ON THE TOWN Reviews

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#26ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 10:26pm

OMG I hope they use that as the NYT pull quote. "A show about sex that you can take the whole family to!"

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#27ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 10:27pm

Everything it deserves and more - it's sad that to After Eight it might as well be the original Carrie. I suppose the original production is still on his mind.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

CATSNYrevival
#28ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 10:40pm

That's actually one of the best written reviews I've ever seen from Brantley. And it's actually a review! He actually talked about the production instead of attempting to be humorous. I think I'm going to read it a few more times. ON THE TOWN Reviews

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#29ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 10:44pm

Almost weeping with joy, for the cast and the creative staff, thinking of how Lenny and Betty and Adolph would be "kvelling" and how even Mr. Robbins would be proud.

Mostly Jerry would be focused on Megan Fairchild. He was very fond of taking dancers and making them stars. And what valentines the AP and the Post give to her! I hope she knows that she is what would make him happy.

But since Lenny and Jerry and Betty and Adolph aren't here to express their joy, I guess Hal Prince's note to the cast will have to suffice:

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#30ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 10:44pm

ON THE TOWN Reviews

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#31ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:03pm

I could not be happier!! Although Tony was out at yesterday's matinee, the show was great and totally deserves the rave from the Times. Yay!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#32ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:05pm

So based on the reviews, what nominations could anyone see this getting come awards season?

Revival of a Musical?
Featured Actress in a Musical?
Choreography?

CATSNYrevival
#33ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:09pm

All of them! Except best musical and the play categories. ON THE TOWN Reviews

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#34ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:10pm

This makes me so happy that's it's well liked to most critics and the revivals this season are PACKED and ready for anything! I think ON THE TOWN and THE KING AND I will be the two revivals butting heads for the 2014-15 season.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#35ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:11pm

Another rave from the Hollywood Reporter:

The revival’s producers have set themselves a challenge, filling a huge barn of a theater like the newly renamed Lyric (former home of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark) without star names to adorn the marquee. But On the Town is one of the great New York musicals, so targeting the tourist market might help. Even the most jaded audiences are likely to get a kick out of being just steps away from the actual setting of the pulsing “Times Square Ballet.” And hearing Gabey and his footloose Navy pals Ozzie (Clyde Alves) and Chip (Jay Armstrong Johnson) sing “New York, New York” is not so much a salute to “a helluva town” as an explosion of pure joy.

HOLLYWOOD REPORTER: 'On the Town': Theater Review

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#36ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:18pm

I didn't love the show as much as I loved it at Barrington, but it had a lot of strong features. Three cheers to this highly and multi talented cast. I want a clear head and to come back and reevaluate the show in the winter.

It holds such a special place in my heart. I'll love it no matter what, but I want to be speechless again after seeing it...like it dif at BSC.

OTT, I believe in you!

CATSNYrevival
#37ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:21pm

Can they please announce a cast album now? And I want that arrangement of the Star Spangled Banner and as much dance music as they can fit. Do it right!

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#38ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:22pm

That note from Hal Prince is so cool.

Reading all the reviews are really making me consider going back east to see the show again. While it's still fresh with the original cast. Damn.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
swoboda Profile Photo
swoboda
#40ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:56pm

Couldn't agree with you more CATS! Brantley's review is just beautifully written. Very uplifting and I share his view though his eloquence far surpasses mine. Cool note from Jerome Robbins.. Where did you dig that up?

Tigger Profile Photo
Tigger
#41ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/16/14 at 11:57pm

YAY!!! Fantastic!! Brantley really got it right this time.Bravo to all involved and I can't wait to see it again at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks to Pal Joey for the link to the opening night video and the Hal Prince note to the cast. Now that's cool!!!

"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is..." Noel Coward-Private Lives

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#42ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:06am

Congrats to the cast, crew and creatives of this wonderful show!

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#43ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:19am

"Cool note from Jerome Robbins.. Where did you dig that up?"

This made me LOL (The Hal Prince note is very cool, however.)

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#44ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:21am

quick question, did the winner of SYTYCD join the company?? (sorry, I don't remember who it is)

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

getatme
#45ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:25am

He's supposed to join in January.

Feste Profile Photo
Feste
#46ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:38am

So glad I already have my tickets!! This show is gonna sell like hotcakes now!!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#47ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 12:58am

SYTYCD has a tour to do first with the top 10.

matineeidol2591
#48ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 1:29am

I was at opening this evening. It was a joyous night. Thrilled for everyone involved, they deserve every bit of this praise.

swoboda Profile Photo
swoboda
#49ON THE TOWN Reviews
Posted: 10/17/14 at 1:32am

Well, my mistake! But if his heart was still beating Jerome Robbins (r.i.p.) would probably be heartened by this revival almost as much as a very much alive Hal Prince!

Videos