Posted: 1/3/08 at 8:21pm

The Producers

Elphabatize Profile Photo
Elphabatize
#26re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 8:22pm

Phantom of the Opera
Spring Awakening

I saw both because of all the hype it was getting and all my friends loved it. Saw them and they were "eh".

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#27re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 8:24pm

While iam not a fan of The King and I, you guys are right and really it is far from being a overrated show.
Just forget that i posted that.

:)

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#28re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 8:40pm

Quote: Wicked!!! WAY overrated

I love how you say that Wicked is overrated but yet your screen name has to do with Wicked.

I made it before I saw Wicked. Thought it was a cute song. I have since learned my lesson.

I also have to add Spelling Bee. I was expecting a lot more from it.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#29re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 8:40pm

The first thing to come to mind was Wicked.

I would agree with Spring Awakening and Rent.

Mbmusic Profile Photo
Mbmusic
#30re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:02pm

I don't think Wicked is that overrated. You have to remember that a huge part of Wicked's success is that it's for a teen audience. The pop score attracts so many teenagers that it has become as successful as it is. Not to say that adults don't love it, but that is a major force behind it's consistent success. Personally, I think the music is alright, but the story is perfectly good. I give it an A as a whole show. Very creative and innovative.

gypsy4
#31re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:07pm

Spring Awakening all the way.

Urban
#32re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:16pm

I think it is time somebody wrote a show called "Overrated! The Musical"

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#33re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:19pm

Phantom Of The Opera
Mama Mia!
Sound Of Music
Grease

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#34re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:20pm

Grease
Wicked
Cats
Rent
Phantom Of The Opera

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#35re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:20pm

Wicked
The Producers
Rent
Spring Awakening - I remember last year when people were calling it 'revolutionary'. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Gothampc
#36re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:22pm

The Fantastiks. It's a nice little musical, but 40+ years???

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

acrocksyo Profile Photo
acrocksyo
#37re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:38pm

Les Miserables, I wanted Val Jean to just die already, and all the effing excuses that he was making for not getting arrested, uh I would have just cuffed him and thrown him in the clink! Oh and the music was so pretentious. Bleh totally boring show.

Wicked, the music is fun and sweeping, but the book is so flawed, it just seemed like filler so that the actress of the moment can belt out some song about being a strong woman.

Curtains, it was just lacking something. They should have brought a showtune loving detective to fix that mess instead of the mess of the show within the show.

http://theaterfag.blogspot.com/ Reviews and the like

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#38re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:44pm

As a BIG BIG ABBA, Mamma Mia Fan i must say i would rather mamma mia being like the gazillion bubble show thing lol or stomp. I would keep everything the same as it is but just not label it a Broadway Musical. But then again what else could it be called..... But it does so well cause it makes people happy. Spamalot was funny but once you recognize the humor , jokes become old. Imagine having Diva's Lament (which is an Excellent song) repeat on and on on your mp3 player.... But Voulez Vous or Super Trouper makes your spine shiver with the beat if you listen to it again and again. That is my opinion. Also the cast of the shows across the world are perfect cause a BIG Hollywood NAME would IMO ruin the ABBAGASM Experience. Big names are great but for most of the viewers it becomes the main focus. Be Happy, BE Sad, reminisce about your own life and past or future. It is not supposed to beat any theater records but make the beats of your heart become enlightened in the darkest days of our lives. I suffer from very dark days and if the show was recorded onto a cd not the london cast crap but with the clapping and the oomph of the cast singing to an audience not a mic. For me it would turn my life upsidedown then it is now. The Word of the Bundy

Response: Thanks Be to ABBA (hey it means father)

go ahead and flame me lol i just am very passionate about what helps me out through this rough patch in my life

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

yellibean2
#39re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:49pm

LEGALLY BLONDE. Ugggh, I just can't see what anybody finds appealing in that show.
Rent
Wicked
Spamalot (I'm still upset not just over the fact that Piazza should have won, but that all three of the shows it was up against were about a million times better than this)

...just to name a few.

Mbmusic Profile Photo
Mbmusic
#40re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:58pm

"Les Miserables, I wanted Val Jean to just die already, and all the effing excuses that he was making for not getting arrested, uh I would have just cuffed him and thrown him in the clink! Oh and the music was so pretentious. Bleh totally boring show." -acrocksyo

And I don't suppose you'd say that wanting Valjean (one name, not two) "just die already" is at all pretentious? And if you overlooked the symbolic reason for Valjean surviving throughout the show's plot, then you are in no way qualified to be calling this show pretentious. I'm always respectful of people's opinions, but not when they say such nonsensical and ridiculous things. Figure out what the story of Les Miserables really means, then come back and call it a boring show.

george95
#41re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 9:59pm

I think that Grey Gardens is the most overrated musical. Do you remember when that show was out? All anybody every posted about was how obsessed they were with that darn show.........I just didnt see what made it worth being so obessive.

Now you know I gotta defend my Phantom. It was "rated" best musical for 1988, but what made it "over" rated??? The fact that it won Tonys for its sets and lights? You can't watch Phantom as a grump and sit there and be like "well, its certainly not Grey Gardens" and be a crab through the whole thing, because of course the theatricality of it won't work then.
And as for RENT, yeah it did receive a ton of praise and "ratings". But, you really have to judge from a 1996 perspective, and at that time, it really was something special. Its in that awkward time now where the 90's arent old enough to evoke much nostalgia, and you could already hear the teenyboppers on here sayin "oh my god they like totally have to like totally change like Rent, ok, like totally". And they miss the entire point--it captures what its like to be a poor 20-something so well.....it captures that ear of history so well (ok so it romanticized East Village life a little bit still)

Updated On: 1/3/08 at 09:59 PM

SporkGoddess
#42re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:03pm

acrocksyo: Read the Les Mis novel and you'll understand.

The musical's good IMO, but it'd have to try really hard to suck with such excellent source material. It will always remain inferior to the novel, I believe.

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#43re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:08pm

"Now you know I gotta defend my Phantom. It was "rated" best musical for 1988, but what made it "over" rated??? "

Well first, it was composed by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Not that all of his compositions are bad, but I personally dislike most of them (Except his anthems). I think Phantom was over rated because the music just wasn't that good. Even the plot itself wasn't that good. The design area's are spectacular, but imo, that's all the show has going for it. And ALW must be a hack because come on, The Phantom of Manhattan?

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"
Updated On: 1/3/08 at 10:08 PM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#44re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:09pm

Rent is in no way over rated

SA on the other hand is

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

george95
#45re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:11pm

Most people who dont like Phantom blame ALW for it, but its odd for me because Phantom is pretty much is only show that I DO like.

sondheimgeek Profile Photo
sondheimgeek
#46re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:14pm

I understand. I have tons of friends who love Phantom.

"Light the candles! Get the ice out! Roll the rug up, it's today!"

jsg03jd Profile Photo
jsg03jd
#47re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 10:18pm

THE LION KING.

My Sobriquet Profile Photo
My Sobriquet
#48re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 11:53pm

The Lion King
Wicked
Piazza
Curtains

Updated On: 1/3/08 at 11:53 PM

sesot Profile Photo
sesot
#49re: Overrated Musicals?
Posted: 1/3/08 at 11:59pm

I totally forgot about Cats- that and Spamalot are by far 2 of the worst musicals I ever saw. I don't understand why people are so passionate about these 2 shows. Spring Awakening is also overrated, but is still better than Cats and Spamalot.

Videos