pixeltracker

Flops that you would love to see get a revival...- Page 2

Flops that you would love to see get a revival...

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#25re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 8:14am

"Merrily We Roll Along" - it's time for a Broadway revival (I think I heard Roundabout is doing it next year, is that right?)

"Seussical" There is a really good show in there that got messed up by the Broadway Producers.

yankeegal Profile Photo
yankeegal
#26re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 8:17am

Cry-Baby - with a different female lead.
Updated On: 9/16/08 at 08:17 AM

Robert Taylor Profile Photo
Robert Taylor
#27re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 9:56am

The stage does not have to be green-less (did I just create a hyphenated phrase there?), I just think that it would be much better without looking like the inside of a split pea soup bowl that is almost empty but has all that green goo up on the sides.

Just think if there were layers and shadows the stage...and less green vomit chunks.

blondebaby589 Profile Photo
blondebaby589
#28re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 10:34am

Seussical
Civil War
Tarzan
Carrie

www.tinydancer5.tumblr.com

Jon
#29re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 10:55am

Wickedfan - the Red Shoes Ballet is now part of the American Ballet Theatre's repertoire. I don't know how often they revive it.

When I saw the Carousel revival at Lincoln Center in the early 90's, Sandra Brown, who played Louise, was out because she was doing Red Shoes at ABT.

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#30re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 11:19am

That is the best thing I have ever heard. That ballet made my childhood.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

ChecksintheMayo
#31re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 12:33pm

Ragtime
Chess
And, though technically not a flop, Parade. I really, really want Parade.

defyingravity11 Profile Photo
defyingravity11
#32re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 1:42pm

Ragtime
Seussical
Side Show

"In theater, the process of it is the experience. Everyone goes through the process, and everyone has the experience together. It doesn't last - only in people's memories and in their hearts. That's the beauty and sadness of it. But that's life - beauty and the sadness. And that is why theater is life." - Sherie Rene Scott

lvpblues
#33re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 1:43pm

I would love to see "Darling of the Day" come back. Especially with Vicki Clark as Alice. Not to mention, I would also love to hear her sing the First Lady in "1600 Pennsylvania Avenue"/"A White House Cantata." (She'd be perfect on "Duet for One").

Also, "A Time for Singing."

chenothegood Profile Photo
chenothegood
#34re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 2:16pm

Wild Party Lippa's version!
Yay I know it was just off broadway but come on it so should have been picked over LaChiusa's version to go to Broadway!!
And Side Show with Alice and Emily again!! (and yes i know they look a lot different now but still)

Spring Awakening 7.3.07!!, Wicked/ Rent 7.5.07!!, Legally Blonde 7.6.07!! The Color Purple 7.7.07!!, Gypsy 8.19.08!!, In the Heights/Wicked 8.20.08!!, The Little Mermaid 8.21.08!! Legally Blonde Tour 11.9.08!! Shrek 7.7.09!!, Blithe Spririt 7.8.09!!, 9 to 5 7.9.09!!, Next to Normal 7.10.09!!

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#35re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 3:35pm

SP1 I'm sure is the recording you're talking about, and that (despite that spectacular SINGING cast (Where's SporkGoddess by now!)) is the most boring of them all.

I couldn't disagree more. SP1 was the absolute funniest and most vibrant of the versions I saw. The audience was howling when Sills stopped the show with his banter at the top of Act II, which was cut in subsequent versions. The colorful costumes in the same scene being changed to all white was another puzzling choice. Previously, they had received a gasp followed by an ovation upon the reveal. When changed to white, the audience simply waited for the scene to begin, sans the hilarious Sills antics. Like Jekyll and Hyde, the show seemed to become less interesting and more trite upon each revision.

The Golden Apple
Goldilocks
All American
Rags
Plain and Fancy
Take Me Along

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

defyinggravity42694 Profile Photo
defyinggravity42694
#36re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 3:46pm

For those saying they want to see "Side Show", it is being revived. Lisa Brescia is one of the twins, only reason I know about it.

Goodbye

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#37re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 3:48pm

THE GOLDEN APPLE is at the top of my list but LaChiusa's THE WILD PARTY should be revived...but not for another 10-15 years or so.

EDIT: I'd also like to see David Rambo's reworking of PAINT YOUR WAGON, although that will probably never happen.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali
Updated On: 9/16/08 at 03:48 PM

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#38re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 4:00pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Smile, with Jane Krakowski as Brenda, Gregg Edelman as Big Bob, and a bunch of relative nobodies - preferably recent college graduates - as the girls.

Eponine3
#39re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 4:18pm

I would love to see Side Show get a revival...the music was just beautiful.. However if they do hopefully they will put "She's Gone" back in and stage "Tunnel of Love" in a better way.

I also would love to see Jekyll and Hyde get a revival.. but be done in a manner closer to to the tour with "Bring on the Men" and "I Need to Know" back... The main thing with J/H is just decide what you want it to be.. a serious dark Goth musical.. or a campy melodrama.. and do one or the other well .. not try to do a mix of both and do them both badly... Oh and also.. no "washed up star of the week" stunt casting allowed.. pick actors who can actually do the roles and do them well.

Pocketsquared Fanadu Profile Photo
Pocketsquared Fanadu
#40re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 5:16pm

OK, this was off-Broadway, and I'm dating myself because it was nearly 30 years ago, but I think "Trixie True, Teen Detective" would be right at home with the likes of "Xanadu" and some of the others. I remember seeing it at the Lucille Lortel and it was a lot of fun. Also, a lot of people have never heard of it. Here's a review from a later production: http://theater2.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=950DE0D9173EF937A1575AC0A96F948260

The last vampire is the mother of all vampires and that is the vampire of despair. It'll wake you up at 4am to say things like: Who do you think you are kidding? You look like a fool! No matter how hard you try, you'll never be good enough! Why is it that if some dude walked up to me on the subway platform and said these things, I'd think he was a mentally ill as-h-le, but if the vampire inside my head says it,It's the voice of reason! DIE VAMPIRE, DIE--[SUSAN in tos]

philly03 Profile Photo
philly03
#41re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 6:18pm

"SP1 I'm sure is the recording you're talking about, and that (despite that spectacular SINGING cast (Where's SporkGoddess by now!)) is the most boring of them all.

I couldn't disagree more. SP1 was the absolute funniest and most vibrant of the versions I saw. The audience was howling when Sills stopped the show with his banter at the top of Act II, which was cut in subsequent versions. The colorful costumes in the same scene being changed to all white was another puzzling choice. Previously, they had received a gasp followed by an ovation upon the reveal. When changed to white, the audience simply waited for the scene to begin, sans the hilarious Sills antics. Like Jekyll and Hyde, the show seemed to become less interesting and more trite upon each revision. "

You're entitled to your opinion, but I'm sure most people (and the producers/writers) liked the second/fourth edition more. I personally don't enjoy musicals with as much dialogue (from what I remember). I didn't find the scene where they rescued after Into the Fire too exciting, as I did with latter versions. Sills was great in SP1-2 & SP4, no doubt. He just shined with the material (something that a few others couldn't). It also didn't help to see leads that looked bored and didn't bother to sound like they have on any recording (cough t.m. cough/others after the Tonys) or live before. And the sets didn't change that much ever (minus the SP3/4 which changed the beginings a lot). The story got much tighter as it went on (and in my opinion by eliminated/adding only got funnier), and I truly think it only got better.

Jekyll, minus the ginormous bump that was called the Broadway run (which I still thoroughly enjoyable), has really only gotten better too. The international productions were really good and one of the few Non-Equity tours I didn't really have any complaints about. It's interesting that someone would add on here that they miss "I Need to Know" in Jekyll (usualyl now included). Personally, I don't like that song at all and it doesn't really fit, but regardless, Bring on the Men really should be (and Girls of the Night!).

DMsquared2 Profile Photo
DMsquared2
BNN
#43re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 6:31pm

Not sure of the flop status, buy Shenandoah.

Tick Tock

She_Had_Refinement Profile Photo
She_Had_Refinement
#44re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 6:39pm

Look to the Lillies
Hollywood Pinafore, or The Lad Who Loved a Salary

bwayfan9
#45re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 9:09pm

I thought The Pirate Queen had some beautiful music in it. If they reworked it and made some dramatic changes, the show could be a hit.

I love Flora the Red Menace, I hope to see a revival soon.

Obama/Biden 08

BobbyErikValjean Profile Photo
BobbyErikValjean
#46re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 9:18pm

Lestat.

*ducks*

gvendo2005 Profile Photo
gvendo2005
#47re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 9:52pm

Tanz der Vampire.

(No, NOT Dance of the Vampires. Tanz der Vampire. They are two fairly different shows. And it needs a new more direct translation of the title like the Hungarian production: "Vampire Ball.")

"There is no problem so big that it cannot be run away from." ~ Charles M. Schulz

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#48re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 10:27pm

I'm thrilled by the possibility of a revised Side Show coming back. I'd love to see a revision of The Life hit the stage. I also thought it had so much potential but suffered from a book that was unfocused and melodramatic. Am I the only one who never figured out why the Sam Harris role was included? Naturally, I'd want Lillias White back, just with some mathematical adjustments to the lyrics in "The Oldest Profession."

I've actually always been a fan of a lot of elements of Titanic as well. Hell, just bring back the 1997 and 1998 seasons! And this time, let them make their money back.

pli1018
#49re: Flops that you would love to see get a revival...
Posted: 9/16/08 at 10:50pm

Cry-Baby with better characterizations and actors for the leads.
(I love you Elizabeth Stanley, but this role just wasn't for you, regardless of how amazing you sang it!)

Videos