pixeltracker

Not Nominated / Should Have Won- Page 2

Not Nominated / Should Have Won

Erin V
#25Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/26/19 at 9:59pm

YES! He not only deserved a nomination, he also deserved a win.

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#26Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/26/19 at 11:07pm

Alex Newell in Once On This Island

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

52889j
#27Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/26/19 at 11:26pm

I'm gonna say James McArdle for Angels in America.

Also Justin Edwards and several other featured actors in The Ferryman.

SouthernCakes
#28Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/26/19 at 11:41pm

💯% Bejamin Walker in American Psycho. One of the best performances I’ve seen ever. The physicality was incredible. A true star turn. And how it got snubbed is just baffling and made me care less about awards because clearly it’s not artist merit.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#29Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 12:34am

I know not all will agree with this but given the competition in 2000, I think Aida should have been nominated for and won Best Musical

Emmaloucbway
#30Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 1:04am

Mr. Wormwood said: "I know not all will agree with this but given the competition in 2000, I think Aida should have been nominated for and won Best Musical"

I agree! :) 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#31Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 1:08am

The first that popped into my head is Ann Harada in Avenue Q.

I’ll throw in Cheyenne Jackson and Mary Testa in Xanadu.

MollyJeanneMusic
#32Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 7:54am

Even with all the dislike/ambivalence about Be More Chill, I was surprised it wasn't nominated for Best Orchestrations - I thought that show's instrumentation and production was really unique and lent itself well to the show's themes.

Also totally agree on Reeve Carney, and I'll also raise you Sophia Anne Caruso in Beetlejuice.  Having not yet seen the show, just from watching little clips of the show online, it's incredible how much stage presence she has, especially for someone of her age.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

MollyJeanneMusic
#33Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 8:25am

Also, I know the 16-17 season was so incredibly crowded, but I wish Bandstand and Holiday Inn had gotten a bit more recognition.  Bandstand had a great message and incredible performances, and I feel like Corey Cott definitely deserved a nomination.  And Holiday Inn wasn't a revolutionary show, but it was so much fun.  I think Bryce Pinkham and Corbin Bleu definitely could've been nominated, and I think Lora Lee Gayer could've also had a chance.  (Also, if there was a Best Ensemble category, they would've had a great chance at winning.). At least Bandstand actually won an award - Holiday Inn got one nomination and lost it (to Bandstand).

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#34Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 9:29am

@MollyJeaneMusic: But do you think all of those shows/actors deserved to WIN? That's what the OP is asking 

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#35Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 9:37am

My pick is Tom Kitt for his gorgeous orchestrations for American Idiot. I'm guessing that the nominating committee had trouble appreciating just how significant his contribution was to the sound of the show.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#36Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 10:39am

Elena Roger - Evita

Helene Yorke - Bullets Over Broadway

Benjamin Walker - American Psycho

Gideon Glick - Significant Other

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Wayman_Wong
#37Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 4:20pm

''Beetlejuice should’ve won set design over Hadestown.''

I couldn't agree more. Even though David Korins WAS Tony-nominated for his incredible set design for ''Beetlejuice,'' it's still ridiculous that he didn't win. After all, he had won Best Scenic Design from the Outer Critics and the Drama Desk, too. Korins created a crazy funhouse of a set that paid tribute to Tim Burton and captured the spirit and wit of the movie. By sheer coincidence, ''Beetlejuice'' released a video today featuring Korins offering a revealing tour of his set. A shame they didn't put this out in May and send it to all the Tony voters. Maybe it might've made a difference. Or not. Sometimes, I think the Tony voters get lazy and latch onto one show and vote straight-ticket. I love ''Hadestown,'' and it was Tony-worthy in so many ways, but not for its set. Watch Korins in this video and see how scarily brilliant his scenic design is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtqgQua5giM

Alex Kulak2
#38Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 4:38pm

The Ferryman is fantastic, but Lucas Hnath should have at least been nominated for Hillary and Clinton.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#39Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 5:56pm

Reeve Carney for Hadestown
Ben Walker for American Psycho
Amber Gray for The Great Comet (in my mind she should have 2 Tony awards)

MollyJeanneMusic
#40Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 6:14pm

JBroadway said: "@MollyJeaneMusic: But do you think all of those shows/actors deserved to WIN? That's what the OP is asking"

I was mostly focusing on the not nominated part of the prompt.  However, I do believe that, if their shows had come out in other seasons, they could have at least had a chance.

magictodo123
#41Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 6:33pm

Okay...don't bite my head off...but, now that I've seen both a couple of times....this is under the *SHOW* category, not actors in terms of who should have won....Come From Away should have won Best Musical. 

TooTiredForThis
#42Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 9:17pm

qolbinau said: "Marin Mazzie in Bullets Over Broadway (& Next to Normal - but a replacement)

Bernadette Peters in Follies (& A Little Night Music & Hello, Dolly! - but a replacement)

"

I only disagree with Bernadette winning because Jan Maxwell's Phyllis is still probably the most visceral performance I've seen in a musical. I get why Audra won,  limited engagements that end before the Tony's will never win, but with Maxwell's untimely death, and the sheer fire she brought to that role, this is the one she should have won. 

The big one I would put on this list that hasn't been mentioned is Barbara Walsh for Joanne in Company. It was a colder, more brutal version of the role that oozed both delusion and self inspection, and  no other Joanne has engrossed me in the same way. 

Updated On: 10/27/19 at 09:17 PM

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#43Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/27/19 at 9:24pm

Okay...don't bite my head off...but, now that I've seen both a couple of times....this is under the *SHOW* category, not actors in terms of who should have won....Come From Away should have won Best Musical. 

It's still unbelievable that it lost Best Book to DEH.

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#44Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 12:37am

I wholeheartedly agree with:

Tom Kitt's orchestrations for AMERICAN IDIOT.  I'd add Michael Mayer's direction (HOW were they not even nominated?!), as their work was what made that show unforgettable (and what made me buy full-price tickets to see it 5 times). 

Benjamin Walker for AMERICAN PSYCHO.  One of the most amazing performances I've ever seen.  The specifics, the clear delineations between the 'real world' Patrick Bateman, and how he saw himself in his mind that turned on a dime was a master class in acting. 

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.
Updated On: 10/28/19 at 12:37 AM

fitzdavid2
#45Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 12:37am

Gideon Glick- Significant Other- a heartbreaking, funny, spellbinding performance.  He not only should have been nominated; he should have won.

JBradshaw Profile Photo
JBradshaw
#46Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 2:34am

I think Eartha should of won for “The Wild Party”

magictodo123
#47Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 4:44am

fitzdavid2 said: "Gideon Glick- Significant Other- a heartbreaking, funny, spellbinding performance. He not only should have been nominated; he should have won."

Okay, I think I might have actually told him at the stagedoor that he should be nominated for a Tony....*head meet table* 

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#48Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 9:10am

Ned Beatty in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, although my understanding is that the public discord with his cast members may have been the reason he didn't get nominated?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#49Not Nominated / Should Have Won
Posted: 10/28/19 at 11:30am

I completely agree with everyone who has mentioned that AIDA deserved to be nominated for Best Musical (and it definitely would have won).

I would like to add Tovah Feldshuh in IRENA'S VOW - still one of the best performances I've seen on stage, but wasn't nominated.

Videos