RENT Live on Fox

wolfwriter
#325RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:03pm

Bad idea to bring out the original cast & really drive it home, just how bad the previous 3 hours were.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#326RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:04pm

sppunk said: "Who knew breaking your foot makes you a better singer?"

It doesn't.  Again, the first two hours and forty five minutes were from last night.  People don't usually give their all in dress rehearsal. He's a great singer if you've ever heard his stuff, and obviously he gave everything he had in the few minutes it was actually live.  

Updated On: 1/27/19 at 11:04 PM

barcelona20
#327RENT Live on Fox

I wish the producers could explain their decision making not to go live for the whole show.  Seems like it would have been simple enough for someone to push Roger in a wheelchair if needed. Or at least performed the non-Roger songs live. 

RWPrincess
#328RENT Live on Fox

I hope that the cast recording includes a version of Seasons of Love with the OBC

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#329RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:05pm

220Basswood said: "sppunk said: "Idina in her 30 seconds made everyone else from the previous two and hand hours sound inconsequential."

The actress from the Greatest Showman did a good job but I agree Idina and seeing the original cast sing made the night.
"

Keala is amazing ! 

Dollypop
#330RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:10pm

I never saw RENT on Bwy because I love Puccini's LA BOHEME almost as much as I live HELLO, DOLLY! I felt I could never be fair to a rock version of the story.

I watched this tonight.

Ugh!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#331RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:11pm

Well they say with live theater anything can happen. Something did in this unique case. Those there got to see something special (however I noticed Fox was filming in some of those twitter clips). We at least got to see the production and a great live ending.

Likes, complaints, otherwise, we were in front of our tv's.

Because we love the theatre. 

Just give the world Love.

nmlhats
#332RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:12pm

Dollypop said: "I never saw RENT on Bwy because I love Puccini's LA BOHEME almost as much as I live HELLO, DOLLY! I felt I could never be fair to a rock version of the story.

I watched this tonight.

Ugh!
"

IKR? Mimi needs to die. So wrong.

barcelona20
#333RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:15pm

Tonight's show can be summarized as follows.

Rent Not-Live was mostly disappointing other than BVD and Vanessa.

Rent Live was amazing.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#334RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:16pm

Watch Rent: Live on Broadway for the real thing.  This shouldn't be anyone's first or last experience with this show. Yikes.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#335RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:16pm

LuPita2 said: "The last 15 minutes were the only thing that mattered. Wonderful performances and such a thrill to see the Original Cast. We finally saw Rent Live, if only for a short period of time."

Right on!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

sppunk
#336RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:17pm

LuPita2 said: "sppunk said: "Who knew breaking your foot makes you a better singer?"

It doesn't. Again, the first two hours and forty fiveminutes were from last night. People don't usually give their all in dress rehearsal. He's a great singer if you've ever heard his stuff, and obviously he gave everything he had in the few minutes it was actually live.
"

I know. I was joking.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#337RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:20pm

barcelona20 said: "I wish the producers could explain their decision making not to go live for the whole show. Seems like it would have been simple enough for someone to push Roger in a wheelchair if needed. Or at least performed the non-Roger songs live."

I think there are a lot of technical things that happen and it was probably not possible to jump between live and recorded on such short notice. They were evidently having sound problems throughout. The commercial breaks had sound problems and the FOX logo sitting there before going back to the show after commercials. I hope they come out and tell us just how they pulled it off.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#338RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:27pm

Well know that THAT'S over I guess we have the heavily censored and edited fiasco that will be HAIR LIVE! to look forward to in the spring on NBC. 

Let the crap-fest of live tv musicals continue.....

bwayobsessed
#339RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:27pm

So after an annoying start (including FOX not working and me missing Tune Up 1 and most of Rent, I left enjoying it. Angel was awful through and through which definitely hurt the first half between You Okay Honey and Today 4 U being brought waaaay down. I thought Mimi was very good and got better throughout the show. Will I was the first moment where I actually got sucked in, it was truly beautiful. The set was stunning but I think the camera work would have vastly improved if they had a second go. Vanessa came on and clearly wasn't holding back which was exciting. La Vie Boheme lacked something, I feel like they could have used the rest of their massive ensemble to make it more joyous. BVD obviously stole the show with I'll Cover You (reprise). Jordan took a moment to get used to but by Halloween he had me sold. What You Own had the energy I would have loved in La Vie Boheme, it was just fun and engaged the audience as this concert concept should. Joanne I didn't like, Benny was fine. The ending was super powerful and I enjoyed those emotions. 

nmlhats
#340RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:35pm

I actually burst into tears at "Seasons of Love" (during the show, not as much for the ending)....not because it was so great or so awful but because my oldest friend's 21 yr old daughter basically dropped dead two weeks ago....she was about to graduate a year early as a music theater major and the church choir sang that "Seasons of Love" at her funeral (as well as the Marc Shaiman arrangement of "Hail Holy Queen" from "Sister Act" which made us smile for two minutes). I am not sure I can ever hear "Seasons of Love" again without crying.

Updated On: 1/27/19 at 11:35 PM

bryan32
#341RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:35pm

it was amazing great show

jimmycurry01
#342RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:40pm

I'm going to say this was mostly OK. It's unfortunate that we did not get a live performance with the energy running at full blast. It could have been better, but it certainly could have been worse - it could have been Peter Pan.

Most of the performances were solid. Valentina shouldn't sing, but Angel's death still rocked. While I maintain that this is a great a way for shows to reach audiences that could never afford to go to Broadway or a national tour, I will definitely recommend that those who saw it also watch Rent Filmed Live on Broadway.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#343RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:40pm

And hey, for those of us who have never gotten to attend a dress rehearsal, we did tonight. From the comfort of our homes!

BroadwayNoob
#344RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:44pm

The situation was unfortunate tonight, but aside from Angel and the ANNOYING crowd, I thought everyone put on a great performance.

I know a decent amount of the lyrics so I caught on to a few changes, but what were some of the changes they did for censorship?

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#345RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:45pm

It improved greatly over the course of the night. I felt like the turning point was Vanessa. It was like everyone and everything before she arrived on the stage was just giving 60-70% depending on the performer. Then here comes Vanessa giving a 110% rehearsal performance and everyone else was like "**** we gotta get on her level" and things improved greatly in the second half. It was like she brought the energy with her. I found myself really liking Fisher's performance by the end. He was a much more likable and sincere Mark then I am use to but I ended up liking it. The added narrations helped a bit more with the passing of time from a story telling point of view. I was not as pleased with BVD as everyone else. Emotionally great but something about pretty much rewriting the notes and for his higher voice turned me off to his Collins. I like the deep, bass, notes. 

I don't understand some of their editing choices. I mean they cut out or altered words left and right that really weren't that bad. Things like cutting short Mark's Mom in Tune Up 1 so she didn't say the word "lesbian" or Maureen not begging to be Joanne's "slave" AND YET they left the ENTIRETY of CONTACT in? I.... I don't get it.

jimmycurry01
#346RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:52pm

Scarlet Leigh said: "It improved greatly over the course of the night. I felt like the turning point was Vanessa. It was like everyone and everything before she arrived on the stage was just giving 60-70% depending on the performer. Then here comes Vanessa giving a 110% rehearsal performance and everyone else was like "**** we gotta get on her level" and things improved greatly in the second half. It was like she brought the energy with her. I found myself really liking Fisher's performance by the end. He was a much more likable and sincere Mark then I am use to but I ended up liking it. The added narrations helped a bit more with the passing of time from a story telling point of view. I was not as pleased with BVD as everyone else. Emotionally great but something about pretty much rewriting the notes and for his higher voice turned me off to his Collins. I like the deep, bass, notes.

I don't understand some of their editing choices. I mean they cut out or altered words left and right that really weren't that bad. Things like cutting short Mark's Mom in Tune Up 1 so she didn't say the word "lesbian" or Maureen not begging to be Joanne's "slave" AND YET they left the ENTIRETY of CONTACT in? I.... I don't get it.
"

That might have to do with Contact being later in the evening. The rules change once prime time is officially over. Although, I'm not sure how that works for folks on Mountain time.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#347RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/27/19 at 11:58pm

"This has to be the absolute worst La Vie Boheme I have ever witnessed in my life! The lyrics changes, the low wattage delivery - total disgrace."

I agree, I was stunned by how bad it was and it seemed so flat.

CallMeAl2 Profile Photo
CallMeAl2
#348RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/28/19 at 12:01am

barcelona20 said: "I wish the producers could explain their decision making not to go live for the whole show. Seems like it would have been simple enough for someone to push Roger in a wheelchair if needed. Or at least performed the non-Roger songs live."

Did you see that set? Up and down stairs and ladder ceilings around the environmental playing space - no way could that be done in a wheelchair, or even crutches. From the look of that cast he was wearing that is a very serious injury.Unless they decided to re-stage this as a concert version, he was out.  

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#349RENT Live on Fox
Posted: 1/28/19 at 12:02am

Didn't they cut the end of HOW DID WE GET HERE? Also? That shouting exchange between the two of them?

I really enjoyed Hudgens in GIGI on Broadway. In a not so good show she just seemed to be having a ball. Tonight (well last night!) She stepped it up. She rocked in Take Me For What I Am.

The actor who played Mimi, in my opinion, nailed it acting wise but vocally was not up to par.

With that said, it was the dress rehearsal and I am thinking this cast may have been on fire l tonight. For the most part.

Videos