GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#300GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 10:39am

It’s not so strange. After Eight’s opinions have significantly less to do with quality of material than how well it leaves his weltanschauung intact.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

ebontoyan
#301GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:35am

2010:  Fiyero, Wicked

2011-2013:  Danny de Vito, Jersey Boys (in between he did Drood in 2012-2013)

2015-2016: recurring role in Law and Order:  SVU.  His character was killed off at the season finale

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#302GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:45am

"2011-2013:  Danny de Vito, Jersey Boys"

Karl is talented, but I don't think he could play Danny DeVito convincingly. Good thing he played Tommy DeVito in Jersey Boys.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#303GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:47am

newintown said: "Karl is talented, but I don't think he could play Danny DeVito convincingly. Good thing he played Tommy DeVito in Jersey Boys."

I'm laughing so hard right now.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#304GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 11:49am

Sorry but some of the hate towards MR KARL is so unfair... Sure, he has starred in a few crummy musicals (I know - I've seen 'em all LOL) over the years, but anyone who walks away from GROUNDHOG DAY and can't call him a hard worker needs to see the show again... He works hard for every laugh, every note in that show and sells it like a true star.. It's refreshing to see a star-making performance like that without having to shell out $350 to see a Hollywood name like, say, HUGH JACKMAN (no offense to MR JACKMAN - love him - just an example!!)

Yes, the are more technically difficult and powerful performances out there right now - mainly, BEN PLATT in DEAR EVAN HANSEN - but credit is due where credit is due!!

He's a talent... End rant!! LOL

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

ebontoyan
#305GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 12:02pm

Lol sorry guys yeah I meant Tommy de Vito!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#306GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 2:49pm

The theater was packed last night. Maybe reviewers were there so they comped the house? But it was sold-out last night. 

Also what a great theater. There's not a bad seat in that whole place, and I just really enjoyed that whole space. 

I think this show will pick up steam once the reviews come out. I wouldn't say I had any interest in a musical version of Goundhog Day, but I love the creative team. And I know Warchus is a baller director, so that got me excited. 

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#307GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/29/17 at 2:57pm

Andy Karl was also in an off Broadway show called Slut.  Never heard of him, but I went to see the show as the poster had a naked Karl holding strategically placed Christmas lights.  One of the prized possessions in my window card collection is a signed copy of the card.  

djoko84
#308GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:17am

I saw the show tonight. I thought it was very cute. Andy Karl really did a great job in the role. It doesn't come close to DEH or Come From Away, but it definitely has its moments. I liked that it was very faithful to the movie and very inventive in the way they replayed the day over and over again. The show did have to stop for a technical malfunction at one point, but it didn't affect what I thought about it.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#309GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:25am

See, this is the part that I always feel weird about. Drama vs. Comedy. What deserves to win? Andy Karl is giving a fantastic comedic performance - with some great dramatic moments. But how does that compare to Platt giving a great dramatic performance? hm.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#310GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:25am

Re: the A Karl poster from Slut referenced above, here it is. And it is a work of art.

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

StageStruckLad Profile Photo
StageStruckLad
#311GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 8:39am

Add me to the chorus of people who really enjoyed this show. There was a problem with the turntable last night, which forced them to clear the stage and delay the show for about 10 minutes, but the audience took it in stride. I thought Karl gave a wonderful performance, even better than his turn in "20th Century" last year. And I was amazed that his superb leading lady, Barrett Doss, only had one musical credit in her Playbill bio: a production of "Jamaica" at the Prince Music Theater. The show gets off to a bit of a slow start establishing what a jerk Karl's character is and how much he hates small-town life, but it starts picking up steam quickly after that. There are lots of clever staging tricks, and I thought the score was superior to "Matilda. " I also thought it was one of those rare musicals where the second act is even better than the first.

PJPan
#312GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 12:44pm

I'd never seen a show stop mid-performance before, so that was an experience last night. What helped was that I actually enjoyed the number.

There's a lot to like in GD, but wow does about 25 minutes of that show need to be cut. A lot of the repetition can be tightened, about three numbers can be cut completely (much as I love Minchin) and the ends of both acts could be streamlined and the song placement a bit more natural.

Even with that, Andy Karl and Barrett Doss were a lot of fun to watch, and the town felt "lived-in" with the capable supporting cast they had. If they're able to make some cuts, I can see it being a better show but can't imagine it would have a very long shelf life at the August Wilson.

pupscotch
#313GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:23pm

I just won the lottery for this show, would people recommend the back of the orchestra, mezz, or partial view in the front for this show? Those are my options, and I'd like to have the best possible view.

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 01:23 PM

JustAnotherNewYorker
#314GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:44pm

pupscotch said: "I just won the lottery for this show, would people recommend the back of the orchestra, mess, or partial view in the front for this show? Those are my options, and I'd like to have the best possible view."

It's a high stage, so is avoid front orchestra. Front Mez is the sweet spot I think

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 01:44 PM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#315GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 1:58pm

RippedMan said: "And just on a side note: I loved that their was an interracial relationship at the core of the show, yet it had nothing to do with race, and the fact that a "bigger" girl was involved and not once did she complain about her size, or the fact that a gay character was in the show and not once was he criticized or had to have a "coming out" moment. Really a leap forward for entertainment."

I've not seen the show and so can't comment on the rest of your critique, but this is indeed refreshing.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

smidge
#316GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:03pm

pupscotch said: "I just won the lottery for this show, would people recommend the back of the orchestra, mezz, or partial view in the front for this show? Those are my options, and I'd like to have the best possible view.

I didn't realize there were seating options with the lottery. Do all shows do this with their lottery tickets?

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#317GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:27pm

Jujamcyn has a couple of nice features with its lottery.

You get a list of dates, and you can choose to enter for as many performances as you like.

Then, you get notified around noon the day before if you've won or not. If you've won, you get a code, and you can go to Ticketmaster, put in the code, and see which seats are available to you.

They tend to be scattered around the theater. I think Groundhog Day has the first row available.

Also, lotto losers get a code too. Of course the price is not as good. I don't know how the locations compare either. I'm not sure if you have to pay the TM fee or not.

It's a very civilized way to run a lottery. I entered a couple of times for Groundhog Day and Falsettos.

Jujamcyn is doing the same thing for Amelie.

Updated On: 3/30/17 at 02:27 PM

smidge
#318GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 2:53pm

macnyc said: "Jujamcyn has a couple of nice features with its lottery.

You get a list of dates, and you can choose to enter for as many performances as you like.

Then, you get notified around noon the day before if you've won or not. If you've won, you get a code, and you can go to Ticketmaster, put in the code, and see which seats are available to you.

They tend to be scattered around the theater. I think Groundhog Day has the first row available.

Also, lotto losers get a code too. Of course the price is not as good. I don't know how the locations compare either. I'm not sure if you have to pay the TM fee or not.

It's a very civilized way to run a lottery. I entered a couple of times for Groundhog Day and Falsettos.

Jujamcyn is doing the same thing for Amelie.

Thanks Mac! Jordan Roth sure knows how to run his theaters.

MyLife
#319GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 3:02pm

Lot666 said: "RippedMan said: "And just on a side note: I loved that their was an interracial relationship at the core of the show, yet it had nothing to do with race, and the fact that a "bigger" girl was involved and not once did she complain about her size, or the fact that a gay character was in the show and not once was he criticized or had to have a "coming out" moment. Really a leap forward for entertainment."

I've not seen the show and so can't comment on the rest of your critique, but this is indeed refreshing.

"

Maybe this all happened in the unseen days :)

You know I didn't even think of these things when watching the show but you're totally right. They're just facts of people in the show, not details. It is nice. That said, I still didn't like the show at all.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#320GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 4:44pm

RippedMan said: "
And just on a side note: I loved that their was an interracial relationship at the core of the show, yet it had nothing to do with race, and the fact that a "bigger" girl was involved and not once did she complain about her size, or the fact that a gay character was in the show and not once was he criticized or had to have a "coming out" moment. Really a leap forward for entertainment. "

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Well, there was a joke about coming out

"He's gay, and bets against the Eagles every game"

"Dad, I was going to tell you"

"You bet against the Eagles?"

Jarethan
#321GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 4:56pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Sorry but some of the hate towards MR KARL is so unfair... Sure, he has starred in a few crummy musicals (I know - I've seen 'em all LOL) over the years, but anyone who walks away from GROUNDHOG DAY and can't call him a hard worker needs to see the show again... He works hard for every laugh, every note in that show and sells it like a true star.. It's refreshing to see a star-making performance like that without having to shell out $350 to see a Hollywood name like, say, HUGH JACKMAN (no offense to MR JACKMAN - love him - just an example!!)

Yes, the are more technically difficult and powerful performances out there right now - mainly, BEN PLATT in DEAR EVAN HANSEN - but credit is due where credit is due!!

He's a talent... End rant!! LOL

He is talented, but some of the posters here are obsessed with him...you would think he was the second coming.  People have previously bitched that they can't believe that he  doesn't have a Tony award, when his portfolio is pretty limited and he hasn't actually been in a good show yet, other than 20th Century, in which he did a very good job, but paled next to Kevin Kline's performance.  He is a solid talent who people are trying to say is so much more.  Maybe I will agree when I see him in a show that provides the opportunity to be great and he is great in it.  I certainly don't think Legally Blonde, Rocky, or this meet the bill.  Can't remember what else he's been in that made an impression.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#322GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 4:57pm

The gay character also dances with the deputy at the party.  Don't know how long it lasted, but did notice it.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#323GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/30/17 at 5:09pm

Andy Karl for me is the James Naughton of the last few seasons.  But James had better shows .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

djoko84
#324GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 3/31/17 at 3:15pm

pupscotch said: "I just won the lottery for this show, would people recommend the back of the orchestra, mezz, or partial view in the front for this show? Those are my options, and I'd like to have the best possible view.

"

I sat in the back of the orchestra when I went. It was a totally fine view.

Videos