Your first musical

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#25re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:12pm

Very first musical was from TV...The Sound of Music or Oliver!
First live musical was a regional production of West Side Story.
First Broadway musical was Miss Saigon with the Original Broadway Company.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

PotO2
#26re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:18pm

I have no idea what or when I saw my first musical (I've been seeing them all of my life). It was probably something like Music Man, Oklahoma, or Fiddler on the Roof.

The first Broadway show I saw was The Phantom of the Opera at the Majestic Theatre in New York when I was 13.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#27re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:20pm

Lion King. Thank the lord I didn't give up after that.

MerMaggieGalinda
#28re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:30pm

My first Broadway show I ever saw was Wicked when I was 15. It was a truly amazing experience.

lusciouslace Profile Photo
lusciouslace
#29re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:43pm

Cats in Chicago when I was 3 and I was hooked. I still remember certain parts of that particular show. I was lucky enough to live close to Chicago so for birthday or Christmas we went to see a show. (Not every year, but often) It was actually part of our Christmas Eve tradition to go to the city and see a show and go out to dinner. I was very lucky.

Firt Broadway show was Beauty and the Beast when I was 13. We also saw Cats at the Winter Garden on that trip. I think I liked the first one better. :)

bestfreakinshoes
#30re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:47pm

I loved anything with Judy Garland when I was little. And of course, I watched Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Gigi religiously when I was about 10.

I saw a local production of Stop the World I Want to Get Off when I was probably 8 or so.

The first musical I saw on Broadway was Jekyll & Hyde when I was 14.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#31re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:51pm

Chicago when I was around 16. Chita Rivera, Gwen Verdon and Jerry Orbach...wow....That's the standard I still hold every show to.

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

emmadny Profile Photo
emmadny
#32re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:52pm

Jerry Orbach..........DEP. Great actor

Dancinqueen123 Profile Photo
Dancinqueen123
#33re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 7:57pm

First Broadway show: The Lion King, in Chicago
First show on Broadway: Legally Blonde, back in June

<--Sometimes it's easier to get out of a jam than into one

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#34re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:03pm

First live musical was a Paper Mill Playhouse production of Peter Pan

Then, my first Broadway Show was Beauty and the Beast (with Marc Kudisch). I hate that (save for the Kudisch part).

But, what I like to use as my first GOOD show was my first West End show, Oliver (the Cameron Mackintosh production). I used to think that I saw Sally Dexter as Nancy, but I actually saw her replacement Sonia Swaby. It was the first performances that had a serious impact on my future theater going experiance.

Updated On: 3/10/08 at 08:03 PM

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#35re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:06pm

My ginko just kicked in and I remember seeing Rex Harrison in My Fair Lady and Chita in Bye Bye Birdie in 1960 when my family came to NY for the Worlds Fair. Unfortunately, I was too young to appreciate it at the time.
Updated On: 1/19/08 at 08:06 PM

MassiveMeGo Profile Photo
MassiveMeGo
#36re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:10pm

My first was A Chorus Line at the Schoenfeld. I was 17 and I was enchanted. I wanted to be up there singing and dancing to T&A but my favorite song was One. I still get chills.

grnsmwhr Profile Photo
grnsmwhr
#37re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:22pm

My first musical was Camelot with Robert Goulet in 1964, I was 10 and I was hooked. I started working as an usher when I was 14 so I could see the plays for free.

You see, obsessions are very personal things, they come from deep inside us, where we are open and vulnerable, which is why I consider them sacred, not to be belittled....PalJoey

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#38re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:32pm

The OBC of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.
That same trip I also saw the OBCs of Sweeney Todd and Evita along with two off-Broadway plays, William Hurt in Hamlet and Tammy Grimes in A Month in the Country.

Edit: Also on the same trip: Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney in Sugar Babies.
Updated On: 1/19/08 at 08:32 PM

bwaylvsong
#39re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:38pm

Beauty and the Beast when I was 6 with Kerry Butler, Marc Kudisch, and (standby at the time) Steve Blanchard.

Jade Profile Photo
Jade
#40re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:39pm

My first ever show was Cats on the West End when I was 4 or 5.

My first show in NY was I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change when I was 24. My first Broadway show was Rent, which I saw the next day.
Updated On: 1/19/08 at 08:39 PM

Liverpool Profile Photo
Liverpool
#41re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:42pm

I saw Phantom in LA at the age 5.

The first show i saw on broadway was The Producers back in 02 (i was 17)

luvcaroline Profile Photo
luvcaroline
#42re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:43pm

Wow, nmartin, with a line-up like that, you were destined to become a Broadway fan for life. I am really envious!

changinandhow Profile Photo
changinandhow
#43re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:48pm

My first musical that I can remember was Show Boat when I was 9ish... which I vaguely remember enjoying but looking back, definitely not understanding. My first show ON Broadway was Man of La Mancha with Brian Stokes Mitchell when I was 14. I loved it.

nmartin Profile Photo
nmartin
#44re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:53pm

Luvcaroline, I've always felt incredibly lucky to have seen all of those shows in 7 days. I have had many trips to NYC since, but none of them have been like that.

LePetiteFromage
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:54pm

Updated On: 5/8/09 at 08:54 PM

memphreblues
#46re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:55pm

My first musical was either Grease or Beauty and the Beast on tour- they were both a looong time ago (probably around 8 years old), so I can't remember which came first.

My first show on Broadway was Hairspray in July of 2007. Loved it, of course! It's been my favourite for years, so it was really special for me.

ShiksaGoddess2 Profile Photo
ShiksaGoddess2
#47re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 8:56pm

First broadway show I saw was Beauty and the Beast when I was 7ish.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#48re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 9:12pm

Les Miserables (original cast) when I was 7.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

insertclevernamehere Profile Photo
insertclevernamehere
#49re: Your first musical
Posted: 1/19/08 at 9:22pm

I think the first musical I ever saw was when I was 7/8. I saw Once Upon a Mattress at NYU when my cousin went there (she played Fred). But the first Broadway show I ever saw was when I was 15. I saw Mama Mia on a school trip and I HATED it. It wasn't until the next year, when we saw Sweet Charity and Hairspray, and I started to think that maybe this Broadway thing had a little credibility :)

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention...I'm the good cop, he's the bad cop.

Videos