pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 2

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

hearthemsing22
#25SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:36am

wewdie said: "Do we know yet if this will be an open run, or with those names in the cast, is this a limited engagement? Ticketmaster is selling through September. Do we think it will close then?"

Hm. Hard to say. Josh Groban was with Great Comet for a while. Maybe it will stay open but the cast will change?

Hairspray0901
#26SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:37am

These tickets were already insanely expensive. This cast is fantastic but I just cannot justify spending that much money at the moment. Truly wild. Even $69 for the last 3 rows of the rear mezz seems like highway robbery lol. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#27SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:43am

HOLY CRAP - Jeanna de Waal?!?!?

Is there a schedule of Ashford’s absences already because I want those tickets immediately!

hearthemsing22
#28SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 10:44am

Jordan Catalano said: "HOLY CRAP -Jeanna de Waal?!?!?

Is there a schedule of Ashford’s absences already because I want those tickets immediately!
"

Get a ticket for a random date and then you could be surprised with understudies LOL

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#29SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:19am

FANtomFollies said: "How do people here feel about Jordan Fisher? My only opinion is based on him in Rent Live, which probably isn't a fair representation of him (I hope)."

If his record of calling out of DEH performances is any indication... I'll be surprised to see how many Sweeney Performances he misses... 

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

SouthernCakes
#30SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:28am

Feel like they keep trying to make Jordan Fisher a thing. 

Jeanna is def a surprise! I mean, to play such an iconic role on Broadway.. but hey I’d rather see her over Ashforfd’s usual schtick. 

hearthemsing22
#31SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:29am

Voter said: "FANtomFollies said: "How do people here feel about Jordan Fisher? My only opinion is based on him in Rent Live, which probably isn't a fair representation of him (I hope)."

If his record of calling out of DEH performances is any indication... I'll be surprised to see how many Sweeney Performances he misses...
"

To be fair though, his wife was pregnant, and didn't he also have COVID?

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#32SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:35am

This cast is just great. I'm glad I've already got my ticket!

Re: Jordan Fisher, Anthony is a considerably less demanding part than Evan Hansen. You've just got to look pretty and sing pretty. I think he'll be lovely. 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#33SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:37am

I’m not sure choosing the Begger Woman over “Here Lies Live” is the decision I would have made, but perhaps it will be easier to balance with everything else going on in her life!

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#34SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:41am

To me, that choice says something exciting about this production. 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

Dan6
#35SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:44am

Already have my tickets and am liking this cast, though I confess I’m a bit disappointed that the Patrick Page-as-Turpin rumors I saw on this site didn’t pan out. 

JanMaxwellsBag Profile Photo
JanMaxwellsBag
#36SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 11:54am

ACL2006 said: "JanMaxwellsBag said: "Wow that’s fantastic!

NGL I would want to see Jeanna de Waal as Lovett rather than Ashford.
"

THIS! Just have de Waal & Christopher be the alternates and add in Tuesday evening shows.

"

I also hope that eventually de Waal gets the opportunity to lead a musical on her own again. I thought she was magnificent in Diana, Razzie be damned (although full disclosure I am a Diana apologist and mega fan). 

But for now, if they ever do announce her and Christopher as official alternates, I will definitely be buying a second ticket. 

I could use a prince to save me from my prince.
Updated On: 12/14/22 at 11:54 AM

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#37SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 12:02pm

Add me to the chorus who would LOVE to see Jeanna de Waal go on for Ashford. Although I learned after SUNDAY to not doubt Ashford’s casting again. Excellent cast all around!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#38SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 12:33pm

Dan6 said: "Already have my tickets and am liking this cast, though I confess I’m a bit disappointed that the Patrick Page-as-Turpin rumors I saw on this site didn’t pan out."

Evidently both he and George Hearn were offered it. Page is busy with King Lear and Hearn I guess felt like he was too old. What happened to Matt Doyle as Anthony? Although that would have been THREE cast members from the recent Off-Broadway production, which would have been odd.

BTW I find it fascinating that so many Judge Turpins tend to be former Sweeneys. Jamie Jackson played the title role at the Gateway Playhouse a decade or so ago.

LuPita2 Profile Photo
LuPita2
#39SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 12:41pm

This casting is uniformly excellent. I am surprised they cast Jordan Fisher considering his atrocious attendance due to film engagements and being sick the three different years he played Evan. But, this is a less demanding part so I guess we'll see.

This production is truly exciting and I look forward to seeing it! 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#40SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 1:07pm

George Hearn — who turns 89 in June, and has not been onstage or performed publicly in a decade — would not have been practical casting, especially with the rest of the company so young.

I wonder if they’ll keep the “flogging” scene.

Cant wait to see how they bill everyone here. Will need to highlight Gaten’s name in advertising if they actually want him to sell some tix.

hearthemsing22
#41SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 1:28pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Dan6 said: "Already have my tickets and am liking this cast, though I confess I’m a bit disappointed that the Patrick Page-as-Turpin rumors I saw on this site didn’t pan out."

Evidently both he and George Hearn were offered it. Page is busy with King Lear and Hearn I guess felt like he was too old. What happened to Matt Doyle as Anthony? Although that would have been THREE cast members from the recent Off-Broadway production, which would have been odd.

BTW I find it fascinating that so many Judge Turpins tend to be former Sweeneys. Jamie Jackson played the title role at the Gateway Playhouse a decade or so ago.
"

Matt Doyle is in Little Shop...I don't know how long his contract is for but if they're starting rehearsals soon that would be difficult...

JSquared2
#42SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 1:40pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Matt Doyle is in Little Shop...I don't know how long his contract is for but if they're starting rehearsals soon that would be difficult..."

LSOH contracts tend to be short -- and I'm sure that there are outs for a Broadway gig.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#43SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 1:42pm

I don't understand the excitement over Jeanna de Waal. I thought she was terrible in American Idiot and possibly even worse in the approximately 10 minutes of Diana I could stand.

hearthemsing22
#44SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 1:55pm

JSquared2 said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Matt Doyle is in Little Shop...I don't know how long his contract is for but if they're starting rehearsals soon that would be difficult..."

LSOH contracts tend to be short -- and I'm sure that there are outs for a Broadway gig.
"

Excellent point...ah well. It's not like he couldn't be a replacement in the future if he wanted to. 

ozjust4 Profile Photo
ozjust4
#45SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 1:58pm

hork said: "I don't understand the excitement over Jeanna de Waal. I thought she was terrible in American Idiot and possibly even worse in the approximately 10 minutes of Diana I could stand."

Looking for the post where anyone asked.

Updated On: 12/14/22 at 01:58 PM

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#46SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:05pm

Dan6 said: "Already have my tickets and am liking this cast, though I confess I’m a bit disappointed that the Patrick Page-as-Turpin rumors I saw on this site didn’t pan out."

Page was offered the role, and I'm told was their top choice. But he ultimately turned it down to do King Lear and some TV work. 

SouthernCakes
#47SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:06pm

I def thought they would have gone with “names” for the smaller parts like Music Man / Hello Dolly. But maybe it’s less costly. 

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#48SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:19pm

This casting overall, excluding Ruthie Ann Miles, seems to lack any edge.

JasonC3
#49SWEENEY TODD Revival announces further casting
Posted: 12/14/22 at 2:22pm

ozjust4 said: "hork said: "I don't understand the excitement over Jeanna de Waal. I thought she was terrible in American Idiot and possibly even worse in the approximately 10 minutes of Diana I could stand."

Looking for the post where anyone asked.
"

What purpose does this retort serve?  Are you going to share it every time someone posts their opinion, aka, the very reason these boards exist?

Any of us could just as well parrot back the same reply to your post.

Videos