Carmen Jones Thread

VintageSnarker
#25Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 12:56am

I hope it's both because I'm not going to have time for this until July and I never win anything on TodayTix. Carmen Jones Thread

CoreyRyan3
#26Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 12:56am

Was it difficult at all? never done the TodayTix rush. Gonna try for Saturday matinee, I think. Just 10AM on the morning of the show you want to see?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 12:58am

I made sure to be on there at 10am sharp.

CoreyRyan3
#28Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 1:16am

Great, thank you. Also, were there any additional fees or just $20 exactly?

Jordan Catalano
#29Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 6:49am

With fees, it was $27.50

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#30Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 7:18am

VintageSnarker said: "The website says this about rush: "Subject to availability, $30 rush tickets are available in person at the box office one hour prior to curtain. Limit 1 ticket per person."

Is it only TodayTix now?
"

They do offer rush tickets at the box office an hour before curtain, but they're $40. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#31Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 8:23am

I've rushed in person many times at CSC. They are really nice about it. Even when it's sold out, they will put you on the wait list, and any seats that open up are sold as rush tickets to the wait list. And there are almost always a few cancellations or otherwise open seats. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#32Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 4:23pm

Are they using the Overture for this production?

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#33Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/14/18 at 4:40pm

Ado Annie D'Ysquith said: "CARMEN JONES is one show in particular that continually fascinates me. The classical music of an incredibly famous opera gets new English lyrics (and a change of setting)by a musical theatre giant. It sounds like the nuttiest idea on paper, and yet it worked.

Has anybody else attempted to do something of this nature? Someonegive "Marriage of Figaro" a new libretto and a gay pride spin? I wonder if lightning could strike twice...
"

Yes, two attempts, one very analogous, the other semi-.

My Darlin' Aida based on Verdi's Aida had 89 performances at the Winter Garden in 1955.  The show used Verdi's score and like Carmen Jones was set mostly in the American south.  

Less similarly, The Hot Mikado premiered in Washington in 1986, had a West End run in 1995, and has been performed some since

Alfie6
#34Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/15/18 at 10:42am

I thought this was a beautiful production that flew by, it was about 95 mins total no intermission. Yes, they use the overture but not fully, it is a much shortened version. This reminded me of something in between an Encores show and a York Theater Mufti production. There really isn't much of a set and the costumes are nothing special but the cast drives it home. I don't see this appearing on Broadway or off-Broadway again anytime soon and it's definitely worth a ticket. Clifton Duncan was just terrific. 

On an administrative note, you get the program after the show which is a photocopied piece of paper, CSC is phasing out all programs and you have to follow a link to get it electronically. http://classicstage.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Carmen-Jones-Letter-Size-UP-TO-DATE-612.pdf

Jordan Catalano
#35Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/15/18 at 11:28am

I spoke to Anika, and she told me she’s going to do everything she can to ensure a cast recording is made.

NoName3 Profile Photo
NoName3
#36Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/15/18 at 11:46am

henrikegerman said: "Less similarly, The Hot Mikado premiered in Washington in 1986, had a West End run in 1995, and has been performed some since."

That 1986 Hot Mikado began as an attempt to revive 1939's The Hot Mikado, which had been produced on Broadway by Mike Todd starring Bill "Bojangles" Robinson.  Very little of the original performance materials could be found, though, so an entirely new adaptation was created.

The Hot Mikado came about when Todd tried but failed to buy the rights to the previous year's The Swing Mikado, which was a production of the WPA's Federal Theatre Project.  It was a hit in Chicago and then moved to New York. The two shows ran concurrently on Broadway for awhile but then Todd struck a deal with the 1939 World's Fair to play The Hot Mikado there.  It was a big hit at the Fair,  playing 4 shows a day for 2 seasons.

Updated On: 6/15/18 at 11:46 AM

VintageSnarker
#37Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/15/18 at 5:28pm

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully it isn't impossible to get a ticket in July once word of mouth spreads.

The bit about the programs is weird. Though I suppose my Playbill collection is big enough.

cjmclaughlin10
#38Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/16/18 at 11:11am

I’m going to try the in person rush option because I keep losing out through Today Tix!!! I would love to pare this with my matinee of Sugar in Our Wounds

Harriet Craig Profile Photo
Harriet Craig
#39Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/16/18 at 4:08pm

FWIW, the Theatermania discount code says it's only good for preview performances, through June 26, but I just used it to buy a ticket for the July 5 performance, and it worked.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#40Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/16/18 at 8:04pm

I saw this last night. It's a lovely little production. They've created a really effective environment in the theatre that's both minimalistic but also immersive. There's a band of 6 playing the score. It fills the theatre nicely. A quick snippet of the overture is there at the top and the show runs about 95 minutes. I'm certain there were substantial cuts, but the score seemed to remain intact. There was very little dialogue so I think most of the book was what was cut. The singing is divine. Such beautiful classical voices. Anika is wonderful as always, but she doesn't overpower the rest of the cast at all. It really feels like an ensemble. I don't think this will move to Broadway. It's a very small production and the show feels very short. It's perfect for the space it's in. I hope they record the score.

That being said, the lack of a playbill is disappointing. They have a little cardstock slip in the lobby with the artwork that I was able to trim the edges of to fit in my playbill binder.

Jordan Catalano
#41Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/16/18 at 10:10pm

I got a Playbill when the show let out. They had them stacked up by the ticket window.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#42Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/16/18 at 10:15pm

Yeah they're photocopies. I just wish they had real playbills, especially considering how lovely the show was.

Jordan Catalano
#43Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/16/18 at 10:32pm

Oh. Yeah, it would have been nice for this production.

AlfredDrakeII
#44Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/22/18 at 8:02am

Bump...

Anymore reports on this????

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#45Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/22/18 at 10:18am

I thought this was a really stunning production of a show we never get the chance to see. Beautifully sung, beautifully staged, and how beautiful the entire show sounds! That six-piece band is really filling that space tremendously.

Anika Noni Rose is excellent as Carmen Jones, but honestly, the runaway performance of the night was that entire ensemble, especially Soara-Joye Ross, who triumphantly led "Beat Out Dat Rhythm on a Drum."

Definitely enjoyed this one.

Relevance81491
#46Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/27/18 at 11:24am

really looking forward to reading reviews tonight!!!!

use code 4THOFJULY for $40 tickets 7/1-7/3

kmissa
#47Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/27/18 at 1:12pm

Thanks for sharing!! I missed out on the TDF tickets that were listed Monday. Fingers crossed these are good seats.

cjmclaughlin10
#48Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/27/18 at 10:20pm

Brantley loves it https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/27/theater/review-carmen-jones-anika-noni-rose-john-doyle.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftheater&action=click&contentCollection=theater®ion=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#49Carmen Jones Thread
Posted: 6/28/18 at 8:27pm

Extended into August!

Woohoo! Now I can go

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Videos