pixeltracker

Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song- Page 2

Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song

ElTico68 Profile Photo
ElTico68
#25re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:22pm

What about "And I'm Telling You..." and "I'm NOt Changing" from Dreamgirls...

Happy, smile! Sad, frown! Use the corresponding face with the corresponding emotion! - Kate (Meg Ryan), French Kiss

apdarcey
#26re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:44pm

lupone's regina will be a concert version at the kennedy center this winter... it's on their website... andrew

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#27re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:52pm

If You Hadn't But You Did isn't difficult - it seems like it is because it's fast and has a lot of words. Try singing it - it's more fun than work.

I think this question is difficult to answer because it's not black and white - hardest to sing musically? Emotionally? To "act"?

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

erniebertchitown Profile Photo
erniebertchitown
#28re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 2:13pm

To add to those who've mentioned SWEENEY TODD already... there is a section for Judge Turpin when he's getting his shave that's right before "Pretty Women"...all he has to sing is "Bum"... but it's in 5/8 or some crazy tempo like that... it was one of the most difficult things I've ever sung. Learning to sing it in the correct written rhythm took forever!!! It looked easy... but sooooo deceptive!!!

While I've never sung "Glitter and Be Gay" (Ok... maybe in the shower) I would say that's a real toughy!

broadwayguy2001
#29re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 2:29pm

I must say that I do agree that many of Sondheim's works are difficult, has anyone listened to some of the more contemporary shows by contemporary music theatre composers such as Adam Guettel. I'm doing a performance of "Floyd Collins" this semester at the university I attend and I got the CD over Thanksgiving break and MAN, IS IT HARD! Lovely score, but there are parts where I honestly wonder how some of these actors got their notes. For a singer who knows every Sondheim show (even "Bounce"...lol), I would say this is pretty difficult.

#30re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 2:33pm

I was thinking you meant songs that were just difficult to sing cause they have horrible lyrics.

divacathe Profile Photo
divacathe
#31re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:29pm

Sweeney Todd is a beautiful, spine tingling, friggin hard show, that's all i have to say...:)

"Love is stupid and it bleeds, it satisfies my needs, I think it's wonderful..." ~Bill Finn is God!

BJC899
#32re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 4:07pm

That song from pirates in penzance that the general dude sings...It's super fast and so many words

Unworthy
#33re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 4:27pm

I think it all depends on what kind of "difficult" you're talking about.

There are those songs that are not so horrible vocally but when combined with something (either the accompaniment, the acting required, or what's happening on stage) are really hard. Most of Sweeney Todd falls into this category.

But then there are the songs that are just b*tches vocally; ranges all over the place, crazy lyrics, length (a lot of JRB stuff requires endurance), etc.

More modern musicals that don't follow traditional harmonic patterns as the earlier stuff did (although not always..and don't jump on me, I love the classics), can sometimes be more difficult to master.

It's all relative..yay!

Jwaa
#34re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 4:54pm

Your Fault from into teh woods isnt hard as long as you just listen to a recording of it over and over and jus sing in your part, if everyone does this it becomes a breeze.....

Getting Married Today also i dont think is that hard, me and my mate decided to learn it together and if you knew what you were syaing your fine.....

I cant really think of a hard one, i dont think a fast song can be that hard because if you know what you are doing then its fine..more just impressive...

Harder songs are ones which have a larger range demand..and ones that need certain feeling and emotion that you get recieve from just knowing timing and lyrics.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#35re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:08pm

The most physically demanding would have to be "Confrontation" from Jekyll & Hyde

Poster Emeritus

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#36re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:10pm

Rock Island from "The Music Man"

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#37re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:10pm

"Lion Tamer" from The Magic Show

It's not that bad for the singer
But the poor musicians...
It's in 7/4 time and switches between having 5 flats and 5 sharps, and the singer totally holds the reigns on the tempo.

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

Sporti2005
#38re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:19pm

"green finch" is hard, but i wouldn't count it up there with the hardest. i mean yeah, sometimes the notes are a little crazy - but once you get it in your ear it makes so much sense. at least to me it did.

i would have to agree with "your fault" - how complicated, with the entrances and all!

"grace, you're stuffed in a box getting rid of ass plaque. let's face it, this evening is a bust."

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#39re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:46pm

Glitter and Be Gay is definitely up there. Forgot that the first time. And Green Finch and Linnet Bird is really tough as well. Getting Married today is tough just to sing that fast without getting tongue-tied. Your Fault really isn't that hard. You just need a good music director.

If we're going for hardest physically/emotionally, I would most definitely say "And I Am Telling You" which is just high notes after high notes with emtional breakdowns and more vocal pyrotechnics. Many said that Jennifer Holliday would faint offstage after singing that song. Also hard physically is a lot of the stuff in Brooklyn, just because it is so high AND it's belted. For a song to end on a high F belted, you can't find many women that can do that 8 nights a week.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Dollypop
#40re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:18pm

My vote goes to "Pretty Little Picture" from FORUM. Of course the fact that the song barely has any reason to exist makes it even harder to deal with!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#41re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:56pm

Since it's been mentioned, I would say that the most difficult Sondheim lyric to sing isn't "Not Getting Married" or "Green Finch and Linnet Bird."

It's that god-awful tongue-twister in "Kiss Me":

"I'm a silly little ninny noddle."

I can't even speak those words in tempo. I can't imagine how anyone can sing them.

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#42re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:59pm

That's another good one! Let's just say the entire Sweeney Todd score.

Edit: I also have to mention "Loving You" from Passion. At least the solo version. It's got really weird (but gorgeous) key changes and intervals throughout the song.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...
Updated On: 1/4/05 at 09:59 PM

Mattio98
#43re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 10:04pm

Another Hundred People

mizzie Profile Photo
mizzie
#44re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 10:04pm

Alot of the Into The Woods stuff....Maybe They're Magic especially!

futurewinnerbud
#45re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 10:16pm

I'm singing "Marry Me a Little" from COMPANY for a class... its so hard for me at least...

I fear for any performer who brings Giants in the Sky into an audition, I've heard stories of accompiants saying "hell no" when its stuck in their faces at auditions

Once Upon a Time... okay out of context of the show, its HARD! And Raven from Brooklyn as well

Pity The Child from Chess

I've seen maybe 2 Jason Robert Brown songs pulled off well in any enviourment outisde of a theater, and I swear every voice class someone sings something by him and something from Wicked

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#46re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 10:17pm

"Kiss Me" is damn hard. I find "Green Finch" hard because the notes are all over the place, but once u get those down u think ur fine. Until u do it with an orchestra/or piano and find that what they play isn't related at all to what you sing and it's like "Whoa!" (I know this because back when I was a boy soprano my vocal coach thought she was the master and decided to have me sing it as her biggest triumph, she was messed up) Also "Your Fault" is hard in the sense of entering with your lines on time. and "Getting Married Today" is hard in the sense that you have to say all those words without sounding like ur just pretty much saying "blkshdhgfyjtdsfhg", pretty difficult.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#47re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 10:24pm

Hard Sondheim

Simple-Anyone Can Whistle
Buddy's Blues-Follies
Weekend in the Country-ALNM
Please Hello-PO
God That's Good!-Sweeney
Opening Doors-Merrily
Finishing the Hat-SITPWG
First Midnight-ITW

And I Read from Passion seems pretty difficult.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#48re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 10:29pm

Rose's Turn
And I am Telling You I'm Not Going
ANYTHING from Sondheim

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#49re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 10:30pm

yeah-I Read looks pretty difficult, not only for the wide range of notes and rhythyms that it covers but to be able to pull off that characterization is extremely difficult. Donna Murphy was crazy good in that show!

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

Videos