pixeltracker

Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls- Page 2

Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

EffieWhite Profile Photo
EffieWhite
#25re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 3:42pm

Capn Hook--there IS harm in auditioning someone for a role that they are not right for. They end up not doing well and then aren't considered for the role that they ARE right for.(which is exactly what happened to Fantasia)
I couldn't care less how big the Effie is--thats not what the story is about anyway. VOCALLY she is a Lorrell and not even vaguely right for Effie, which IS what the story is about.

"You got the same dress I got?" "Yes.""You got the same wig I got?" "Yes." THEN SHUT UP!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#26re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 3:50pm

How do you know she wasn't auditioned for both? I'm sure Condon would have at least considered her for both roles.

No - I don't think an audition is harmful at all.

And indeed, I believe it was yourself who said she blew them away at the audition. If Condon thinks she is right for Effie, then I trust his judgment and will have my own opinion after I see the film.

Vocally - she could do either role.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

EffieWhite Profile Photo
EffieWhite
#27re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:03pm

Well we are getting our information from two different sources. It wasn't me who said that she blew them away at the audition. I heard that she didn't do well at her audition and that she is not being considered for either role.
The point of DREAMGIRLS is that Effie has a huge voice that would not be considered "cross-over commercial". Fantasia is the epitome of a "cross-over commercial" voice. Truth be told, just on vocal style and sound, Fantasia could sing Deena. She is totally wrong for Effie.

"You got the same dress I got?" "Yes.""You got the same wig I got?" "Yes." THEN SHUT UP!

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#28re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:22pm

Well, form an opinion if you will, but I haven't seen her act, so I won't judge.

I heard the contrary. I was told she did very very well at auditions.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

BroadwayGirl107 Profile Photo
BroadwayGirl107
#29re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 4:48pm

I guess Tamyra Gray was forgotten. I can't understand why they'd see London and Barrino and not Gray. Did she escape everyone's memories?

Chevstriss
#30re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:37pm

actually, I think casted is a word. i.e.

The thoroughbred's tibia was temporarily casted until ready for surgery.

so if a film is "casted" it must have something to do w/ fiberglass or plaster which will hold it safely in one position.

I'd fire you... if you weren't so g*dd*mn beautiful out there. - Blades of Glory blog

zoran912 Profile Photo
zoran912
#31re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/13/05 at 6:46pm

Tamyra isn't half bad. In a role that she was actually right for, as in NOT Priya in Bombay Dreams, she could actually be alright. Not saying she's the best choice though.

Kavana Profile Photo
Kavana
#32re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 6:07am

why would most of you all want to see these american idols in this movie?

This is going to be a bad BET movie

JailyardGuy Profile Photo
JailyardGuy
#33re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 9:29am

not to continue this, but I heard they were looking for a total unknown to play Effie? And, isn't her weight kind of the *point* of the whole story?

"You been late, you been mean, and gettin fatter all the time!"

If one *must* go with already-in-our-faces-constantly talent, what about Frenchie Davis? God knows the girl can sing, and she is NO kind of skinny.

Suzanne: I never use catalogs. I'd rather go in the store and see all the salespeople groveling and sucking up to you. Julia: Pardon me, I never knew they were so solicitous at the K-Mart.

EffieWhite Profile Photo
EffieWhite
#34re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 10:36am

Interestingly enough, when the original breakdown went out for the character of Effie, it actually said "not overweight". (kids--I'm old and have been around forever so trust me.) The point was how she sang, not how she looked. After they met Jennifer Holliday and obviously HAD to use her, some stuff got re-written.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#35re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 11:05am

Margo has settled the issue of Effie's weight for us - I believe she said that Broadway has seen skinny, fat, and in-between Effie's and that the script doesn't call for an overweight actress.

Margo can say it better...

--Aristotle

doodlenyc Profile Photo
doodlenyc
#36re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 11:14am

She doesnt need to be fat...she is getting "fatter all the time..." because she is pregnant.

Many great Effies were thin.

I still dont think American Idol has produced a film star...none of the women, while good singers, have limited stage presence. Dont see any of them acting the emotional rollercoaster that Effie needs to go on.

"Carson has combined his passion for helping children with his love for one of Cincinnati's favorite past times - cornhole - to create a unique and exciting event perfect for a corporate outing, entertaining clients or family fun."

"In Oz, the verb is douchifizzation." PRS

Avigdor Profile Photo
Avigdor
#37re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 11:27am

THESE ARE NOT DIVAS..IT TAKES AT LEAST 2 DECDADES To become a DIVA..diva is defined by staying power.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#38re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 11:32am

Jailyard, do you know that the reason she has been getting "fatter all the time" is because she's pregnant?

As for Fantasia, I would hate to hear her screeching through that score, and singing "Yeah Yeah Yeah" after every line.

And, from the first time I heard Jennifer sing, I thought she would be the perfect Effie White. She definately has the voice, the look ,and can play the "attitude" (as we saw her role her eyes so many times on AI)
It would be great if they cast LaToya as Michelle Morris.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#39re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 12:08pm

Well, at least we won't have to wonder if they CAN sing!!!!!! Wasn't Hudson mentioned on here for Effie earlier?????? Well, this looks good for her......

Also, I think that Fantasia would be good for the Loretta Devine role Updated On: 6/14/05 at 12:08 PM

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#40re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:46pm

Feline, Fantasia's way of singing will not hurt her voice. She uses a gospel technique utilized most often by the legendary gospel singers "The Clark Singers." They've been singing like that for over 30 years and they all still sound great.

Effiewhite and Capn, this stuff about who was seen for Effie is hearsay. If you can provide a source or something then let me know. If she was seen for Effie, that was pointless 'cuz she has Lorell written all over her.

Kavana, you know you like BET movies.

Capn, I think Fantasia would be a good Lorell, not because of acting ability (you're right we havn't seen her act) but she can sing her but off and perform wonderfully. She has that old soul vibe about her that fits good with the 60's and 70's. Her demeanor is fun, sassy, and street. So, it's not really a stretch of the imagination to imagine her playing Lorell.

Effie White, I was with you until you said Fantasia could play Deena. I love her, but she's not nearly "pretty" enough. Nor is her voice smooth at all. Deena needs to have a light and clean sound. Fantasia is straight up soul.

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#41re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 7:53pm

"Now you watch your mouth, watch your mouth Miss Effie White, cuz I don't take that talk from no second-rate diva who can't substain!!!"

I didn't have anything to add, I just love it that there are other people in the world who know the lyrics to "It's All Over" re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls

EffieWhite Profile Photo
EffieWhite
#42re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 8:05pm

Well we have beaten this horse to death but...Thetruth, I didn't say that Fantasia should play Deena, I said that vocally she could sing Deena. And I promise you that I can back up everything I claim to have heard about the auditions in that the casting director is a friend of mine.
THE END.

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#43re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 8:24pm

She can't play Deena.

Now that's THE END.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#44re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 9:10pm

"Effiewhite and Capn, this stuff about who was seen for Effie is hearsay. If you can provide a source or something then let me know. If she was seen for Effie, that was pointless 'cuz she has Lorell written all over her."

Ummm - http://www.moviemusicals.net/news.html#061305

--Aristotle

Thetruth Profile Photo
Thetruth
#45re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 11:26pm

Ummmmm,Capn, I don't see where it says anything about Fantasia or Latoya being seen for Effie. It just says they were seen for leading parts. Then it goes on to talk about the open casting call.

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#46re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/14/05 at 11:34pm

I'm much more of a Jennifer Hudson fan, but Fantasia's rendition of "Summertime" gave me shivers. I'll be happy to see either in any role in Dreamgirls!

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

nztheatreluva Profile Photo
nztheatreluva
#47re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/15/05 at 12:36am

Ugh, I HATED Jennifer Hudson in AI! Then again, i'm still annoyed that Beyonce's in the movie. WHY CAN"T THEY GET PEOPLE CAUSE THEY ROCK INSTEAD OF GETTING THEM BECAUSE THEY"RE FAMOUS?

J'ai compris tous les mots, j'ai bien compris, merci.............

LightMyCandle Profile Photo
LightMyCandle
#48re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/15/05 at 12:51am

All this Idol chatter reminds me...

I saw Clay Aiken in concert this past Christmas season at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. He's gorgeous, but that's beside my point. He gave each of his backup singers (two female, one male) a chance to perform a solo song; one of whom absolutely blew me away.

Her name is Quiana Parlor and she sang 'My Grown Up Christmas List'. I thought the Garden would need to purchase a new roof. Lordy!! She has got such a strong, clear, powerful as all heck voice and I think she'd be absolutely amazing in the role of Effie.

She has a website, I'm just not sure of the exact address or if it has samples, but those of you that are interested you can send me a message and I'll give you a link to where you can download some of Clay's concert clips that feature the lovely Quiana.

i'm a tough act to follow because when i'm done i take the microphone with me.

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#49re: Idol divas audition for Dreamgirls
Posted: 6/15/05 at 1:01am

LaToya!! gawd she was awesome...I wanna hear more from her!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

Videos