pixeltracker

2016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade- Page 2

2016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade

VintageSnarker
#252016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 8:48am

Are the announced shows the complete list? I'm surprised there aren't more new shows in the lineup, particularly shows like In Transit and maybe A Bronx Tale that might benefit from the exposure.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#262016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 9:23am

It does seem like a short list. 

That performance by Holiday Inn was wonderful. I need to see it now.

Just give the world Love.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#272016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 9:25am

Agreed on the Holiday Inn performance. Very good. Waitress wasn't very good but it seems like to me that they always have a hard time choosing songs.

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#282016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 9:37am

Did I miss The Color Purple performance on CBS?

Buffalo Bill Profile Photo
Buffalo Bill
#292016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 9:42am

CATS just killed it. Mamie Parris is so good each night it's thrilling.  We (cast and crew at The Simon) are having a total blast with this show! 

From President Obama: "Over the years, musicals have been at the forefront of our social consciousness, challenging stereotypes, shaping our opinions about race and religion, death and disease, power and politics."

bwayobsessed
#302016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 9:51am

Ariana grande sounds like she is restraining her voice 

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#312016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 9:57am

So many feelings for the Hairspray Live performance-mostly excitement.

Maddie Baillio is perfect as Tracy and it's so great to see Harvey Fierstein return as Edna!

Kristin Chenoweth and Dove Cameron are so cute as Velma and Amber. I want Kristin's dress

I wasn't impressed with the guy who's Link and Ariana Grande was really terrible here. Be louder and please have fun with it!

Littleshopofcarrie Profile Photo
Littleshopofcarrie
#322016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 9:59am

Hoping that Ariana Grande has more energy by the Telecast!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#332016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:01am

Yeah, she sounded the weakest off all of them.

Also, I was not into the woman playing Grizabella. Her voice was fine but why don't they make her look more worn down? Maybe she does onstage? I was ok with the choreography until they threw in that signature arm jerk thing Blankenbuehler does. JMO 

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#342016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:02am

That Hairspray number did nothing for me. 

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#352016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:05am

That Macy's Believe commercial with the man aging choked me up a bit!

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#362016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:07am

SO happy that they're sticking with the original choreography for Hairspray! But yeah, there were a few folks in that number who weren't quite "Full Out," including Ariana, Jennifer, and the guy playing Link. Hope they have a bit more spark during the actual broadcast!

GottaHaveAGimmick Profile Photo
GottaHaveAGimmick
#372016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:16am

Loved the nods to John Waters films located in storefront shops in Hairspray street set: Eddie's Eggs and Divine Pet Food. Too funny.

The actual performance should be great. Jennifer Hudson, as usual, was awesome.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#382016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:24am

"But yeah, there were a few folks in that number who weren't quite "Full Out," including Ariana, Jennifer, and the guy playing Link. Hope they have a bit more spark during the actual broadcast!"

Yep, it did not seem to have the energy normally associated with that song. The highlight for me was seeing one of the guys in the ensemble who wore glasses, my oldest daughter was his dance teacher for a couple of years.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#392016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:26am

"That performance by Holiday Inn was wonderful. I need to see it now."

Loved it also, best Broadway performance today.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#402016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:30am

Littleshopofcarrie said: "Did I miss The Color Purple performance on CBS?

"

I haven't seen it yet

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#412016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:37am

SO happy that they're sticking with the original choreography for Hairspray!

That's simply because the original Broadway production's choreographer Jerry Mitchell is HAIRSPRAY Live's choreographer.  For obvious reasons, the broadcast will showcase the original Broadway production's choreography.   Albeit with some additions but in whole expect to see his original choreography.   

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#422016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 10:40am

I loved Mamie Parrish as Grizabella.  Her voice and acting is incredible.  The only part that I disagree about  her makeup is that bleeding lip.  I personally don't think it's necessary.  Watching Paramour right now.  They're incredible!   I feel for those performers who wear light costumes in that cold weather.

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

cmassoud
#432016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 11:16am

Does anybody know if they (NBC and CBS) upload the performances to youtube later? I can't watch this morning but I'm dying to see them.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#442016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 11:33am

Hairspray Live is up (linked in this BWW article). Doesn't look like it was an official upload so there's a chance it will be taken down.

I really want to see The Color Purple bit - does anyone have links?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#452016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 11:35am

cmassoud said: "Does anybody know if they (NBC and CBS) upload the performances to youtube later? I can't watch this morning but I'm dying to see them.

"

The networks usually don't but the shows themselves will share their own or a fan posted one. 

Mamie made me cry and say Leona who?

Paramour was great, they managed to squeeze every bit of the show they could in there. 

Hairspray was only a sneak peek, I can't wait until they're singing live. But it looks good so far.

Holiday Inn was good, but quite honestly those are the best bits of the show.

Waitress was fine too, considering I doesn't lend itself well to big parade numbers  

Meanwhile, over on CBS, nuDewey already sounds like the show is killing his voice. Makes me nervous. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BrodyFosse123
#462016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:24pm

Regarding the HAIRSPRAY number and it's inconsistencies, keep in mind that the number was performed from Los Angeles which is 3 hours behind NY therefore the entire cast for this performance needed to be in Hair & Make-Up possibly around 5am.  The sun was still rising hence the shadows on the performers which I'm sure wasn't accounted for when they were doing camera blocking the day before.  Also, they not only were lip-syncing to a special pre-recorded track but a number out-of-context.  For all the obvious reasons, on the broadcast day their vocals AND energy will be unparalleled due to the adrenaline pumping that by the time they get to "You Can't Stop the Beat", the soundstage will explode (the number is performed on The Corny Collins Show set not the exterior Baltimore set as in the parade).  

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#472016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:34pm

^ Didn't they record the number a few days ago? I remember seeing posts about them filming their parade number earlier this week.

BrodyFosse123
#482016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:48pm

Photos being posted was for the promos being filmed and the most recent posts in the last few days were photos of them rehearsing (camera blocking) for the parade.  

brettcx5
#492016 Macy Thanksgiving Day Parade
Posted: 11/24/16 at 12:55pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Regarding the HAIRSPRAY number and it's inconsistencies, keep in mind that the number was performed from Los Angeles which is 3 hours behind NY therefore the entire cast for this performance needed to be in Hair & Make-Up possibly around 5am.  The sun was still rising hence the shadows on the performers which I'm sure wasn't accounted for when they were doing camera blocking the day before.  Also, they not only were lip-syncing to a special pre-recorded track but a number out-of-context.  For all the obvious reasons, on the broadcast day their vocals AND energy will be unparalleled due to the adrenaline pumping that by the time they get to "You Can't Stop the Beat", the soundstage will explode (the number is performed on The Corny Collins Show set not the exterior Baltimore set as in the parade).  

"I think it was pre recorded a few days ago, because JHud said she was traveling home for thanksgiving on Instagram yesterday

Videos