Unpopular opinions you hold- Page 13

Unpopular opinions you hold

voteforsaraberry Profile Photo
voteforsaraberry
#300Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/29/11 at 4:06pm

-I cannot stand Aaron Tevit
-13 is an enjoyable musical.
-Anything Goes. What even? That was just confusing and un-enjoyable.
-Eden Espinosa was the greatest Elphaba.
-I used to think this shouldn't have been the case, but Laura Benanti should have won the Tony over Nikki.
-Rannells and Rory O' Malley also should have won their Tonys.
-The Godspell revival deserves to stay.

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#301Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/29/11 at 7:38pm

Agreed, Eden Espinosa was the best! (Though my second fave is definitely Teal Wicks).

I love Blood Brothers. I know that most people hate it, but its always been one of my favorites.

I actually love Alice Ripley's voice. And for that matter, a voice with character as opposed to a standard-Disney sounding voice.

I was the only person not excited about Book of Mormon.

Never been a fan of Kristen Chenoweth. I mean, she can sing...but for acting, I don't find her believable or capable of playing anything other than herself.

Also, not a huge fan of Sutton Foster or Susan Egan (again, rather bland for my taste).

Or Marin Mazzie. Again, nice voice but not so much an actress.

Donna Murphy is highly underrated.

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

rorschach37
#302Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/30/11 at 5:15pm

I think American Idiot deserved a much longer run on Broadway.
Wicked is completely overrated and I just wish it would leave.
I really liked Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark (2.0; never saw the preview version).

wcoyote
#303Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 11/30/11 at 7:33pm

Hated Memphis - Don't know how it won anything.
Hated American Idiot - Over Amplified, over strobed dribble
Micheal Mayer is overrated
Loved The Civil War - Beautiful lyrics and music
The Full Monty got ripped off at the Tonys
The Producers did not deserve 12 Tonys-maybe 8
Rannels should have won.
I like Sutton Foster

romgitsean
#304Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/13/12 at 11:45am

I really like the Godspell revival. I realize it has some flaws, but it's just got so much talent and the rearrangements sound awesome (Beautiful City, anyone?)

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM
Updated On: 1/13/12 at 11:45 AM

emida Profile Photo
emida
#305Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/14/12 at 1:39am

-I like Glee and Lea Michele
-I loved Catch Me If You Can and Little Women
-I prefer Bernadette's Mama Rose than Patti's
-I am not a fan of Patti LuPone
-I have absolutely no interest in Lord Webber's musicals, but I can tolerate Phantom of the Opera when I'm in a good mood.
-I enjoyed The Little Mermaid (even with all it's flaws)
-I don't worship Harvey Fierstein

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#306Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/14/12 at 1:41am

-I think that Marion Cotillard sounded flat, breathy and horrible in Nine and I never want to see her in another musical again.

raisethecurtain
#307Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/18/12 at 9:47pm

I am not a Sondheim fan.
As far as Lea Michele goes - I find her diva behavior off stage/camera to be more of a turn-off than the over-auto-tuning of her voice. I adore her in Spring Awakening, but can't stand her in Glee.
I did not like Eden Espinosa's voice as Elphaba. I enjoyed her acting, but cringed inside when she sang. Megan Hilty picked up the performance as Glinda though.
I've actually seen Wicked six or seven times with four different casts, and enjoyed it each time. Teal Wicks is my favorite live Elphaba, though.
After a bad experience with Brian D'Arcy James, I can not bring myself to listen to any shows he's been in.
I prefer Bernadette's Mama Rose over Patti's, any day.
I adore Sutton Foster, and quite enjoyed seeing her in Anything Goes.
I'm a big fan of most movie musicals, especially Rent, Phantom, Chicago, and Nine. I just take them with a grain of salt and try to not compare them to the stage production.
Like others on here, I love bootleggers. If I have the opportunity to see a show in person, of course that will happen. However, if I miss the original cast or have no way of getting to New York in time, then bootlegs are most welcome!
I preferred 9 to 5 when it was in LA. There was a song - "The One I Love", I think it was called - that was so sweet and showcased Violet's son's voice. It was fantastic.
I always enjoy Stephanie J. Block when I see her in performance. On a recording - not as much.
There's more, but not off the top of my head.

mike1meketa
#308Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/18/12 at 10:47pm

I love the sore to Georgy by George Fischoff.
The Story Of My Life made me cry.
I cannot sit through a listen of Memphis

timothyj91 Profile Photo
timothyj91
#309Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 3:29am

- I love Sutton Foster
- Spiderman is the worst thing I have ever spent money to watch.
- I absolutely loved Cry Baby
- I thought the last revival of West Side Story was awesome and saw it four times.
- Glee season one was decent -- everything went downhill during and after season two.
- Idk if this is an "unpopular opinion" but young theatregoers who act like they are going to be on Broadway tomorrow piss me off.
- I loved Priscilla but their Australian accents are terrible and make me sick to my stomach.
- The only reason I liked H2$ more than Promises, Promises is because it had Harry Potter.

Updated On: 1/19/12 at 03:29 AM

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#310Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 6:53am

I don't like the song "Losing My Mind." Anybody's version. And really, "The sun comes up/I think about you/The coffee cup/I think about you". Those are not Sondheim's best lyrics.

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#311Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 6:39pm

<<- Idk if this is an "unpopular opinion" but young theatregoers who act like they are going to be on Broadway tomorrow piss me off.>>

Hahaha, totally agree!

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#312Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 6:47pm

'I don't like the song "Losing My Mind." Anybody's version. And really, "The sun comes up/I think about you/The coffee cup/I think about you". Those are not Sondheim's best lyrics.'

It's like you're losing your mind.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

theeatah Profile Photo
theeatah
#313Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 7:29pm

"And really, "The sun comes up/I think about you/The coffee cup/I think about you"."

Can you elaborate as to why you don't like those lyrics?

Updated On: 1/20/12 at 07:29 PM

Visceral_Fella
#314Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 7:29pm

-Bernadette Captures Sally very well from an acting standpoint
-Julia Murney's voice is incredible
-Jan Maxwell is more deserving of the tony this year than Audra.
-I like Reeve Carney's voice
-RENT is not as good as people make it out to be.
-Rosario Dawson was fantastic in RENT
-Though I don't like any of Annaeligh Ashford's work she's very charismatic.
-Sister Act is a good show
-Patina Miller is half assing
-Memphis is a good show (granted I saw Dan'yelle Williamson as Felicia)
-Sheryl Lee Ralph's voice is not anything special
-Phylicia Rashad while a brilliant actress wasn't right for Momma in A Raisin in the Sun
-Camae was NOT a good role for Angela Bassett
-Stage Dooring is WAY overrated!
-Lea Michelle is a good performer.
-Stephanie J Block has one of the best broadway voices I've heard in years.
-The sound of Bebe Neuwirth's voice is awful
-I HATE Glee
-Idina Menzel's voice is either good or unacceptable, though mostly the latter. There's no middle ground with her.
-Ashanti wasn't bad in The Wiz Updated On: 1/19/12 at 07:29 PM

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#315Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 7:33pm

Does canmark need a reason? I don't really like that song either. And I'm positive that if Sondheim didn't write those lyrics some people would pick it apart.
It's an opinion after all. Some people do not like Sondheim. Does not make them any less of a theater fan.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#316Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 7:45pm

"Sometimes I stand/In the middle of the floor/Not going left/Not going right"

I find that song totally inane. Also, it's usually sung at such a dull, slow, leaden pace--with the exception of the Liza/Pet Shop Boys dance version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR_mjkxc7Ys

To further my unpopular opinion, I would say that I find "Mr. Goldstone" utterly delightful. Yay, Sondheim!

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)
Updated On: 1/19/12 at 07:45 PM

gabrieljwickedone Profile Photo
gabrieljwickedone
#317Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 8:42pm

I can't stand Patti LuPone.

I think Bernadette was the best Mama Rose. Ever.

I think Ethel Merman is an awful singer.

The only Sondheim musicals I like are Sweeney Todd and Into the Woods. The rest are boring and he writes really boring music. It's like it's only there to push the already bland story along.

Next to Normal. Oh God. No.

Rodgers and Hammerstein are the best thing to happen to Musical Theatre.

I'm excited for the Cinderella Broadway run.

Bonnie and Clyde should have lasted longer.

Chicago needs to go.

Thank God Billy Elliot is gone.

fingerlakessinger
#318Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 9:04pm

^Agree with you on a lot of that stuff. NTN and Sondheim not so much but I share your sentiments lol.
I get that Ethel Merman had a POWERFUL voice, just grates on me... a lot.

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#319Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 10:28pm

The second act of Anything Goes is painfully boring.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#320Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 10:42pm

Being a Sondheim fan is correlated with intelligence, beauty and success in life. Oh and sex..lots and lots of hot steamy sex.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/19/12 at 10:42 PM

fingerlakessinger
#321Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 1/19/12 at 10:50pm

^ I sincerely hope you are kidding lol

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#322Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 7:37pm

I love Cats. Yes, I find the lack of plot annoying... but I love the music.

I don't like Wicked but I am forever thankful to it for getting me interested in musical theatre.

Godspell is a brilliant musical and "Tower of Babble" is one of the most musically intelligent songs.

Idina Menzel is not terrible... but she is certainly NOT the best.

Patti LuPone is a decent performer but her personality makes me want to shoot her.

Bernadette Peters: I think she was the best Rose of all time (June Havoc agrees) and her Sally is incredible.

I loved CZJ in Night Music.

Anyone Can Whistle has one of the best plotlines.

Dance Moms is the only TV show to realistically portray the road to Broadway.

The Chicago movie is better than any stage production and CZJ is my favourite Velma. (I hate that it cut "When Velma Takes the Stand", though).

I mentioned this a few days ago, but I hate Frances Rufelle's Eponine.

Samantha Barks was a better Eponine than Lea Salonga, but Lea Salonga was the best Fantine.

I like Sutton Foster's Reno, and I enjoy her as a performer.

I believe the only reason Bernadette wasn't nominated for Best Actress for Follies was because they gave her the Isabelle Stevenson award.

Hugh Jackman drives me crazy.

I hate Rent with a burning passion.

Mandy Patinkin is a gorgeous, gorgeous man.

Lastly.. and this is definitely an unpopular opinion around here... I think Bernadette Peters is the best performer of all time.

Oh, yeah, and "Masquerade" is the only good thing about Phantom.

"Nice is different than good."

CJ N2N Profile Photo
CJ N2N
#323Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 7:48pm

West Side Story's book sucks.

All of the angsty shows that have appeared on Broadway in the past 20 or so years are some of my absolute favorites.

Grease is extremely boring.

OrdinaryJukebox
#324Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 8:35pm

Eh, depends on who you ask on this board. You could be stating a very simple opinion and get called a mental case if your opinion disagrees with someone else's.

Videos