News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?- Page 2

Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?

wdwfreak Profile Photo
wdwfreak
#25Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 10:02pm

The only reasoning I could see ALW would pay for half of the transferring cost is so he knows that the show can transfer again if it is doing well and not risk a new show that is doing well to be there when they want to bring LND over.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#26Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 10:02pm

Hope this is true! I'd LOVE to see Finian's at least once more!

lovesclassics
#27Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 10:10pm

ACL2006,

I was thinking the same thing. Why not keep Ragtime running there instead of paying to move another limping show in? Seems strange.

Having said that, I saw Finian's on Saturday - made a special trip in to catch it. I've never seen a strong professional production, so I didn't want to let it slip by me. While I enjoyed it and I thought it was charming, I also felt it was missing an essential spark at the center. The romance was definitely not "too hot to handle." The all important friction was missing. While Kate Baldwin was luminous and has a delicious voice, she didn't have the necessary spunk to give her relationships with her father and Woody that lovingly contentious edge. And Cheyenne was just sort of ... there. Not the heroic macho man to make a practical lass like Sharon swoon.

I also found the staging and choreography to be uninspired a lot of the time. The Idle Poor/Rich was the only production number that really stood out for me. Susan the Silent's dancing was downright boring. Her moves were repetitive and not expressive or interpretive at all. And during If This Isn't Love, while Woody was translating, she wasn't even moving!

This production did succeed in making the satirical elements about race and the economy work - delightfully so - and the supporting players were terrific. Kudos to Terri White, Chuck Cooper, and Christopher Fitzgerald, especially. But in general the show just never seemed to achieve the lift off I expected after reading the rave reviews. Jim Norton was thankfully not a stereotype, but in going for honesty I found him to be a bit too understated and not impish enough. And that set - oh, my. I'm definitely in the "it didn't work for me" camp. Where was the magic, the beauty of Ireland reflected in Rainbow Valley? The overwhelming vastness and richness of the land?

And - MAJOR SPOILER here - I knew how they were going to handle the rainbow the minute I took my seat. So its appearance was anti-climactic.

I did like the show curtain, though. The patchwork quilt was very homespun and a nice touch.

I would still recommend the show to friends. I enjoyed it and left with a warm glow on a cold winter's day. The music is great, and the book holds up surprisingly well in this particular production. I just wish the romance had sizzled the way the music suggests it should. I'm old enough to remember Finian's and consider it a minor classic. Definitely glad I saw it.

One more comment regarding the possible reduction/transfer:

I didn't feel the cast was particularly large, although in checking back with the program, there are 30 members listed. I suppose they'd do more doubling? There are also 23 musicians listed. So I guess they could make some cuts there, too.

Should be interesting to see what ultimately happens.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#28Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 10:12pm

Yero, I was thinking about Jersey Boys when I posted. It still feels a little out of the way, but having a big hit nearby could definitely help.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#29Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 10:12pm

If this does happen, which, who knows, it may, then I will like Webber a little better. Even though I haven't seen the show, I desire to, and I would be happy to see it try again. But I'd still hate Webber a lot.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#30Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 10:31pm

Okay, what is the time frame for this? I know P said there would be a short gap. Early Feb? If this is true I wonder if I can get my mom's tickets back.

ETA: Isn't The Neil Simon a ticketmaster theatre? I guess switching would be out of the option.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".
Updated On: 1/7/10 at 10:31 PM

givesmevoice
#31Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 10:36pm

If it transfers to the Neil Simon, you'd have to deal with Ticketmaster instead of Telecharge.

ETA: ha! you beat me to it!

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 1/7/10 at 10:36 PM

Fanb
#32Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 11:11pm

Thanks for this news! I hope it is true, and it would seem very admirable of ALW. Seems like it would be a way for him to give back to a community which has given him so much - and if it is because he loves "Finian's Rainbow" then it is a great way for him to give back.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#33Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 11:15pm

I am still skeptical of how true this is... but if it happens I will be overjoyed. It would be the best thing Andrew Lloyd Webber has ever done for me personally (and probably for theatre as a whole, lol).

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#34Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 11:40pm

Something smells funny.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#35Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/7/10 at 11:50pm

This news was on Datalounge's theatre gossip thread a day or two ago. For what it's worth, someone on that same theatre thread posted earlier this evening - pretty resolutely - that a Finian transfer is now off.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#36Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:10am

Yes, I wonder about how reliable these news are...I find it quite unlikely, as much as I would love this to happen.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#37Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:26am

For the poster that talked about how this would be impossible due to the fact that Finian's would be moving to a Nederlander house, you have to realize that that would be a non issue.

I was trying to think of another example but had no luck in doing so. But, the revival of Chicago originally opened up at The Richard Rodgers ( a Nederlander house) before moving to The Shubert and then The Ambassador Theatre. (Both, Shubert houses).

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

givesmevoice
#38Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:34am

I didn't say it was impossible. I said I was ignorant about the business aspect of things and wondered if it made a difference.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#39Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 1:48am

I don't believe a word of this.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#40Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 1:49am

If Andrew tosses off a few Mil
and the show tanks,
can he write it off?

This does seem like one of the great "rumors"
going around...

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#41Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 1:57am

What's strange is that when I read the thread title (and even a majority of the initial post), I just assumed it was Pgenre making a joke. Kind of like people posting that Ragtime will extend until 2012 in response to the "When will it close" threads. I'm happy to know it at least goes a little bit beyond here, though I'm still not holding my breath.

I don't really see Finian's moving, but I would love it to. Heck, as much as I know this is totally unrealistic, I wish it would stay alive here or even in a MUCH smaller theater. If a timeless show like The Fantasticks can survive forever Off-Broadway, why can't this classic, which is both family-friendly and actually fun for adults (as opposed to shows usually aimed at kids)? I know it never will (especially with a cast this rich), but I would love it to stay open by any means necessary. But hell, I felt the same way about Ragtime and now I'm crossing my fingers that THIS replaces it. Go figure.

I know the nature of theater is that things open, things close. Some stay open way past their prime (Phantom, Chicago depending on the stunt casting), some close far too soon. And some never even make it to Broadway, so to be perfectly honest I'm just happy I got to see this magnificent revival while I had the chance.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#42Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 7:03am

When this move does not work, Finian's next stop will be New World Stages.

Poster Emeritus

AnythingGoes2
#43Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 9:03am

Really Usful are in panicks about possibly not having The Neil Simon... they thought Ragtime would hold out until the Summer.

Somebody randomly mentioned to be that he is even now tempted to put in one of his old shows (or the recent Evita revival) to fill and hold the theatre.

Fosse76
#44Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:01am

"Pgenre where did you hear the information that they were in fact moving to the Neil SImon?"

The staff was informed another show was coming in in February. HOWEVER, they were NOT told what show is coming in.

mina3
#45Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 10:32am

Aha! This explains so much. I kept hearing things around my office about Finian's transferring and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why/where/when. Still not quite sure what the rationale is, but I think this plan is for real.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#46Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 11:01am

I don't know. But now I'm happy that I will be able to see FR after all since I arrive on Jan. 17!

Brick
#47Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 11:37am

What? ... This is bizarre.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#48Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:01pm

I know people involved in the administrative side of this production, and they're all pretty resolute that the closing date is the end of the production.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Princeton2
#49Why is FINIAN'S extending & moving to the Neil Simon?
Posted: 1/8/10 at 12:30pm

I would have thought Aaron Lazar was a hot favourite for Raoul in Love Never Dies as he has worked on it at workshop stage. Also as for the two leads going from London to New York, this may be happening now for all I know, but it definately wasnt a dead cert for a LONG time!

Videos