INTO THE WOODS Reviews

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#350INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 11:18am

One rumor has Idina coming in as the Baker's Wife, and I'd love to see it happen. She'd definitely bring the Bareilles-level star power to close the show with tons of much-deserved fanfare.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#351INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 11:55am

Isn't something else booked at this theater for the Spring? I'd assume if they wanted another extension, they'd have to move theaters.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#352INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 1:21pm

ACL2006 said: "Isn't something else booked at this theater for the Spring? I'd assume if they wanted another extension, they'd have to move theaters."

Yes. Kander/Ebb/LMM’s “New York, New York” is slated for the St. James in the spring.

alexidarling15
#353INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 7:43pm

There are SO many empty seats for weekdays right now. I'm wondering if it's worth just buying a $69 balcony seat online and nicely asking the box office for a better empty seat? 

Also is there a reason this isn't on TDF?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#354INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 8:01pm

Tickets at TKTS are as low as $79.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

JSquared2
#355INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 8:45pm

alexidarling15 said: "There are SO many empty seats for weekdays right now. I'm wondering if it's worth just buying a $69 balcony seat online and nicely asking the box office for a better empty seat?

That’s not how box offices work. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#356INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 8:50pm

I just checked the merchandise available for sale on the website and am in utter disbelief that there is nothing available with Milky White.  This just seems like such a huge missed opportunity. 
I want my Milky White T shirt not a “Moo” T shirt. What gives?  I saw the show at City Center and will be seeing it again later this month.  Is there a chance that more merchandise is available at the St. James?

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#357INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 9:41pm

TaffyDavenport said: "One rumor has Idina coming in as the Baker's Wife, and I'd love to see it happen. She'd definitely bring the Bareilles-level star power to close the show with tons of much-deserved fanfare."

Idina Menzel returning to Broadway after 8 years as a third replacement in a show in which she is not the clear star is pretty unimaginable. Where did you hear this rumor? 

JasonC3
#358INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 9:52pm

Broadway hasn't exactly been calling on Menzel to take on leading roles in new productions.  A short run in an acclaimed production might be pretty appealing if you don't have better options for other work.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#359INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 9:56pm

I think it's more of a prestige thing too. Short run, she's not the main focus, she's not on stage the whole time, the role is vocally taxing, etc. I could see the appeal. 

BroadwayGirl107
#360INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 9:56pm

JasonC3 said: "Broadway hasn't exactly been calling on Menzel to take on leading roles in new productions. A short run in an acclaimed production might be pretty appealing if you don't have better options for other work."

I feel like it’s more likely that she’s not returning Broadway’s calls than Broadway not calling her. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#361INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 10:15pm

BroadwayGirl107 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "One rumor has Idina coming in as the Baker's Wife, and I'd love to see it happen. She'd definitely bring the Bareilles-level star power to close the show with tons of much-deserved fanfare."

Idina Menzel returning to Broadway after 8 years as a third replacement in a show in which she is not the clear star is pretty unimaginable. Where did you hear this rumor?

"

It was on TikTok a while back. 

Jimmyb1969
#362INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/7/22 at 11:16pm

The sound in the theatre tonight was dreadful - inexcusable and unprofessional. Mix too low. Mics late or not on at all. Just amateur hour. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#363INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 12:24am

If Idina is coming back to broadway it’s to originate something and possibly win a Tony not to replace SJB. The show had its moment and is quickly losing steam. Just my 2 cents

fosseboi008
#364INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 1:55am

JasonC3 said: "Broadway hasn't exactly been calling on Menzel to take on leading roles in new productions. A short run in an acclaimed production might be pretty appealing if you don't have better options for other work."

Yeah, no. Broadway has called her plenty and she has passed for movie projects or simply no interest. One of the last being Jagged Little Pill that was structured as first for her to star. 

ElphabaGoodman
#365INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 2:03am

fosseboi008 said: "JasonC3 said: "Broadway hasn't exactly been calling on Menzel to take on leading roles in new productions. A short run in an acclaimed production might be pretty appealing if you don't have better options for other work."

Yeah, no. Broadway has called her plenty and she has passed for movie projects or simply no interest. One of the last being Jagged Little Pill that was structured as first for her to star.
"

She was offered to replace in The Band’s Visit also

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#366INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 6:30am

ElphabaGoodman said: "fosseboi008 said: "JasonC3 said: "Broadway hasn't exactly been calling on Menzel to take on leading roles in new productions. A short run in an acclaimed production might be pretty appealing if you don't have better options for other work."

"

She was offered to replace inThe Band’s Visitalso
"

JAGGED LITTLE PILL I could see, but THE BAND’S VISIT? Katrina Lenk was exotic and erotic and everything that role needed to be. I cannot imagine Menzel bringing that to the role.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#367INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 7:38am

quizking101 said: "ElphabaGoodman said: "fosseboi008 said: "JasonC3 said: "Broadway hasn't exactly been calling on Menzel to take on leading roles in new productions. A short run in an acclaimed production might be pretty appealing if you don't have better options for other work."

"

She was offered to replace inThe Band’s Visitalso
"

JAGGED LITTLE PILL I could see, but THE BAND’S VISIT? Katrina Lenk was exotic and erotic and everything that role needed to be. I cannot imagine Menzel bringing that to the role.
"

Totally agree. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#368INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 8:21am

Menzel now seems more Witch than Baker's Wife. She's 51, and though doesn't look it, she's so effortlessly larger-than-life. I may be unfair. And not to be too cheeky, she's already played witches and ladies with power, and can understand her finding the Witch's music less compelling. All totally ridiculous speculation on my part. 

If she had stayed with Jagged Little Pill, it would've been a solid hit. But I can see where the show becoming ensemble-ish didn't appeal. That was frankly a problem with the piece: too many issues tethered to an unwieldy cast of characters. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

BCfitasafiddle
#369INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 11:08am

Anyone who has been at the first performance this week: how is Montego Glover? I don't know how much that casting excites me.

spicemonkey
#370INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 11:14am

BCfitasafiddle said: "Anyone who has been at the first performance this week: how is Montego Glover? I don't know how much that casting excites me."

wasn't at the first pref but saw it yesterday

I have seen three witches so far - Headley, Miller and Glover. I have to say Glover is the weakest among them, both singing and acting wise

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#371INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 12:28pm

I haven’t seen her, but I feel like Glover doesn’t have the bite and edginess for the Witch. She also doesn’t have the dark and mysterious energy someone like Lenk could bring to the role. 

BroadwayGirl107
#372INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 1:00pm

Auggie27 said: "Menzel now seems more Witch than Baker's Wife. She's 51, and though doesn't look it, she's so effortlessly larger-than-life. I may be unfair. And not to be too cheeky, she's already played witches and ladies with power, and can understand her finding the Witch's music less compelling. All totally ridiculous speculation on my part.

If she had stayed with Jagged Little Pill, it would've been a solid hit. But I can see where the show becoming ensemble-ish didn't appeal. That was frankly a problem with the piece: too many issues tethered to an unwieldy cast of characters.
"

She’d be a great witch! But I think that would need to happen in a production built around her.

re: Jagged…I guess we don’t know why she left. Could have been scheduling stuff (pretty sure Frozen 2 was being made during this time), but it also could have been that the material was weak and the character who always walked away with the show was Jo, not MJ. 

At any rate, when Idina decides to come back she will, I’m sure, make sure it is an event and that it is something built around her uniqueness. Not replacing an actor she replaced to originate Elphaba, lol. 

V2David
#373INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 1:43pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Anyone who has been at the first performance this week: how is Montego Glover? I don't know how much that casting excites me."

I saw the show for the first time Wednesday afternoon. This is of course the new cast. I thought Glover was great! I know some people have been critical of her, but ai enjoyed her performance and her singing. Of course, I have nothing to compare her to.

Infact, I thought the entire cast was great. SJB / Sebastian Arcelus were excellent. I really enjoyed Krysta Rodriguez as Cinderella. Katy Geraghty was extremely funny as Little Red Ridinghood. But the performance I probably enjoyed the most was Andy Karl & Joshua Henry as the Princes. It was pure campy fun. Kind of like The Princess Bride.

Now once again, I have nothing to compare any of these performances to. I'm sure if I enjoyed Glover, perhaps I would be blown away by Patina Miller.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#374INTO THE WOODS Reviews
Posted: 9/8/22 at 2:32pm

Orfeh as the Witch please. 

Videos