pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 15

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#350Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/7/23 at 5:11pm

As far as seating, I haven't been disappointed with Lodge seats I've sat in, but the orchestra will be better. There's very little Lodge overhang, so just about anywhere in the Orchestra will be closer. 

If you get a chance, if you go more than once, try sitting in the first or second row, either to the left or right of the pit, it’s like you’re practically on stage, and you can see every expression on their faces. It’s a unique experience to me.

I don’t recall rewriting the book of a music that’s already classified up there as an almost classic. Although it’s certainly not known that way because of its book. I think Sorkin is going to be preaching to us, and I just hope it isn’t heavy handed, but he lays it in between the lines.

If they were going to rewrite a book, I’d like them to write a new book for a musical like Pipe Dream, one of the Rodgers and Hammerstein’s flops. It has good songs, and some interesting characters. Mrs. Maisel  actually used a couple of tunes from that show as incidental music. The infectious “Sweet Thursday” is heard as they’re all going into the theater for the musical written by the music director from their Catskills resort.

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#351Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/7/23 at 5:31pm

RippedMan said: "Donica sounds...fine. You could throw a rock down 8th Ave and hit 100x singers who would sing it just like that. He's just not exciting. And the design seems King and I minimal. Eh. Curious to hear thoughts, but didn't love the Sorkin Mockingbird."

JudyDenmark: Donica absolutely brought the house down in the recent Broadway NY Pops concert, in a way that doesn’t typically happen to that degree in the Pops concerts. The audience went ballistic, and he was the talk of every revue of that concert. Delusional to think that 100x singers on 8th Ave could have that effect.

Donica was indeed absolutely wonderful at that Pops concert.  He was also superb at the Isn't it Bliss Sondheim concert last year.  I am very much looking forward to his Lancelot. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#352Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/8/23 at 12:00am

It’s true, it’s true!

The fourth Broadway revival of Camelot begins previews tomorrow night (March 9) at Lincoln Center’s Vivian Beaumont Theatre, before an April 13 opening. The production features a beloved score by Frederick Loewe and Alan Jay Lerner, a revised book by Aaron Sorkin, and direction by Bartlett Sher. Leading the principal cast are Andrew Burnap, Phillipa Soo, Jordan Donica, Dakin Matthews, Taylor Trensch, Marilee Talkington, Camden McKinnon, Anthony Michael Lopez, Fergie Philippe, and Danny Wolohan.

“King Arthur founds the kingdom of Camelot and the Knights of the Round Table, who fight for justice and right, only to see his ideal crumble when his wife Guenevere falls in love with his favorite knight, Sir Lancelot.”

Who else is going?

Oh look, a bibu!

Ptero2
#353Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/8/23 at 12:31am

I'll be there for the first preview! I have never seen Camelot and know nothing about the show or music. Should be interesting.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#354Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/8/23 at 11:42am

$44 lottery is now open:

https://camelotbwaylottery.com

Oh look, a bibu!

RunnyBabbit
#355Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/8/23 at 4:46pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "$44 lottery is now open:

https://camelotbwaylottery.com
"

I didn't win. crying

bettyco
#356Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/8/23 at 7:06pm

Is there an invited dress tonight?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#357Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 2:20pm

Looking forward to reports from this evening!

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#358Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 2:23pm

I won the lottery to see Camelot tomorrow night (Friday). They gave me SIDE ORCH RIGHT Row L, Seat 506. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#359Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 2:30pm

Some more from the cast & creative team, the line that jumped out to me most being that Merlyn is "not a nice man"

https://playbill.com/article/video-the-cast-of-camelot-want-you-to-know-that-the-shows-sexy-its-magical-and-its-relevant

BCfitasafiddle
#360Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 6:42pm

Everyone attending this evening: enjoy! Going in mid-April. Can't wait!

SusaninBaltimore
#361Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 7:04pm

Yes, everyone going tonight, have a blast! But please report back when you have time so we know how Aaron Sorkin has changed the book. Is it an improvement? Did he use Lerner’s noble speeches for Arthur? What did he mean when he spoke of giving us a “triangle” for our present era? Thanks for weighing in. But feel free to mark your posts as “spoilers” in case others here prefer not to know the changes. 

Updated On: 3/9/23 at 07:04 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#363Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 8:20pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cplsi-SoX8v/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y="

That preshow is interesting! Can’t wait to hear reports. Not my favorite show I’ve ever seen, so curious what Sorkin has done. 

BCfitasafiddle
#364Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 8:32pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cplsi-SoX8v/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y="

I think that's beautiful! 

Play Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#365Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 9:23pm

Stunning! You have to imagine the crew rips off that floor tarp to reveal a breath-stopping set change. 

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#366Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 11:14pm

I love that preshow look! Can't wait to hear more about the set - my favorite thing about Bartlett Sher/LCT shows!

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#367Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 11:17pm

Spill the tea, who was there?!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
Ptero2
#369Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 11:55pm

Copying and pasting from my Reddit post:

Phillipa Soo is unfairly talented. The MVP of a stacked cast for me - she does it all and then more. I don't envy Tony voters having to decide between all the great leading ladies this year...

The music was amazing. The orchestra sounds lovely, and the cast (especially Soo and Donica) sing it to perfection.

It's long as hell! The show went over three hours, and the first act in particular kept going. I didn't mind because I was watching some crazy good performers, but I imagine it will drag for some unless there are some cuts during previews. A guy next to me left after the first act, and a few more left towards the end of the second act.

The sets and staging were very well done. I was on the right side of the stage and very rarely were the actors facing away from me or something was blocking me from the action.

The Beaumont is a beautiful theater. I love their stage.

I was unfamiliar with Camelot before this, so can't speak to what was changed. But the book interspersed the drama with some funny lines and quick banter as one might expect from Sorkin. I felt it stopped the show from dragging at points, so that's good.

No British accents, for those who care.

Oh, and Philippa gave a little speech at the end and called out all the Broadway debuts in the cast. Nice moment.

Updated On: 3/9/23 at 11:55 PM

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#370Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/9/23 at 11:58pm

They might cut a bit. LCT’s listed running time on their website is approximately 2 hours 55 minutes, including intermission. 

Oh look, a bibu!

JasonC3
#371Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:01am

This is pretty much what you would expect from a Sher/Lincoln Center revival of a classic: lush orchestra, simple staging with select large representational elements brought in, and good use of the Beaumont space. Projections are used to good effect throughout.

I haven't seen Camelot in some time, but this is a very funny and entertaining production in the first act with lots of humor and updated references.

The three leads were all excellent and had good chemistry.  The rest of the cast was strong as well.  No real weak link among them.

The last 10 minutes or so (pretty much post-betrayal) didn't work as well for me as the rest of the show and the ending is just cheesy and some will perceive it as excessively woke.  I need to look at an original script and do some comparing.

I sat first row left of center on the aisle (row C).  I love watching the orchestra so usually opt for this despite losing out a bit on the larger stage pictures.  As with most Beaumont shows, the center three sections are preferred, but the staging and cast hit the sides fairly often, so those seats aren't horrible. 

Merch I saw: poster, mug, t-shirt, keychain, magnet.

Tonight ran just a little over three hours with the first act coming in around 1 hour, 45 minutes.   I thought the time pretty much flew by in the first act.  The second act pacing was a bit mixed for me, but does have some good energy and momentum during Fie on Goodness.

Updated On: 3/10/23 at 12:01 AM

SusaninBaltimore
#372Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:07am

Thanks for all your vivid first-preview reports. I’m dying to see it! Loved the Insta clips too. 

Updated On: 3/10/23 at 12:07 AM

Ptero2
#373Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:18am

I also posted some pictures here, including the set before act one and during intermission, if anyone is curious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/11net2g/i_saw_the_first_preview_of_camelot/

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#374Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 3/10/23 at 12:29am

I seem to remember the first couple of previews for other Sher revivals running more than 3 hours and being a little chaotic, so I'm not terribly concerned about the runtime here; it'll tighten up and Sorkin will trim (or at least I sure as hell hope he will).

Would love to hear about book changes and any score cuts, from those who know the original CAMELOT!

Videos