pixeltracker

Joey Fatone IS in Little shop- Page 2

Joey Fatone IS in Little shop

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#25re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/13/04 at 6:05pm

Maybe it's just me but there's nothing "hungry" looking about Fatone and the roles he gets seem like they should be played by men not quite so ahem, Zaftig, or well fed, shall we say?

wickedrawbrt
#26re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/13/04 at 6:18pm

Wow...that was harsh, and yet so very true. Can men be Zaftig? I have only heard that term used to describe women, like Rubenesque.

BillyLawlor Profile Photo
BillyLawlor
#27re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/13/04 at 6:44pm

Most of the people in this thread are doing exactly what they shouldn't be doing---judging a performance before the actors joined the show. No one can be sure he's stunt casting, or he's going to be so bad until they see him. I don't think he has a good voice, but Seymour isn't THAT hard, and he may just pull it off. If he sucks in the role, than you can say all you want, but out of respect for anyone who has the guts to get up on a Broadway stage, don't judge and mock him when he hasn't began performances.

Broadwaylady Profile Photo
Broadwaylady
#28re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/13/04 at 7:26pm

I thought Hunter would have stayed a little longer in Little Shop. I saw Joey Fatone in Rent and thought he was quite good. Enough with the zoftig jokes. Give the guy a chance. And by the way, what is wrong with Zoftig? Hunter did not look that slim im Little Shop.

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by moments that take our breath away." "Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain."

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#29re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/13/04 at 7:31pm

I HATE STUNT-CASTING.

I had heard about this a while ago, and was REALLY hoping it wasn't true. Ugh... why?!?!

So that no one gets me for judging Joey without seeing him in the role - which I realize I'm doing - I did see him in RENT. Granted, different role, but he was my first Mark. That time, I hated Mark. (My second time I saw Chad Richardson, and I liked Mark's character A LOT better.) I felt like he had no personality. Joey could sing just fine, but his acting was abysmal. I'm kind of thinking that unless he's invested in some serious acting lessons between his RENT run and now, this is going to be the same thing.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

NYCbabe3789 Profile Photo
NYCbabe3789
#30re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/13/04 at 7:53pm

ARGH. Stunt casting stunt casting stunt casting...what is Broadway coming to??

crp2000 Profile Photo
crp2000
#31re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 8:57am

I've heard people say that Hunter is the best thing about little shop - i seriously don't think so. If it weren't for The Urchins, The Dentist, & The Plant - the show would be pretty boring.
I personally am kind of excited about Joey.

joeyjoe Profile Photo
joeyjoe
#32re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 9:04am

if i remember correctly, Joey Fatone, among other boy band alumni, had a start in theater... i wonder what would happen if, say, michael cerveris were to suddenly hit it big in the pop world, and then several years down the line, came back to theater in a prominent role... would that be stunt casting?

SueleenGay Profile Photo
SueleenGay
#33re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 9:10am

Why do you all assume that Hunter did not choose to leave this show on his own accord? He's done it for a long time, it was not the smash hit everyone thought it would be and he's probably ready for something new and challenging. You all make it sound as if the producers are making a huge mistake by letting him go. Maybe they didn't have a say in it, and Joey was their idea of a good replacement to help them regain some losses.

PEACE.

redhotinnyc2 Profile Photo
redhotinnyc2
#34re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 9:24am

When Joey Fatone (or as a friend of mine always pronounces his last name - Fat One!)...was hosting that awful talent show last year - he was so UN-Charismatic - boring, always messing up his lines and obviously reading cue cards the entire time - I kept thinking: What does this kid have to offer the entertainment community?

"I don't really get the ending,all i can go with is when after several months,Judith saw Pat sang,and later she kissed him on the toilet,after that the story back to where Pat went down from the stage after he'd sung,and he went to the italian lady.I just don't get it,what Judith exatcly meant when he kissed Pat that she had seen,and did Pat end up together with The Italian Lady?Please help me,thank u very much!" Quote from someone on IMDB in reference to a movie he/she didn't understand. Such grammar!

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#35re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 9:38am

I think it is a mistake, from the video clips I have seen of Joey Fatone playing Mark, I thought his singing was terrible. Mark and Seymore are somewhat the same, both sort of dorky. But I don't see him playing Seymore well. Why not let Foster's stand-by take over rather than letting big names fill boards attracting nothing but tourists.

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#36re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 9:45am

Well,

Anth, I couldn't agree with you more on all of your points.

I for one am excited that Joey is going to be joining the cast of Little Shop, I too didn't think that Hunter was anything much to write home about as Seymour. I LOVED him in Urinetown, but found his interpretation of Seymour lacking, and too one-note. It was hard for me to sympathize with his Seymour. Maybe that's just me. I found Kerry Butler's interpretation of Audrey more interesting and fresh than Hunter's Seymour. (And I know that I am in the vast minority here.)

Al Dente, where does it say that Seymour has to be waifish and hungry looking? As I remember, Lee Wilkof originated the role Off-Off Broadway, and he didn't look anywhere NEAR starving then! I honestly can see almost about any type playing Seymour, as long as they can come across as a victim. Actually in the script there is no reference to being of a certain type for Seymour. Mark, that might be a different matter - but then again, where did it say that Mark was starving to death?

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

JohnPopa Profile Photo
JohnPopa
#37re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 9:50am

"Why not let Foster's stand-by take over rather than letting big names fill boards attracting nothing but tourists. "

You answered your own question.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#38re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 9:52am

Casting of Joey Fatone in Little Shop does not upset me. This guy has a genuine love for live theatre and at least we know he can sing. It's much better than casting say Justin Timberlake (gag me) for instance or talent free, flash in the pan, Lance Bass.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

BroadwayBound06 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound06
#39re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 9:54am

Good point. And about looking starving and scrawny. Everyone in RENT is starving.

BwayTheatre11
#40re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 10:37am

Damn, this pisses me off. I am getting fed up with this ridiculous, money hungry casting! The show will be gone by July.

CCM '10!

StraightToHeaven
#41re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 10:55am

I've heard Joey Fatone in Rent. Various promotional clips and what not. I wasn't impressed but hopefully Rent helped him improve as a performer and he is hopefully more used to doing 8 shows a week. It is kinda of weird to picture him and Kerry Butler as a couple though...

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#42re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 11:31am

Poor Douglas Sills. How degrading.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

Ilive4nyc Profile Photo
Ilive4nyc
#43re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 2:29pm

Ok everyone, get ready for all the teenage girls and barricades to be at the stage door. I feel bad for everyone else in the show who will do much better performing their jobs. They will kind of be put on the back burner now. Makes me wonder if Doug and Kerry are leaving soon too. I've seen the show twice and loved Hunter in that role, I felt it was perfect for him. But I know actors must move on and expand their horizons. Don't think I'll be going back to LSOH anytime soon.

"It's like I'm your lover or more like your ghost. I spend the day wondering what you do where you go" "A log is like this big around, you're lucky your head didn't fall off, you best get yourself to a hospital....

bwaybabe85 Profile Photo
bwaybabe85
#44re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/14/04 at 6:03pm

There have always been barricades at LSOH, so that won't be new. lol. And I know Doug is leaving in June as well, but I have no clue about Kerry.

jezzebelle
#45re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/15/04 at 8:14am

personally, I thought he was terrible in RENT, but hey, who knows, maybe he'll surprise me in LSOH. I still hate stunt casting, though.

-Jess

Jamie Hat Profile Photo
Jamie Hat
#46re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/15/04 at 10:12am

So sad. I wonder how long they are going to drag LSOH out. It's really not worth it. Joey will give them a few more months of teenage girls I suppose.

Al Dente Profile Photo
Al Dente
#47re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/15/04 at 2:37pm

I didn't say it was the gospel according to Al, I just find Fatone to be a bit healthy looking. That's all. Both roles seem to me to call for someone with a bit more desperation to their appearance. To me, that spells a bit less beefy. Lee Wilkoff was NOT beefy.

Broadway724 Profile Photo
Broadway724
#48re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/15/04 at 2:38pm

the most exciting thing about this is getting to see jonathan rayson do the role for this 2 weeks or so.

TheGirlinTheFrock Profile Photo
TheGirlinTheFrock
#49re: Joey Fatone IS in Little shop
Posted: 5/15/04 at 2:51pm

grrr...stunt casting. Happy for Hunter and going into The Producers. Sad for LSoH that he is leaving. Ill post my comments about Mr. Fatone after he starts.

Though scattered and divided we are still its heart...AIDA SEPTEMBER 5th, 2004...one more longing backward glance... I AM NOW "TGIF!"

Videos