pixeltracker

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions- Page 14

Way too early 2016 Tony predictions

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#325Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:37pm

You can read about my thoughts on Best Revival of a Musical right here...
http://karereviews.weebly.com/70th-tony-award-predictions-part-2.html

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#326Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:45pm

pupscotch said: "I hope Spring Awakening gets a Best Revival nomination, having seen both, I'd put it in over Fiddler, personally. However, to those saying they didn't recoup their investment, wasn't the show a non-profit? I don't know much about how it works to recoup with a non-profit, would anyone care to explain? "

While non-profit shows don't recoup in any kind of traditional sense, Spring Awakening was just a limited run, but otherwise a commercial production. I don't think it's a given that the show will be nominated, given that it will have been closed for about six months by June, but even if it is, I wouldn't hold my breath for a performance. I know that the show has technically announced a tour, but lots of shows do that and never follow through. And as has been stated, Tony performances cost a considerable amount of money, so while I'm sure the producers would like to showcase the show, they can't do it if the money isn't there. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ChiTheaterFan
#327Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:49pm

JudyDenmark said: "ChiTheaterFan said: "The Room Where it Happens would be great but it's really just Burr singing."

You think? It's such a production number, to me. Big ensemble dance piece, many of the leads represented in some way, great build, exciting theme... that'd be my choice, anyway. I don't want them to do a medley.

I assume Fiddler will do Tradition, though To Life was easily my favorite in the show.

She Loves Me is tough - I think they'll have to do a medley. 

I'd like to see Waitress do She Used to Be Mine as a duet with Jessie Mueller & Sara Bareilles. Add some harmonies. :)

And for sure, I hope Color Purple does the finale version of the title song.

"

I can't believe I forgot fiddler. Yes To Life would be awesome. That's my favorite as well. 

I'd really enjoy the Room Where It Happens--don't get me wrong!  And you're right it's a big ensemble piece overall. My statement was a little misleading. I meant most of the SOLO SINGING is done by Burr but certainly the ensemble is featured in the chorus and the dancing. Hamilton, Lafayette, and Madison have very small parts in the song but not really in the big show stopping pet. So yeah my statement was kind of inaccurate/unclear. I just meant I imagine them doing a song where more of the leads are singing/rapping more equally. Of course if Odom ends up with a lot of Tony buzz it might be a great way to showcase him. 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#328Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 3:49pm

One of those times I wish I was rich. Sigh. I'd bankroll that Spring Awakening performance in a hot second! The world needs to see that beautiful production. 

Updated On: 4/15/16 at 03:49 PM

cuz-i-can
#329Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 4:04pm

JudyDenmark said: "I can see them doing the title song only because they widely released it as their promo song before the show came out (in the US). I've always thought they'd do that version at the Tonys to show off J-Hud and Cynthia equally, though now that J-Hud is leaving, who knows. I still love it, though. The vocal arranging is so stunning, particularly in the ensemble. 

"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Sara Ramirez had already left the production of Spamalot when she performed "Find your Grail" at the awards and won for featured actress in a musical that night. I'm sure that if Jennifer is nominated that they will bring her back for the Tony Performance. I would love for the Color Purple to do a Porgy and Bess like medley performance, where it showcased the nominees (norm, audra, and david allen grier). Cynthia, Jennifer, and Danielle are big enough names for them to perform a portion of their big numbers in a medley performance. And just like Oprah introduced them with her famous Sofia line for the obc, I hope Whoopi introduces Cynthia with the famous "I'm here" line.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#330Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 4:08pm

According to IBDB, Sara Ramirez didn't leave until December...
http://www.ibdb.com/Person/View/57020

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#331Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 4:08pm

I'd be down with that! Actually, if I remember correctly... in the finale of the show, isn't it Cynthia, J-Hud, Danielle, and Joaquina Kalukango standing downstage and sharing a lot of those lead vocals, with the rest of the cast and the ensemble behind them? You're right that they would probably want to show off Danielle since she's well known from OITNB. (Not to mention that she was fabulous as Sofia, so it's not just about putting the TV star up front for name's sake.)

Broadwaystar2
#332Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 7:13pm

JudyDenmark said: "I'd be down with that! Actually, if I remember correctly... in the finale of the show, isn't it Cynthia, J-Hud, Danielle, and Joaquina Kalukango standing downstage and sharing a lot of those lead vocals, with the rest of the cast and the ensemble behind them? You're right that they would probably want to show off Danielle since she's well known from OITNB. (Not to mention that she was fabulous as Sofia, so it's not just about putting the TV star up front for name's sake.)

"

The only one singing lead vocals in the finale is Cynthia.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#333Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 8:29pm

Yes, Cynthia Erivo is the one singing the lead vocals in the finale. Jennifer Hudson, Danielle Brooks, and Joaquina Kalukango still act the hell out of that number. It's such a beautiful moment in the show. I've said this in another thread, but I was pretty much a crying mess from the middle of "I'm Here" through a good 10 minutes after leaving the theatre. I'd love for them to do the finale, even listening to it on the cast recording I feel quite emotional. I thought Hudson would stay with the show past the Tonys, so I figured they would perform "What About Love?" to showcase both Erivo and Hudson, but now that that's out of the question, I agree they will likely do a truncated version of "I'm Here" (similar to the shorter version of "Lot's Wife" Tonya Pinkins performed the year CAROLINE, OR CHANGE was up for the award) and lead into the finale. I actually would love it if they did the opening number because it's brilliantly staged though I imagine other numbers are better for marketing the show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#334Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 9:36pm

I wonder what you all think about the best performance by lead actor in a play.  Mark Strong was favored to win but then again, will voters still remember him and Tim Pigott-Smith who equally gave a powerful performance in King Charles III?  Ben Winshaw might bring home the Tony since I don't think they will give it to Frank Langella with the Father getting mixed reviews and him having won it three times already.  And Jeff Daniels, while good, did not get the raves that Ben Winshaw got.  The Humans is too much as ensemble piece for me to consider Reed Birney for a nomination although he's a definite dark horse.  I haven't seen Ben or Frank yet so I wonder who you guys think will win?  As for nominations I'm guessing:

Mark Strong - A View from the Bridge

Ben Winshaw - The Crucible

Tim Pigott-Smith - King Charles III

Frank Langella - The Father

Jeff Daniels - Blackbird

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#335Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 9:37pm

The Color Purple has to do "I'm Here." It slays and solidifies why Erivo should be a star.

i was never a huge fan of the show in it's original production. I feel what we're seeing now is how the show was meant to be.  Revival will be a tough battle between TCP and She Loves Me, but despite how fantastic Laura Benanti was, TCP will prevail in best actress in a musical with Erivo. That's what my gut says.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#336Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 10:25pm

Markie27 said: "I wonder what you all think about the best performance by lead actor in a play.  Mark Strong was favored to win but then again, will voters still remember him and Tim Pigott-Smith who equally gave a powerful performance in King Charles III?  Ben Winshaw might bring home the Tony since I don't think they will give it to Frank Langella with the Father getting mixed reviews and him having won it three times already.  And Jeff Daniels, while good, did not get the raves that Ben Winshaw got.  The Humans is too much as ensemble piece for me to consider Reed Birney for a nomination although he's a definite dark horse.  I haven't seen Ben or Frank yet so I wonder who you guys think will win?  As for nominations I'm guessing:

Mark Strong - A View from the Bridge

Ben Winshaw - The Crucible

Tim Pigott-Smith - King Charles III

Frank Langella - The Father

Jeff Daniels - Blackbird
"

Don't forget Gabriel Byrne. I think it now seems that Reed Birney will more likely be eligible as a Featured Actor.

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#337Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 10:54pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Don't forget Gabriel Byrne. I think it now seems that Reed Birney will more likely be eligible as a Featured Actor."

Oh yeah you're right. I'm rooting for Ms. Lange to win but I completely forgot about the rest of the male cast.  Haven't watched it though, too.  Very excited about that play.  This will be a very interesting Tony night where all acting awards are up for grabs!  I thought Cynthia was a lock but Jessie and Laura got stellar reviews as well.  Then we have Hamilton leading men vs. Burstein, Rene vs. The Color Purple ladies, and all three Hamilton guys duking it out for featured (I hope Groff wins!).  For plays we have Jessica vs Lupita, Ben vs. Mark, and I have absolutely no idea for the featured roles. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#338Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 11:11pm

I think Featured Actress in a Play is already looking pretty interesting. Between the women of Eclipsed, Noises Off (Megan Hilty in particular), The Humans, and The Crucible, I think this could be a really tough race.

I feel like Featured ACTOR in the play is a bit of a toss-up. I haven't seen Long Day's Journey yet (and I've been avoiding the threads about it, to go in without any prior impressions), but I know all the roles are very meaty. I wouldn't be surprised to see John Gallagher Jr nominated (again, just going off of the role itself, not him). I'd also like to see nominations go to Oliver Chris (King Charles III), Russell Tovey (A View From the Bridge), Bill Camp (The Crucible).

I also wonder if any of the Noises Off men will get in. They all did a good job, but to me, none of them really stuck out as an obvious Tony contender. 

Updated On: 4/15/16 at 11:11 PM

pupscotch
#339Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 11:16pm

If I was going to nominate a Featured Actor from King Charles III, I'd put Richard Goulding in instead of Oliver Chris, personally. I hope Lydia Wilson is nominated, she was fantastic! 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#340Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 11:18pm

pupscotch said: "If I was going to nominate a Featured Actor from King Charles III, I'd put Richard Goulding in instead of Oliver Chris, personally. I hope Lydia Wilson is nominated, she was fantastic! "

I liked Richard Goulding a lot too. I'd love to see them both nominated. But Oliver Chris' performance, particularly in the final act, really floored me in a way that Goulding didn't. 

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#341Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/15/16 at 11:33pm

Best Actor In A Play - Mark Strong

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#342Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/16/16 at 3:10pm

JBroadway said: "pupscotch said: "If I was going to nominate a Featured Actor from King Charles III, I'd put Richard Goulding in instead of Oliver Chris, personally. I hope Lydia Wilson is nominated, she was fantastic! "

I liked Richard Goulding a lot too. I'd love to see them both nominated. But Oliver Chris' performance, particularly in the final act, really floored me in a way that Goulding didn't. 

Agreed.

"

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

BroadwayNYC25 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC25
#343Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/16/16 at 3:17pm

okay as the color purple fanatic, i'm going to state some things

10 years ago at the 2006 tony awards, Oprah announce the color purple cast singing hell no and a few bars from the color purple reprise

2 years later, fantasia preformed I'm Here at the 2008 tony awards

my dream for this year would be that: whoopi announces cynthia preforming I'm Here and the rest of the cast joins in to sing a few bars from the color purple reprise. Or heather and cynthia sing what about love 

ChiTheaterFan
#344Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/16/16 at 3:29pm

JBroadway said: "I think Featured Actress in a Play is already looking pretty interesting. Between the women of Eclipsed, Noises Off (Megan Hilty in particular), The Humans, and The Crucible, I think this could be a really tough race.

"

I haven't seen the Humans or the Crucible yet, but I really hope Zainab Jah gets a nomination for Eclipsed. She hasn't been getting a lot of the attention in reviews and such but I thought her performance was extremely powerful in and uncomfortable and difficult role. All the women deal with the victimization differently, and she deals with hers by 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Becoming the victimizer. I think she's not an evil person but it's how she's coping with what she's been put through. I think that's difficult to portray. 

She really stood out to me and as soon as the curtain call ended I heard the man in front of me say "Lupita was great but I thought wife #2 stole the show."

After seeing Noises Off I thought Hilty was very likely to get a Tony but I think this is a really competitive category this year!  (Are there any acting categories that aren't?  I can't think of a single one where I feel like it's a foregone conclusion.)

#345Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/16/16 at 5:01pm

Cynthia Erivo! 

Jeffrey Karasarides
#346Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/16/16 at 6:35pm

10 years ago at the 2006 tony awards, Oprah announce the color purple cast singing hell no and a few bars from the color purple reprise

2 years later, Fantasia preformed I'm Here at the 2008 tony awards

Fantasia actually performed I'm Here at the 2007 Tony Awards, not 2008.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#347Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/16/16 at 8:14pm

My ideas for Best Musical:

AMERICAN PSYCHO

HAMILTON

WAITRESS

Wildcard: SHUFFLE ALONG, SCHOOL OF ROCK

The Other One
#348Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/17/16 at 8:26am

rjm516 said: "Oh man I forgot JHud. In a supporting role that makes it somewhat easier for her to maybe win a Tony, and then she would then have 3/4 for an EGOT, which would be CRAZY considering how bad an actress she is. "

She is mediocre and she is not going to win a Tony.  

Markie27 Profile Photo
Markie27
#349Way too early 2016 Tony predictions
Posted: 4/17/16 at 9:23am

The Other One said: "rjm516 said: "Oh man I forgot JHud. In a supporting role that makes it somewhat easier for her to maybe win a Tony, and then she would then have 3/4 for an EGOT, which would be CRAZY considering how bad an actress she is. "

She is mediocre and she is not going to win a Tony.  
"

I love JHud and I was rooting for her and glad that she won the Oscar for Dreamgirls.  But I do have to agree if she is not singing she is a mediocre actress at best.  I really hope Rene would win.  Even Danielle deserves it more than JHud.  I wasn't impressed with her performance at all.

Videos