pixeltracker

"Honeymoon in Vegas" Preview Thread- Page 15

"Honeymoon in Vegas" Preview Thread

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#350Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/10/15 at 11:39pm

Saw the show tonight with a sold-out crowd. (Or at least close-to sold-out)

The audience was eating it up. At least everyone around me seemed to chuckle or laugh a few times and the orchestra got thunderous applause. The show is def. not without its flaws, but it's an enjoyable time.

There are two major problems I found: The show feels/looks like a regional show. The three main leads were all fine, even great in some cases, but their vocals were just lackluster or unexciting. I couldn't help but wonder what someone like Norbert Leo Butz and Sherie Rene Scott would have done with those roles back in the day. Rob was the best of the 3, but his vocals left me a little underwhelmed, I felt like the orchestra drowned him out most of the time.

The second problem is Tony Danza. By all means he's not horrible, but he sings a lot of ballads and his vocals are....tricky. He's shaky and you can feel the strain in his voice. I wish they had cast someone like Brian Stokes Mitchell. This suave guy with a silky voice. And his tap moment felt totally superfluous.

The score is pretty consistent. I really liked Jack/Betsy's songs the best. I think the first 20mins of the show are just really, really great. The opening song is pure Jason Robert Brown Last 5 Years. It's great. The mother's song is hilarious and Nancy Opel kills it. It's funny, surprising, entertaining. It's great. I can she'd choose this over On the Town. She stands out for sure. And then Betsy's song is pretty great. I just with her vocals had been up to par.

End the end it's not a bad show. I just can see why it's having a hard time catching on. The physical production looks kind of cheap. The direction is fine if a little underwhelming. The score is great but feels a little padded. Do we need a 5 min. singing elvis song?

I wish the show had been re-cast for Broadway. It could really use some vocal powerhouses in there or something.

rjm516
#351Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/11/15 at 12:33am

I saw the matinee and agree with most of what you said, though I thought Rob was totally winning and adorable. They need to cut some of Tony's ballads! The worst thing though? I forgot how uncomfortable the Nederlander mezz is. Oh my gosh! I am hella short and my legs were in such pain.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#352Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/11/15 at 1:39am

I totally agree about Rob. I thought he was really winning. I just wanted him to be stronger vocally, but all together I thought he gave a really great performance. He had the audience with him at every step, which is why I think more of the show should have been given to him instead of Tony's character. I'm not even sure why that character had so many musical moments? I mean the real conflict is between Rob and Bryn. Why aren't they the ones singing?

And I'm 6'2" and I didn't really have any problems in the mezz! But I was on the aisle, so can't complain! Thanks rush lol.

paphillyguy
#353Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/12/15 at 8:43am

I too saw the Sat night show. I found the show to be good not great but better then I expected. The 3 other people I was with all loved it. We heard many people as we were leaving say how they liked it as well. I did not see the strain from Tony Danza and we all were impressed how at 63 he is so good.

It was good but I don't really have the need to see it again.

Now to my two biggest complains. The first was the theater was an oven way to hot. The second is in my mind unacceptable. The first row of the mezz should be definitely sold as obstructed view. I am 6 ft and the way the bar on the front of the mezz is, there is no way to comfortably see the front of the stage with out leaning forward. Since they extended the stage and a lot of the show is played at the front it is extremely hard to see. I did say something to the house manager at intermission but it was sold out and no seats were available. She did say it is an know issue. They why not mark the seats as obstructed view.

However, it was still a nice night at the theater.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#354Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/12/15 at 3:52pm

paphillyguy - I second that about the front row of the Mezz. Totally obstructed view. I sat there last Friday night, and everything downstage was obstructed, and unfortunately, a great deal of the show is - downstage. The rail blocked my view so I had to lean way forward (blocking the rows behind me, I'm sure) or try to sink low in my seat to look under the rail. Even removing the rail would only partially fix the problem, as the extended stage comes out into the audience too far. I don't know how much of the Mezz is affected, but definitely steer clear of row AA!

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#355Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/12/15 at 3:53pm

ehh

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

JoseLee_ Profile Photo
JoseLee_
#356Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/12/15 at 4:17pm

I hope it closes. I hate Jason Robert Brown.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#357Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 8:57am

Thanks to those who made comments about the obstructed view from first row mezzanine. That's almost always my favorite place to sit, but I've never sat there at the Nederlander. Fortunately for this show this weekend I was able to get J 1 and 3 in the orchestra, where at least I should be able to stick my feet into the aisle if necessary and not be too obstructed by heads in front of us.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#358Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 12:48pm

"I hope it closes. I hate Jason Robert Brown."

How mature of you.

eperkins Profile Photo
eperkins
#359Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 1:12pm

Just a note that the Nederlander front row Mezz should be fine for other productions. The problem is with Honeymoon In Vegas specifically. Probably to accommodate the orchestra, the set designer saw fit to build the stage out a good 10 feet in front of the proscenium. It's all that area (where most of the action takes place) that is blocked by the wall and rail of the mezz. Removing the rail would be a big help, but wouldn't solve the problem entirely. Sitting further back in the mezz might be okay, but I would say to go for orchestra seats.

If the show runs, they need to either remove that rail or mark the seats as obstructed.

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#360Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 1:14pm

JoseLee

I'm sure that's based on a performance you attended of this particular show.

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

neonlightsxo
#361Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 1:23pm

Jose posted a similar comment about the current production of Into the Woods he hasn't seen, so he's quickly rising to the top of maturity among BWW posters.

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#362Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 1:29pm

Saw the show on Saturday night. A pleasant evening, didn't love it, didn't hate it, happy when it was over. I thought Rob was terrific and the highlight of the evening. Danza I thought was playing Danza (until the end when his true colors come out). As for "Betsy", I thought she was good, had a pleasant singing voice, but thought she looked awful. She is such an attractive woman, especially in the ad photos for the show, but thought her heavy makeup and blonde wig were awful. Could've been two different women.

As for JRB, he was wandering around the theatre (orchestra and mezz) at intermission and went down to the front row to listen to the orchestra play out. He did this at the last show of Bridges as well. He looked awful - like he hasn't slept in weeks. But he was very friendly, stopped to take pictures and talk to everyone.

Oh, and Marsha Mason was at Saturday's show.

Updated On: 1/14/15 at 01:29 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#363Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 5:08pm

Probably to accommodate the orchestra, the set designer saw fit to build the stage out a good 10 feet in front of the proscenium.

---
eliminating 3 rows of seating in the orchestra AA, BB and A as first row is now B

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#364Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 5:35pm

I sat in the first row of the mezzanine for this show a couple of weeks ago, and the railing didn't really bother me (and I tend to get annoyed by stuff like that). Yes, it was in the way occasionally, but I was able to look over it (and under it, on one occasion) fairly easily. (I'm of average height, five foot six.)

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#365Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 6:56pm

See I think the lady in the show has some great songs, but I tried to listen to them again on the cast recording and I can't stand her voice. Everything feels so forced and nasal. Would love to hear someone like Betsy Wolfe sing these songs.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#366Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/13/15 at 7:09pm

I sat in the front row, dead center seat of the orchestra via TDF before Christmas! The stage is very thrusted, but it's not everyday you get to sit front row for $45, so I can't complain!

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#367Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/14/15 at 6:25am

I see opening night tickets available on TDF. Never a good sign but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this show.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#368Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/14/15 at 11:54am

@JoseLee_ HATERS BACK OFF!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#369Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/14/15 at 11:58am

I have nothing to say about Honeymoon in Vegas except that I love (?!) the spousal comment here. http://bit.ly/1BmRD4Z

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt
Updated On: 1/14/15 at 11:58 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#370Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/14/15 at 12:21pm

Well, I went to the opening night of Mary Tyler Moore in WHOSE LIFE IS IT, ANYWAY?, via the TKTS booth, landing 4th row center mezz, an hour before curtain, and that was Mary Tyler Moore, TV legend. (I suppose one might make a case for Danza being comparable, but to me it's a stretch.) The show needs reviews and buzz. The lack of genuine buzz is the biggest single problem. It seems entirely ... missable. On the other hand, shows around it are closing every week. By the end of January, things are decidedly even bleaker. For theatergoers/out-of-towners looking for a show that sounds like a sure thing -- a good time will be had by all -- this show could still suggest the winning ticket.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 1/14/15 at 12:21 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#371Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/14/15 at 1:24pm

I would have thought this would have been an easy sell, at least for a few months/year. Like Bullets. But we saw how that worked.

MegInManhattan
#372Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/14/15 at 5:37pm

Saw it last night and really enjoyed it. There were a few things that didn't work for me (like the cancer song some have mentioned), but left feeling great and was highly entertained for most it. Found Rob and Brynn to be very talented (especially Rob), and Tony Danza fit in seamlessly and sounded great (even if he did do Tony Danza-shtick). Some really fun songs and moments!

There was a set piece malfunction during act 1, but they didn't stop the action. Also incorporated an actress picking up a broken-off part nicely. For their sake, hope it doesn't happen during opening night though.

The mez was only about 2/3 full. Not sure about the orchestra. And some awful theatre behavior in the mez were a whole family left during act 1, and returned to their seats 5 minutes later with beers in hand! Then got into a fight during intermission.

victorg Profile Photo
victorg
#373Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/14/15 at 6:08pm

i thought the show looked cheap. kind of like dinner theater. since it partly takes place in vegas-could have used a splashy musical number. (that flying elvis crap doesnt count).

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#374Honeymoon in Vegas - Previews
Posted: 1/14/15 at 6:29pm

I saw it last night and was taken with just how different the JRB music was on the heels of Bridges. It was a fun time, but a tricky sell. I mean, it is pretty faithful to the source material, but the source material is so wacky to begin with I was surprised when I watched it last month just how nutty it was. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed seeing Danza up there singing and tapping.

I do think it is a fun, goofy show that is easy to follow with pleasant songs. If they had followed the film's conceit of Elvis covers, they might have found the next Mamma Mia, but even with the accessible JRB stuff with the smoking-hot band sort of makes that a harder selling point. I mean, Mamma Mia without ABBA would be closed long ago...

The Hawaii stuff does seem forced, as far as keeping Rob on the island but unable to get to Danza's place, whereas there was a confrontation in Hawaii in the movie. Anytime they took a different path than the movie, it didn't work (aside from trying to temper the misogyny in the piece by having her decide to return to Vegas and marry Danza).

I'm also confused by the part they changed on Rob's flight home to Vegas. In the movie, he can only get to San Jose, and the Flying Elvises are leaving from San Jose to jump in Vegas. I realize they didn't want to have a second airport set, but there should have been a fun way to reuse the same set, like just having the airport sign "Welcome to Hawaii" turn around to "Welcome to San Jose" or somesuch. It would make more sense than sky divers taking a nearly 6-hour flight to do a jump. I know I shouldn't be bothered by such niggling details, but what can I say, I notice them.

Plus, it was silly why they wouldn't let him on a commercial flight because they were scared of Danza, when they could have sorted that out more easily giving him a private jet. Again, just some weird choices.

"There was a set piece malfunction during act 1, but they didn't stop the action."

Danza was giving the set and the crew working on that set piece a bit of side-eye during his song, like "Are we all good over there?"

"since it partly takes place in vegas-could have used a splashy musical number."

They had the lounge singer and the show girls doing "When You Say Vegas," but since a Vegas number in most people's minds would mean 40 showgirls, etc., a scaled down version would just look even worse. You can throw a few female ensemble members into Flying Elvis suits, but none of those hot dancing boys would pass as well as chorus girls.

Videos