Act I finales

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#25ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 5:59pm

I thought Hairspray had a really neat Act 1 Finale! It went out on a really high note, and left you wanting more!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#26ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:02pm

Wicked (Defying Gravity, of course)
Rent (I just love LaVie Boheme)
Gypsy (...Comin Up Roses)
Hello, Dolly! (Before the Parade Passes By)
Les Miz (Hated the show but One Day More was phenomenal to say the least!)
Phantom (after youve seen it more than once, though, the chandelier loses its cliche and youre not very excited...the first time I saw it, though, I was shocked)

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#27ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:08pm

i say wicked. it was so powerful

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#28ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:14pm

DREAMGIRLS
c'mon folks, you got "It's All Over", the single best Act 1 solo since gypsy in "And I am Telling You I'm Not Going", and then, just when you've jumped out of your seats in a standing ovation, you get "Love Love Me Baby" and "Showbiz"
It's literally a roller coaster ride
there is nothing like it

DickonDefysGravity Profile Photo
DickonDefysGravity
#29ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:19pm

1. Wicked
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Hello Dolly

And you think of all of the things you've seen, and you wish that you could live in between ,and you're back again only different than before... After the Sky. -Into the Woods (Jack)

bdwybelle
#30ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:20pm

I don't remember many act one finale's. But from my memory, Wonderful Town - CONGA!!!

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#31ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 6:53pm

It's Supernice from Superman

Poster Emeritus

#32ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 7:13pm

A Tie for Me:

A Little Night Music - A Weekend in the Country WOWOWOWOWWOWOW

and

Effie's Turn ( Starting with the It's all Over leading into And I'm Telling You) Knocks me out everytime.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#33ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 11:37pm

Many people said Wicked. Not that I'm surprised, but I'm still in disbelief that people think it's well done. Personally, I was laughing at how bad it was. It's like they're making fun of musical theatre, but that's just my opinion.

So, my favorite act 1 closers:

Rent
Into the Woods
42nd Street
Evita
Gypsy

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

andyf
#34ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/23/04 at 11:46pm

Yeah, 42nd is pretty hot.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]

Jon
#35ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 12:02am

I saw CRAZY FOR YOU four times - twice on tour, twice on Broadway, and every time, the finish of I GOT RHYTHM had the audience CHEERING, WHOOPING, WHISTLING, and yelling BRAVO! I've never seen a reaction like that.

The reaction to the end of the first act of RENT was good, but the opening of Act 2 was even better. I saw the show just a few weeks afterit opened on Broadway - before it won all those Tony Awards, and before the original cast stareted losing their voices. When the cast walked out on stage at the start of Act 2 to sing "Seasons of Love", the audience gave them a STANDING OVATION. They weren't going to wait until the end of the show to let the cast know how much they were apprecicated.

greenifyed Profile Photo
greenifyed
#36ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 12:06am

RENT.

Every time I sit there, and I just have to take it all in. I don't think I've ever actually left my seat during intermission, because I'm always in shock.

And Wicked. Because I have to.

"The tick BOOM tick BOOM is so loud I can't hear the rain on the grass. I can't hear the wind. I'm about to scream. But I realize I'm not alone."

amiliablair Profile Photo
amiliablair
#37ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 12:48am

I would have to go with Les Miz as my first choice and Rent as a close second!!

lullabyofbroadway28
#38ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 12:52am

I love Into the Woods because you think it's over. That tricky Sondhiem!

pab Profile Photo
pab
#39ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 12:58am

Don't forget James Lapine.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#40ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 1:12am

Ragtime(you had to know I was gonna say it)
Dreamgirls
A Little Night Music ( I love, love, love, A Weekend In the Country

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#41ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 5:40am

For sheer spectacle: the Witches of Eastwick - not a huge shock that I'd say that, I know, but what other show has three ladies flying over your head? (providing the effect works of course). Don't even get me started on that pathetic excuse for flying in Wicked . . . ACT I FINALE

A Weekend in the Country and One Day More - I love full company numbers

Elisabeth - the trio singing Ich Gehor Nur Mir (sp?)

jo
#42ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 5:45am

ONE DAY MORE -

Nothing can beat this first act finale from Les Miserables for sheer drama, stirring music, and emotional fervor!

Jo

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#43ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 6:40am

Sweeney Todd -A little Priest
as much as i hate to say it One Day More
i second Anyone Can Whistle - Simple is just one of the most incredible Act One Finales ever.
Sunday in the Park with George absolutely! The way the characters make the painting while singing beautiful harmonies is just so moving. heck...i just love this show

KMF_NYC Profile Photo
KMF_NYC
#44ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 6:47am

In the many times this thread has surface --

I still stick to The Secret Garden -- when Mary opens the door, the sliver of light comes through -- the orchetra reaches it's closing crescendo and the curtain falls....perfect theatrical moment! (ok, I'm a big mush)

"Sir K, the Viscount of Uppity-shire...." -- kissmycookie

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#45ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 9:50am

ooooooo.....I forgot about Sunday. Absolutley brilliant!

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

iheartadampascal Profile Photo
iheartadampascal
#46ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 10:07am

That's definitely be RENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can anything compare to all that goes on in that scene? I'm thinking EFF NO!!!!

Or Les Mis... I cried through the whole show. The songs are so moving and powerful. I never left my seat.

VIVA LA VIE BOHEME!

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#47ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 10:32am

Thank you Marin! Yes A Little Night Music has the best act one finale in history. When done correctly A Weekend In The Country can be thrilling and send a chill down your spine.

It's also the most thrilling of any Act One finale I have ever done, although feeding Orin to Audrey II was alot of fun too.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

broadwayboy81 Profile Photo
broadwayboy81
#48ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 10:34am

Well... any Sondheim show song is amazing, but his Act 1 Finales always have a kick.

Sondheim aside, I would have to go with One Day More from Les Mis

apdarcey
#49ACT I FINALE
Posted: 11/24/04 at 3:48pm

i find it hard to believe that no one else likes miss saigon's act one finale? i think it's so incredibly emotional... kim and tam are leaving their home, their world with the engineer in order to find a better life for tam and hopefully find chris... the underlying themes are so heart-wrenching, not to mention the glorious solo (i'd give my life for you) followed by the whole company fleeing vietnam... ahhhhhhhhhhhh...

and then just for fun, the book report in yagmcb! this was my favorite number to perform... and every night it brought down the house... both the performers and the audience really love it so much and it's such a well constructed song... oh how i love this show! yay!

Videos