News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews- Page 2

MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews

inception Profile Photo
inception
#25MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 12/4/23 at 7:59am

djoko84 said: "I saw it today with Graham Stevens. Didn't missJames Monroe Iglehart at all. Did not like the first act, but the second act was fantastic. If this was much like the original production, which I didn't get to see, I don't know how it beat Spelling Beefor the Best Musical Tony."

That is a question people will be asking for all eternity.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#26MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 12/8/23 at 2:28pm

Tony Voter ticket invites were juuuuust sent out, even though Taran leaves 1/7 and Michael Urie leaves 1/21 ... 

Sure, you can say you don't plan on them being nominated, but it's still sloppy producing to wait until plans are solidified through December 2023, then tell tony voters "hey! we want you to catch the show before January 7th!"

I guess the same thing happened with Lea Salonga and Here Lies Love

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

BETTY22
#27MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 12/8/23 at 3:16pm

I had a great time. Took me 15 minutes to get into it, but once I did, I didn't stop laughing.

It's a total joy. Josh Rhodes is talented...

JSquared2
#28MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 12/8/23 at 4:15pm

Voter said: "Tony Voter ticket invites were juuuuust sent out, even though Taran leaves 1/7 and Michael Urie leaves 1/21 ...

Sure, you can say you don't plan on them being nominated, but it's still sloppy producing to wait until plans are solidified through December 2023, then tell tony voters "hey! we want you to catch the show before January 7th!"

Not quite understanding what your problem is with this?  it's December 8th.  January 7th is a month away..  Is that not enough time for voters to make plans??

Also --- any voters who have already requested tickets before the official invite was sent have been accommodated.

Updated On: 12/8/23 at 04:15 PM

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#29MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 12/8/23 at 4:36pm

JSquared2 said: "Voter said: "Tony Voter ticket invites were juuuuust sent out, even though Taran leaves 1/7 and Michael Urie leaves 1/21 ...

Not quite understanding what your problem is with this? it's December 8th. January 7th is a month away.. Is that not enough time for voters to make plans??

Also --- any voters who have already requested tickets before the official invite was sent have been accommodated.

"

OOOOO we've got Mr Spamalot Broadway Producer over here! Since he said that the requested tickets before the official invite were already accommodated!

How about this? The Tony Voter calendars I'm in charge of are booking out to mid January. Those people are busy and are often seeing other productions besides Broadway specific ones. No. A month is not enough notice. ESPECIALLY over the winter holidays!!! Also - offering tickets to some voters and not all isn't a great look - even if unofficial. So thanks for that information.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12
Updated On: 12/8/23 at 04:36 PM

JSquared2
#30MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 12/8/23 at 6:18pm

Voter said: "JSquared2 said: "Voter said: "Tony Voter ticket invites were juuuuust sent out, even though Taran leaves 1/7 and Michael Urie leaves 1/21 ...

Not quite understanding what your problem is with this? it's December 8th. January 7th is a month away.. Is that not enough time for voters to make plans??

"

OOOOO we've got Mr Spamalot Broadway Producer over here! Since he said that the requested tickets before the official invite were already accommodated!

How about this? The Tony Voter calendars I'm in charge of are booking out to mid January. Those people are busy and are often seeing other productions besides Broadway specific ones. No. A month is not enough notice. ESPECIALLY over the winter holidays!!! Also - offering tickets to some voters and not all isn't a great look - even if unofficial. So thanks for that information.
"

Is this your first week on the job, doll?  No TV that I know of waits for an official invite to arrive in their inbox before calling to ask for seats!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#31MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/3/24 at 12:08pm

Jonathan Bennett will be replacing Urie as Sir Robin beginning January 23, and he will be with the show through April 28. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/3/24 at 12:08 PM

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#32MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/3/24 at 1:16pm

another fine thespian

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#33MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/3/24 at 2:31pm

Never understood the appeal of this show. What was any better or different than the movies, had the feeling the whole time I've seen this before and it was better.

Stephanatic

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#34MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/3/24 at 4:36pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jonathan Bennett will be replacing Urie as Sir Robin beginning January 23, and he will be with the show through April 28."

That's a shame.  I was hoping to see Urie during my trip in a few weeks and I have never heard of this Bennett guy.  Oh well, there's still a few others in the show that I'll enjoy seeing.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#35MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/3/24 at 6:11pm

LuckyDipster said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Jonathan Bennett will be replacing Urie as Sir Robin beginning January 23, and he will be with the show through April 28."

That's a shame. I was hoping to see Urie during my trip in a few weeks and I have never heard of this Bennett guy. Oh well, there's still a few others in the show that I'll enjoy seeing.
"

Although he's mostly been in the Hallmark movie market now, he's known to the millenial audience primarily as the original Aaron Samuels (the love interest of Lindsay Lohan's character) in the original version of MEAN GIRLS

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#36MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/4/24 at 6:30am

quizking101 said: "Although he's mostly been in the Hallmark movie market now, he's known to the millenial audience primarily as the original Aaron Samuels (the love interest of Lindsay Lohan's character) in the original version of MEAN GIRLS"

That'll be why I don't know him then.  Neither of those things are my jam.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#37MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/4/24 at 9:33am

Isn't it kinda odd the day after they announce Urie will be replaced after Jan 21, Ethan Slater is out til Jan 21?

I bet it's just a coincidence and I was planning on finally catching it, so just disappointed it won't be the full cast.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#38MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:17am

Bennett is also a host on a few cooking shows, like Halloween Wars and Cake Wars (I could have the titles wrong)

He was also on a season of Celebrity Big Brother. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#39MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:48am

BJR said: "Isn't it kinda odd the day after they announce Urie will be replaced after Jan 21, Ethan Slater is out til Jan 21?

I bet it's just a coincidence and I was planning on finally catching it, so just disappointed it won't be the full cast.
"

They didn’t specify why, but I’m going to guess either injury or he has to go do reshoots for WICKED

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#40MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:58am

I assume Slater is headed back to London to finish Wicked. I believe it was heavily reported when the strike happened they had about 7-10 days of shooting left. 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#41MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/5/24 at 3:00am

Finally saw this tonight.

Does no one know how to speak correct diction so that the audience actually hears the words?  I missed so much.

And this comedy falls generally flat.  Partly because of the bad diction.  The jokes aren't heard. 

And also because the timing is terrible.   Watched some videos of the original cast and they were SOO much better.  

It's not a great show, but it deserves better than what's onstage at the St James (the ghosts of THE PRODUCERS are howling!)  

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#42MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/9/24 at 9:50pm

Eagerly awaiting the TaffyDavenport lowdown on Brightman's first performance tonight...

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 1/9/24 at 09:50 PM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#43MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/9/24 at 10:54pm

Wow, I don’t even remember saying I was going tonight. Anyway, Alex was great, everyone was having a ton of fun, and it was nice to see him back with his Beetlejuice co-stars. That being said, I much preferred Taran Killam in the role(s). I’m sure Alex will settle in, but I don’t think he’ll be able to match Taran’s level of comedy.

Also, they’ve extended until July 28, which I’m assuming will be their closing to make way for Sunset.

Updated On: 1/9/24 at 10:54 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#44MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/9/24 at 11:23pm

A perfect vehicle for Alex.

The show is fine, silly, funny.... But it's not great. I don't rember thinking it was great the first time around, either.

Damn, those mezzanine seats are awful - physically, sight lines were fine. My knees! And I'm short! 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#45MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/10/24 at 7:38am

TaffyDavenport said: 

Also, they’ve extended until July 28, which I’m assuming will be their closing to make way forSunset."

1. I'm surprised the show is doing as well as it is.

2. Let's see if their grosses can sustain them through July.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#46MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/11/24 at 11:53am

I went to this last night, and unfortunately, it has become the second show I've ever walked out of. I was genuinely excited to see it, having somehow missed its original run, but within the first 10 minutes, I knew it just wasn't my cup of tea. Nothing clicked for me, and every passing minute felt like an hour. Was the original production really that much better? I saw every other show nominated that year, and I believe any of them would have been more deserving of a win, especially Putnam and Piazza.

Edit to clarify: I left at intermission.

Updated On: 1/11/24 at 11:53 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#47MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/11/24 at 12:04pm

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel said: "I went to this last night, and unfortunately, it has become the second show I've ever walked out of. I was genuinely excited to see it, having somehow missed its original run, but within the first 10 minutes, I knew it just wasn't my cup of tea. Nothing clicked for me, and every passing minute felt like an hour. Was the original production really that much better? I saw every other show nominated that year, and I believe any of them would have been more deserving of a win, especially Putnam and Piazza."

I concur with all of the above. I was at the first preview and found the entire show to be dreadful in all elements from the lackluster cast to the extremely cheap looking set. I also just did not find the show remotely funny. Like you said, not my cup of tea or sense of humor. 

I think the original production (which I, admittedly, never saw) probably looked more expensive, and I think that the original cast members probably really elevated the show on a whole.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#48MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/11/24 at 12:22pm

I guess it really is different strokes, because I love this show, this cast, and this production (not having seen the original), and I don't think it looks cheap, at all. I'm not often a laugh-out-loud person, but, for the most part, this show is really in line with my sense of humor. I think it's joyous, especially after a drink or two, and I already have a ticket to see it a third time in July, if it lasts until then.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#49MONTY PYTHON'S SPAMALOT Returns to Broadway - Opening Night Reviews
Posted: 1/23/24 at 9:57pm

Was anyone here at Jonathan Bennett’s Broadway debut as Sir Robin tonight? 

Oh look, a bibu!

Videos