pixeltracker

Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs from RENT?- Page 2

Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs from RENT?

BSoBW2
#25re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 12:31pm

I love Simone in the role, vocally.

Marcy Harriell (I love her, too, of course!)

I had no idea there is a competition between Daphne and Rosario.

SHEESH - I only hope Anthony Rapp can be better than Anthony Rapp or someone will castrate him...with that scarf.

(But I will wait until I see the movie to answer this question, since a large part of singing is in appearance.)

Updated On: 10/2/05 at 12:31 PM

GhettoBway Profile Photo
GhettoBway
#26re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 12:36pm

If Rosario had her way she would have sung all of Mimi's song in one key, she has no vocal skills.
LUV HER!

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#27re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 12:56pm

Ghetto, get real. You know that isn't even right.
Anywho, I miss Daphne's raw emotion on the song "Without You", but in Rosario's defense she does add a few nice touches to it.

I can't comment on any other "Mimis" I've only seen Daphne Rubin-Vega in the role and so far I've only heard Rosario. I only saw RENT in it's first year and that was beginning with it's New York Theatre Workshop engagement. After that I saw it at least 12 times it's first year on Broadway.

makenzimarciano
#28re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 1:00pm

Having only seen the show with the OBC and now hearing the soundtrack for the film, I have to say that I prefer Dawson. While her voice is a bit weaker in comparison I find it more pleasant to listen to. I don't enjoy Rubin-Vega's sound at all.

"Every blade of grass has an angel that bends over it and whispers, "Grow, grow." ~The Talmud
Updated On: 10/2/05 at 01:00 PM

MeliMel
#29re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 1:14pm

I love Rosario on the soundtrack and I like Daphne but I would take Caren Lyn Manuels Mimi anyday over anyone. Amazing.

The theatre is one of the most expressive and useful instruments for the edification of a country; it is also the barometer which makes its greatness or its descent. A theatre which is sensitive and well oriented in all its branches from tragedy to vaudeville can in a few years change the sensibilty of the people; theatre which has been destroyed, in which cloven hooves take the place of wings, can put to sleep an entire nation. A people that does not aid and encourage its theatre is moribund if not dead; the theatre which does not gather to itself the best of society, of history, the drama of its people and the genuine color of its landscape and its spirit, with laughter or tears, does not deserve to call itself theatre, but rather a place for that horrible thing which is called killing time.- Federico Garcia Lorca

AuditioningWaitress
#30re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 1:27pm

I prefer Daphne...I love her emotion on the tracks! Although I loved Caren Lyn when I saw not too long ago!

RockabyeHamlet
#31re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 2:00pm

Rosario dawson, hands down.

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#32re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 2:37pm

Rosario. She has a much crisper, more sexy voice than Daphne, IMO. I think Daphne's voice is a bit cloying on a first listen. It grows on you, while Rosarios grabs you by the neck and instantly pulls you into what she's singing, why, and how. She is outstanding on the soundtrack.

BreeDaniel Profile Photo
BreeDaniel
#33re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 2:42pm

I will never prefer Rosario, period.

NYCisHome Profile Photo
NYCisHome
#34re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 2:45pm

It's hard to choose. I really Like Daphene, but from what I've Rosario is amazing. I'm just going to have to wait for the movie to come out, then I'll tell you.

"Every exit is just an entrance to somewhere else."

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#35re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 3:17pm

Daphne, no contest. There may have been a few issues with Daphne that Rosario has improved on (I Should Tell You) but that was the rare exception. After listening to the Rent soundtrack non-stop all week, Rosario just doesn't evoke the same kind of emotion and excitement for me that Daphne does. It might be all the history/memories I have from listening to the OBCR more than the actual quality, but it's still important.

Oh, and I'm gonna be there on October 16th. I've never seen Karmine Alers, so I'm just barely gonna catch her.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 10/2/05 at 03:17 PM

musicman117 Profile Photo
musicman117
#36re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 3:30pm

Rosario Dawson

In all honesty, i really dont like Daphne Rubin-Vega. Her voice grates on me and i just cant take it.

But the one thing that i love about Rosario is that she really captrues that Mimi is 19 - something that i never felt from any of the other Mimis.

She has a pretty voice and she can hold her own. I dont think she could handle doing the show 8 nights a week, but i do think she was the right pick for the movie.

Besides, he version of "out tonight" is really good

leap_of_moo
#37re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 6:17pm

Each of them has their strengths and weaknesses. I prefer Daphne out of the two. She has so much emotional depth to her voice.

DefyingEDCT Profile Photo
DefyingEDCT
musicalfandukie Profile Photo
musicalfandukie
#39re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 6:33pm

Rosario Dawson for sure i never was a fan of dapne's voice.

kas Profile Photo
kas
rentheadcagofan12
#41re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 7:32pm

I prefer Daphne over Rosario. It's just because I LOVE Daphne's voice so much. It's just this thing she has in her voice that sends me over the edge. I love it. Daphne did *such* a great job. Gah, love the girl to death. (Sorry, fan-girl rant over) She's kinda 'love-her-or-hate-her', so, yeah. Rosario sounds great, the only problem with her on the cd is that, IMO, she tried to sound more like Jessica Simpson then she should've. Kind of pop-diva-ish for my taste. She could've tried to ease-up on that, but, toss that aside, and grand. Just grand. Rock-awwwwwn wit ya bad selves, all of ya in the movie. W00tay. But, anyway, I just think Daphne sounds better voice wise. But hey, just my opinion. :o)

*Edited for lack of good ending sentence, so you guys know who I actually like better now, haha*

Why does every one have a sarcastic, yet witty signature besides me? :-(
Updated On: 10/2/05 at 07:32 PM

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#42re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 7:40pm

Rosario. Her voice is really sexy.

LuvBroadwayHugs
#43re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 7:49pm

I think Rosario's voice is much sweeter than Daphne's so it's a little strange to hear a "sweet" Mimi after all these years. To be honest, I prefer Karmine as well, but from the two choices, I say Daphne because of the roughness in her voice. That epitomizes Mimi for me.

"Mrrraaaawwww!" ♥
Updated On: 10/2/05 at 07:49 PM

LaVieBoheme2 Profile Photo
LaVieBoheme2
#44re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 8:13pm

Daphne, Daphne, Daphne!!!

But I agree that Karmine Alers would have been perfect for the movie, she's my favorite Mimi.

Elyse. No day but Today. My avatar: me talking to Norbert Leo Butz.

kitkatt456 Profile Photo
kitkatt456
#45re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 8:31pm

I will always love Daphne more. She sounds amazing on the cast recording. I do really like how Rosario sounds on the soundtrack though. I agree that Karmine is the best mimi, I have never seen her, but I have her CD and I love her version of Out Tonight. She would have been amazing in the movie.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#46re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 8:36pm

Rosario is a better singer, Daphne is a better actress

neomystyk29 Profile Photo
neomystyk29
#47re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 8:53pm

I contest that Rosario will be the better actress, mostly because she was casted for her acting ability over her singing ability. Her look was the first thing though.

BwayBallerina2 Profile Photo
BwayBallerina2
#48re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 8:55pm

The two are so vocally different, that it's impossible to compare them. I like different aspects of both voices. Daphne definitely plays up the "tough" side of Mimi, while Rosario, shows the more vulnerable side. Karmine is my favorite Mimi so far (I've only seen a few,) because she has a nice balance between both sides of Mimi.

Becky
#49re: Who do you prefer Daphne Rubin-Vega or Rosario Dawson singing the songs
Posted: 10/2/05 at 10:34pm

Her bar work in Out Tonight was nothing to write home about (re: Simone)

If I remember correctly, she was scared of heights and wouldn't actually get up on the bars because of it.

Videos