pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 17

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#400SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:16pm

Since we know "Parlour Songs" is in, can I get a yea or nay on the tooth-pulling? They quoted from the lyric on social media, and I don't think they'd do that if it wasn't in.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

bettyco
#401SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:33pm

Just saw and loved it - Gaten and Annaleigh are the stand outs as everyone has already said, but Maria Billbao was such a nice surprise. She has a really lovely voice.

BarnabyTucker Profile Photo
BarnabyTucker
#402SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:33pm

The factory whistle was sorely missed.  Every killing lacks punctuation at the end of it, and they all sort of just fizzle out.  I'm hoping this is just tech issues but I'm happy to get #BringBacktheWhistle trending. SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#403SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:34pm

Well here is hoping the lack of blood in Act II was a technical issue since they are using it to advertise/promote the show (And on their merch). That was one of the big things about the original.

Curious as to whether the factory whistle is used in "City On Fire" since it wasn't used in the opening? How did the opening sound without it? Did the organ just stop and the opening number just started?

Just give the world Love.

JasonC3
#404SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:34pm

I still can't get over some of the seat locations that are tagged with the $522 asking price (not resale seats). Takes me back to the early days of Hamilton.

Updated On: 2/26/23 at 07:34 PM

Jimmyb1969
#405SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:42pm

Fine first preview. Annaleigh had mic problems the entire show and I cannot believe people have not commented more about her sloppy diction and dialect. We all had trouble understanding her. Garble mouth. I’m all for her character but we have to hear what she’s saying and singing. Dialects are all over the place in the show ranging from zero to annaleigh! If she just cleaned it up a bit she will be a home run. She’s very funny. Why doesn’t she react or scream at the end? She’s about to be cremated!!!!! Jordan is horribly miscast and had troubles finding his notes. Like audibly trying to find the notes. That’s a no no on Broadway. Josh was terrific and I have no doubt he’ll keep digging deeper into character . The loud set changes are also a no no for Broadway. Come on - you’re pros. Definitely agree with the other posts amp up the blood. Zero chemistry between Jordan and Maria. Ruthies mic had issues too and could clean up her diction. Gaten nailed it.  The lighting was weird in the show - either too light or too dark - is this a touring company of jeckyll and Hyde? Come on! 

Updated On: 2/26/23 at 07:42 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#406SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:43pm

So for those who saw it today –– what are your thoughts on the Best Actor Tony race? Could Groban win (over Platt, Swenson, and Ghee)? And does it stand a chance of beating WOODS, the presumptive frontrunner, for Best Revival?

BarnabyTucker
#407SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:51pm

Jimmyb1969 said: "Fine first preview. Annaleigh had mic problems the entire show and I cannot believe people have not commented more about her sloppy diction. We all had trouble understanding her. Garble mouth. I’m all for her character but we have to hear what she’s saying and singing. Jordan is horribly miscast and had troubles finding his notes. That’s a no no on Broadway. Josh was terrific and I have no doubt he’ll keep digging deeper into character . The loud set changes are also a no no for Broadway. Come on - you’re pros. Definitelyagree with the other posts amp up the blood. Zero chemistry between Jordan and Maria. Ruthies mic had issues too. The lighting was weird in the show - either too light or too dark - is this a touring company of jeckyll and Hyde? Come on!"

You do realize you saw a first preview of a Broadway show?  Mic issues are expected.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#408SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:54pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "So for those who saw it today –– what are your thoughts on the Best Actor Tony race? Could Groban win (over Platt, Swenson, and Ghee)? And does it stand a chance of beating WOODS, the presumptive frontrunner, for Best Revival?"

We don't know about the upcoming new shows. But I'd 100% rule out Platt, Swenson and Ghee winning over Groban.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#409SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:56pm

Can anyone speak further to the physical production? Does the set do anything interesting, etc? 

Also, you'd think given the logo and merch this would be hella bloody. 

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#410SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 7:56pm

Not sure, sounds pretty conventional for the ticket prices. And not even Groban's last Broadway show had such high ticket costs.

How does it stack against Doyle's revival?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

imeldasturn Profile Photo
imeldasturn
#411SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:01pm

ACL2006 said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "So for those who saw it today –– what are your thoughts on the Best Actor Tony race? Could Groban win (over Platt, Swenson, and Ghee)? And does it stand a chance of beating WOODS, the presumptive frontrunner, for Best Revival?"

We don't know about the upcoming new shows. But I'd 100% rule out Platt, Swenson and Ghee winning over Groban.
"

Swenson would be lucky to get a nod

Cory Schimmoelelr
#412SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:05pm

Sad To see, judging from an earlier review, that this show is attracted the kind of audience members that choose to sing along

Jimmyb1969
#413SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:08pm

BarnabyTucker said: "Jimmyb1969 said: "Fine first preview. Annaleigh had mic problems the entire show and I cannot believe people have not commented more about her sloppy diction. We all had trouble understanding her. Garble mouth. I’m all for her character but we have to hear what she’s saying and singing. Jordan is horribly miscast and had troubles finding his notes. That’s a no no on Broadway. Josh was terrific and I have no doubt he’ll keep digging deeper into character . The loud set changes are also a no no for Broadway. Come on - you’re pros. Definitelyagree with the other posts amp up the blood. Zero chemistry between Jordan and Maria. Ruthies mic had issues too. The lighting was weird in the show - either too light or too dark - is this a touring company of jeckyll and Hyde? Come on!"

You do realize you saw a first preview of a Broadway show? Mic issues are expected.

"Not at 300 and not on Broadway!” Maybe in Detroit…

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#414SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:09pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Does it stand a chance of beating WOODS, the presumptive frontrunner, for Best Revival?"

From having done some research, whenever there's two shows co-written by the same author(s) in contention for Best Revival of a Musical, they both lose to something else. Here are examples:

1996 - Company and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum both lost to The King & I.

1999 - Little Me and Peter Pan both lost to Annie Get Your Gun.

2008 - Gypsy and Sunday in the Park with George both lost to South Pacific.

2012 - Evita and Jesus Christ Superstar both lost to Porgy & Bess.

2015 - On the Town and On the Twentieth Century both lost to The King & I.

2016 - Fiddler on the Roof and She Loves Me both lost to The Color Purple.

Whether or not that trend will break for the very first time this year remains to be seen.

Updated On: 2/26/23 at 08:09 PM

JasonC3
#415SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:16pm

Cory Schimmoelelr said: "Sad To see, judging from an earlier review, that this show is attracted the kind of audience members that choose to sing along"

Not unusual at the first few previews sadly.  Let's hope it does not continue.

twinklingstar Profile Photo
twinklingstar
#416SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:17pm

You do realize you saw a first preview of a Broadway show? Mic issues are expected.

"Not at 300 and not on Broadway!” Maybe in Detroit…

Still a first preview. You want a clean show don't go to first preview. Half the reason people go to 1st previews is to see if something goes wrong and there is a show stop. By the last week of previews things are pretty well set. And they charge that much because people pay that much. Previews used to be cheaper but audiences showed they were willing to pay more.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#417SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:25pm

RippedMan said: "Can anyone speak further to the physical production? Does the set do anything interesting, etc?

Also, you'd think given the logo and merch this would be hella bloody.
"

The arrival of the barber chair was pretty inventive. That was a cool moment. 

For those who asked “City on Fire” is exactly the same without the whistle but less terrifying. 
The opening is the exact prelude as the Philharmonic dvd and London revival, but just goes into the opening chords of the ballad without the whistle. The organ prelude can differ by production, but I’m so glad it was the exact one I wanted. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#418SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:27pm

JasonC3 said: "Interesting about the darkness. You'd think that is one thing that would have already been fixed."

The same thing happened at the first preview of the 2009 Night Music revival. It was way too dark, but they quickly fixed it during previews. I assume they will here as well. 

Updated On: 2/26/23 at 08:27 PM

BarnabyTucker
#419SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:30pm

I will say the button at the end of A Little Priest is thrilling: 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Sweeney and Mrs. Lovett lift their butcher's knife/rolling pin as usual, but on the last note they each smash a meat pie and the crust goes flying.  It's thrilling.

Dan6
#420SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:31pm

Apart from the earlier pre-show post about the Judge’s “Johanna” not being listed, is it now confirmed as cut?

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#421SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:38pm

FANtomFollies said: "It obviously depends on the theatre, but will 26 musicians fit in most orchestra pits? I know the ST orchestra is having a harp, which takes up quite a bit of space on it's own."

The original Sound of Music played in the Lunt-Fontane Theatre, surely that had an orchestra of a similar size?  I know they often shrink the pit over the years for more seats, etc, but...

BdwyFan
#422SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:44pm

I really think Parade will win Best Musical Revival.  we shall see.  

supersam1026 Profile Photo
supersam1026
#423SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:48pm

A big production spoiler below, DO NOT read unless you saw or want to be spoiled on a crucial staging bit.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I still can't get that final moment out of my head. That last half second was thrilling and so visceral. I loved it so much, can't get the image of Sweeney & Lovett stepping in and falling into that trap. I was waiting for the blackout as they walked upstage and for them to just drop was.... wow!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#424SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 2/26/23 at 8:51pm

Cory Schimmoelelr said: "Sad To see, judging from an earlier review, that this show is attracted the kind of audience members that choose to sing along"

A first preview is not indicative of a normal audience. Kind of doubt we are gonna see that regularly –– the big fans come out for early previews.

I guess at least this show is attracting audiences at all?

Videos