pixeltracker

GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!- Page 2

GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#25GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 7:44pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "everythingtaboo said: "Bravo to a run of over two years to a pretty original new musical."

Even though it was suppose to be an adaptation of the film Kind Hearts & Coronets, but the authors couldn't get the rights to it, so they went back to the film's source material and decided to do an adaptation of that instead.

"

That's why I said pretty original. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

David2 Profile Photo
David2
#26GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 7:49pm

This is so sad. I really loved this show and am very glad that it ran this long! But I'm sorry to say that I was also on team Beautiful....

evic
#27GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:01pm

4 months advance notice of closing????? I assume they are expecting people to rush to get tickets....I didn't care for it and thought the reviews were wayyyy over the top in their praise...i always thought it was because it was British themed and we all know how the critics just love anything British.  I still defy anyone to hum or sing one of the songs.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#28GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:04pm

evic said: "i always thought it was because it was British themed and we all know how the critics just love anything British.  I still defy anyone to hum or sing one of the songs.

"

Well except for the fact that the NYC critics notoriously mostly hated all the UK import musicals of the 80s/90s (Hell, Frank Rich put up a crusade against them and would go out of his way to praise ANYTHING American no matter what it's merits.)  *confused*

ebontoyan
#29GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:06pm

I thought this show was overrated and too high pitched. Good that it lasted two years but not surprised Alladin and Beautiful will outlast it. And I definitely enjoyed myself at Alladin and Beautiful

Updated On: 9/8/15 at 08:06 PM

Consistency
#30GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:07pm

"what some people find to be a very overrated show."

To be fair, this could be said about literally any acclaimed musical ever. No matter how seemingly "universally" beloved and acclaimed a show may be, there are always going to be dissenters - and that's a perfectly fine and natural (and healthy) thing.   

"I just really don't like seeing people on these boards trashing on hits"

That's too bad? From where I'm standing, though, there's really not much of any correlation between box office success and artistic quality - and that holds true for every artistic medium (theater, film, literature, etc.) If anything, the fact of something being a hit should make criticism less hurtful - some negative words about Phantom on an internet message board aren't going to do anything to change the fact of the massive worldwide popularity of that show. 

(And, for the record, I say this as someone who likes almost all those hits you listed. Gentlemen's Guide is better than both Aladdin and Beautiful - in my opinion - but I don't begrudge any of those shows their success.)

Updated On: 9/8/15 at 08:07 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#31GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:51pm

Does anyone know exactly how many performances the show will have done by closing? I'm really, really hoping it will hit the 1,000 mark...

Regardless, I'm so happy this wonderful little show saw a rather happy, lengthy life on Broadway.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#32GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:51pm

Does anyone know exactly how many performances the show will have done by closing? I'm really, really hoping it will hit the 1,000 mark...

Regardless, I'm so happy this wonderful little show saw a rather happy, lengthy life on Broadway.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#33GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:55pm

The press release says "At that time the production will have played nearly 1,000 performances," so it won't be hitting that mark. Still a run to be very proud of, though!

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#34GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 8:55pm

JoseLee_ said: "I saw this show twice. It was boring both times. I was team Beautiful for the tony win.. sorry, not sorry.

"

Me too... I really wanted to like Gentlemen's Guide but it just wasn't for me. I wanted it to be something other than what it was. Just my opinion, I know many enjoyed it.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#35GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 9:03pm

I can do that EASILY with

Youj're a Dysquith

Poison in My Pocket

Better with a Man

I've Decided to Marry You.

I loved the show, saw it several times and the company I was with adored it as well.  It had a great run.  (As for the other shows being bandied something akin to sticking one tongue out? I have no interest in Aladdin and while I enjoyed Jesse Mueller, I found Beautiful somewhat boring.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#36GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 9:07pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Does anyone know exactly how many performances the show will have done by closing? I'm really, really hoping it will hit the 1,000 mark...

My math says 905 assuming they don't have any 9 performance weeks around the holidays.

NotTheComfyChair Profile Photo
NotTheComfyChair
#37GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 9:08pm

I wonder how much of an impact Something Rotten had on the GGLAM box office. To me, it would me appeal to the same sort of audience. I preferred GGLAM to Something Rotten as I thought it was more consistently funny but that's my take. I wish there was room for both but.... Ah well.

Any thoughts?

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#38GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 9:43pm

the problem with this show it that it's neither a tourists' show or a family show. That hurt them. At the same time if they didn't win the Tony, it would have closed a year ago.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

neonlightsxo
#39GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 9:45pm

Jeffrey, if you can't stand the heat, get off BWW. Seriously. Go. 

They had a great run, due to the fab work of Joey Parnes and team keeping the show running through the Tonys. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#40GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 9:46pm

This is the show that set the recent model of limping through the Tonys and hoping to win... and it paying off spectacularly. But then shows like HIV and others seemed to think that was a workable model for shows that didn't pay off as well once you actually saw them... but certainly more shows will keep thinking they will be the next GG in this regard.

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#41GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 9:51pm

I'd imagine the Kerr will get a limited engagement play in the spring, then Falsettos in the fall?

carnzee
#42GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:09pm

JBroadway, I was going by what playbill.com has listed on their site for Crucible. Remember, it's by the same producer so maybe that is how they are able to accomplish the transition so quickly.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#43GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:14pm

neonlightsxo said: "Jeffrey, if you can't stand the heat, get off BWW. Seriously. Go. They had a great run, due to the fab work of Joey Parnes and team keeping the show running through the Tonys."

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely applaud the producers for being able to keep the show open long enough to make it to the Tonys. I haven't seen it yet (I'll be catching the tour in Durham next month), but from what I've seen, it looks way overhyped.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#44GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:25pm

I only just saw this show for the first time recently and really loved it. I'm a big fan of music hall and was thrilled to hear a score largely sung by two sopranos and a high tenor. The projections and sets were great. They toyed around a lot with Gothic and Edwardian horror tropes with the silly sensibility of the 1970s height of Hammer sensationalism. I'll try to squeeze this one in again before it closes.

asmith0307
#45GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:29pm

carnzee said: "JBroadway, I was going by what playbill.com has listed on their site for Crucible. Remember, it's by the same producer so maybe that is how they are able to accomplish the transition so quickly.

"

The shortest turn-arounds that I can think of in recent seasons have all been 2 weeks. But it's also the same director, correct? It wouldn't seem smart to me to put two revivals by the same director, producer, and playwright back to back at the same theatre in the same season unless you were promoting it as a double-bill.

Updated On: 9/8/15 at 10:29 PM

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#46GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:42pm

You can not claim a show is overhyped if you haven't seen it. That's like judging a show, two layers removed. It's nonsensical.

And is Gentleman's Guide even that hyped. I don't know anyone who loves it. I know lots of people who like it.

Updated On: 9/8/15 at 10:42 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#47GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:46pm

^I said the show 'looks' overhyped, NOT is overhyped. Which is why I'm planning to catch the show on tour to see it for myself.

FishermanBob Profile Photo
FishermanBob
#48GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:50pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "^I said the show 'looks' overhyped, NOT is overhyped. Which is why I'm planning to catch the show on tour to see it for myself.

Exactly how would a show you haven't seen "look" overhyped to you? I' m really curious.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#49GENTLEMAN'S GUIDE Sets Closing Date!
Posted: 9/8/15 at 10:52pm

Just from the clips I've seen of it from the Tony Awards, Macy's Parade, Today Show, etc.

Videos