pixeltracker

Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert- Page 2

Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#25Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/7/18 at 10:24pm

Liza's Headband said: "Call_me_jorge said: "“Live! In Concert?” Will this be more of a concert than an actual theatre performance?"

Correct. It's a "staged" concert; not a theatrical performance or full-scale production. Not sure how everyone is missing this. There are going to be a lot of disappointed musical theatre nerds come April....
"

Hmmm. Don't know how I missed that .. but I did. A concert? Good. Now I can miss the show too. Sounds BORING.

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#26Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/8/18 at 3:23am

I'm excited that there will be a live audience actually watching the performance for once. I've hated how the past few live musicals have had an audience separated from the actual performance just to cheer on cue before commercial.

Liza's Headband
#27Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/8/18 at 5:26pm

But will you still feel that way when they're all clapping and dancing and singing along, since it's... ya know... an actual concert? Prepare yourself. 

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#28Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/8/18 at 9:08pm

Are there any rumors floating around as to who’s going to be Judas? I know people have mentioned Adam Lambert but then others would remind them that he’s currently touring with Queen. However, Queen has no tour dates scheduled between March 17 and April 6...... which makes me wonder if this could be why? I want to know if there was ever any shows scheduled during that time frame and that changed somewhat recently..... Which could be very telling.

jimmycurry01
#29Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/8/18 at 9:22pm

Liza's Headband, it seems you were right, there is a lot more confusion surrounding the concert status than I perceived.

jimmycurry01
#31Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/9/18 at 1:11am

yknot said: "Is La Chanze playing Judas?!?

https://www.facebook.com/lachanze/posts/10215157858804227
"

Doubtful. It feels to me that she is saying that she would love to play the role, and that she is looking forward to seeing the concert. NBC will not cast a Broadway star in the role. It will be a bigger name.

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#32Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/9/18 at 9:26am

Sara will most definitely make me tune in, as someone who isn’t a huge fan of the show. Holding out for Adam Lambert, he will no doubt be wonderful!

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#33Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/9/18 at 9:58am

I agree with those who feel that the recent spate of "live musical" broadcasts on network television (as opposed to PBS-type airings) will likely result in inaccurate expectations for this outing. In general, I believe the smaller, niche audiences who watch shows like "Great Performances" and "Live from Lincoln Center" have a longer attention span and require less bells and whistles than the average network television viewer who requires spectacle in order to maintain interest.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#34Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/9/18 at 10:33am

yknot said: "Is La Chanze playing Judas?!?

https://www.facebook.com/lachanze/posts/10215157858804227
"

No she's not, she updated the text to clarify.

I'm pretty sure they can get away with casting a non-star in the role given the current roster but LaChanze is not it. I personally wouldn't mind some of the Hamilton cast being tapped but they are not really suited for rock-opera voices.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

#35Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/9/18 at 9:26pm

The show is fully staged and has an entire Broadway level design team.  I wouldnt panic.

nmlhats
#36Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/9/18 at 11:30pm

Remember that JCS began as a concept album, not a show, so it does not strike me as bad or disappointing if it isn't "fully staged."

bear88
#37Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/11/18 at 3:41am

If it's more of a concert, it won't matter how many times it's promoted as a concert. Many people will tune in expecting something similar to the TV musicals they've seen. That might be a problem but NBC, along with a black Jesus, but it's not my problem.

It seems like Jesus Christ Superstar might work better on television as a more of a concert. I tend to grade these network live musicals on a pretty steep curve. It's not like watching She Loves Me on PBS.

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#38Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/11/18 at 5:38am

I think John's voice is too hoarse for the role. Not the right type of voice for the material at all. 

Sara should be fine, although I do fear for her range and laid back approach in singing. Her voice is very low and she switches into her head voice very soon which is quite unstable too.

I wonder if they will lower the whole score for them, to fit their limited range and laid back/lazy approach of singing? I've never heard either of them sing a long, strong, clear, clean note, and this score is full of them.

Updated On: 1/20/18 at 05:38 AM

jimmycurry01
#39Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/11/18 at 9:59pm

Dave28282 said: "I think John's voice is to hoarse for the role. Not the right type of voice for the material at all.

"

Too hoarse for the role? It isn't written for a polished Broadway voice. It is written for a rock and roll voice. When you listen to Ian Gillian, Jeff Fenholt, or Ted Neeley, none of them have that polished big Broadway voice that you hear in later incarnations. Certainly, none of those three sound any more hoarse than John Legend; in fact, Ted Neeley is probably the most hoarse of the bunch, and he is typically considered to be definitive in the role.

Here, listen to the three originals and see if you can hear where I'm coming from, then compare them to John Legend. I think he will be more than just fine.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#40Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/12/18 at 8:08am

Well, I dunno if he'll be "more than just fine," the role is very much out of his range. He can barely manage a quavery, thin F, and the role calls for at least one High G and even, if memory serves, an A above high C. Without the screams, it won't be particularly interesting, and I would wager that if they lower the keys, it's going to be a non-event like Madonna's vocals in Evita, sucking all the excitement out of it.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky
Updated On: 1/12/18 at 08:08 AM

nmlhats
#41Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/13/18 at 2:01pm

jimmycurry01 said: "Dave28282 said: "I think John's voice is to hoarse for the role. Not the right type of voice for the material at all.

"

Too hoarse for the role? It isn't written for a polishedBroadway voice. It is written for a rock and roll voice. When you listento Ian Gillian, Jeff Fenholt, or Ted Neeley, none of themhave that polished big Broadway voice that you hear in later incarnations. Certainly, none of those three sound any more hoarse than John Legend; in fact, Ted Neeley is probably the most hoarse of the bunch, and he is typically considered to be definitive in the role.

Here, listen to the three originalsand see if you can hear where I'm coming from, then compare them toJohn Legend. I think he will be more than just fine.
"

Ian Gillian FTW

VintageSnarker
#42Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/20/18 at 12:03am

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "Well, I dunno if he'll be "more than just fine," the role is very much out of his range. He can barely manage a quavery, thin F, and the role calls for at least one High Gand even, if memory serves, an A above high C. Without the screams, it won't be particularly interesting, and I would wager that if they lower the keys, it's going to be a non-event like Madonna's vocals inEvita, sucking all the excitement out of it."

Yes. Sara will be fine. But as for the rest of the show, I'm waiting for casting from someone capable of screlting his/her face off. Evita is the only ALW show I genuinely like but I can get behind JCS if there's some drama. So far I'm not getting that from the casting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-4O-4SRv6o

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#43Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/20/18 at 11:23am

Sara's a great choice.  What about Leslie Odom Jr or Eric Nally of Foxy Shazam for Judas?  Adam Lambert would be a good choice, I'd just love to see something a little more out of left field! 

Broadway World's Fireman.
Updated On: 1/20/18 at 11:23 AM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#44Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 1/20/18 at 1:43pm

Left field pop star with the right kind of voice? Nate Ruess. Make it happen.

vampire musical
#45Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 2/2/18 at 10:08am

Riedel is saying Judas might be played by Luis Fonsi of "Despacito" fame. Not excited about that choice if this is happening... https://nypost.com/2018/02/01/despacito-singer-luis-fonsi-eyed-for-jesus-christ-superstar/

Updated On: 2/2/18 at 10:08 AM

TheresaG Profile Photo
TheresaG
#46Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 2/2/18 at 10:17am

vampire musical said: "Riedel is saying Judas will be played by Luis Fonsi of "Despacito" fame. Not excited about that choice if this is happening...https://nypost.com/2018/02/01/despacito-singer-luis-fonsi-eyed-for-jesus-christ-superstar/"

Also not excited about what I read here. Don't see the connection at all for this guy taking on a role that so many who are available have proven they can do so well. If he gets it, it will probably be because NBC is after ratings rather than a quality performance.

whatacharacter Profile Photo
whatacharacter
#47Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 2/2/18 at 10:22am

Not knowing anything about Luis Fonsi beyond Despacito, which, while catchy, has about a five note range, I did my youtube homework.  While not my first choice, he does have some tenor chops and can at least hit the notes...  which I still question with Legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRGBcr_gJc

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#48Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 2/2/18 at 10:30am

This needs to be stopped immediately. Luis Fonsi, not the production. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

vampire musical
#49Sara Bareilles to Play Mary Magdalene in Jesus Christ Superstar Live! in Concert
Posted: 2/2/18 at 10:31am

whatacharacter said: "Not knowing anything about Luis Fonsi beyond Despacito, which, while catchy, has about a five note range, I did my youtube homework. While not my first choice, he does have some tenor chops and can at least hit the notes... which I still question with Legend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hRGBcr_gJc
"

Ok. This makes me feel a little better if he ends up being the choice. But the role should go to a Broadway person with a blow-your-socks-off tenor. There's already enough stars for the ratings. Now they need someone who can SING. 

Videos