pixeltracker

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)- Page 14

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Owen22
#325The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:35pm

buffalospeedway said: "A lot of people seem to think that Best Actress in a Play is going to be a Comer/Chastain smackdown,

No. There is no smackdown. Comer gives the performance of a lifetime and I'm pretty sure every voter will know that. It is only Comer.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#326The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:38pm

Nominators are invited to see shows on press nights. If they're busy, they can attend at any other time from press nights onwards, but many of them attend as early as possible. Being a nominator is a much higher honor than being a voter (since there are so few), so they take it quite seriously –– though of course these are all working theatre practitioners so stuff is gonna come up. The size of the nominating committee takes into account that there will probably be 5-10 nominators who must recuse themselves every year.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#327The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:41pm

poisonivy2 said: "I am surprised at the nod for Ruthie Ann Miles in Sweeney. I liked the revival a bunch but did not feel as if Miles made a strong impression."

Interesting.  She is the only performer that really stood out to me from that show as really connecting with every word and moment the show gave her.  Most of the rest of the cast made me miss other performances I've seen.

Musigamist
#328The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:43pm

An interesting coverage observation is the "Take-Aways and Trends" article over on Playbill opens with "Some Like It Hot is the season's most nominated production with 13 nominations—four more than runner-up & Juliet's nine."

Which, to me at least, seems interesting that it glosses over the fact that NY, NY and Shucked also received 9 Noms—it's not like the listed two were head and shoulders above the rest.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#329The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:44pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "PianoMann said: "The nominators are obligated to see every eligible production in a given season or else recuse themselves from voting at all. This is spelled out in Section 5.a.ii of the Rules and Regulations. So it isn't surprising that they all got to see, for example, Ain't No Mo' or The Sign in Sidney Brustein's Window. There were 40 nominators this year, winnowed down from a longer list as people had to recuse themselves. The entire list is on the Tony site and Gold Derby."

I was not aware the nominating committee had to recuse themselves entirely if they were unable to see a show - I thought they could simply choose to recuse themselves in particular categories. But I guess that is only for the voters for the actual winners.
"

Yes, you're right, they are more flexible with the larger voting body where they are allowed to recuse category by category if they missed a particularly performer or didn't see a production. This season, they're also allowed to vote in a category even if they missed one of the nominees. I don't particularly care for this change this season, but I understand the logic.

I do really appreciate that the nominators must see every single production, though. Personal preferences are so subjective, of course, but it is nice to at least have this baseline where you know that those who picked the nominees at least gave every show, performer, etc. equal consideration.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#330The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:47pm

blaxx said: "Sound is tricky, as most nominators are not qualified to understand what makes a good sound design."

Yes, this too. It's interesting to see the area of the industry/occupation of each of the nominators as listed on the Tony site. They had one sound designer this year, John Kilgore. I'd love to see his ballot!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#331The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:49pm

blaxx said: "Sound is tricky, as most nominators are not qualified to understand what makes a good sound design."

I suggest most people here don't really know either. (MYSELF INCLUDED)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#332The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 2:53pm

I would also suggest that nominators probably see the show from prime orchestra seats and not the mezz, where it seemed most of the complaints came from. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#333The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 3:05pm

PianoMann said: "blaxx said: "Sound is tricky, as most nominators are not qualified to understand what makes a good sound design."

Yes, this too. It's interesting to see the area of the industry/occupation of each of the nominators as listed on the Tony site. They had one sound designer this year, John Kilgore. I'd love to see his ballot!
"

Sound is tricky as I think where you sit matters. Sound in the rear mezz may be different from premium center orchestra.

yyys
#334The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 3:09pm

Well I guess they were hoping for nominations but also make money cause the BAM shows were completely sold out.

Call_me_jorge said: "Surprised Oscar and Rachel fromThe Sign in Sidney Brustein’s Windowdidn’t make the cut. They’ll survive, but wasn’t the reason the show transferred largely because of their performances?"

yyys
#335The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 3:18pm

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 03:18 PM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#336The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 3:22pm

Some scattered thoughts:

Phillipa Soo really got burned here. She’s making the CAMELOT revival work as much as it’s going to, and for my money she was the best performance in INTO THE WOODS.

Thrilled to see Betsy Wolfe nominated after what she went through with FROZEN & CAROUSEL.

While Comer certainly can still win this easily, I think the strong showing for A DOLL’S HOUSE proves that race is absolutely still neck and neck. Comer seems to have what is the “better” performance, but it feels like Chastain had an incredible amount of industry love behind her. Definitely the most exciting race of the night!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#337The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 3:29pm

Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't overly enamored by any of the new musicals this season besides Kimberly Akimbo.

This being said: I hope Bill Sherman wins for & Juliet, Alex Newell takes one for team Shucked, and Casey Nicholaw finally brings home his first Choreography Tony for Some Like It Hot.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 5/2/23 at 03:29 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#338The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 3:49pm

I think memories are such that people remember that incident but not who did it.

Everyone remembers her name. Sara Porkalob is a name you do not forget and she was mentioned in every single article about the show/controversy. 

BoringBoredBoard40
#339The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:43pm

Wonder if any of this really matters if the WGA strike ends up causing the event to be cancelled 

yyys
#340The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:52pm

I thought the only actor who stood out at FAT HAM was Nikki Crawford. 

InTheBathroom1 said: "Sad Marcel Spears didn’t get in for Fat Ham :/"

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#341The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 4:58pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Wonder if any of this really matters if the WGA strike ends up causing the event to be cancelled"

They won't be canceled. If the strike continues through then, they will most likely have the awards, just not broadcast on TV. That or they will be postponed until the strike is over. I am leaning towards the first scenario over the other.

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#342The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:13pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "and Casey Nicholaw finally brings home his first Choreography Tony for Some Like It Hot."

Wait, WHAT? How does he not have a choreo Tony?! He 100% deserves it for this - for that second act chase scene showstopper alone, never mind the rest of the show.

Unrelated, loved Micaela Diamond's instagram post today showing her live reaction. So happy for her. There was never any doubt she'd get nominated, but she's absolutely killing it as Lucille, so well deserved.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#343The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:27pm

JudyDenmark said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "and Casey Nicholaw finally brings home his first Choreography Tony forSome Like It Hot."

Wait, WHAT? How does he not have a choreo Tony?! He 100% deserves it for this - for that second act chase scene showstopper alone, never mind the rest of the show.
"

Yep - Nicholaw’s only Tony win is for Direction of a Musical, which he shared in 2011 with Trey Parker and Matt Stone for The Book of Mormon

Oh look, a bibu!

BoringBoredBoard40
#344The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:28pm

Dylan Smith4 said: "BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Wonder if any of this really matters if the WGA strike ends up causing the event to be cancelled"

They won't be canceled. If the strike continues through then, they will most likely have the awards, just not broadcast on TV. That or they will be postponed until the strike is over. I am leaning towards the first scenario over the other.
"

More so meant how much does it not being broadcast cause shows not to get sales bumps etc

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#345The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:43pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "This being said: I hope Bill Sherman wins for& Juliet, Alex Newell takes one for teamShucked, and Casey Nicholaw finally brings home his first Choreography Tony forSome Like It Hot."

I think it's Casey's to lose right now. That chase scene is the thing most people remember from that show.

ElephantLoveMedley
#346The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 5:54pm

Count me in the camp of being surprised Nicholaw even got nominated for Choreography, let alone hoping that he wins. I thought his work in Hot was overblown and excessive, and while the chase scene was indeed the best part of the show, I thought it felt weirdly cramped and technical.

I think Choreography is easily Jennifer Weber's to lose for her brilliant work on & Juliet. That show is choreographed to the nines and never feels exhausting. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#347The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 6:13pm

I’m in the Weber camp, but for KPOP.

THAT was some innovative, intricate, technical, and highly skillful movement.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#348The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 6:32pm

First casualty... DANCIN' is closing May 14.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Lynsey1122
#349The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 7:15pm

Sad to see Alex Joseph Grayson not being nominated for Parade.  He was electrifying.

Videos