pixeltracker

Lea's "I Dreamed A Dream"- Page 2

Lea's "I Dreamed A Dream"

Joelbeans
#25re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 9:39am

Have you daphnes-lovers listened to Miss Saigon the original? Where is the grittiness, where is the emotion, listen to that show, and tell me that Lea cannot channel the emotion needed to play the part of Fantine.

mustard
#26re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 9:55am

I've never really been a Lea fan. To me, her voice sounds like someone created the perfect singing robot. However... both times I saw Les Mis (in the 90s) the Fantines bottomed out on their low notes and it really pissed me off, so at least Lea has that going for her, since she hit them fine.

I would have liked to see Daphne in the role. I love her, but I can see how she might have been miscast. I don't know, since I haven't heard her sing it. But I DO know that I like my Eponines scrappy (like Ruffelle) and I would like to see a scrappy Fantine too, rather than an opera diva or a fembot. They're STREET PEOPLE. I'm so OVER this pop-belty **** on Broadway.

Cosette? Work it out with your trained voice girl (funny thing is, I've never liked the Cosette character). The others? Thank you. but NO.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#27re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 10:00am

Wow - she sounds great. Glad I'm going back to Les Miz with Lea there, already did the Daphne thing (and really didn't care for the raspy version at all)......

Ken

p.s.
#28re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 10:30am

NJRae: Ok, well now that others have said it its going to look like I'm just jumping on the bandwagon, but my original thought was that it is beautiful . . . but . . . where is the emotion?! Ok, she shows some on her face, but not in her voice. And I realize this is before rehearsals, but still. I really like Daphne's version better. Glad I'm not the only one who missed her grittiness and emotion. Lea's version may be prettier, but Daphne's is more real and certainly more original!

I heard Daphne at three different performances during previews, and seven times since then, most recently ten days ago. You, I am sure, agree that she has improved. So how can you dismiss Lea's one rendition, a full month before ANY rehearsals, with I realize this is before rehearsals, but still ... ?

Lea will be magnificent.

p.s. I would love to see Lea and Celia trade roles for a day or two.

lawyerman Profile Photo
lawyerman
#29re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 10:51am

im not bashing Lea. i dont know or care if she improves during rehearsals- im sure shell do a good job and sing the songs as they always have been sung. theres nothing wrong with that.

i just dont like her voice. its boring, and thin. im not critiquing her vocal styling or her acting ability- i just dont get what the fuss is about. i heard her sing Defying Gravity and thought the same- eh.

agreed that daphne isnt working if assholes are laughing at her onstage. but alice ripley woulda been the better choice.

imho.

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#30re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 11:13am

Based on that video alone, she sounds lovely...as always. The problem is that "lovely" isn't always what's called for. As with her Eponine, I find her voice is lacking the urgency, the desperation, the raw emotion that these characters require. I would still love to see her in full performance mode as Fantine, where I think she'll score better than as Eponine.

C is for Company
#31re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 11:17am

I'm sure that when that woman dons the dress, she will take on the life of the character and do it justice. I'm prepared to go in liking her just as I liked Daphne. Two different interpretations never hurt anyone.

Lea is just as fierce as anything I've ever seen just by listening to her in Miss Saigon and I can only imagine what a force she was onstage. I've no doubts she will fill the role nicely re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'

Wildcard
#32re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 11:27am

This performance was from a variety show. You can't expect her to go all out as Fantine when she is performing as Lea. At least we know she'll sing the song beautifully.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#33re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 11:40am

This is lovely! I;m so thankful this was shared. She'll be an exquisite Fantine.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

KQuill Profile Photo
KQuill
#34re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 1:48pm

What was with the applauding like it was the state of the union address?

My brief opinion: I think this is all turning out really well. They took a risk with Daphne, some people liked her and others did not. Us who liked her got a good dose of her and still have a chance to see her more before she leaves. As for eveyone else, now they get what they want.

I still think it was a rlly nice idea to have Daphne in the show. I mean there are SO many different characters played by people with amazing voices, why not change it up a little bit and bring Daphne's strengths to the show?

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#35re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 3:13pm

She'll be swell.

She'll be great.

Ken

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#36re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 3:19pm

This just made me excited to go see her in March.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#37re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 4:14pm

p.s.: I'm not bashing her and I'm not saying she doesn't have a pretty voice. And I did say that I understand that this was before she even started rehearsals. I'm sure how she performed at a concert will be different from how she performs in the show. I will be happy to see her at some point during the run. I'm just saying that I prefer Daphne's gritty, emotional, original take on the song to Lea's more traditional, pretty version.

And I have seen Daphne only three times in this show. The first two times were within about a week and a half of each other and she was great both days. The third time she was sick so hard to judge. But actors are going to (hopefully!) improve as they get more shows under their belt. That is to be expected. I'm not judging Lea on this one performance any more than anyone else here. Just stating my opinion.

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#38re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 4:20pm

Sounded like Daphne was sick the first day of previews also. At laest that's what everyone was wondering at intermission!

Hated the raspy version.......

StephenSondheimWHOO Profile Photo
StephenSondheimWHOO
#39re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 4:37pm

Beautiful!!
I have a question, If they make a Cast Recording, will it be Daphne or Lea on the recording?

dramaqueen2 Profile Photo
dramaqueen2
#40re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 5:10pm

aghhh that was beautiful... she is so fantastic!
i cannot wait to see her in this role! =D

<3

hear my song; it was made for the time when you don't know where to go, listen to the song that i sing, you'll be fine..

Zeitoujo
#41re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 8:50pm

omg! i cant wait for her. she is amazing unlike ms. rubin. cant wait to see her in the role =D =D

"Those You've Known And Lost Still Walk Behind You"-Spring Awakening

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#42re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 9:38pm

I love her! I'm crying now. Is she going to be there there long enough to be nominated for a tony?

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#43re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 10:19pm

"I have a question, If they make a Cast Recording, will it be Daphne or Lea on the recording?"

So far the word has been that there will be no cast recording made of the revival cast. re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#44re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 10:20pm

I love her! I'm crying now. Is she going to be there there long enough to be nominated for a tony?

It doesn't matter how long she's there. She was not the original revival Fantine, so even if she's there for the rest of the 15-year run, she wouldn't be eligible.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

wheredidhegogeorge2
#45re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 11:47pm

so i kinda wanna make sweet sweet love to her... is that wrong?

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#46re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/6/07 at 11:57pm

That is real good....I love lea...

Her voice may sound like a "perfect robot" but that's because it's PERFECT!!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#47re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 12:45am

Well, at least Lea Salonga sings the song in the correct key, the key in which it was written. Having I DREAMED A DREAM, not an extremely high song range-wise to begin with, lowered even if only by a half step bothers me. It tops out at a C above a middle C. I'm surprised DRV can't sing that.

eatlasagna
#48re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 2:17am

wheredidhegogeorge2, that is wrong... only because that's what i want to do... haha

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#49re: Lea's 'I Dreamed A Dream'
Posted: 2/7/07 at 10:15am

that's what I've wanted to do for 15 years

Videos