pixeltracker

MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation- Page 2

MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation

pointilismlight
#25MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 5:51pm

Hot Pants said: "This is an awful idea. Not only do I not care for the show (love the original film), but I just can’t see why this should be made except for a quick buck. There’s nothing about the musical that seems cinematic. A lot of the staging just won’t work on film. If they wanted to let a wider audience see the musical, they should’ve just professionally taped the Broadway production."

There's nothing about the musical that seems cinematic?  It is based nearly beat by beat on a movie!  It takes place in so many locations they had to use video screens!

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#26MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 6:20pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "jacobsnchz14 said: "I would've just preferred MEAN GIRLS Live on NBC, but money."

I agree. Or even film it professionally and air it like LEGALLY BLONDE. This would've been a ratings hit.
"

But then the world would see how bad the show is.

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#27MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 6:24pm

pointilismlight said: "Hot Pants said: "This is an awful idea. Not only do I not care for the show (love the original film), but I just can’t see why this should be made except for a quick buck. There’s nothing about the musical that seems cinematic. A lot of the staging just won’t work on film. If they wanted to let a wider audience see the musical, they should’ve just professionally taped the Broadway production."

There's nothing about the musical that seems cinematic? It is based nearly beat by beat on a movie! It takes place in so many locations they had to use video screens!
"

Just because it takes place in a bunch of different locations doesn’t mean it’s cinematic. There’s two problems with making this musical seems cinematic. One is that a lot of the staging feels to based in theatre to transfer to the film. One example of this would be Gretchen acting like a bird, an extremely over the top joke that’s acceptable onstage, but would be far too hammy to be on film. That’s the first one that comes to mind, but there are other moments that wouldn’t transfer well. The other problem is something you brought up. It’s pretty much the movie beat for beat. So why do we need to see the same thing on the big screen again? As another poster said, movie musicals like The Producers and Hairspray felt more justified since they had plenty of differences to their original films. This meant they wouldn’t have to copy them when they got transferred to the screen.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#28MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 6:30pm

I think Waitress, which has become way more famous since the musical, is way more needed as a movie musical than a movie phenomenon.

DiscoCrows Profile Photo
DiscoCrows
#29MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 7:07pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I think Waitress, which has become way more famous since the musical, is way more needed as a movie musical than a movie phenomenon."

Agree. Not saying that this won't be, well, interesting, but I guess I just don't understand this over so many other options.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#30MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 7:17pm

Jane Krakowski for Regina's mom.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#31MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 7:23pm

Waitress the musical would make a great film. As for recoupment Hello Dolly! was making 2 mil a week with Bette and just barely recouped.

BwayLB
#32MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 7:41pm

I’m surprised this was announced just nine months after I saw the movie and I hope to see the musical when the tour comes to California. This should be interesting to see how this movie happens.

cwrdlylyn
#33MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 8:29pm

At first this feels shockingly soon to me... because I grew up with MEAN GIRLS.  But honestly, HAIRSPRAY was 19 years between original and musical remake... and by the time this reaches screens this is gonna be about 17 years since the original.  Yes that's shorter but not that much of a difference.

This feels too soon, but maybe it will be fun and different enough to be worth it, the way the HAIRSPRAY movie surprised.  (Not the hugest fan of the John Travolta-ness of it... but he has his moments, and was not as bad as I thought he was gonna be).  Was it 100% necessary, no.  Was it worthless as entertainment, no.  

Lindsay Lohan as Mrs. George?  MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation 

I hope they don't go with one actress for all the adult females in the show.

jbroadway4 Profile Photo
jbroadway4
#34MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 9:45pm

Renee Rapp is Regina.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#35MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 9:46pm

Oh this is solidly stupid.

The movie is beloved and no one truly loved the musical. Everyone I talked to felt eh about it.

This story never should’ve been told longer than 100 minutes

bwaydreamer
#36MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 9:46pm

One of the worst musicals in the past ten years.  Pretty good book but the musical is awful.  Could not have left this show more disappointed.  You'd have to pay me to watch this movie.  

VintageSnarker
#37MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 10:09pm

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I think Waitress, which has become way more famous since the musical, is way more needed as a movie musical than a movie phenomenon."

THIS. Other people have already made all the points I would have made about why this isn't a great idea. Musicals should not be made into movies unless there's a cinematic vision. Especially since there have been so many successful examples of how to film a stage show. 

sparksatmidnight
#38MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 10:16pm

it's not like we need to choose between one and the other, as the rights to Waitress belongs to Fox/Disney and the rights to Mean Girls to Paramount, and it's not like any of them would ever be released while the musical is still playing and being produced in major markets anyway.

pointilismlight
#39MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 10:55pm

I don't understand why people are confused about this.  It is one of Paramount's biggest brands.  There isn't a world in which they aren't going to take advantage of it...

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#40MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 11:07pm

The movie is iconic, the musical was fun but only because of the recall from the movie. It didn't really bring anything new and the most obviously new things (the songs) were the most forgettable. This is a terrible idea and I am fairly certain it will bomb. Agreed that a live musical or professionally filmed version of the Broadway show would have been a better choice.

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#41MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 11:11pm

metropolis10111 said: "Because this never works! lookat what happened to Hairspray... oh wait.. yea."

HAIRSPRAY become the tenth highest grossing musical film in US cinema history, and had the highest opening weekend box office for a musical ever up to that point. And was critically and commercially very successful- so I think it did work.

Darreyl with an L!

SouthernCakes
#42MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/23/20 at 11:20pm

Is there a timeline? Seems silly to make a movie while it’s still touring and on Broadway.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#43MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/24/20 at 12:30am

It’s friggin hilarious how people are coming to post on this forum how horrible this musical is...I am prone to think these individuals are not part of the majority because it recouped. It made money and it would be foolish for the powers that be to not capitalize on that and adapt the musical version to the screen The show has a built in fan base dating back to the original film....that right there is revenue...they would be foolish not to adapt it to film...

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#44MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/24/20 at 12:41am

CarlosAlberto said: "It’s friggin hilarious how people are coming to post on this forum how horrible this musical is...I am prone to think these individuals are not part of the majority because it recouped. It made money and it would be foolish for the powers that be to not capitalize on that and adapt the musical version to the screen The show has a built in fan base dating back to the original film....that right there is revenue...they would be foolish not to adapt it to film..."

That’s the problem though. You’re reasoning for why it makes sense to make the musical into a film is entirely based on money, and has nothing to due with it actually being a good idea to make into a film. There’s many shows out there that deserve the cinematic treatment, ones that would work much better as a film than Mean Girls, something that doesn’t even work that well onstage.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#45MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/24/20 at 12:44am

sparksatmidnight said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I think Waitress, which has become way more famous since the musical, is way more needed as a movie musical than a movie phenomenon."

it's not like we need to choose between one and the other, as the rights to Waitress belongs to Fox/Disney and the rights to Mean Girls to Paramount, and it's not like any of them would ever be released while the musical is still playing and being produced in major markets anyway.

"

Someone enlighten me. To my understanding  adapting waitress the show to film would be different in comparison to adapting mean girls, because mean girls the show is produced/owned by the same people who produced/owned the original film. Meanwhile, the folks who produced waitress the show are completely different people to who produced the film. So if the waitress the show producers even wanted to adapt it into a film, they’d have the additional hurdle of having to buy the film rights from the original film producers. PHEW!

Also, wanted to add that along with Paramount Universal is a co producer on Mean Girls and I was curious if that complicates anything. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 1/24/20 at 12:44 AM

Browneyes142
#46MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/24/20 at 1:00am

Starting Cameron Dallas.

SouthernCakes
#47MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/24/20 at 1:10am

I mean it made money and now they want more! Makes sense.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#48MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/24/20 at 1:25am

Every line from the movie is iconic as are the actors who said them.

People aren’t gonna go to this to hear “stop trying to make fetch happen” said by a different actress

sparksatmidnight
#49MEAN GIRLS Recoups and Announces Film Adaptation
Posted: 1/24/20 at 3:47am

Call_me_jorge said: "sparksatmidnight said: "disneybroadwayfan22 said: "I think Waitress, which has become way more famous since the musical, is way more needed as a movie musical than a movie phenomenon."

"

Someone enlighten me. To my understanding adaptingwaitress the show to film would be different in comparison to adapting mean girls, because mean girls the show is produced/owned by the same people who produced/owned the original film. Meanwhile, the folks who produced waitress the show are completely different people to who produced the film. So if the waitress the show producers even wanted to adapt it into a film, they’d have the additional hurdle of having to buy the film rights from the original film producers. PHEW!"

It's standard to *not* release the movie rights along with theatrical rights when you are approached to do a musical version of a movie. So, those who own the original movie already own the rights to produce a musical film from the get go. That's why Paramount is producing the musical film Mean Girls, and why Searchlight/Disney will produce a Waitress movie if it ever comes out. Same thing happened with Hairspray (both by Warner Bros.), and almost the same thing happened with Wicked, although that's not a movie, but Universal owned the rights to the book when they were approached by Stephen Schwartz (Little Shop of Horrors and The Producers are a bit more complicated).

Videos