pixeltracker

Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney- Page 2

Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#25Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:34pm

You people are forgetting that disney can do deep films.

Oh I know! UP is one of my favorite films, and that is quite deep for a Disney film. It's not Into the Woods being "deep" that's my concern. It's the idea that it's a show based on fairy tales (something Disney is WELL versed in), but in a very non-standard way. I just have a hard time reconciling those two ideas, which seem like polar opposites to me. Why not go with a different movie studio if you want to make a film of it?

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#26Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:38pm

From the sounds of it, it's Disney because that's where Marshall has a deal. If he was with a different studio, it'd be there, or if he wasn't pursuing the project, Disney wouldn't be doing it. It sounds like he and Lapine are taking the lead on this one, I wouldn't worry about Disney doing TOO much to "Disneyfy" it.

random person 112
#27Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:38pm

Because Disney has the funding and the intrest and after a movie like UP what a better way to follow than a deeper or different take on their own classic material, and to show they are far more capable and versatile than we believe Second, there the musical movie kings. I think if they do this right it could be great. But it could also de a disaster. I would say i can see what there thinking

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#28Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:40pm

Disney had very little hand in the actual creation of Up- that's all Pixar's doing. Disney does not get involved with what Pixar does.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#29Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:46pm

BWW, I am disappointed! 2 pages in and not a single fantasy cast list!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#30Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:48pm

If Disney tones down OR eliminates the deaths and/or darkness, I'll choke somebody.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#31Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:51pm

Imagine if this had been an animated film by Hayao Miyazaki. How great would that be?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#32Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:52pm

If it's the Lapine book/screenplay, I don't imagine that they will be able to "Disneyfy" it too much in the way we are all thinking. "Into The Woods" is a much better show than "Nine", with a better book and a better score. I am sure that we'll be seeing some great production values and, with the right cast, this could be a phenomenal movie.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#33Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:54pm

I know someone mentioned this on the first page, but given Marshall's involvement, Catherine Zeta-Jones will probably be a major possibility as The Witch. She would look absolutely stunning. I think she could pull off the role on film.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#34Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:55pm

Disney is perfectly capable of producing a "dark" film.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#35Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:56pm

Disney can and WILL go dark with this, I'm convinced.

It's obviously not for the same market as TANGLED or PRINCESS AND THE FROG. Consider instead the show "Once Upon A Time" on ABC, in which the Disney canon of fairy-tale interpretations is reimagined through a LOST-inspired prism of darkness and moral ambiguity. It's as dark, or even darker, than anything in Into The Woods.

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#36Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:57pm

If Disney is behind it, at least it has a decent shot of actually making it through production - I'm just worried about the second act. They wouldn't cut it, would they?

staunchcharacter Profile Photo
staunchcharacter
#37Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:57pm

I have this fear in the pit of my stomach that Helena Bonham Carter will be the witch...

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#38Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 9:58pm

darquegk, you are exactly right.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#39Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:00pm

Helena Bonham Carter would also look stunning as The Witch, but I don't think she could handle score, even with autotune and studio tricks. I much rather see CZJ in the role. At least she has some vocal ability, and with some studio tricks, she'd probably sound quite good.

Updated On: 1/10/12 at 10:00 PM

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#40Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:01pm

Disney is involved in Once Upon a Time, and it's pretty dark. With the success of that show, perhaps they thought the decision to make this movie was only logical on their part.

I'll offer up Marion Cotillard. Witch? Baker's Wife?
I bet Vanessa would want this. And Billy Porter.

FindingNamo
#41Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:02pm

"There are literally 0 details"

There are three details: Into the Woods, Rob Marshall, Disney.

Literally. In the literal sense of the word literally.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

staunchcharacter Profile Photo
staunchcharacter
#42Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:04pm

A friend just suggested John C. Reily as the baker to me.

jdtp12
#43Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:04pm

Any ideas about how they would approach the part of the narrator? Would it work to have him just talk to the audience?

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#44Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:06pm

Findingnamo - Now make an informed opinion with those 3 details. Sorry for my abuse of the word "literally."

Literally, I'm sorry.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#45Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:08pm

Sondheim's notes in Look, I Made a Hat seem to indicate that in the earlier version of the film script, at least in the new opening number, narration would be voice over.

broadwaybabytn Profile Photo
broadwaybabytn
#46Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:09pm

So do we think the Delacorte/Regent's Park production will happen as well as this?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#47Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:10pm

Yes of course. They are separate business entities. I don't think one is going to affect the other...(I'm not sure if this is what you were suggesting, maybe you just mean it seems quite 'lucky' to have both of these announced at the same time)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/10/12 at 10:10 PM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#48Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:14pm

Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney

Just a little bored on my behalf.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#49Rob Marshall Directing Into the Woods Film For Disney
Posted: 1/10/12 at 10:16pm

Yes of course- the film is likely a couple of years away from happening-though who knows perhaps the delacorte production will be an audition of sorts if some big names end up participating this summer (Zeta?)

I've read the proposes screenplay from the 90s and honestly thought it was pretty bad- hopefully it's completely rewritten for this adaptation. I don't think there is anything too dark for Disney but I'm sure a lot will be cut - the stage musical often runs 2:45-- the film will need to run way less

Videos