News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Best Show of The 90's

scotty Profile Photo
scotty
#25re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:12am

1. FALSETTO'S
and runner's up
2. FALSETTO'S
3. FALSETTO'S Updated On: 12/20/04 at 10:12 AM

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#26re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:22am

"and erm I dunno I guess you could say Lion King because it's been doing so well and it was the first Disney musical on Bway"

Actually Beauty and the Beast is the first Disney musical on broadway.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

#27re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:31am

For all the same reasons as tlk, I'd say Beauty and the Beast. Plus it brought families together and allowed them to enjoy theatre.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#28re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:33am

oh it was?! woooow okay theen never mind

well then the same thing except use Beauty and the Beast instead of The Lion King

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#29re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 11:14am

I have different categories:
Star turning experience: You're a Good Man Charlie Brown- KC
New Musical Experience: Rent
Underappreciated Musical Experience: Big
Best Musical Experience: Cabaret
Best Play Experience: Angels in America Parts 1 & 2
Best Show of the entire decade: Angels in America Parts 1 & 2

I like to be specific when I name my choices for these things.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#30re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 11:23am

urgh how did I forget YAGMCB HOW!

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#31re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 11:56am

There's no way I can just pick one, so I'll name all the shows from the 90's that most influenced me as a performer and inspired me to keep acting:

MUSICALS

Bring in 'da Noise, Bring in 'da Funk
Sunset Boulevard
Passion
Ragtime
Beauty and the Beast
Steel Pier
The Life
Parade
Fosse
Titanic
Blood Brothers
Chicago revival
Carousel revival
Cabaret revival
Rent

PLAYS

Angels in America
Love! Valour! Compassion!
Buried Child
The Last Night of Balyhoo
A Doll's House revival
Closer
Side Man

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#32re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 12:45pm

Best New Musical of the 90's:Ragtime
Best Revival of a Musical: Cabaret or Showboat

Best Play: Angels in America (Both Parts, although I think 2 is superior to 1)

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#33re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 1:16pm

Rent hands down! BUt yagmcb and cabaret were also amazing. I also loved the lion king but than again it was one of my favortite movies when i was little. As for plays, the vagina monelogues i found entertaining. However i didn't see many plays in the nineties.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#34re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 1:21pm

Ragtime
Tommy
Once on This Island

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#35re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 2:16pm

Oh, yeah. Add THE WHO'S TOMMY to my list.

THE WHO'S TOMMY
SUNSET BOULEVARD
RENT

are the best shows from the 90s.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#36re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 2:52pm

Big should NOT be on this list. Neither should Steel Pier or Sunset Boulevard. Gross.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#37re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 3:12pm

Three terrific musicals, probably the best of the 90's:

RENT
SIDE SHOW
KISS OF THE SPIDER WOMAN

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#38re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 3:27pm

Two words:

RAG.

TIME.

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#39re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 4:41pm

Yeah, I would have to say that Passion, Parade, City of Angels, and Once On This Island are right up towards the top of my list as well, but Ragtime just really takes the cake.

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

Sondheimman132
#40re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 4:55pm

Best musicals:
PASSION
SIDE SHOW
RAGTIME
CITY OF ANGELS

PLAYS:
ANGELS IN AMERICA

REVIVALS:
FOLLIES
COMPANY
CHICAGO

PUTTING IT TOGETHER also gets an honorable mention because it was just awesome how Sondheim put his songs together to make a review with a plot. What can I say? The man's a genius.

"Bang...The War Commences"
Updated On: 12/20/04 at 04:55 PM

NessaroseHeredia Profile Photo
NessaroseHeredia
#41re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 4:58pm

My vote goes to rent wholeheartedley

I'm a supposed-lesbian-possibly-anorexic-atheist-anarchist- model-prisoner-junkie- vampire-poet

Sondheimman132
#42re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:15pm

Adding a section:
Off-Broadway:
The two best off-bway shows of the 90's are:
HEDWIG AND THE ANGRY INCH
and
ZOMBIE PROM

ZOMBIE PROM is way underapprieciated, but it is pure fun when watching and listening to. C'mon everybody, you know it's awesome.

"Bang...The War Commences"

Loge Profile Photo
Loge
#43re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:56pm

RAGTIME is far and out the best musical of the 1990's. RENT would be a distant second. Best play = Angels in America.

"What the hell happened to you? You look like a Make-A-Wish Kid. You know, I just knew you were gonna bring shame on this new family of ours, and it just figures you had to go make yourself over into some heroin-shootin skate board chic on the only day E! could interview you!" - Cherry Cherry, on her daughter Mary Cherry

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#44re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:05pm

i have to agree with sondheimman132 about hedwig. Man does that show rock! but rent is still my favorite!

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

Eponinez.Rain
#45re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:13pm

For me (obviously, everyone has a different idea of what was the best), I would have to say that the best musical was easily RENT, though I think Lion King deserves an honorable mention(I LOVED that movie when I was little, and I thought the play was really, really well done... the only problem with the musical is that no one has a voice like Nathan Lane's, so no live Timon could ever possibly hope to satisfy me). I wouldn't put Sunset Boulevard on that list, though it is one of my favorite AWL shows. The best play is definately Angels in America... I think. I've never actually seen it, unforetunately. *is sad* I MUST SEE IT!

But now we have come almost to the end. One last step. And then, when I take power, they will be pulled down and ground into dirt for what they did to you. And what they did in so contemptuously underestimating me.

PleaseChangeMe
#46re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:18pm

Best Musical...well, there isn't just one, but there's Rent, Ragtime, Assassins (I can't believe you forgot about it), and Passion. Best Play - Angels In America. Duh!

magruder Profile Photo
magruder
#47re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 6:20pm

"Best" and "Big: The Musical" are words that I never want to see contained within the same sentence, ever again.

"Gif me the cobra jool!"

rockfenris2005
#48re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 7:55pm

Kiss of the Spider Woman YES! I forgot about this one :)

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#49re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 8:44pm

Miss Saigon without a doubt and RENT. Les Miserables was great too, but I liked Miss Saigon more. The Cabaret Revival was really good too!

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

Videos