pixeltracker

The very first original cast recording you bought?- Page 2

The very first original cast recording you bought?

Mark2
#25re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:55pm

Probably Annie since it was the first B'way show I ever saw. The first cast album I remember getting into before that was my parents copy of the OBC Flower Drum Song. I played every part in our livingroom at least once. It's still my favorite Rodgers and Hamm....

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#26re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:56pm

well my firsts were 3 on the same day: Annie Get Your Gun, Jesus Christ Superstar, and Les Miserables. Earlier than that I had the Grease movie...if that counts.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#27re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 12:58pm

My father bought me the recording of POTO on cassette when I was about...wow, I was really young.

The first one I ever bought myself was "Rent".

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Pinky Profile Photo
Pinky
#28re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 1:02pm

my parents lots of great stuff when I was young on LP.....however, the first OC CD I bought for myself was Miss Saigon! I had to get it myself b/c my parents wouldn't buy it for me. re: The very first original cast recording you bought?

Penn State Forever!!!!

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#29re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 1:07pm

RENT and POTO

The first cast recording I ever heard and listened to a lot when I was a child was my mom's copy of the Jesus Christ Superstar OBCR.

harris007 Profile Photo
harris007
#30re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 1:11pm

phantom and into the woods

Attend the tale of Bovine Boy His party threads we all enjoy But does he have Mad Cow Disease? He doesn't eat beef - but cows skating? - oh please!!! With cocoa!?! And lemonade!?! The heifer-mad poster of Broadway (World)

AlienOnBroadway
#31re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 1:16pm

The first one I listened to was my Dad's: They're Playing Our Song with Lucy Arnaz. The first one I purchased myself was A Chorus Line.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#32re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 1:22pm

the "official" first one was the west side story movie soundtrack which is my dad's. The first one bought expressly for me was the jekyll and hyde concept cast

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Sant
#33re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 1:29pm

CATS - Original London Cast Recording

perfusion Profile Photo
perfusion
#34re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 4:10pm

THE WIZ,it was the first show I ever saw & at 10 years old I had to have it ...I still have it.

maybethistime
#35re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 4:21pm

When I was really young, like 6 or 7, I found a huge stash of old Broadway LPs at my grandma's house and I listened to them nonstop for nearly my whole life. Now they're at my house, framed. The first musical CD I ever bought myself was THE SOUND OF MUSIC film sountrack when I was in 1st grade.

KChenowethfan Profile Photo
KChenowethfan
#36re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 4:41pm

It was either the OBCR of Oliver or Annie. I was probably around 10 years old.

"Why do you care what people might say? Why try to fit into their design?" (Side Show)

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#37re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 4:56pm

Bought with my very own money: CAROUSEL.

That's the short answer. Longer version for those interested follows....

I saw the movie version on TV and became obsessed with the score.

My parents had the Lp of the movie soundtrack, and my Grandmother passed along a set of 78 PRM records of the original Broadway cast. Problem was that the record of "Soliloquy" was broken. (For those younger members, 78's were like Lps but rotated at 78 revolutions per minutre and could hold about 4 minutes of music per side. They were pressed in heavy shellac and tended to break very easily. Shows were recorded on multiple records, usually 5 or 6, and sold in an "album" which usually had pictures from the show on the inside cover and sometimes even a booklet containing the synopsis and lyrics. This is why older shows from the 1940s and early 50s tended to shorten songs to fit the time limit of the records. The format was retired in the mid 1950s but even into the 1980s many turntables still offered the 78 RPM speed.)

Anyhow I was 10, saved up my money and had my Dad order the CAROUSEL Lp from his record club. It arrived weeks later but had a totally diffrent cover than the old album of 78s. Across the top was a bright pink banner advising the recored was "enhanced for stereo." To my ears all they did was add a lot of echo to it. But the songs were all there. Although for many years I wondered where you had to flip the 78 to hear part two of "Soliloquy" (it was so long they divided it over 2 sides of the 78.)

To order the record, my Dad consulted a book in his desk, the Schwann Catalogue of LP records. There were 4 whole pages listing hundreds of movie and show records. Under CAROUSEL they listed 4 versions: "OC" (Original cast) on Decca; One listed as "Drake,Turner, etc" on Command (this I later discovered was a stuio cast LP starring Aldred Drake); Another that said "Lincoln Ctr" on RCA Victor (the 1965 Lincoln Center revival with John Raitt) and the ST (soundtrack, from the movie which we already had)

I poured over the listings. I learned that ST/Soundtrack albums were from movies and OC/Original Casts were from stage productions.

I checked the catalogue against my parents' Lp collection. We had the ST of PAJAMA GAME (but not the OC); We had the OC of CAMELOT but not the ST. We had both versions of SOUND OF MUSIC. We had the OC of MOST HAPPY FELLA but ours was the "abridged version" and below that was another recording that Schwann advised was the complete show heard on 3 Lps.

Now, this was around 1970 when FM radio was mostly Classical and easy listening stations. (Rock and Pop music was relegated to AM radio back then!) And, believe it or not, many FM stations devoted entire 1 and 2 hour programs to playing full original cast and soundtrack albums on the air! Often with announcers telling the story of the show or movie between the songs! In our listening area there were 4 such programs on various days of the week. And they would sometimes play the alternate versions or shows we did not have, which I would record on my cassette recorder so I could add that album to our collection. Through these broadcasts I finally did hear the Lincoln Center CAROUSEL, the complete MOST HAPPY FELLA, the OC's of DAMN YANKEES, GYPSY ...and on the first Sunday in 1972... a new musical called ... FOLLIES. I played that tape over and over and My Dad finally bought me the Lp! That was my introduction to Sondheim.

Our local public library also had a decent selection of OC and ST records, and the publsihed scripts! I would sit down read the entire script and play the songs from the cast albums of MAME, CABARET, YOU'RE A GOOD MAN CHARLIE BROWN and COMPANY. I also discovered two wonderful books: The World of Musical Comedy by Stanley Green and Broadway's Greatest Musicals by Abe Laufe. These provided a great overview of the first 70 years of Broadway,and the Green book had short discography on each show listing OC, ST and SC (Studio cast) Lps.

Two things grew out of all this: A serious collector of Broadway musicals was born, and a career was made: I decided I wanted to go into radio and do a weekly Broadway program (did that) and write theatre reviews (I still do this.)

So when I see some of the younger members here getting obsessed with WICKED, RENT and PHANTOM I just smile and wonder how many future collectors and theatre reviewers are being born.

And now you know why I always insist on the correct terms being used for ST and OC recordings. My tag line says it all.....

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#38re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 4:59pm

First one I got was RENT. Got it as a gift for Christmas and it fueled my current cast recording obsession. :-P

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

TGIF Profile Photo
TGIF
#39re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 4:59pm

Oliver.

I want to write music. I want to sit down right now at my piano and write a song that people will listen to and remember and do the same thing every morning...for the rest of my life. - Jonathan Larson. Tick, Tick...BOOM!

CostumeMistress Profile Photo
CostumeMistress
#40.
Posted: 4/17/05 at 5:03pm

Avatar - Isaac, my blue-fronted Amazon parrot. Adopted 9/7/07. Age 30 (my pet is older than me!)
Updated On: 2/7/06 at 05:03 PM

DefyGravity23
#41re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:04pm

Wow, I really can't remember...usually I just borrowed my older sister's cast recordings to listen to so I wouldn't have to spend my own money on them, since I was quite young and didn't have a whole lot of money to spend. I guess the first one that I "stole" from her was either Annie, Joeseph, or Les Miserables.

QHDramaQueen
#42re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:11pm

Sweeny Todd was the first I remember hearing in my house and my first... oh wow.. maybe The Sound of Music or Grease?

MissMonika Profile Photo
MissMonika
#43re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:19pm

Phantom of the Opera. I totally fell in love with the story and the music and I remember that's the first OBCR that I bought.

Yes, I'm pinay. And I'm proud of it!

GirlforTartaglia Profile Photo
GirlforTartaglia
#44re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:28pm

Phantom when I was in like 3rd grade..
but I saw My Fair Lady when I was 4 and loved it.

And the other thing about the Phantom Lady was, Bert, she realized, in the city that never sleeps... What did she realize, Kitten? That all the songs she'd listened to, all the love songs, that they were only songs. What's wrong with that? Nothing, if you don't believe in them. But she did, you see. She believed in enchanted evenings, and she believed that a small cloud passed overhead and cried down on a flower bed, and she even believed there was breakfast to be had... Where? On Pluto. The mysterious, icy wastes of Pluto.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#45re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:31pm

Phantom of the Opera w/ Brightman and Crawford...

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

LiTtLeDaNcEr729 Profile Photo
LiTtLeDaNcEr729
#46re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:38pm

I'm only 16, but when I was 6 my parents brought me to see my first show (POTO)- it was the national tour. I was hooked and had my parents buy me the casette tape. Now my collection is around 250 recordings.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#47re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:39pm

When I was 5, my uncle got me OBC Les Mis. I think Carousel was my frist though.

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#48re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:39pm

I think the first one I bought with my own money was the Pippin OBCR

mywonderwa11 Profile Photo
mywonderwa11
#49re: The very first original cast recording you bought?
Posted: 4/17/05 at 7:45pm

i remember my first OCR like it was yesterday! i was in the 6th grade and went to new york city for the first time and saw my first broadway show...my first show, period! it was RENT and i got to see the full original cast. i fell in LOVE with musical theatre. when i got back to texas i immediately bought the RENT cast recording and listened to the voices every day, the voices that i made me fall in love with musical theatre. i've been hooked to broadway showtunes ever since.

"Somethin's comin', I don't know what it is but it is gonna be great!"

Videos