New Wicked Cast

BwayLover Profile Photo
BwayLover
#25re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 10:33am

Shoshanna is a very, very well known and pupular Jewish name. Not unique at all in certain circles - but still pretty.

"Years from now, when you talk about this - And you will - Be kind. "

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#26re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 11:09am

I think its such a pretty name...

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

Elphabuff2 Profile Photo
Elphabuff2
#27re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 11:20am

BwayLover, thanks for posting that. I did not know "Shoshana" was such a popular Jewish name until I think I mentioned the name to someone who said, "Oh yeah, that is my *insert relation here*'s name." It is quite a common name in the Jewish community, just as Idina ("Adinah," I think that's how she used to spell it; I know "Menzel" used to be "Mentzel") is somewhat common in that culture.

BTW, Shoshana is contracted through January of 2006. I personally believe that she will not extend, at least not significantly, and pursue her recording career that she put on hold to take over for Elphaba.

pab Profile Photo
pab
#28re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 11:27am

"I am sorry to say but Rue McClanahan was not a good Morrible. I was disappointed b/c I expected her to be good and I was excited about her being in Wicked but I did not like her at all. She cannot sing so all the singing parts she just spoke. It was really upsetting. Her acting wasn't that bad. Even during "Defying Gravity" when she makes the announcement about the wicked witch it wasn't scary like Carole Shelley's, it was kinda weak. "

Why does this not surprise me?

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#29re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 11:36am

Rue McClanahan CAN sing...she's probably just settling into the role. She is walking into a role that Carole had almost a year to perfect before the show hit Broadway. I have the utmost confidence in her that she will master the role after she's got a few performances under her belt.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

ashley0139
#30re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 11:59am

Hopefully she (Rue) will get better as time goes on. I would absolutely love to see her in that role. Although it's quite different from Blanche.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#31re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:00pm

i really want to see the new cast now.
I heard they were really great

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

pab Profile Photo
pab
#32re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:34pm

"Rue McClanahan CAN sing...she's probably just settling into the role. She is walking into a role that Carole had almost a year to perfect before the show hit Broadway. I have the utmost confidence in her that she will master the role after she's got a few performances under her belt."

That's all well and good but tell that to all of the person who are spending $100 for a ticket now. Tell it to the people who have spent hundreds of dollars more to travel to New York to see the production and who also had to pay for airline tickets and hotel accommodations.

If an actor is going to star in a show they should be ready, for the paying audience, the night they go on. They should have had enough rehearsals beforehand so that they are ready to be seen by the pubic. If that has not happened then the understudy should do the part until the "star" is ready. I don't want to spend my hard earned money to see someone who is working toward mastering the role.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

jasobres
#33re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:36pm

Has anyone but me noticed that the understudies for Elphaba have been getting darker and darker? I mean has anyone ever seen Saycon as Elphaba? How different is it when a black girl sings as Elphaba?

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

kim1061 Profile Photo
kim1061
#34re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 12:38pm

Does that really matter....

A dancer might dream to see her name in lights and mean it, but all she really dreams is to make someone else feel the way she did when she first saw a dancer. And that is so beautiful-Anonymous

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#35re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 1:30pm

pab, I see your point. But she is at quite an advanced age. Not saying that that should hinder her a great deal. But as far as their rehearsals go, let's just say that Ben was given more time in the studio than she. But, she is amazing, and she'll master the role as I said. Everyone has their off performances. For all we know she might have been feeling a bit under the weather last night.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#36re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 3:17pm

I'm sorry but no star who has only had a couple weeks of rehearsal is going to be completely ready and perfect on their first night. Give me a break, they need some to grow into the role, it's only natural.

romanov
#37re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 3:28pm

In reference to pab's comments,bravo!! I'm one of those people who have to spend a great deal of money just to get to New York. It is beyond irritating to spend money on a B'way show that turns into amatuer night.

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#38re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:41pm

Rue McClanahan is NO amateur.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#39re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:48pm

"Rue McClanahan is NO amateur."

"bows to FOAnatic*

romanov
#40re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 4:54pm

I don't care if it's Rue McClanahan or Zoe Caldwell or the ghost of Greta Garbo. If they have not had proper rehearsal time, they will appear to be amateurs!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#41re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:50pm

442, when I looked on the website it had not yet been updated. ANd I aslo think that as time goes on Rue will ease into the rolea nd get much better. How was Ben Vereen? I want to see him as the Wizard.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Derek
#42re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 7:19pm

Im very excited. Im sure that each new performer will grow with time. its only natural. Anyway I have recently seen the show and Shoshana and the rest of the cast are amazing. It just keeps getting better (as much as i LOVED idina and the originals)

deck925 Profile Photo
deck925
#43re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 7:34pm

i would also like to see Ben Vereen i have to say no offense but i wasn't a big fan of George Hearn because he pretty much shouted "Wonderful" which is one of my favorite songs. Is Shoshana any good? I've only seen the show once and I saw Idina. From what i've heard of Shoshana I'm not sure I like her it seems to me she sings the songs good but she lacks the kind of power that Idina had. This is only from hearing clips of her so I'm not saying she is bad. I've heard Megan Hilty is very good though (random change of topic :P)

I'm kind of a sweat pant, t-shirt, no make-up type of girl. So once a year, I can get spiffy. Sutton Foster :)

pab Profile Photo
pab
#44re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/1/05 at 7:44pm

I never called Rue an amateur. I've seen her perform and have been impressed with the quality of her work both on stage and in television. My problem is that Broadway, like it or not, is a business. People spend great deals of money to get to New York to see professional theatre.

No actor should be allowed to go on stage unprepared. If you spend money to see a show, that show should be at its best at all times. I know that people get better in roles as time goes on but if an actor is not ready, then it's the director and the producer's responsibility to ensure that they get ready before they are seen by the public.

If in fact she was bad last night, and that so far is only one person's opinion, then that is not acceptable. It's not acceptable if she is learning her character and growing into the role, while people pay their hard earned money to see her, and it's also not acceptable if she never gets better in the role.

ljay889 says: "I'm sorry but no star who has only had a couple weeks of rehearsal is going to be completely ready and perfect on their first night. Give me a break, they need some to grow into the role, it's only natural."

Well to that I say, I'm sorry too. If that is in fact the case, she should NOT have only had a couple of weeks of rehearsal. She should have been given enough time so that she WOULD be perfect on her first night.

What do you say to all of the people who paid top dollar to see that performance? Sorry but she was not ready yet, come back in month or so and she will be? That's just bull****! Those people seeing the show last night may never get another opportunity to get to New York to see another show. It's highly unprofessional and there should be no excuses for it.

Depaultheatrekid Profile Photo
Depaultheatrekid
#45re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 2:14pm

I was wondering why they changed the lover in the opening because when Joel Grey played the Wizard and Taye Diggs was in he did the opening and there wasnt a white guy why the change now?

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#46re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 2:53pm

Maybe they didn't think of it then?

Saycon is a very good Elphaba. Not in the singing, but in a lot of the spoken lines you can tell she brought black sass to Elphaba. Much like Idina's long Island attitude - but better.

Idina used to be Adena.

turtlelover6
#47re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 3:21pm

Are you serious about Adena. Idina isn't her real name?

"I guess the artichoke is steamed."

admanrich Profile Photo
admanrich
#48re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 3:36pm

Nope-- Adena Mentzel.

Not sure why she changed it to Idina, but she changed it to Menzel because everyone used to pronounce it with the T.

PJ
#49re: New Wicked Cast
Posted: 6/2/05 at 3:49pm

It was Adinah. Not Adena.

Videos