pixeltracker

Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical- Page 2

Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#25Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 2/24/23 at 1:46pm

I want a bio musical of Kristin's life.
Emily Skinner as Rosie O'Donnell discovering her.
The Act 1 cliffhanger as the Good Wife rigging comes crashing down.
The Act 2 'If/Then' sequence where we see Kristin's career if she had pursued the opera route.

fbueller
#26Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 2/24/23 at 4:05pm

Voter said: "CarlosAlberto said: "First "Joy" now this? Talk about scraping the bottom for source material. SMDH. What's next? The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: The Musical?!? Ugh."

Don’t joke, because I would truly see that
"

Kristin would make an amazing Kim Richards!  LOL

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#27Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 2/24/23 at 5:00pm

Can't help but wish William Finn was writing this instead...

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#28Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 2/24/23 at 7:58pm

Speaking of wrung-out old mops.

Peppa222
#29Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 2/24/23 at 11:12pm

It's funny when people trash source material like some of the best-written musicals aren't adapted from the most head-scratching ideas. I type this days before a giant-scale revival of a show about murdering people and cooking them into pies goes into previews.

Sure, the source material is contemporary, but adapting stories of the overtly rich in crisis that serve as class critique is far from a new or shocking idea. 

As for the jab at Real Housewives: The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills' earlier seasons are more dramatically sound than most new works in Broadway theatres. There will always be those who turn their noses up at anything they see as meant for the "lowest common denominator."

KevinKlawitter
Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#31Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 3/28/23 at 1:33pm

If you lie down with dogs ...

fosterfan2
#32Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 3/28/23 at 5:48pm

...you wake up with fleas.

I know,right?

Robbie516
#33Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 3/28/23 at 6:01pm

Is this coming to Broadway? And when?

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#34Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 3/28/23 at 6:51pm

Not anytime soon obvi. They just did a first reading.

fbueller
Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#36Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/2/23 at 1:48pm

I have heard a workshop is starting today, helmed by Michael Arden. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Listener
#37Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/2/23 at 4:25pm

fbueller said: "CarlosAlberto said: "First "Joy" now this? Talk about scraping the bottom for source material. SMDH. What's next? The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: The Musical?!? Ugh."

Kristin deserves better material.
"

She does. She really does.

This could end up being great but honestly...this subject matter is depressing. I struggle to think that *this* is what backers want to put money behind. It all sounds tacky and beneath Cheno.

The Tammy Faye musical would have been more compelling and still had a ripped-from-the-headlines quality.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#38Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/2/23 at 5:22pm

Have you seen the documentary? It's actually quite fascinating and I'm curious what direction the book goes. 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#39Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 10:43am

https://deadline.com/2023/10/the-queen-of-versailles-musical-1235561938/

EXCLUSIVE: F. Murray AbrahamHere Lies Love’s Melody Butiu, and Kimberly Akimbo’s Nina White have joined the cast of workshop presentations of The Queen of Versailles starring Kristin Chenoweth being held in New York next month.

Featuring music by Stephen Schwartz, The Queen of Versailles is a new musical based on the acclaimed 2012 documentary about socialite and TV personality Jacqueline “Jackie” Siegel. The workshops are scheduled for November 2 and 3.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#40Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 12:04pm

Hope this is great and hope it actually sees the light of day. Of all the projects KC has been attached to over the years, this seems the most likely to actually move forward, considering the talent involved (Schwartz, Arden), she is a producer on it, and it has a seasoned lead producing team (Seaview and Bill Damaschke).

OhHiii
#41Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 1:16pm

The people already writing this off as a concept more than likely have not even engaged with the source material. There's a really compelling character study in Jackie and her life is actually rife with turmoil prime for musicalizing. Now, whether or not Schwartz has a good score in him for it remains to be seen (this feels like something that would be right up Frankel/Korie's alley), but who knows!

And, to be fair to Chenoweth, Death Becomes Her is indeed happening, just not with her. Sometimes performers help develop a show and then move on or roles are given to others for various reasons (a semi-recent example: Donna Murphy developed Elizabeth Arden for War Paint). 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#42Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 1:36pm

Out of curiosity --- did Cheno even get to the reading stage of DEATH BECOMES HER? Universal first announced it as "in development" starring her in late 2017, but no authors/director were attached and then there was radio silence after that.

Updated On: 10/3/23 at 01:36 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#43Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 1:39pm

F Murray Abraham is inspired casting. I hope they don’t lose him.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

DaveyG
#44Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 1:44pm

I admire everyone on this team - I just can't stomach the Trump-loving Siegel family. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#45Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 3:50pm

DaveyG said: "I admire everyone on this team - I just can't stomach the Trump-loving Siegel family."

Well, we have a musical about Imelda Marcos on Broadway and Eva Peron is a regular Broadway presence. Sometimes vile people make great artistic subjects.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#46Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 4:27pm

Kad said: "DaveyG said: "I admire everyone on this team - I just can't stomach the Trump-loving Siegel family."

Well, we have a musical about Imelda Marcos on Broadway and Eva Peron is a regular Broadway presence. Sometimes vile people make great artistic subjects.
"

I don’t remember, but were Imelda Marcos and Eva Peron intimately involved with their respective shows? /s

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#47Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 4:48pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Kad said: "DaveyG said: "I admire everyone on this team - I just can't stomach the Trump-loving Siegel family."

"

I don’t remember, but were Imelda Marcos and Eva Peron intimately involved with their respective shows? /s
"

...how is Siegel "intimately involved" with this? And the documentary this is adapted from is hardly a puff piece about her.

If we're locking out anybody who supports Trump from Broadway, then I have some bad news for you about the people who own a lot of these theaters.

Updated On: 10/3/23 at 04:48 PM

fosterfan2
#48Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/3/23 at 6:46pm

OhHiii said: "The people already writing this off as a concept more than likely have not even engaged with the source material. There's areallycompelling character study in Jackie and her life is actually rife with turmoil prime for musicalizing. Now, whether or not Schwartz has a good score in him for it remains to be seen (this feels like something that would be right up Frankel/Korie's alley), but who knows!

And, to be fair to Chenoweth, Death Becomes Her is indeed happening, just not with her. Sometimes performers help develop a show and then move on or roles are given to others for various reasons (a semi-recent example: Donna Murphy developed Elizabeth Arden for War Paint).
"

Donna Murphy AND Patti LuPone in War Paint? How I wished this had happened. Two of my favorites.

JMH27
#49Kristin Chenoweth/Stephen Schwartz team up for Queen of Versailles stage musical
Posted: 10/11/23 at 9:32am

I watched the documentary this weekend and found it pretty interesting. Jackie is an incredibly sympathetic character and I think a lot could be done with her. Likewise, David could make a great villain.

I know this is just a workshop (following the one or reading that was held in the spring), but any chance this might get expedited due to the large names behind it?

Updated On: 10/11/23 at 09:32 AM

Videos