pixeltracker

AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010- Page 2

AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010

singalongsong2 Profile Photo
singalongsong2
#25AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 5:30pm

This news has made me very happy!

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#26AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 5:34pm

Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

<--------------- returns to Broadway!

jrb_actor Profile Photo
jrb_actor
dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#28AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 6:21pm

I'm a VERY happy gal. I just hope it can live up to my expectations.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#29AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 6:22pm

If American Idiot can become a musical I think The Fame/ The Fame Monster should become one, too...

I can dream, right?

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

rmusic11322
#30AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 7:07pm

YES!!! I can't wait for this show!!!!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#31AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 7:28pm

Actually, if they can convince the TONY commitee that this was written to be a "show" (as TOMMY did, and tied for the win if I remember correctly), the score can be nominated.
I can see that happening.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#32AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:12pm

This is excellent news. I'm extremely excited for this show and the mega-talented cast. They all seem so dedicated to the show.

raggballad2 Profile Photo
raggballad2
#33AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:20pm

Haha WishingOnlyWounds2, I was just thinking about a Lady Gaga musical last night. Oh boy...

I'm also really excited for this! I may have to visit NYC again next year for this...

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#34AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:45pm

CurtainPullDowner,

I don't think that is fully what Townshend did. I do believe that what helped him out was that the score of the musical version of Tommy was not taken 100 per cent from the original album. That there were two new songs written for the show (Sally Simpson's Question and I Believe My Own Eyes.)

I think that the main difference between these two show is that yes, they are both rock operas that went from album to stage. However, the difference between American Idiot and Tommy was that Tommy had a couple of new songs in the score written just for the show and there is no new song for American Idiot.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#35AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:51pm

That there were two new songs written for the show (Sally Simpson's Question and I Believe My Own Eyes.)

The funny thing is, I Believe My Own Eyes is far and away the best song in that score.

BwayBoundJoe Profile Photo
BwayBoundJoe
#36AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 9:57pm

I'm excited Tony Vincent is coming back, as well as a few other cast memembers, Best of luck to them all! I'm just afraid the St. James is too big of a theatre...who knows though.

Formally Stews_Bitch::: Shows in the 2010 Season for me. 101 Dalmations tour - Jan 24th, Xanadu Tour - Mar 9th and 10th, Wicked - May 14th, Legally Blonde - June 12th:::::::Upcoming - South Pacific, Young Frankinstein (Two Cities) Rock of Ages (Two Cities) Shrek (3 Cities) Les Mis, DreamGirls, Spring Awakening, Color Purple, and 9 to 5!

Dantes
#37AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 11:19pm

This show is great, the staging is eye popping, the set brilliant, the cast superb and the music is fantastic, however this has to have the worst story/book for a show ever. It has nothing to say, lots of angst but no voice. I hope they sort this out before it gets to broadway because if they do it will go from a very good show to a great great show.

former sadm2 (wink)

rmusic11322
#38AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 11:23pm

I know this show uses Green Day music, but what is the plot of the story?

Dantes
#39AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 11:26pm

*spoilers i guess*

3 boys from a dead end town want to move away, they decide to move to the city but 1 finds out his GF is pregnant so stays back and spends the show sitting on a sofa looking depressed. The other 2 go but 1 decideds to join the army and another has to make a choice between drugs and a girl.

And thats it, no more than that.

former sadm2 (wink)

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#40AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/5/10 at 11:58pm

There IS no plot.

Show has potential - book needs work...

When I think about you, I touch myself.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#41AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 12:17am

Well that sounds just horrible...

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#42AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 12:30am

I'm down for the Lady Gaga musical.

This is great news! I'll be buying tickets when I go to the city in the spring.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

neil30043
#43AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 9:40am

to those who have seen the earlier production in calif., are all the parts 'featured', as opposed to someone having a 'leading' role?

Yankeefan007
#44AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 10:05am

The production also uses a few songs from the new 21 GUNS album.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#45AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 10:08am

The album is 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN, 21 GUNS was the second single off of it.

romgitsean
#46AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 10:56am

Don't get me wrong. I like Green Day. But I'm not thrilled for this, partially because I'm not a fan of jukebox musicals, but I feel like this show is essentally just a song-cycle of Green Day with a really good sets.

I just hope on its transfer it will work on the story. I think it could either hit and become the next Movin' Out or Mamma Mia of Jukebox musicals or completely fall flat. Whatever the case, I wish it well and so far am enjoying the vocals-especially the cover of '21 Guns'.

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

PiraguaGuy2
#47AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 11:02am

I mean, if you describe any musical the way Dante did it sounds like a piece of crap.

Wanna go see a musical about a bunch of poor twentysomethings who don't want to pay rent and bitch about having AIDS? No? How about a musical about a mom who has a daughter who doesn't want to be a performer but the mom makes her do it and then she becomes a stripper and finds out she likes it?

You know what sounds like a real piece of crap? The revival of that musical with NO PLOT except about a bunch of hippies and one of them gets drafted and he goes into the army and dies.

There's a lot more to any show than its plot distilled to a couple vague sentences.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#48AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 12:13pm

to those who have seen the earlier production in calif., are all the parts 'featured', as opposed to someone having a 'leading' role?

No, I would say that John Gallagher Jr.'s character was the lead, with Matt Caplan's a close second.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

MusicSnob1 Profile Photo
MusicSnob1
#49AMERICAN IDIOT Moves To Broadway; Opens at St. James Theatre April 20, 2010
Posted: 1/6/10 at 12:32pm

PG2 -

Stay fair & balanced. It's more appealing. Your obsessive affection for "American Idiot" is bleeding through... Did you even see the production in CA?

Dantes is completely spot on. Ask anyone else who's seen it. The book needs a major overhaul.

When I think about you, I touch myself.

Videos