pixeltracker

Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song

Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#0Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:27am

So anyway yes there was probably a post like this within the past 2 years, but if there was...OH WELL!

Anyway, so yeah I used to think that Trouble from Music Man was the most difficult musical theatre song...the I discovered Company.

Not Getting Married....holy crap that is a hard-ass amazing song!

Any other difficult songs?

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#1re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:37am

I did not find "Trouble" to be that difficult a song to perform. A lot of words, mostly spoken to a rhythm, but not anywhere near as challenging as "Finishing the Hat" from SITPWG.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

MargoChanning
#2re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:42am

Sondheim mentioned "Someone Is Waiting" from Company as a song several actors (including Larry Kert) have told him they find very difficult to sing. He's said that there's something in the rhythm and the chord changes (he's not sure what) that several singers have told him are hard to perform absolutely accurately for some reason.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Plum
#3re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 1:43am

"Glitter and Be Gay" and "Getting Married Today" are quite difficult on a purely technical level. Something like "Rose's Turn" or "Lot's Wife" is difficult emotionally.

divacathe Profile Photo
divacathe
#4re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 2:51am

"If You Hadn't But You Did" I don't know who wrote this masterpiece but to listen...get Kristen Chenoweth's CD. She sings a beautiful rendition...hard song.....

"Love is stupid and it bleeds, it satisfies my needs, I think it's wonderful..." ~Bill Finn is God!

pab Profile Photo
pab
#5re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:02am

"If You Hadn't But You Did" was from "Two on the Aisle" 1951 and the songs were composed by Jule Styne, with lyrics written by Betty Comden and Adolph Green.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

divacathe Profile Photo
divacathe
#6re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:10am

NICE!:)

"Love is stupid and it bleeds, it satisfies my needs, I think it's wonderful..." ~Bill Finn is God!

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#7re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:18am

"Epiphany" from Sweeney Todd is really friggin' hard (how does one act it properly while singing it properly too?)

Man, if I'm going to keep on making Sweeney-based posts, I should at least change my icon so I don't look like I'm TOO obsessed...

pab Profile Photo
pab
#8re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:27am

Keep the icon, there is nothing wrong with being obsessed with the greatness that is "Sweeney Todd". I agree "Epiphany" is very difficult. So is "Green Finch", "Kiss Me" and for a chorus, combined with the leads, "God That's Good".

andyf
#9re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:29am

Yeah, I have to disagree with "Getting Married Today."
Unless you're COMPLETELY retarded, it shouldn't take you more than a couple tries to get the lyrics down.

In all fairness to you, it does seem crazy the first time you hear it, but if you actually try to do it...it's really not that bad.

Andrew, tonight isn't about you! It isn't even about me!!! - [FD]
Updated On: 1/4/05 at 03:29 AM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#10re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 3:38am

Well, check out the brain on Andy. Good thing he's not retarded.

magic8ball Profile Photo
magic8ball
#11re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 4:10am

"Pity the Child" from Chess is pretty damned difficult.

"Goodness is rewarded. Hope is guaranteed. Laughter builds strong bones. Right will intercede. Things you've said I often find I need, indeed. I see the world through your eyes. What's black and white is colorized. The knowledge you most dearly prized I'm eager to employ. You said that life has infinite joys."

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#12re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 6:48am

Practically all the choral stuff in "Into the Woods"...the title song in its many forms, "So Happy", the second act opener,
"Ever After",the first act closer, "Your Fault"...they are an absolute nightmare to learn and perform. All the other Sondheim shows are a breeze in comparison.

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#13re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:18am

"All the other Sondheim shows are a breeze in comparison."

I'd say all other Sondheim shows are a nightmare in compaison.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#14re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 8:49am

"Epiphany" from Sweeney is probably as difficult as it gets, alhough the whole score to Sweeney is very difficult. I think "The Letter" is another extremely difficult song, and in "City on Fire" it is very hard to master the lyrics.

"Sunday in the Park with George" is not an easy song to master.

"Getting Married Today" is also very difficult...

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#15re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:02am

Oh God, yes, I forgot City On Fire!!!

paradox_error
#16re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:11am

I'd say most Sondheim is a nightmare in comparison to other musical theatre...

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#17re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:15am

Oh, I don't know..have a listen to some Marc Blitzstein! Hey, I hear Ms. LuPone is going to do "Regina", his opera of "The Little Foxes" this year. Keep ears and eyes peeled.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#18re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:18am

Just from shows I've done:
Country House from Follies
A lot of the choral stuff in Assassins (We are Your Future Section), different groups come in a such different times and to try to keep count and stay in character is SO DIFF.

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

broadwayalto01 Profile Photo
broadwayalto01
#19re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:22am

I would have to go with...

Sunday in the Park with George
Your Fault from Into the Woods
Two's Company from The Magic Show

Life is like a patio door, you never know which side is open... and then you run into the glass.... ~Connie and Carla

wildcat Profile Photo
wildcat
#20re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:22am

But if you get out of time you could just shoot the others and keep singing.

paradox_error
#21re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 9:32am

I'll have to try that sometime Wildcat...

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#22re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:37am

Finishing The Hat from SITPWG.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

Switz78 Profile Photo
Switz78
#23re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 11:48am

Wildcat you nailed it. Regina is a b****. I can't think of the name right now (think it's Regina's Aria) the song that starts "Do you wish we had wed years ago..." Had to learn that when I was just starting out for voice lessons. Very difficult intervals and transitions.

~FloweryFriend~ Profile Photo
~FloweryFriend~
#24re: Most Difficult Musical Theatre Song
Posted: 1/4/05 at 12:17pm

"Green Finch and Linnet Bird"

Performers basically have to pull those notes straight out of the air.
The instrumental music has nothing in common with the melody.
It's insane.
And genius.

I starred in a short film called Magnetic Personality. Check it out!

Videos