Posted: 3/20/11 at 2:18pm

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 11/14/11 at 02:18 PM

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#26Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 2:19pm

Pal Joey.

I just don't understand why it keeps getting rewrite after rewrite in hopes it will amount to something passable. It's a thoroughly unlikeable musical about thoroughly unlikeable people.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#27Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 2:25pm

I honestly have not seen anything on the stage that I can say I hated. I didn't enjoy 1776, the movie. I just remember finding it boring.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#28Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 2:28pm

Yes, it was Eden's assault on my ears and the whole "Anything you can scream I can scream louder, I can scream anything louder then you!". Combine that wit a retro 1960's hey we can make a costume or a prop out of anything, even trash and you had a Crapfest Supremo.

There were only two rows in the orchestra filled that night I saw it and I was seated in the center and couldn't leave. Oh it got a standing O that night. I stood and said "Oh, let me the F8ck outta here!"

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

tommyboy
#29Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 2:35pm

Blood Brothers

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#30Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 2:38pm

My most hated -

SUNSET BLVD - worst Tony winning musical ever! The heirs of Billy Wilder, William Holden and Gloria Swanson should sue the creators for defamation of character.

ASPECTS OF LOVE

WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND

BOMBAY DREAMS

YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN

THE ADDAMS FAMILY

and two others that I saw in try-outs that never made it to Broadway:

COPACABANA

HAPPY DAYS - the Musical

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#31Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 2:41pm

MEMPHIS is the only show I've ever walked out of.

fingerlakessinger Profile Photo
fingerlakessinger
#32Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 2:46pm

I know it is a show loved by many and I am certainly not bashing it nor it's appeal, however POTO is a show that I really wanted to walk out of.

Cats
Young Frankenstein
King and I

"Life in theater is give and take...but you need to be ready to give more then you take..."

#33Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:10pm

Never really seen anything terrible...but I've seen a middle school production of Thoroughly Modern Millie, and it might just have been the quality that got me to hate it, but it really just seemed too cheesy and perky to me. The music wasn't bad, though.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#34Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:14pm

frontrowcentre2 - I saw Happy Days and I absolutely despised it. It was a piece of trash. I have seen better sets at high school productions. Felicia Finley was the only good thing about that production.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#35Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:15pm

The only shows I wanted to walk out of (but unfortunately didn't):

Glory Days
Mama Mia!
Movin Out

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

secondarycharacter2 Profile Photo
secondarycharacter2
#36Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:18pm

im very surprised no one has said spiderman!

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#37Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:19pm

frontrowcentre2, I LOVE Copacabana!

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#38Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:19pm

LEGALLY BLONDE--Relentless hyperactivity, mediocre score, and...product placement! I was just so pissed leaving the theatre.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#39Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:25pm

I've already said it, but...

HOW TO SUCCEED.

Dated, Musty, Simplistic Music (I think I'm the only person that HATES the song COFFEE BREAK), Creaky, and Boring.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

ahhrealmonsters
#40Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:29pm

Spring Awakening and Billy Elliot

I can't stand either. I tried to like them.. I really did. I even saw Billy Elliot a second time hoping to like it.. They're both so awful. I've deleted most of Spring Awakening from my mind. Billy Elliot has the dullest book and most forgettable score.

inick122492 Profile Photo
inick122492
#41Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:39pm

GREASE

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#42Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:44pm

I think I'm the only person that HATES the song COFFEE BREAK

If I based my opinion on the ineffectual staging this one-time showstopper had in the 1995 (Broderck) revival, I might agree. I sat there wondering "THIS is the song that everyone was raving about in the original?" (And don't get me started on "Turkey Lurkey Time...)

I have seen two non-professional stagings of HOW TO SUCCEED where they made "Coffee Break" both funny and relevant. It CAN be done!

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#43Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:47pm

In no particular order:

Sideshow (I know some folks here love it, but it's lost on me)
Cats (I guess I must love my kids, because I sat through this)
Seussical (see Cats comment)
Tarzan (I let my daughter choose this, and I'll never forgive her)

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#44Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 3:50pm

"I have seen two non-professional stagings of HOW TO SUCCEED where they made "Coffee Break" both funny and relevant. It CAN be done!"

I saw it at Reprise! in LA and left at intermission, and I did it at Goodspeed, and still thought, "This song is just stuck in the middle of the show for no darn good reason."

I sort of felt like the songs were written before the script was finished.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

JillianSch Profile Photo
JillianSch
#45Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 4:02pm

I walked out of American Idiot...I still get headaches thinking of all the flashing lights.

beautywickedlover
#46Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 4:02pm

"Well when I saw BKLYN, I sat front row center while Eden Espinosa screamed at me for 100 intermissionless minutes"

That's what I felt when I saw Diana Degarmo in it. I enjoyed her on "Idol" and I am looking foreward to seeing her in "9 to 5," but I was disappointed when I saw her in BKLYN.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#47Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 4:05pm

Every few months when someone starts this thread with various titles, but the gist always being- What show do you not like?
My answer has always only ever been, The Lion King. I didn't officially hate it, but it was so boring, and I never want to see it again.
But now I can add another one to the list- finally saw Mama Mia and I hated. It is so boring and just does not work for me at all. If it weren't for several gorgeous chorus boys I would have stabbed my eyes out!
My friend and I were in such bad moods after the show we cancel our post plans and just went home.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#48Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 4:12pm

I cannot stress enough how much I hated Cats. And Jersey Boys wasn't no treat either.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#49Your Most Hated Musical
Posted: 3/20/11 at 4:38pm

13 (too many of my musical theater friends like this show), Cats, Jersey Boys, Bye Bye Birdie,and Spider Man: Turn Off the Dark.

Videos