviously had no issues. I don't think there was anything truly important that would have been missed.

Overall, I loved this production. The cutting of the two comedy numbers, 'ladys paying' and 'eternal youth...' fit the tone and flow of the show. The show dragged a lot less than I remember the 2017 revival. The orchestra sounded lush and full. It took me until Norma's entrance/ 'with one look' to fully be on board with the style of the production. I had previously only seen Jamie Lloyd's 'A Doll's House,' I feel like this show fits much better with his style. I didn't fully enjoy the whispering of 'Doll's House' but thought his directorial style enhanced the storytelling of this piece. There were a few choices that didn't feel correct tonally but overall a win in my book. There were also some truncations of the book scenes. I don't know the show well enough to give specifics. The one thing as with all Jamie productions, I don't know how this production would read if it's your first interaction with the piece.

If anyone watches Drag Race Philippines, I adored Nicole's little 'M1ss Jade So' flourishes in her character work. I doubt it was intentional but the unabashed camp fit so well for her modern Norma.

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#267Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 7:19am

A big part of the appeal of this show is the time period it is set in. It is woven in with every lyric in the show too. Have they changed all the lyrics too? The tone and feel of the music itself is very "old hollywood", not "modern laptop". Also, it is a terrific chance for actors to dive into a character and another time period. 

I wonder why a director feels the need to do this to a show. Is it for the sake of change? Wanting to put their own stamp on it? Is it because the director promised Scherzinger that it would be something different, because she was offended by being offered the role as we know it? Is it because the director questions Scherzinger's acting ability and wants to make the role easier for her? Is it contempt for the audiences, thinking they are not able to follow a story of different times? That they need to see modern things in order to recognize something? 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#268Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 8:16am

Seb28 - you're overanalyzing this way beyond necessary.  This is an interpretation of a classic musical.  Nothing more.  The original still exists and will be done for eternity everywhere in its expected type of production.  Jamie Lloyd simply has taken the source musical and revisioned it in HIS style - minimal, modernistic, etc.  Nothing more.  By doing this, the traditional storytelling has new interpretation. Everyone who is embracing this production (including Betty Buckley and countless other seasoned theater professionals), are taking it exactly for what it is - a reinterpretation. Nothing more. It's simply a fun ride done on a professional level. This isn't intended to solve the world crisis or cure cancer.  By keeping and playing up the time period the original story takes place in AND in this modern world is part of the intended contrasting of worlds.  If you don't get it, then stick to those tired always-by-the-book stagings.  They'll be less stressful for you.  

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#269Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 8:35am

I can’t wait for the Jamie Lloyd version of Hello Dolly.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#270Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 8:47am

BrodyFosse123 said: "If you don't get it, then stick to those tired always-by-the-book stagings. They'll be less stressful for you."

Must you be so imperious and condescending?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

verywellthensigh
#271Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:43am

Melissa25 said: "I can’t wait for the Jamie Lloyd version of Hello Dolly."

His production of Guys and Dolls is going to be so edge you'll soil yourself.  Sarah and Miss Adelaide perform "Marry the Man Today" while running in a giant gerbil wheel to illustrate their victimhood under The Patriarchy.

FolliesCabaret Profile Photo
FolliesCabaret
#272Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 10:58am

verywellthensigh said: "Melissa25 said: "I can’t wait for the Jamie Lloyd version of Hello Dolly."

His production of Guys and Dolls is going to be so edge you'll soil yourself. Sarah and Miss Adelaide perform "Marry the Man Today" while running in a giant gerbil wheel to illustrate their victimhood under The Patriarchy.
"

I often want to argue when some individuals claim that theatre people aren't funny, but god damn y'all make it so hard sometimes. Let's stick to seeing shows if this is the best you have up your sleeve.

DurantPlummer41
#273Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 5:18pm

also the running to show their exhaustion is not far off. lol

Seb28 Profile Photo
Seb28
#274Nicole Scherzinger to star in West End Sunset Boulevard at the Savoy
Posted: 10/4/23 at 7:11pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "It's simply a fun ride done on a professional level.

If you don't get it, then stick to those tired always-by-the-book stagings. They'll be less stressful for you."

You can also give Valjean in Les Mis a laptop. Fun. I can see it for what it is, a variation, I just don't get the need. The whole material is based on a certain time, story and details. I think it's ego and rebelliousness. "Look how provoking I am and not follow traditions". 

Videos