pixeltracker

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'- Page 16

THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#375 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/16/17 at 9:03am

Hey, remember when people said that Phillipa Soo must be kicking herself for choosing Amelie over Natasha? Maybe, given all that happened with Great Comet, she's feeling more relief over that decision.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Audrey33
#376 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/16/17 at 9:05am

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Hey, remember when people said that Phillipa Soo must be kicking herself for choosing Amelie over Natasha? Maybe, given all that happened with Great Comet, she's feeling more relief over that decision."

Yeah, she would have got another Tony nomination with Natasha but she would have been in an incredibly awkward position with the Oak stuff.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#378 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/16/17 at 9:37am

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "Hey, remember when people said that Phillipa Soo must be kicking herself for choosing Amelie over Natasha? Maybe, given all that happened with Great Comet, she's feeling more relief over that decision."

Umm, why would she feel relief that she didn't make a career choice that someone thought up on a message board and, instead, originated yet another role?!

ActingDude172
#379 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 12:22pm

Is the final performance really sold out or am I not using Telecharge properly?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Sunny11
#381 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 1:05pm

On great comet Soo would have been in Josh Grobans shadow the whole time, on Amelie she pretty much had the spotlight to her self. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#382 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 2:04pm

She would've probably gotten a second Tony nod out of Great Comet. The show launched her career and the role was tailored specifically for her- "No One Else" was even written for her.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 8/17/17 at 02:04 PM

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#383 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 4:05pm

Saw show 8.16... staff said oak's agent told him to quit.  Considering all that's been said here, wonder if that could be true.  Why would an agent do that?   

Scott gave a passioned performance 

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#384 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 4:25pm

JayElle said: "Saw show 8.16... staff said oak's agent told him to quit.  Considering all that's been said here, wonder if that could be true.  Why would an agent do that?   

Scott gave a passioned performance 
"

Define "staff". If you mean box office, their word doesn't hold too much weight -- they don't even know who is in the cast most of the time, let alone the cast drama.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#385 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 4:32pm

An agent wouldn't advise their client to quit. Doing that means they forfeit being paid out.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JayElle Profile Photo
JayElle
#386 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 5:58pm

Raddersons & Kad. 

No Raddersons. Wasn't box off ..., person in theater... there was so much talk bout him being fired or Casal guy told him and then talk bout him being fired.  Now that makes sense that  agent would lose commission.  I presumed they're paid if actor works.   Sad vibes in theater in biz off, ushers, etc bout losing show closing. Some blame producer. Sad

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#387 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 6:36pm

Saw the matinee yesterday, and most of the time I was just sad that this lovely show was meeting with an untimely end.

I first came to this show at the ART, but have been lucky enough to see each Pierre (I think....was Stangland the underdstudy then?)  I do think he was my favorite Pierre.  

I wish everyone involved with Comet the best of luck and a quick return to the Great White Way.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

HSky
#388 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 6:49pm

dramamama611 said: "I first came to this show at the ART, but have been lucky enough to see each Pierre (I think....was Stangland the underdstudy then?)  I do think he was my favorite Pierre."

No, he was the regular Pierre at ART. (And also my favorite.) Since it started, the progression (not counting any return engagements) is Dave Malloy -> David Abeles -> Scott Stangland -> Josh Groban -> Okieriete Onaodowan.

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 06:49 PM

loveinnewyorkcity Profile Photo
loveinnewyorkcity
#389 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:28pm

After seeing the show again yesterday, I'm so so so sad to see this show go. There will truly never be anything like it again. 

I'm glad that so many new faces were put in the spotlight with this production though, many of who will hopefully go on to have great careers on Broadway. Excited to see what Denee and Lucas do next.

Amber Gray is also such a STAR. Last time I sat in the mezz and didn't notice her during 'Pierre & Natasha' but WOW. Her acting is beautiful.  Did anyone see the understudy for Helene? Did she react the same way during that song?

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#390 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:31pm

So ... I definitely want to see this again. Should I spring for a Scott ticket this weekend or Dave Malloy? I have heard Dave Malloy on youtube and did not like the sound of his voice. I haven't heard much of Scott. As a point of comparison I loved Josh and Oak and their deeper voices and Malloy's voice sounds too indie rock tenor for me.

loveinnewyorkcity
#391 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:37pm

poisonivy2 said: "So ... I definitely want to see this again. Should I spring for a Scott ticket this weekend or Dave Malloy? I have heard Dave Malloy on youtube and did not like the sound of his voice. I haven't heard much of Scott. As a point of comparison I loved Josh and Oak and their deeper voices and Malloy's voice sounds too indie rock tenor for me.

"

Previously, I had only heard Josh live and Malloy on cast recordings but I LOVED Scott as Pierre. He has a great voice.

Notreallysilent 2
#392 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:42pm

Dave is really amazing as Pierre. His voice might not be the best but it fits the show. His dust and ashes is truly powerful. I'm just seeing Scott tomorrow so I can't say anything about him, but whoever you decide you won't be disappointed. Why not go see both? There are some good $37 rear mezz seats that are the perfect view for the show if use the code "GCBOX630". 

HennySlay
#393 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:44pm

loveinnewyorkcity said: "After seeing the show again yesterday, I'm so so so sad to see this show go. There will truly never be anything like it again. 

I'm glad that so many new faces were put in the spotlight with this production though, many of who will hopefully go on to have great careers on Broadway. Excited to see what Denee and Lucas do next.

Amber Gray is also such a STAR. Last time I sat in the mezz and didn't notice her during 'Pierre & Natasha' but WOW. Her acting is beautiful.  Did anyone see the understudy for Helene? Did she react the same way during that song?

"

How was Amber reacting during "Natasha and Pierre"? 

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#394 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:59pm

HennySlay said: "loveinnewyorkcity said: "After seeing the show again yesterday, I'm so so so sad to see this show go. There will truly never be anything like it again. 

"

"

I sat at table TR once, which is the table she sits right next to after Anatole leaves for Petersburg. During "Natasha and Pierre" she sits there with her head down sniffling throughout the entire song, then when Pierre asks Natasha "did you love that bad man?" she jerks her head up and looks at them with this look of despair. When Natasha responds "don't call him bad" she drops her head back down with a tiny little smile. 

I had never noticed that before but she was right next to me that time and you could have knocked me over with a feather at that moment. It was amazing.

CorkySt.Clair Profile Photo
CorkySt.Clair
#395 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 9:01pm

^my question as well. I was so focused on Pierre/Natasha that I couldn't have picked out where any other actors were during the last two songs...(maybe it's just cuz I was crying so much lol)

Updated On: 8/17/17 at 09:01 PM

loveinnewyorkcity
#396 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/17/17 at 9:07pm

Eliza2 said: "HennySlay said: "loveinnewyorkcity said: "After seeing the show again yesterday, I'm so so so sad to see this show go. There will truly never be anything like it again. 

"

"

I sat at table TR once, which is the table she sits right next to after Anatole leaves for Petersburg. During "Natasha and Pierre" she sits there with her head down sniffling throughout the entire song, then when Pierre asks Natasha "did you love that bad man?" she jerks her head up and looks at them with this look of despair. When Natasha responds "don't call him bad" she drops her head back down with a tiny little smile. 

I had never noticed that before but she was right next to me that time and you could have knocked me over with a feather at that moment. It was amazing.

"

^^^

This was what I was talking about. This moment really pushed the show over the top for me. 

HSky
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#398 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/18/17 at 12:11am

HSky said: "dramamama611 said: "I first came to this show at the ART, but have been lucky enough to see each Pierre (I think....was Stangland the underdstudy then?)  I do think he was my favorite Pierre."

No, he was the regular Pierre at ART. (And also my favorite.) Since it started, the progression (not counting any return engagements) is Dave Malloy -> David Abeles -> Scott Stangland -> Josh Groban -> Okieriete Onaodowan.
"

Wow, I wrote that badly...I knew he was officially the lead at the ART...I MEANT to ask if he was the understudy BEFORE that....so thanks for answering what I meant....neat trick!

So the only Pierre I missed then was David Abeles.   Not too shabby.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

HSky
#399 THE GREAT COMET Announces September Broadway Closing; Final Performers for Role of 'Pierre'
Posted: 8/18/17 at 1:27am

dramamama611 said: "Wow, I wrote that badly...I knew he was officially the lead at the ART...I MEANT to ask if he was the understudy BEFORE that....so thanks for answering what I meant....neat trick!"

??????Oops! I thought it was odd you were asking, lol, since I know you had seen him in Cambridge. 

Videos