pixeltracker

Ivo van Hove Will Direct 2020 Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY- Page 2

Ivo van Hove Will Direct 2020 Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY

Solipsist234
#25BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:13pm

Gizmo6 said: "Fantastic. So bored of replica productions. Beyond still running productions (Chicago excluded) Reinvent, its theatre, it’s living, it’s not a museum or a graveyard. "

^This.

I'm intrigued in how we as a generation are going to reminagine West Side Story as a whole. With Spielberg directing the remake and Ivo van Hove doing this production, I have a feeling that for the first time in the 60 years that this show has existed, we could be getting entirely new interpretations and choreography for this work. I welcome really any choice to reinvent West Side Story (to any of you who saw the Signature's production of WSS in Arlington, you know what I'm talking about!)

Updated On: 7/12/18 at 01:13 PM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#26BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:18pm

I for one am excited. I’ve only seen the movie; never a stage production. And I’ve never seen an Ivo van Howe production. So to me, this could potentially be the best of both worlds.

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#27BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:19pm

David Saint, literary executor of the Arthur Laurents Estate, added in a statement, "Arthur always believed the only reason to revive West Side Story on Broadway was to bring a new perspective to the material. Ivo van Hove is sure to do just that."

LOL
Arthur would have never allowed this.

BwayLB
#28BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:20pm

Jonwo said: "Van Hove directinga musical will be interesting but I'm not sure ifthey can reinvent it radically since the Jerome Robbins choreography has to be kept. I'm looking forward to seeing how it's done because I think WSS was in danger of becoming a museum piece with productions that were simply replicas of the original with tweaks."

Jerome Robbins dancing is perhaps some of the most expressive choreography I have ever seen on stage or screen.

Solipsist234
#29BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:22pm

Tag said: "David Saint, literary executor of theArthur LaurentsEstate, added in a statement, "Arthur always believed the only reason to revive West Side Story on Broadway was to bring a new perspective to the material.Ivo van Hoveis sure to do just that."

LOL
Arthur would have never allowed this.
"

Ikr!?!?!? Arthur Laurents was very much a traditionalist in how he directed, keeping mostly to how the production was originally performed in its first incarnation (see: Gypsy, West Side Story) But now that he's dead and gone, I guess it was about time to finally reinvent some of these musicals, instead of becoming "museum pieces", as another poster pointed out.

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#30BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:29pm

I’m really intrigued by this news

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#31BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:34pm

Is this ivos first musical?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#32BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:46pm

"Museum piece...bla bla bla... fresh interpretation...bla bla bla... cut half the text...bla bla bla... reorchestrate it with piano and kazoo...bla bla bla... take away the shoes... bla bla bla... it's brilliant!"

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#33BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:55pm

You guys can skip this, keep your memories of the original production, and leave the tickets for the rest of us who actually want their revivals to REVIVE the classics, not just keep them on life support forever. I haven’t always been the biggest fan of van Hove’s approach to classic American texts, but he is certainly never a safe choice.

Gizmo6
#34BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:56pm

newintown said: ""Museum piece...bla bla bla... fresh interpretation...bla bla bla... cut half the text...bla bla bla... reorchestrate it with piano and kazoo...bla bla bla... take away the shoes... bla bla bla... it'sbrilliant!""

You should read Filippo Tomasso Marinetti. 

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#35BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:56pm

I for one am looking forward to this. There is also an updated version of West Side Story that's gonna be seen around the country directed by Francesca Zambello

https://dctheatrescene.com/2018/07/10/review-west-side-story-at-glimmerglass-festival/

So between these 2 productions and the upcoming film...it's West Side Story mania

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:57pm

Considering the devastation in Puerto Rico and the immigration crisis, it's not surprising that the show is being given more attention.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

The_Spielers_2017
#37BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:58pm

This is completely out of left field, but with the current state of politics, i wouldn't be surprised if this got very suddenly greenlit.

Also, I'd bet the farm that Rudin closes Carousel for this.

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#38BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 1:58pm

Will the finale involve expressive dancing in a shower of blood as Tony’s body is dragged away?

I kid. I am very intrigued by this. Van Hove’s View from the Bridge is still one of my favorite theater experiences.

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#39BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:04pm

This is intriguing, for sure, but I'm shocked the Robbins Estate agreed to allow new choreography.  I was always under the impression that the Robbins choreography had to be replicated in all productions.

TheSassySam Profile Photo
TheSassySam
#40BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:12pm

I cannot wait for this. 

There will always be large regional productions of West Side Story that recreate the classic show we fell in love with. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#41BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:13pm

2020 seems to be shaping up as the year of "WEsT SIDE SToRY" what with an upcoming film remake and a revival. Wow!

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#42BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:17pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "You guys can skip this, keep your memories of the original production, and leave the tickets for the rest of us who actually want their revivals to REVIVE the classics, not just keep them on life support forever. I haven’t always been the biggest fan of van Hove’s approach to classic American texts, but he is certainly never a safe choice."

I wasn't always a fan of replacing the original Robbins choreography and staging - it was just so iconic and inextricable to the show more so than any other show I can imagine, but now I welcome a re-invention or re-imagining of this piece. It's exciting to imagine what they will do. 

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#43BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:26pm

If there is one thing that’s certain from Arthur Laurents’ memoirs: he felt that musical theatre had to be in someone’s bones. (It wasn’t in Sam Mendes’s, one of the reasons why he hated GYPSY.) Does Ivo have musical theatre in his bones? Only time will tell...

I am kind of surprised this will open cold on Broadway (if “cold” means developmental presentations and a long preview period).

Very curious about how the musical arrangements will be for this — something tells me we won’t get 25 pieces in the band like the last production.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#45BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:32pm

Um.   I....Did....I....

Hit me with a 2x4, I did not see this coming.  Yes, it's soon, but I'm a WSS whore, so I'm good.  A little bit scared.

New choreo....that's great, but I am totally unfamiliar with her work.  Anyone shed any light on her?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

A Director
A Director
#47BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:40pm

Maija García - Choreographer for WSS at the Guthrie

GUTHRIE Debut. THEATER CHOREOGRAPHY Cuba Libre (Artists Repertory Theatre); Another Word for Beauty (Goodman Theatre); FELA! on Broadwayand National Theatre of London (associate choreographer); FELA! world tour(creative director). DIRECTION Salsa, Mambo, Cha Cha Cha (Havana, Cuba); The Legend of Yauna (BAM Fisher); I Am New York: Juan Rodriguez (El Museo del Barrio); Ghosts of Manhattan (Organic Magnetics). FILM Director of movement for Spike Lee’s Chi-Raq (Amazon) and She’s Gotta Have It (Netflix). TEACHING NYU Graduate Acting; CUNY City College of New York. UPCOMING Snow in Midsummer (Oregon Shakespeare Festival) and Hatuey (Peak Performances). www.organicmagnetics.com 

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#48BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:40pm

Liz Marvel's Tony will be definitive. 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#49BREAKING: Ivo van Hove Will Direct Broadway Revival of WEST SIDE STORY
Posted: 7/12/18 at 2:41pm

Very, very excited about this. WSS is one of my all-time favorites, so a new interpretation of a classic like this is interesting to me.

Here is some of Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker‘s work. I like her general style; some of this choreography reminds me of Robbins’. My only hope for this aspect is that they take cues from the OG while putting a fresh spin on it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rTwNWiLIYnI

Videos